ADVERTISEMENT

SEC: The Weakest Major Conference in College Basketball

I told you it was a bait thread. You chose to let the OP get in your head that's on you. But since you think it is a slam on UK, and you're engaging in the discussion, you know exactly what you're getting into - so why hit us with this cloak of disguise suggesting you're seeking civil basketball discussion?

If this thread is what you say it is, there is not much room in it for civil discussion.

The purpose of the thread was to trash the SEC, and all the teams in it. There's enough laughter in the world go around to poke fun at multiple teams at the same time, not just UK.

It's incredible to research UGA and see they have 7 total NCAA wins. They had the human highlight film and Vern carry them to a FF, meaning they have literally done nothing else in their existence.

You want to try to turn this thread into a thought provoking thread and I gave you a few responses that were full of fun facts.

If the league is awful, which it is historically - see NCAA losing record for all teams combined not named UK/FL (you know, 85% of the league), then it's not too big of a stretch to dig on those teams that, lose on their own with or without threads like these.

OMG, a hater from a rival is knocking "our most wins in NCAA history" by calling out some of the toads we've beaten up on all these years! It's not like he's posting this on a UK board, a National Board, or your Facebook timeline. You got insecurity issues, bruh.

LO ! Like moths to a flame. SMH

By: Nathan Giese

Every college basketball season brings about the same arguments. One of the most highly debated amongst fans and scribes is which conference is the best. This season, most will see either the ACC or the Big Ten as the best conference, and rightfully so. At the top of the ACC sits four legitimate national title contenders while the Big Ten always has depth throughout the conference.

However, one conference usually gets left out of the debate because, well, they don’t deserve to be in the discussion. One conference amongst the major conferences, the SEC, is the weakest major conference in college basketball
Why is this? What has made the SEC, a conference that’s so dominant in college football, fall so far off its pedestal in basketball?
Because of the success Florida and Kentucky have had in recruiting, it has taken away what the rest of the SEC can do. Sure, there are some recruits that wind up in those other SEC schools that become NBA-caliber players, but they don’t get the same number, or even close to enough, solid players to keep up.

Right now, LSU and Tennessee are the best-case scenarios for the SEC to challenge Florida and Kentucky for conference supremacy, but even those schools don’t have what it takes to keep the battle consistent.

While most of the other major conferences in college basketball have no clear favorite to clinch the top two spots, the SEC has trouble finding a team other than Florida or Kentucky that has a logical shot and making it a battle. Realistically, only the Mountain West is less remarkable than the SEC, and some even find it hard to acknowledge that conference as a “major conference”.

The SEC is weak, and has been for quite some time. It’s hard to say just how weak it is, though, because college basketball has a tendency to be unpredictable. This is not anything new, either. It’s been happening for a while. Every time there’s a program that appears to be on the rise in the conference, they either lose their coach or so many of their top players that it’s hard to turn around and fill the voids with new players.

Looking at recent history, Ole Miss, Missouri and Vanderbilt have all given the Gators and Wildcats runs for their money, but they haven’t been consistent threats to the crown. It’s actually surprising when another team, those three included, are at the top of the standings for longer than a two or three-year period. It’ll continue to be surprising until we come to expect it, but who knows how long that’s going to be. As long as Donovan and Calipari stick with the college game, it may be a long, long time until a program can take it from there.

There’s no question about the disparity in talent between Florida and Kentucky and the rest of the SEC. It’s been happening for a while, but nobody’s really brought it up. The overall talent is no longer there for the conference and the Wildcats and Gators are reaping the rewards.

The SEC is perhaps the weakest major conference in college basketball, and it may be a while until they crawl out of the hole they are currently in.
Nothing but the truth........

By: Nathan Giese

Every college basketball season brings about the same arguments. One of the most highly debated amongst fans and scribes is which conference is the best. This season, most will see either the ACC or the Big Ten as the best conference, and rightfully so. At the top of the ACC sits four legitimate national title contenders while the Big Ten always has depth throughout the conference.

However, one conference usually gets left out of the debate because, well, they don’t deserve to be in the discussion. One conference amongst the major conferences, the SEC, is the weakest major conference in college basketball
Why is this? What has made the SEC, a conference that’s so dominant in college football, fall so far off its pedestal in basketball?
Because of the success Florida and Kentucky have had in recruiting, it has taken away what the rest of the SEC can do. Sure, there are some recruits that wind up in those other SEC schools that become NBA-caliber players, but they don’t get the same number, or even close to enough, solid players to keep up.

Right now, LSU and Tennessee are the best-case scenarios for the SEC to challenge Florida and Kentucky for conference supremacy, but even those schools don’t have what it takes to keep the battle consistent.

While most of the other major conferences in college basketball have no clear favorite to clinch the top two spots, the SEC has trouble finding a team other than Florida or Kentucky that has a logical shot and making it a battle. Realistically, only the Mountain West is less remarkable than the SEC, and some even find it hard to acknowledge that conference as a “major conference”.

The SEC is weak, and has been for quite some time. It’s hard to say just how weak it is, though, because college basketball has a tendency to be unpredictable. This is not anything new, either. It’s been happening for a while. Every time there’s a program that appears to be on the rise in the conference, they either lose their coach or so many of their top players that it’s hard to turn around and fill the voids with new players.

Looking at recent history, Ole Miss, Missouri and Vanderbilt have all given the Gators and Wildcats runs for their money, but they haven’t been consistent threats to the crown. It’s actually surprising when another team, those three included, are at the top of the standings for longer than a two or three-year period. It’ll continue to be surprising until we come to expect it, but who knows how long that’s going to be. As long as Donovan and Calipari stick with the college game, it may be a long, long time until a program can take it from there.

There’s no question about the disparity in talent between Florida and Kentucky and the rest of the SEC. It’s been happening for a while, but nobody’s really brought it up. The overall talent is no longer there for the conference and the Wildcats and Gators are reaping the rewards.

The SEC is perhaps the weakest major conference in college basketball, and it may be a while until they crawl out of the hole they are currently in.

Duke (@ Chicago)
@ UCLA
@ Kansas
Ohio State (@ Brooklyn)
Arizona St.
Louisville

Not a bad schedule at all.

It boils down to not only accepting reality, but also not having thin skin and being insecure about it. The SEC is probably the weakest of the P5 conferences. It's an anti "SEC" thread but it's pretty much true. I suppose a lot of time could be wasted lining up the PAC vs SEC, but I don't find the topic interesting enough to do really extensive research, I've already done enough.

Let's not pretend as if the SEC doesn't get taken to task nationally. Many of the programs have brought it on themselves. Just because a message is being posted here doesn't make it some sort of distortion of truth. Any UK fan kicking and screaming in this thread is insecure. You can't tell me with a straight face the conference isn't what the entire nation perceives it to be. UK fans sit around on their own boards complaining about it, yet for some reason when the rival pretty much shares the same opinion, it's worth getting worked up about. Whatevs!!!

The SEC always has enough athletes but those athletes aren't ready made players within most of the programs in most instances, and the coaching level has been inadequate for many years - which is the biggest problem. I won't pretend I don't notice Bruce Pearl as a good addition, or Avery Johnson might be, or whatshisname down @ Miss St.... but let's not pretend losing Billy D. at FLA doesn't impact the SEC either.

Arky and LSU are sleeping giant types. Maybe this wicked recruiting class for LSU will go to a high level, I'm not going to rule that out. Arky just doesn't appear poised to break through in the way they did under Nolan. Tenn is under appreciated I don't have time to look them up but they have won their share of games in the NCAAs. A&M and Missouri were kind of nice additions, but now Missouri looks more like a Division 2 roster than they do a team to be taken seriously.

USC/A&M/Vandy all look to be trending up.

Fine.

As of right now this league has underperformed for years I don't see how the league can be defended by anybody other than a UK fan that doesn't want their # of wins against this barf bag group of opponents to be laughed at.

I just don't get the insecurity. If you want to point out, for example, that the UofL football team's win last weekend was against a chump I'd respond and say, true story.
LOL

It boils down to not only accepting reality, but also not having thin skin and being insecure about it. The SEC is probably the weakest of the P5 conferences. It's an anti "SEC" thread but it's pretty much true. I suppose a lot of time could be wasted lining up the PAC vs SEC, but I don't find the topic interesting enough to do really extensive research, I've already done enough.

Let's not pretend as if the SEC doesn't get taken to task nationally. Many of the programs have brought it on themselves. Just because a message is being posted here doesn't make it some sort of distortion of truth. Any UK fan kicking and screaming in this thread is insecure. You can't tell me with a straight face the conference isn't what the entire nation perceives it to be. UK fans sit around on their own boards complaining about it, yet for some reason when the rival pretty much shares the same opinion, it's worth getting worked up about. Whatevs!!!

The SEC always has enough athletes but those athletes aren't ready made players within most of the programs in most instances, and the coaching level has been inadequate for many years - which is the biggest problem. I won't pretend I don't notice Bruce Pearl as a good addition, or Avery Johnson might be, or whatshisname down @ Miss St.... but let's not pretend losing Billy D. at FLA doesn't impact the SEC either.

Arky and LSU are sleeping giant types. Maybe this wicked recruiting class for LSU will go to a high level, I'm not going to rule that out. Arky just doesn't appear poised to break through in the way they did under Nolan. Tenn is under appreciated I don't have time to look them up but they have won their share of games in the NCAAs. A&M and Missouri were kind of nice additions, but now Missouri looks more like a Division 2 roster than they do a team to be taken seriously.

USC/A&M/Vandy all look to be trending up.

Fine.

As of right now this league has underperformed for years I don't see how the league can be defended by anybody other than a UK fan that doesn't want their # of wins against this barf bag group of opponents to be laughed at.

I just don't get the insecurity. If you want to point out, for example, that the UofL football team's win last weekend was against a chump I'd respond and say, true story.
LOL

I don't see how winning the SEC could even be characterized as "nice." How any legitimate basketball power could not at least win 9 out of 10 SEC championships is unfathomable. UK can't really be considered a top 5 program based on wins because it plays in the SEC. Therefore, a high amount of UK's wins are tainted because they came against SEC foes. I mean outside of the brief spurt FL had with Donovan, the SEC without UK is a mid-major basketball conference.
LOL

The SEC has had 6 different teams reach the Final Four as a member.

The ACC has had 7 different teams reach the Final Four as a member.

Of course teams like Louisville and Syracuse have multiple appearances as members of other conferences.

The ACC is way stronger than the SEC, no question about it. But that hasn't seemed to hurt UK in the tournament. They have a better win %, more wins and more titles than any ACC team.

And the ACC has its clunkers at the bottom, too. Clemson (7), Miami (6) and VaTech (6) have very few NCAA tournament wins.

Of course teams like Louisville and Syracuse have multiple appearances as members of other conferences.

The ACC is way stronger than the SEC, no question about it. But that hasn't seemed to hurt UK in the tournament. They have a better win %, more wins and more titles than any ACC team.

And the ACC has its clunkers at the bottom, too. Clemson (7), Miami (6) and VaTech (6) have very few NCAA tournament wins.

The fact that it haven't hurt UK during the tournament is the point. One could say that since conference play proceeds tournament play, UK does not have to go through the rigors similar teams in tougher conferences go through. Sorta like what SEC fans say about their football teams and what they have to go through (although people are now seeing how in fact the SEC football teams load up on weak OOC teams just to elevate and/or maintain their rankings so that they can point to beating rank teams in conference play). Take the Tim Duncan lead Wake Forest Demon Deacons. They never made it to a FF; however, they were clearly one of the best teams to come through the NCAA. Their lack of success with regard to FF and NCs could be contributed to a brutal ACC schedule. During this time, it was not only UNC but Duke, GaTech, FSU and Maryland that were national title contenders. If you were to look at the Big East, the same would hold true. So, playing in a weak SEC did UK a huge service and of course it would not effect their play in the tourney since they didn't have to play really hard in conference.

And, tournament success, especially with a one and done format, really isn't a great indicator of who is the superior team, IMO. A good team can get hot for six or seven games to win the title. The favorite haven't always been the last team standing. Now, if the tourney was set up as a best of five, the a true champion would be crowned.

Actually, the Tim Duncan Wake team can point to running into a Kentucky buzzsaw in the Elite 8 as the reason they failed to reach the Final Four. That Rick Pitino coached UK team was far superior to Wake, even without Derek Anderson.

I agree with your "best team doesn't always win the NCAA Tourney" take. If that were the case, Kentucky would have 4 and maybe even 5 titles in the last 6 years alone. And ol' Dean would've won more than 2 titles.

I don't think the football/basketball analogy holds up, though. In football, the actual physical beating really takes its toll. But some SEC fans do not realize that other Power 5 conferences beat up on each other just as much.

In basketball, the tougher schedules actually help teams when it comes to tournament time, IMO. That's why I am happy that Coach Cal tries to load up on tough OOC opponents at neutral or even road sites. I think those lessons pay off in March.

It's working out just fine because unlike UofK, there are plenty of other sports to be AS proud of at UofL, besides the last time I looked, the Cardinals have the last national championship basketball banner to brag about. Go ahead and enjoy your state title. Makes no difference to me. UofK is a one trick pony that was built on a foundation of corruption. No wonder you UofK blue bleeding dolts love Calipari so much. He fits.

That being said, the SEC is weak. The numbers don't lie. It hurt Kentucky last year not to have been battle tested consistently. They still reached the FF. That's why UK consistently plays the toughest OOC schedule in the country. (Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Louisville, Arizona St, Ohio St) this year alone. I'll stack that up against anyone any day. We almost have to do it this way due to the SEC not being committed to basketball as the ACC. The SEC is football, only 2 schools care more about basketball than football and that's UK and Vandy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pointing the corruption finger is a little misplaced based on the headlines of today don't you think? That being said, the SEC is weak. The numbers don't lie. It hurt Kentucky last year not to have been battle tested consistently. They still reached the FF. That's why UK consistently plays the toughest OOC schedule in the country. (Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Louisville, Arizona St, Ohio St) this year alone. I'll stack that up against anyone any day. We almost have to do it this way due to the SEC not being committed to basketball as the ACC. The SEC is football, only 2 schools care more about basketball than football and that's UK and Vandy.

SMH?

That being said, the SEC is weak. The numbers don't lie. It hurt Kentucky last year not to have been battle tested consistently. They still reached the FF. That's why UK consistently plays the toughest OOC schedule in the country. (Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Louisville, Arizona St, Ohio St) this year alone. I'll stack that up against anyone any day. We almost have to do it this way due to the SEC not being committed to basketball as the ACC. The SEC is football, only 2 schools care more about basketball than football and that's UK and Vandy.
The weakest !

Okay, now let's take Florida State out of the ACC and take a look at what ACC football looks like? SEC Basketball >>>>ACC football. The bottom line is the SEC is more consistent between the two money maker sports. There isn't another conference that is more balanced than the SEC in that arena than the SEC. Not the ACC, not the Big East, not tge Metro and not CUSA.

You haven't brought any fact that matters what matters and it also happens to be true is this.........The SEC is the weakest major conference in college basketball, has been for over five decades and it may be another decade until they crawl out of the hole they are currently in.
The Metro and CUSA were both better in college basketball during those decades.

"the SEC is weak in basketball...weh..."

Everyone and their brother beats this drum every year come late fall...we all know that the SEC is not a basketball conference...

there isn't a conference out there that is elite across the board...every one has at least one sport if not multiple sports in which they are not as strong as others..

how does that have any bearing on UL?...it doesn't...so no sense in getting hurt over it...

UL fans don't seem to be concerned about relative conference strength when it comes to football and those BCS Bowls...I think a lot of programs will take 5 games a year vs syracuse, pitt, uconn, usf, and cinci...

Syracuse, Uconn during the big east years, and now UNC and Duke may be legit...but Charlotte, Houston, TCU, Southern Miss, Tulane, East Carolina, UAB, St. Louis Depaul, Seaton Hall, Providence, Rutgers, USF, Cinci and now in the acc Boston College, G-Tech, V-Tech, Wake Forest, FSU, Miami aren't necessarily note worthy challenges on the way to March...

Last edited:

Everyone and their brother beats this drum every year come late fall...we all know that the SEC is not a basketball conference...

there isn't a conference out there that is elite across the board...every one has at least one sport if not multiple sports in which they are not as strong as others..

how does that have any bearing on UL?...it doesn't...so no sense in getting hurt over it...

UL fans don't seem to be concerned about relative conference strength when it comes to football and those BCS Bowls...I think a lot of programs will take 5 games a year vs syracuse, pitt, uconn, usf, and cinci...

Syracuse, Uconn during the big east years, and now UNC and Duke may be legit...but Charlotte, Houston, TCU, Southern Miss, Tulane, East Carolina, UAB, St. Louis Depaul, Seaton Hall, Providence, Rutgers, USF, Cinci and now in the acc Boston College, G-Tech, V-Tech, Wake Forest, FSU, Miami aren't necessarily note worthy challenges on the way to March...

You seem to be awfully concern about the how weak the SEC is in basketball or you wouldn't be posting all that nothing that you just posted ! LOL

You do realize that going by today's CFB rankings, we play 3 while your team plays 1 ranked team this year.

The point is more than 3/4 of the teams in the SEC are clunkers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT