ADVERTISEMENT

Season Predictions

L1c4tillidie

One-Star Poster
Oct 10, 2015
Im sure everyone is like me and is happy to start the season and leave the offseason nonsense behind us. What do you all predict will occur this year?
Looking at the schedule it's hard to find a bunch of losses.
-Michigan St. will be tough on the road but they are still waiting on a player to get eligible. That one is a tossup.
-I'd call the sUcKs game a lock if it was at home. I still think we have a significant advantage inside and that our experience will carry us but you never know in that arena if you'll be playing 5 on 5 or 5 on 8. I'll call it a win for now.
The ACC will be a grind though.
-NC st. on the road. Maybe im just a pessimist but I think we go down in that matchup. Tough place to play and I think they are being overlooked.
-I think we split with both UVA and Duke. 2 very good matchups.
-At Notre Dame is another tossup.
-UNC is a tossup too. Thats a very good team there. I think the best in the country but I think there will be a lot of distractions for that team this year. I think this is the year where the academic scandal finally catches up to them.
So that leaves us 27-4 or 26-5 at the end of the regular season. Good enough for a top 2 seed and a deep run going to come in the tourney. Damion Lee will be a ACC POY candidate. Mangok is my breakthrough guy.

Im sure everyone is like me and is happy to start the season and leave the offseason nonsense behind us. What do you all predict will occur this year?
Looking at the schedule it's hard to find a bunch of losses.
-Michigan St. will be tough on the road but they are still waiting on a player to get eligible. That one is a tossup.
-I'd call the sUcKs game a lock if it was at home. I still think we have a significant advantage inside and that our experience will carry us but you never know in that arena if you'll be playing 5 on 5 or 5 on 8. I'll call it a win for now.
The ACC will be a grind though.
-NC st. on the road. Maybe im just a pessimist but I think we go down in that matchup. Tough place to play and I think they are being overlooked.
-I think we split with both UVA and Duke. 2 very good matchups.
-At Notre Dame is another tossup.
-UNC is a tossup too. Thats a very good team there. I think the best in the country but I think there will be a lot of distractions for that team this year. I think this is the year where the academic scandal finally catches up to them.
So that leaves us 27-4 or 26-5 at the end of the regular season. Good enough for a top 2 seed and a deep run going to come in the tourney. Damion Lee will be a ACC POY candidate. Mangok is my breakthrough guy.
I don't know. I thought we might take a small step back this year with the youth that we have on this team but I was listening to some of the media day coverage, Trey Lewis said that Rick's been telling them this is the best team in his 40 years of coaching. That got me pretty excited. If that's the case I don't think we lose more than 4 games. We do have an extremely tough schedule so it isn't going to be easy.

We are in a win-win situation. I think we have a chance to real very good which would position us for a nice tourney run. However, if for some reason, we are having a less than stellar season, we pull a Syracuse and self-impose a post-season ban and then get all this Katina crap behind us.

WAY too many new players in new situations and systems to make any knowledgeable forecast at this time. The Puerto Rico trip and red/white scrimmages haven't revealed anything IMO to make any bold statements about future success. We will begin to get some answers, like maybe the starting lineup, this weekend in the Bellarmine game, but won't really know how we stand against elite competition until we play Michigan St. on Dec. 2nd.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
Depends on the ACC.

We have about 3 tough road games for non-conference, MSU, STL and UK. By the time UK hits, should be 12-0, 11-1, with MSU being a good test for the players. Obviously, when you lose most of the talent we did, going to be some struggles. I think Pitino will have to "dumb" down some of the defensive sets for the transfers, but Damion Lee should be an allstar. If the moment is right, it will be tough, but we can beat UK. They lost a lot of guys. We play a system, they dont. Its the reason they lost to UW, system ball. It can help.

Once we get into ACC play, the guanlet begins. Duke, Pitt, ND, UVA, UNC, NC State. We might have the best SOS in the nation, with UK and MSU.

Pitino has scheduled accordingly, bunnies at the start, then the tough battles.

Pitinio is no slouch. Its not like hes going to not win more than 20 games. Dude is HOF for a reason.

Realistically, we probably expect 6-8 losses with this team, get in the tourney as a 4 seed. Make a good run. A terrible Uconn team, who beat by 30, won the NCAA as a 9 seed. So anything is possible, though its obvious we arent built like the 2013 team.

Quinton and Mangok should be the core with Lee, so we have a strong 3, just need Chinanu to step up, do a little inside out. With the freshman stepping up, I could be way off and we could see one of Pitino's best teams.

I think this whole scandel crap will energize him like it did with Sypher. Put that man in a corner, and he will win.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
We have better odds to lose more than 10 games than we do to lose less than 5. When Pitino says best team, I can only assume he means the best chemistry and work ethic. My prediction is 23-8 with some really tough games against MSU, UK, Duke, UNC, and Virginia. Teams like Notre Dame, Miami, NC State, FSU, and Pitt are going to give this team more than they want.

Reactions: wellnow
After what I just read regarding Lee and Lewis, I think we're in decent shape player wise. Both appear to be natural leaders and both are ready to embrace that challenge. You can read this and make up your own mind.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/30374527/crawford-louisvilles-lewis-lee-steal-the-show-at-acc-media-day

They both were obviously great representatives at ACC Media Day, and just as obviously had a great time doing it. Great guys and leaders. Well done, gentlemen.

Remember guys that are predicting a good season, the great Rick Bozich wanted to remind you in his recent column that Damion Lee and Trey Lewis aren't playing anymore in the Colonial Athletic Conference and Horizon League.

Seems like I remember the buffoon Bozich doubting Luke Hancock's impact on the Cards when he transferred from George Mason. How'd that turn out Rick? I'll trust Pitino again on this one.

I have no idea how this team is going to mesh or how much improved Nanu and Jalen Johnson will be which is huge. Cautiously optimistic.

The next time I listen to Rick Bozich will be the first. I trust Rick Pitino's knowledge and expertise over Rick Bozich all day long. That guy may be the biggest moron and Card hater of them all. The fact that Bozich has said what he said makes me even that much more certain that we will have a great season.

The next time I listen to Rick Bozich will be the first. I trust Rick Pitino's knowledge and expertise over Rick Bozich all day long. That guy may be the biggest moron and Card hater of them all. The fact that Bozich has said what he said makes me even that much more certain that we will have a great season.
Seriously, stop. We know you are a UK account.

I like your optimism, but there are way too many new faces getting playing time this year for me to go on a limb and make a prediction like that.

A huge talent drain the last 3 years (just like the FB program) has left us with this young & inexperienced team (yes, two 5th year seniors, but we all know how important learning Coach P's defensive system is and that takes some time). I think the basketball team this year mirrors the football team; except in this case, the early schedule is easy and the back end is difficult. I look for a fast start while maybe dropping a game or two it shouldn't while the team gels. And then there to be some bumps in the road once they get into ACC play with a strong finish in March.

A regular season record of 22-9 and a Top 25ish ranking by season's end is a realistic expectation for now. A Sweet 16 appearance in the NCAAT. Once they start playing and some questions are answered, I may adjust these expectations but that's all I feel comfortable with right now, since basically this is a brand new team over last year's.

I like your optimism, but there are way too many new faces getting playing time this year for me to go on a limb and make a prediction like that.

A huge talent drain the last 3 years (just like the FB program) has left us with this young & inexperienced team (yes, two 5th year seniors, but we all know how important learning Coach P's defensive system is and that takes some time). I think the basketball team this year mirrors the football team; except in this case, the early schedule is easy and the back end is difficult. I look for a fast start while maybe dropping a game or two it shouldn't while the team gels. And then there to be some bumps in the road once they get into ACC play with a strong finish in March.

A regular season record of 22-9 and a Top 25ish ranking by season's end is a realistic expectation for now. A Sweet 16 appearance in the NCAAT. Once they start playing and some questions are answered, I may adjust these expectations but that's all I feel comfortable with right now, since basically this is a brand new team over last year's.
We can agree to disagree there. At least we are talking about basketball now instead of the other junk.

Reactions: Louisvillian
I think 22-9. Easy opening schedule, then a few tough games. Guessing 3 OOC losses.
Then the meat grinder of ACC schedule... optimistically saying 6 losses there.

I say optimistic because of a young team + transfers... hard to know what to expect. This team could lose 12, or they could gel and only lose 3 or 4. I think a 1 or 2 win showing in ACC tournament. End of season ranking between 20-25. Could play up to a 4 seed, but most likely a 5 or 6.

Anything beyond Sweet Sixteen would be nice. I never count out RP when it comes to the big dance.

It's the eve of the season opener. I got to see the last exhibition. This team will be special. I have that feeling that we are about to shock the world.

I think this is a good thread for seeing how much this team has surpassed expectations. I urge all fans to cheer their hearts out from here on out. Remember no one on the team now is to blame for this and we don't even know the facts yet. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't just a problem here. So watch out rival fans because it's just a matter of time before you are implicated too and unlike us, you all don't have a ex ncaa investigator on your side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT