ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage thoughts...

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
I attended Friday night's scrimmage, my thoughts:

Q - didn't force anything, played within himself. The ultimate senior floor leader.

VJ - as advertised, a much better player, has added weight and is playing more physical. Expect him to have a great season.

Adel - looked great, will have a good year.

McMahon - looked really good until getting injured. We need him to give us 5-8 good minutes a game. Hope he gets back soon.

Ray - also much improved as has been publicized. Hope he continues to work on his game and aggressiveness.

Anas - he is replacing Ray as my most frustrating player. The guy will probably weigh what he does when he's 65 years old. I just wish he was meaner, more physical, more aggressive, etc. He's just not cut from that cloth but can still have a nice season.

Enoch - gonna be a nice player. Big & physical, look forward to seeing him play next season.

Darius Perry - really like his game. He plays with a swagger and believes that he "belongs", and he does. I look for him to play 12 -15 min a game.

Lance Thomas - I think down the road he can be a player here. Not a huge project, but playing behind a veteran front line.

Jordan Nwora - love his mindset. Aggressive offensively, looks to score, catches the ball with his feet set ready to shoot, has super quick release. I'm excited about him contributing. Can he guard anyone, jury still out?

Sutton - really like what I see. Struggled offensively but this kid will play. Look for the hometown product to be a crowd favorite. Will play defense, scrap and do the little things, very physical & agressive.

Malik Williams - I don't really understand how he will be used. Prefers the perimeter and shys away from the paint area. Yes, he got some rebounds but he remains the player I saw at the Derby Classic - a big who wants to play the 2 or 3 spot.

Jo Griffin - for a walk-on I like his confidence. I think he's a step up from Tyler Sharpe. McMahon type player minus the flair.

Redding - walk-on from Ft, Wayne, IN. Practice player who will probably struggle to see the floor. Does he pull a Levitch and someday carve himself out some minutes? Probably not but time will tell.

I encourage everyone to attend the next Red-White scrimmage on Friday 10/27. The team needs your support!

Last edited:
Thank you for the analysis! Sounds like the Bball team will be pretty solid. I have some friends that are team managers and they all say that this team has the potential to be great. They are expecting big things. I am as well. I just hope that the "Interim" tag can be expelled from the University soon. Whether that be Padgett and others getting the green light or finding suitable permanent employees in leadership positions in our athletic dept and our university president. The students and student-athletes deserve stability, but I digress.

Thank you for this write up and for giving us some positive news on the team. It is most welcome after recent events.

I'm still looking forward to watching and supporting this team.

Reactions: nccardfan
I'm really looking forward to the basketball season. I am really interested to see how well these young men handle the adversity they've been forced to face. We're going to have a solid basketball team IMO. Next year might be a different story though. We'll have to wait and see how that turns out.

Reactions: nccardfan
There's nothing wrong with our talent. But we have zero idea what kind of bench coach DP is. And history tells us there will be a major dropoff in that regard this year.

If anyone is "expecting big things", he's a fool. You might HOPE for it or say it's possible. But it's one helluva longshot that DP is anywhere close to the bench coach that Pitino was at this juncture. He can obviously get there, but he's thirty years younger than Pitino.

I hope I'm big time wrong, but that ain't likely in this case. And I always tell you when I'm just guessing or speculating...

To “expect big things” is foolish considering where we are at in the big picture. Now, with that being said, hoping or wishing for big things is another matter altogether. That’s where I am at this point. As zipp indicated is what we don’t know is CDP’s bench coaching ability. “Hoping” for the best in that situation.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Honestly, as long as he stays engaged and doesn't get overly emotional during the game, he should understand situational basketball. As a head coach, he manages minutes, and worries about who is foul trouble and looks for mismatches on the floor as they occur.

DP will be just fine.

I attended Friday night's scrimmage, my thoughts:

Q - didn't force anything, played within himself. The ultimate senior floor leader.

VJ - as advertised, a much better player, has added weight and is playing more physical. Expect him to have a great season.

Adel - looked great, will have a good year.

McMahon - looked really good until getting injured. We need him to give us 5-8 good minutes a game. Hope he gets back soon.

Ray - also much improved as has been publicized. Hope he continues to work on his game and aggressiveness.

Anas - he is replacing Ray as my most frustrating player. The guy will probably weigh what he does when he's 65 years old. I just wish he was meaner, more physical, more aggressive, etc. He's just not cut from that cloth but can still have a nice season.

Enoch - gonna be a nice player. Big & physical, look forward to seeing him play next season.

Darius Perry - really like his game. He plays with a swagger and believes that he "belongs", and he does. I look for him to play 12 -15 min a game.

Lance Thomas - I think down the road he can be a player here. Not a huge project, but playing behind a veteran front line.

Jordan Nwora - love his mindset. Aggressive offensively, looks to score, catches the ball with his feet set ready to shoot, has super quick release. I'm excited about him contributing. Can he guard anyone, jury still out?

Sutton - really like what I see. Struggled offensively but this kid will play. Look for the hometown product to be a crowd favorite. Will play defense, scrap and do the little things, very physical & agressive.

Malik Williams - I don't really understand how he will be used. Prefers the perimeter and shys away from the paint area. Yes, he got some rebounds but he remains the player I saw at the Derby Classic - a big who wants to play the 2 or 3 spot.

Jo Griffin - for a walk-on I like his confidence. I think he's a step up from Tyler Sharpe. McMahon type player minus the flair.

Redding - walk-on from Ft, Wayne, IN. Practice player who will probably struggle to see the floor. Does he pull a Levitch and someday carve himself out some minutes? Probably not but time will tell.

I encourage everyone to attend the next Red-White scrimmage on Friday 10/27. The team needs your support!
I noticed VJ had a lot of turnovers, were they a result of poor handling, or just bad communication on everyones part?

Honestly, as long as he stays engaged and doesn't get overly emotional during the game, he should understand situational basketball. As a head coach, he manages minutes, and worries about who is foul trouble and looks for mismatches on the floor as they occur.

DP will be just fine.
Just because an all time great coach made it look easy doesn't mean it is. He had been thrown into a tough spot

Can't think of any other programs having anything similar to what's happened here. I don't have any expectations under all these circumstances but I'm happy the kids are going to get to play some basketball.

Reactions: Cue Card
At UConn, following a legend, Kevin Ollie had only 2 years total, Assistant Coaching experience before he took over for the retiring Jim Calhoun. In his 2nd year as Head Coach he won a National Title with a seasoned Point Guard and a strong front court.

David Padgett has more time than that under Pitino and also was an Assistant under Terry Howard’s brother at IUPUI. He also is the son of a former coach.

No doubt, DP is in a tougher spot having to coach in the ACC in his first year and the crap that his team is going to hear on the road is something Ollie didn’t have to deal with.

Expectations always get you in trouble but it’s not unreasonable to be a little optimistic about this team.

Reactions: Cue Card
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT