ADVERTISEMENT

SEC: The Weakest Major Conference in College Basketball

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
By: Nathan Giese

Every college basketball season brings about the same arguments. One of the most highly debated amongst fans and scribes is which conference is the best. This season, most will see either the ACC or the Big Ten as the best conference, and rightfully so. At the top of the ACC sits four legitimate national title contenders while the Big Ten always has depth throughout the conference.

However, one conference usually gets left out of the debate because, well, they don’t deserve to be in the discussion. One conference amongst the major conferences, the SEC, is the weakest major conference in college basketball
Why is this? What has made the SEC, a conference that’s so dominant in college football, fall so far off its pedestal in basketball?
Because of the success Florida and Kentucky have had in recruiting, it has taken away what the rest of the SEC can do. Sure, there are some recruits that wind up in those other SEC schools that become NBA-caliber players, but they don’t get the same number, or even close to enough, solid players to keep up.

Right now, LSU and Tennessee are the best-case scenarios for the SEC to challenge Florida and Kentucky for conference supremacy, but even those schools don’t have what it takes to keep the battle consistent.

While most of the other major conferences in college basketball have no clear favorite to clinch the top two spots, the SEC has trouble finding a team other than Florida or Kentucky that has a logical shot and making it a battle. Realistically, only the Mountain West is less remarkable than the SEC, and some even find it hard to acknowledge that conference as a “major conference”.

The SEC is weak, and has been for quite some time. It’s hard to say just how weak it is, though, because college basketball has a tendency to be unpredictable. This is not anything new, either. It’s been happening for a while. Every time there’s a program that appears to be on the rise in the conference, they either lose their coach or so many of their top players that it’s hard to turn around and fill the voids with new players.

Looking at recent history, Ole Miss, Missouri and Vanderbilt have all given the Gators and Wildcats runs for their money, but they haven’t been consistent threats to the crown. It’s actually surprising when another team, those three included, are at the top of the standings for longer than a two or three-year period. It’ll continue to be surprising until we come to expect it, but who knows how long that’s going to be. As long as Donovan and Calipari stick with the college game, it may be a long, long time until a program can take it from there.

There’s no question about the disparity in talent between Florida and Kentucky and the rest of the SEC. It’s been happening for a while, but nobody’s really brought it up. The overall talent is no longer there for the conference and the Wildcats and Gators are reaping the rewards.

The SEC is perhaps the weakest major conference in college basketball, and it may be a while until they crawl out of the hole they are currently in.

Reactions: Bardman
By: Nathan Giese

Every college basketball season brings about the same arguments. One of the most highly debated amongst fans and scribes is which conference is the best. This season, most will see either the ACC or the Big Ten as the best conference, and rightfully so. At the top of the ACC sits four legitimate national title contenders while the Big Ten always has depth throughout the conference.

However, one conference usually gets left out of the debate because, well, they don’t deserve to be in the discussion. One conference amongst the major conferences, the SEC, is the weakest major conference in college basketball
Why is this? What has made the SEC, a conference that’s so dominant in college football, fall so far off its pedestal in basketball?
Because of the success Florida and Kentucky have had in recruiting, it has taken away what the rest of the SEC can do. Sure, there are some recruits that wind up in those other SEC schools that become NBA-caliber players, but they don’t get the same number, or even close to enough, solid players to keep up.

Right now, LSU and Tennessee are the best-case scenarios for the SEC to challenge Florida and Kentucky for conference supremacy, but even those schools don’t have what it takes to keep the battle consistent.

While most of the other major conferences in college basketball have no clear favorite to clinch the top two spots, the SEC has trouble finding a team other than Florida or Kentucky that has a logical shot and making it a battle. Realistically, only the Mountain West is less remarkable than the SEC, and some even find it hard to acknowledge that conference as a “major conference”.

The SEC is weak, and has been for quite some time. It’s hard to say just how weak it is, though, because college basketball has a tendency to be unpredictable. This is not anything new, either. It’s been happening for a while. Every time there’s a program that appears to be on the rise in the conference, they either lose their coach or so many of their top players that it’s hard to turn around and fill the voids with new players.

Looking at recent history, Ole Miss, Missouri and Vanderbilt have all given the Gators and Wildcats runs for their money, but they haven’t been consistent threats to the crown. It’s actually surprising when another team, those three included, are at the top of the standings for longer than a two or three-year period. It’ll continue to be surprising until we come to expect it, but who knows how long that’s going to be. As long as Donovan and Calipari stick with the college game, it may be a long, long time until a program can take it from there.

There’s no question about the disparity in talent between Florida and Kentucky and the rest of the SEC. It’s been happening for a while, but nobody’s really brought it up. The overall talent is no longer there for the conference and the Wildcats and Gators are reaping the rewards.

The SEC is perhaps the weakest major conference in college basketball, and it may be a while until they crawl out of the hole they are currently in.

Flat out the weakest conference the SEC, let' make this clear uk plays in the SEC (the weakest) The University of Louisville plays in the ACC ( the STRONGEST conference in the country)

So we're done here!!

When you are at the top of the college basketball world, there is no need to be propped up by your conferences accomplishments.
Duke is at the top of the college basketball world, Wisconsin fans say you blue holes aren't even second ! LOL
Keep drinking the blue Kool-Aid and hitting that meth, outside of the SEC uk isn't a top of anything !!

When you are at the top of the college basketball world, there is no need to be propped up by your conferences accomplishments.
Propped up by your conference schedule ??? LMAO Thanks for making my point, wow what a mindless twit blue hole you are. LOL
That's all you blue holes talk about is your SEC accomplishments, you got more SEC banners hanging in that rat trap rupp gym than anything else The weakest conference in college basketball........By the way UConn fans still laugh when they see anybody with uk gear on !!LOL
Oh yeah blue hole little boy blue the last team from this state to "sit atop the college basketball world" is The University of Louisville !!

Kentucky does not hang SEC banners in Rupp.

Pitino and Jurich only scheduled 4 teams with a winning record. Wow
Calipari and Barnhardt scheduled 8 games against teams that didn't have conference winning record too. Half of the SEC didn't have winning records in conference play. That is cupcake city baby!!

Nice try with the (conference record) reference. What is the overall record of Kentuckys non conference opponents? You know, the only part that coaches have control over.

Last edited:
Nice try with the (conference record) reference. What is the overall record of Kentuckys non conference opponents? You know, the only part that coaches have control over.
IDK what the overall record is. I don't really care enough to research it. Knock yourself out if you want to know.

Also, do you really think that it's out of UofK's control to play in a better basketball conference? ANY top basketball conference would take UofK. It's ALL they're known for. UofK built that distinct history on a foundation of cheating and playing in a weak basketball conference mainly known for being a football power.

No, UofK chooses to be that big fish in a puddle of water because they enjoy the lack of conference competition. It allows for easy wins and bulked up records which all UofK fans love to brag about.

Hey, you make a good point. It's a good thing our teams schedule an annual game so that we can clearly see who the superior team is. How's that working out for you?
It's working out just fine because unlike UofK, there are plenty of other sports to be AS proud of at UofL, besides the last time I looked, the Cardinals have the last national championship basketball banner to brag about. Go ahead and enjoy your state title. Makes no difference to me. UofK is a one trick pony that was built on a foundation of corruption. No wonder you UofK blue bleeding dolts love Calipari so much. He fits.

It's working out just fine because unlike UofK, there are plenty of other sports to be AS proud of at UofL, besides the last time I looked, the Cardinals have the last national championship basketball banner to brag about. Go ahead and enjoy your state title. Makes no difference to me. UofK is a one trick pony that was built on a foundation of corruption. No wonder you UofK blue bleeding dolts love Calipari so much. He fits.
It obviously matters to some of you guys if you feel the need to start a thread about how much stronger your conference is than ours. Seems a little insecure to me.

Reactions: UK till Death
The funny thing about the logic used by the guy who wrote that original article above is that it could be used to dismiss the overall depth and strength of pretty much every major conference. Duke and UNC are usually at the top of the ACC standings. Others may step in from time to time, but they will return to the top in due time. Mich State and Wisconsin are the cream of the Big Ten. Kansas may be the only team in the B12 that can be seen as the consistent program the author is after. It's funny, really. In the Big East now, it's UConn. In the PAC12, it's pretty much Arizona and UCLA, mostly Arizona and everyone else. Bottom line: that line of reasoning doesn't hold much water in distinguishing the SEC as weaker.

Now, there are reasons to believe that the SEC could have one of its best seasons in some time this year. If you're willing to listen to reason, here goes...
1. LSU will take a huge step forward this season. Yes, they lost a couple big players, but they have Ben Simmons and Antonio Blakeney coming in. Some are thinking Simmons could be a POY candidate both in the SEC and nationally.
2. Vanderbilt came on strong as the season drew to an end last year. They return everyone. They should be very tough.
3. Florida has lost Billy Donovan but they return the majority of their roster. Finney Smith is back, Kasey Hill is back, Devin Robinson, Alex Murphy, et al.
4. Texas A&M return Danuel House and Caruso who will be a tough duo.
5. Stefan Moody of Ole Miss will always make the Rebels a tough out.
6. Bruce Pearl has a year under his belt at Auburn and he always gets the most of his players.
7. The SEC has added 3 good coaches to the league: Rick Barnes to Tennessee, Ben Howland to Miss St, Avery Johnson to Alabama. These guys have all shown the ability to both recruit and win.

The final word I'd say here is that those who live in glass houses likely shouldn't throw stones. Have you guys seen the nonconference schedule of the Cards? Wow! I know the answer, though. You have to schedule weak when you play in the ACC. I get that. But if we're comparing UK's schedule with Louisville's, which is really more difficult overall? The Cats play UCLA at Pauley Pavilion, Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse, Duke in Chicago, Ohio State in Brooklyn, and Louisville at Rupp. Forget the rest. Am I to believe that AT Arkansas in Fayetteville is an easier game than home games against North Florida, Samford, Grand Canyon, St Francis, UMKC, Utah Valley, and Kennesaw State?

The funny thing about the logic used by the guy who wrote that original article above is that it could be used to dismiss the overall depth and strength of pretty much every major conference. Duke and UNC are usually at the top of the ACC standings. Others may step in from time to time, but they will return to the top in due time. Mich State and Wisconsin are the cream of the Big Ten. Kansas may be the only team in the B12 that can be seen as the consistent program the author is after. It's funny, really. In the Big East now, it's UConn. In the PAC12, it's pretty much Arizona and UCLA, mostly Arizona and everyone else. Bottom line: that line of reasoning doesn't hold much water in distinguishing the SEC as weaker.

Now, there are reasons to believe that the SEC could have one of its best seasons in some time this year. If you're willing to listen to reason, here goes...
1. LSU will take a huge step forward this season. Yes, they lost a couple big players, but they have Ben Simmons and Antonio Blakeney coming in. Some are thinking Simmons could be a POY candidate both in the SEC and nationally.
2. Vanderbilt came on strong as the season drew to an end last year. They return everyone. They should be very tough.
3. Florida has lost Billy Donovan but they return the majority of their roster. Finney Smith is back, Kasey Hill is back, Devin Robinson, Alex Murphy, et al.
4. Texas A&M return Danuel House and Caruso who will be a tough duo.
5. Stefan Moody of Ole Miss will always make the Rebels a tough out.
6. Bruce Pearl has a year under his belt at Auburn and he always gets the most of his players.
7. The SEC has added 3 good coaches to the league: Rick Barnes to Tennessee, Ben Howland to Miss St, Avery Johnson to Alabama. These guys have all shown the ability to both recruit and win.

The final word I'd say here is that those who live in glass houses likely shouldn't throw stones. Have you guys seen the nonconference schedule of the Cards? Wow! I know the answer, though. You have to schedule weak when you play in the ACC. I get that. But if we're comparing UK's schedule with Louisville's, which is really more difficult overall? The Cats play UCLA at Pauley Pavilion, Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse, Duke in Chicago, Ohio State in Brooklyn, and Louisville at Rupp. Forget the rest. Am I to believe that AT Arkansas in Fayetteville is an easier game than home games against North Florida, Samford, Grand Canyon, St Francis, UMKC, Utah Valley, and Kennesaw State?

Nice try blue hole, the fact is the SEC is the weakest basketball conference among the major conferences..........no matter how you spin with what if's and some phony beliefs about the SEC's future. Right now as it has been for two decades the SEC is the weakest conference in college basketball........period!

Nice try blue hole, the fact is the SEC is the weakest basketball conference among the major conferences..........no matter how you spin with what if's and some phony beliefs about the SEC's future. Right now as it has been for two decades the SEC is the weakest conference in college basketball........period!
I'll take this post as both a compliment to my post and as an admission that you're mostly just blowing smoke. By the way, how many times has this "weak conference" put teams into the Final Four in the last 10 years or so? And how many championships has it won? Florida won back to back titles less than 10 years ago. LSU went to the Final Four during Florida's first title run. Kentucky has been to 4 Final Fours since Cal arrived. Florida went to another Final Four in 2014.

So here is the conclusion. You may say that the SEC is weak, but the "weak conference" hasn't affected postseason play when it counts most.

Bottom line for UK is this (and this is all I care about): being in the SEC hasn't hurt the Cats. It may have helped with seeding at times. It also has apparently been preparing UK for postseason play just fine. So hey, I'll take it. :D

It obviously matters to some of you guys if you feel the need to start a thread about how much stronger your conference is than ours. Seems a little insecure to me.
I didn't start this thread but that sure didn't stop you from lumping us all into one group of people. I speak for myself. Every conference the Cardinals have been in since the Metro days has been a better basketball conference than UofK has been in EVER. The biggest difference is the Cardinals haven't been content with simply being a basketball school. The entire athletic department is now strong across the board, and we've done it without all the handouts from Frankfort. That single fact makes me very proud to call myself a UofL alumni.

So with that said, go enjoy your farce of a basketball program while it lasts. We at UofL enjoy true student-athletes looking to better themselves as people without cheapening the whole student-athlete experience.

I didn't start this thread but that sure didn't stop you from lumping us all into one group of people. I speak for myself. Every conference the Cardinals have been in since the Metro days has been a better basketball conference than UofK has been in EVER. The biggest difference is the Cardinals haven't been content with simply being a basketball school. The entire athletic department is now strong across the board, and we've done it without all the handouts from Frankfort. That single fact makes me very proud to call myself a UofL alumni.

So with that said, go enjoy your farce of a basketball program while it lasts. We at UofL enjoy true student-athletes looking to better themselves as people without cheapening the whole student-athlete experience.
Ahhh...so now we're bringing in the "yeah but we're better at football" argument. Shall we talk about conference strength now? Oh and last I checked, 2-0 is better than 0-2.

And as far as lumping you together, all I said was it obviously matters to some of you. If it didn't matter to you, why did you feel the need to chime in in the first place?

Ahhh...so now we're bringing in the "yeah but we're better at football" argument. Shall we talk about conference strength now? Oh and last I checked, 2-0 is better than 0-2.

And as far as lumping you together, all I said was it obviously matters to some of you. If it didn't matter to you, why did you feel the need to chime in in the first place?

Sometimes I enjoy feeding trolls and that's all I'm doing with you. Feeding you the attention you crave. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Still, you really have a hard time understanding what you read which isn't all that uncommon with trolls so I'm not surprised. Not one time did I mention UofL football. I said UofL has the better ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT while UofK is a one trick pony. Even someone with limited comprehensive skills such as yourself can't possibly dispute that. Then again in the world of sharp and dull knives, you are a spoon.

Sec isn't as weak as UOfL OOC schedule.

Cupcake city baby!

Yes it is, outside of maybe four teams the rest of the SEC is cupcake country......
The fact remains the SEC is the weakest conference in all of college basketball , no deflection there......uk plays in the weakest conference in college basketball !!! PERIOD !

Last edited:
Kentucky does not hang SEC banners in Rupp.

Pitino and Jurich only scheduled 4 teams with a winning record. Wow

Flat out the weakest conference the SEC, let' make this clear uk plays in the SEC (the weakest) The University of Louisville plays in the ACC ( the STRONGEST conference in the country)

Yes it is, outside of maybe four teams the rest of the SEC is cupcake country......
The fact remains the SEC is the weakest conference in all of college basketball , no deflection there......uk plays in the weakest conference in college basketball !!! PERIOD !

So, are you saying that the SEC is the weakest conference in ALL of college basketball, or the weakest major conference? Because if you're saying that it's the weakest major conference, then I would say you have a valid argument. But if you're saying the SEC is the weakest of ALL college basketball conferences, you obviously have never watched the Ivy League, Mid-Eastern, or Big Sky conferences.

Calipari and Barnhardt scheduled 8 games against teams that didn't have conference winning record too. Half of the SEC didn't have winning records in conference play. That is cupcake city baby!!

I know you're saying that half the SEC had a losing conference record last year as an insult against the conference, but in any situation where a certain number of teams play more than a few games against each other, about half the teams will have winning records, and about half the teams will have losing records. It's just how the math works out. In fact, last season every power 5 conference (including the ACC) had just as many teams with losing records in conference play as they had teams with winning conference records. The Pac-12 actually ended up with more teams with sub-.500 conference records.

I know you're saying that half the SEC had a losing conference record last year as an insult against the conference, but in any situation where a certain number of teams play more than a few games against each other, about half the teams will have winning records, and about half the teams will have losing records. It's just how the math works out. In fact, last season every power 5 conference (including the ACC) had just as many teams with losing records in conference play as they had teams with winning conference records. The Pac-12 actually ended up with more teams with sub-.500 conference records.

By the way, how many times has this "weak conference" put teams into the Final Four in the last 10 years or so?
To be fair,toting on the coattails of 2 teams hardly renders the rest of the league strong.Here lately,that number has shrunk to one.

So once again, are you saying that the SEC is the weakest power conference, or the weakest conference overall?

The thread isn't about how much stronger the ACC is than the SEC.

The thread is about the SEC being the weakest power conference of all the power conferences.

The thread compared the SEC to all the power conferences, not just the conference Louisville plays in. The thread's main point is the SEC is never in the conversation for top conference, and is, in fact, the worst of the P5. Thanks for using us as the measuring stick though, we take the compliment.

What you're showing is your insecurity, but good try accusing somebody else of that. You're the one going off topic. I won't blame you for failing to comprehend what you read in the initial post, because I'm not going to insult a stranger that fails to catch the basic premise of a thread.

But I will blame you for steering off topic and deflecting.

Reactions: shadow force
nice to answer for your fellow fan...

The fact remains the SEC is the weakest conference in college basketball , ......uk plays in the weakest conference in college basketball !!! University of Louisville plays in the toughest conference in college Basketball the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT