ADVERTISEMENT

Satterfield Interviews

Thecycle27

Three-Star Poster
Sep 17, 2017
If true it really tells everyone he is not happy at Louisville. It is also a complete flip from how he handle leaving or exploring jobs while at App St. Vince is officially in a tough spot. Depending on the contract he probably can’t fire him. Pretty safe to say Satterfield is protected. He knows Vince doesn’t have the money to pay the buyout. Vince is probably praying Satterfield gets the job. That would be the cleanest way to move forward.

Can Satterfield even stay if he doesn’t get the job? Satterfield by interviewing officially lost the fan base. Recruiting becomes 10 times harder. No way to spin it, if he interviewed, he lied to everyone.

I don’t know that I believe he interviewed but if he did it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Agreed.
IF true that he interviewed he has lost the fan base and this will have major impact on the rebuilding process. Reminiscent of “ I am not cut like that”.....some of these folks believe they are indeed “not cut like that” and ,in short order, learn that they aren’t as loyal and wholesome as they believed themselves to be.
Our continual hope needs to be that, at some point, a football coach will fall in love with the University and the city ( as Coach Crum did, or Jeff Walz or McDonnel did) and over time make the head football coaching job here a destination job.

This is not good no matter which way you slice it. Frankly he must just not like Louisville because the USCjr job is not an upgrade over UofL.

Is Brian Brohm ready to take over?

Reactions: rh62531
If he was 7-3 right now and ranked, he could interview places and I’d understand.

He’s 3-7 and interviewing now even 2 years into his tenure.

It is fascinating to watch coaches blow their careers up chasing jobs. They make so much money they get a false sense of security. We have witnessed 4 coaches that left and are all basically out of the game.

Reactions: PHCARD
What it signals to me is that Satterfield is going to be asked to take a paycut if he stays at Louisville. With a 3-7 record and the athletic department projecting $25 million deficit this year, the AD is almost forced to ask coaches to take a 10% paycut.

Reactions: Mayoman and SoulSr
It is fascinating to watch coaches blow their careers up chasing jobs. They make so much money they get a false sense of security. We have witnessed 4 coaches that left and are all basically out of the game.

I call that a track record and pay back.

The guy drives - flies to Bowling Green for the interview ? The SC and Athletic sources were damn convinced 3 weeks ago SATT wanted the job and was going to interview for it. Satt denies it and then interviews after his denial. That's Petrino level arrogance - stupidity.

Guys, if he leaves, who cares? He’s not an elite coach. He provided a pleasantly surprising season last year. This year, not so much. I can’t envision there are any fans clamoring for him to be coach for life here.

I'm hoping he doesn't get the SC job. I think of all the possibilities, having 3 coaches in 4 years is the most damaging to our program. Negative recruiting is a fact of life no matter what. He'd have a harder time winning over the fans, but really it's ultimately all about W-L anyway.

Reactions: rh62531
I'm hoping he doesn't get the SC job. I think of all the possibilities, having 3 coaches in 4 years is the most damaging to our program. Negative recruiting is a fact of life no matter what. He'd have a harder time winning over the fans, but really it's ultimately all about W-L anyway.
I disagree, I’d rather him get the job if he interviewed an hire from within aka coach Brown. No recruits in the future would want to commit if he interviewed and lied to our current recruits, while obviously trying to find his way out of here. He knows his job is protected here too because we can’t afford another buy out. So if he stayed and interviewed it would he worse for the program

The damage is already done on the recruitment front.

Guys, if he leaves, who cares? He’s not an elite coach. He provided a pleasantly surprising season last year. This year, not so much. I can’t envision there are any fans clamoring for him to be coach for life here.

At this point I’d prefer he leave; however, we already have a depleted roster. Two weeks before signing day would be very problematic.

If Brian Brohm is ready then that’s of course a great option. Although I know they sucked this year, I think Dino Babers would get a look.

Well, I think we need to cut bait. Move on, if we can do it without costs. I am not a labor attorney, have little if any understanding of contract law. But if you tell your boss you are not looking to go anywhere, deny now apparently accurate public reports and then interview, I would think the employer would have some options.
If we don't move on, we are back in Petrino 1.0 and Strong, and JLS territory.

CJ Article: https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...rtedly-interviewed-south-carolina/3838499001/

Report: Scott Satterfield held in-person interview with South Carolina AD on Friday
Cameron Teague Robinson
Louisville Courier Journal

Less than two weeks after Louisville football coach Scott Satterfield said he's not pursuing other job offers, his name has resurfaced in South Carolina's coaching search.
Multiple reports from South Carolina, including one from the local 247Sports site, have reported that Satterfield interviewed for the job with South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner on Friday.
What appears to be Tanner's plane arrived in Bowling Green, Kentucky, on Friday. That same plane left Columbia, South Carolina, on Thursday for Gainesville, Florida, where a 247Sports report stated Tanner interviewed Florida offensive coordinator Brian Johnsonbefore making the trip to see Satterfield.
On Saturday morning, the flight plan updated with a trip back to Columbia scheduled for 8:40 a.m. central time.
Satterfield has not responded to messages from the Courier Journal, but Louisville athletic director Vince Tyra said "Nothing new to report on my end," when asked about the interview reports.
This news comes just a week and a half after reports of Satterfield interviewing at South Carolina first surfaced from The Athletic. Satterfield, in response to those reports, released a statement that seemed like a commitment to Louisville.

"While I'm flattered my name was associated with another job, I have not pursued or sought out any offers," Satterfield said. "I am the head coach at the University of Louisville. We are building a strong foundation and culture. I love our players and the dedication they have shown to me and my staff. It's important that we continue the development of this program. We have an outstanding recruiting class coming in December and I'm excited for the future of our football team. L's Up!!!"

Louisville athletic director Vince Tyra also said at that time that the reports of an interview were not true and that Satterfield wanted to stay at Louisville.
Satterfield signed a six-year contract worth $3.25 million a year. According to his contract, Satterfield has a $5 million buyout through Dec. 31, 2020. The buyout drops to $3.5 million if he terminates his contract after Dec. 31, 2020, but before Dec. 31, 2022. After Dec. 31, 2022, his buyout drops to $2 million.

In his two years at Louisville, Satterfield got off to a strong start with an 8-5 season and was named ACC Coach of the Year in his first season before struggling this year. With much of the same team back, Louisville is currently 3-7 with one game left to play.
This may be updated.
Cameron Teague Robinson CTeagueRob@gannett.com; Twitter: @cj_teague;

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2020/...louisville-south-carolina-interview-job-offer
Scott Satterfield interviewed with South Carolina on Friday

As it turns out, Louisville fans who were skeptical of Scott Satterfield’s carefully worded statement “denying” interest in the South Carolina job two weeks ago appear to have been correct in their distrust.
Multiple South Carolina based news outlets, including South Carolina’s 247 Sports site, have reported that Satterfield met with USC athletic director Ray Tanner on Friday about the Gamecocks’ head coaching vacancy. Card Chronicle can confirm those reports.

It would also seem that Satterfield took part in the interview without informing U of L athletic director Vince Tyra.

This whole situation is eerily similar to Bobby Petrino’s first flirtation with Auburn back in 2003. First, there was a denial of interest, then a secret interview, then a public reveal that left Louisville fans angry and ok with the idea of the head coach moving on after two years. Petrino would eventually coach the Cardinals for three more seasons — with another flirtation with LSU coming a year later — before sneaking off to Atlanta.
If Satterfield doesn’t wind up landing the gig, or decides that he’d rather stay at Louisville — I’m told having kids who would have to switch high schools midyear once again could play a part in the decision — he’s going to have some fences to mend. Cardinal fans have been through this wringer a dozen or so times at this point, but that’s not going to make them any easier to win back ... should the situation come to that.

Satterfield’s current contract with U of L includes a $5 million buyout through Dec. 31, 2020. That buyout drops to $3.5 million if he terminates his contract after Dec. 31, 2020, but before Dec. 31, 2022.
Stay tuned.
FEATURED VIDEOS FROM SB NATION

Assuming Vince didn’t know I think they will work out a deal to part ways if he isn’t hired by South Carolina. Depends on the contract language if Louisville can fire him. If they can without penalty they need to move swiftly.

Trust is key to any relationship and Satterfield went out of his way to break that trust. Have to move forward. Satterfield isn’t the right guy because he doesn’t want to be at Louisville. Some of the reasons why aren’t going to change. Both need to agree to part ways.

Reactions: RomanOben
1. Tyra is a damn idiot, and doesn't need to be our AD. I never liked him from the get go. Point in case, Tyra announces he was going to look at restructuring some of the Coordinators contracts in a TV interview before the Music City Bowl last year. What did Tyra do? Put his head in the sand. Why even open your mouth Mr showboat?
2. Tyra made some promises to Satterfield and the staff when they were hired that he is still yet to fulfill.
3. Tyra moves in next door to Satterfield and hounds him everywhere he goes (seemingly)
4. Satterfield is from the conservative bible belt of the south. Louisville has imploded as a city and has morphed into a liberal crap hole of a city. I'd much rather be in Columbia than Louisville for the general enjoyment of life. Riots/protests going on in front of your stadium, and blocks from campus. Who the hell wants to stay around for that?
5. At USCjr, Football is #1, at UofL...#2
6. He will get paid more, his staff will get paid more.

Last edited:
Reactions: zipp and rh62531
1. Tyra is a damn idiot, and doesn't need to be our AD. I never liked him from the get go. Point in case, Tyra announces he was going to look at restructuring some of the Coordinators contracts in a TV interview before the Music City Bowl last year. What did Tyra do? Put his head in the sand. Why even open your mouth Mr showboat?
2. Tyra made some promises to Satterfield and the staff when they were hired that he is still yet to fulfill.
3. Tyra moves in next door to Satterfield and hounds him everywhere he goes (seemingly)
4. Satterfield is from the conservative bible belt of the south. Louisville has imploded as a city and has morphed into a liberal crap hole of a city. I'd much rather be in Columbia than Louisville for the general enjoyment of life. Riots/protests going on in front of your stadium, and blocks from campus. Who the hell wants to stay around for that?
7. The program and fanbase at USCjr is just bigger and holds more weight in every regard in comparison to UofL.

So much wrong here. Unrest occurred nearly everywhere including rural areas. Columbia SC is not a great place to live.

"With a crime rate of 61 per one thousand residents, Columbia has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 17. "
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/sc/columbia/crime

Reactions: BPGhost
And at USCjr he would be fired within 5 years. Forgot to mention that part. All of these coaches try to leave and look where they find themselves. Strong had a top 25 program and hit the road, now he’s a defensive ANALYST at Bama, a job for young coaches.

At this point I’d prefer he leave; however, we already have a depleted roster. Two weeks before signing day would be very problematic.

If Brian Brohm is ready then that’s of course a great option. Although I know they sucked this year, I think Dino Babers would get a look.
[/QUOTE Brian Brohm Should be given a shot he's a Louisville man we should not hold it against him that Jeff didn't want the job

Tom, I didn’t know you had a rivals account!

This program will be set back so far if Scott leaves.

Recruits will leave. We will hire an inexperienced or lesser coach. We’re already facing a big talent deficit. That’ll make rebuilding even tougher.

This program will be set back so far if Scott leaves.

Recruits will leave. We will hire an inexperienced or lesser coach. We’re already facing a big talent deficit. That’ll make rebuilding even tougher.
And if he stays while lying to recruits faces, the AD, and the Fans that wouldn’t set us back??

If our “liberal crap of a city” is a running off a conservative asshole, hooray! Can the rest of them leave, too?

And if he stays while lying to recruits faces, the AD, and the Fans that wouldn’t set us back??
At least we’ll have some continuity. Bringing another system in pushes back the rebuild 4-5 years.

We’ve done fine when Charlie and Bobby were in the middle of this, but they were winning games.

At least we’ll have some continuity. Bringing another system in pushes back the rebuild 4-5 years.

We’ve done fine when Charlie and Bobby were in the middle of this, but they were winning games.
I disagree, Coach Brown for HC, retain a lot of the recruits (they love him) and keep the same defensive system.

Oh my god, what?? That high school 3-4 needs to go. Brown for HC? That’ll get folks excited.
Wait the same defense that since he’s been at UofL is allowing 17 less points and almost 150 yards less per game??? Ohhhh no that’s sooooo scary. Also only has 1.5 classes in, our current players don’t even fit the scheme.

Check the turnover margin difference and our offense has gotten worse and too predictable lmao... 3-7 as if it’s the DCs fault... can you give me some statistics to prove anything you say

3-4 is not a bad scheme. The problem is our personnel. Much of its success depends on having the right personnel at various positions. It requires a dominant nose tackle among many other things we don't have. In a word, athletes.

Reactions: 502Cards1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT