ADVERTISEMENT

Rumors

Just heard that Dino G. Is being charged with federal extortion charges based on his firing. Supposedly he was gonna spill some dirt about UL irregularities in producing recruiting videos. News just breaking. All this per 93.9 The Ville.

Not good. Blue has donated a ton of money to UL.

Last edited:
The violations probably don’t matter, but the fact that we are still being investigated and we’re out on probation recently, it’s not good.

We probably had to report this as if this came out and we didn’t say anything, it could’ve been bad.

Former Louisville basketball coach Dino Gaudio federally charged with extortion

Shannon Russell
Louisville Courier Journal

" Multiple entities are reporting that former Louisville assistant coach Dino Gaudio has been federally charged with extortion.

Documents say that Gaudio on March 17 in an in-person meeting with Louisville personnel threatened to report to the media allegations that the basketball program had violated NCAA rules in its production of recruiting videos for prospective student-athletes and in the use of its graduate assistants in practices - unless the university paid his salary an additional 17 months or provided an equivalent lump sum.

Gaudio sent a text message to U of L personnel containing one of the recruiting videos he threatened to send to the media.

This followed end-of-season decisions made by Louisville coach Chris Mack. The contracts of Gaudio and Luke Murray were not renewed when they expired at April's end. Murray, an assistant coach under Chris Mack at Xavier, has since been hired an assistant on Dan Hurley's staff at Connecticut.

Mack had extensive history with both coaches that went back more than three decades with Gaudio and included three schools: Xavier, Wake Forest and Louisville. He played at Xavier when Gaudio was an assistant under Pete Gillen.

The late Skip Prosser hired Mack as Xavier's director of basketball operations where Gaudio returned as an assistant coach. Mack and Gaudio left for Wake Forest when Prosser was hired there in 2001.

Mack, a former three-year assistant coach with the Demon Deacons, went back to his alma mater to assist Sean Miller before being promoted to the Musketeers' head coach in 2009. Gaudio spent eight years as an ESPN analyst before rejoining Mack at Louisville.

Mack said Monday in a press conference announcing staffing updates that both men were excellent coaches and that the decision to part ways was not easy, but he believed the program needed a fresher perspective.

The violations probably don’t matter, but the fact that we are still being investigated and we’re out on probation recently, it’s not good.

We probably had to report this as if this came out and we didn’t say anything, it could’ve been bad.
I hate to be a pessimist but Dude, multiple violations AGAIN, [ regardless if Level 2 ] and we are not even done pleading our first case, involving multiple 1 violations, while on probation. Jesus, we are on Dean Wormer's Double Secret Probation Shyt List. Slight correction - Guess we are done pleading first case waiting for ruling.

Last edited:
I hate to be a pessimist but Dude, multiple violations AGAIN, [ regardless if Level 2 ] and we not even done pleading are first case, involving multiple 1 violations, while on probation. Jesus, where on Dean Wormer's Double Secret Probation Shyt List.
If it comes out that Mack did commit multiple violations, is he fired?

Apparently we were involved in additional recruiting violations while we are awaiting punishment for violations that occurred while on probation. Let’s hope this is not the case l, but he obviously thinks he had dirt on Mack and the program. And that is not good. Good Lord. Who the **** is the compliance director ? Do we even have one?

No where in our statement is there any indication we self reported prior to the extortion attempt.

I hate to be a pessimist but Dude, multiple violations AGAIN, [ regardless if Level 2 ] and we are not even done pleading our first case, involving multiple 1 violations, while on probation. Jesus, we are on Dean Wormer's Double Secret Probation Shyt List. Slight correction - Guess we are done pleading first case waiting for ruling.
I’m not sure if the NCAA can tack on a Level 1 Lack of Institutional Control to Level 2 violations but if they can I’m sure they will.

Unfortunately, the NCAA is it's own entity and can do pretty much as it wants. I'm really not absolutely clear if the NCAA wants to go down another two year rabbit hole against UofL. None of what I read raises up to North Carolina levels, or LSU or Kansas levels.
If they get a huge bee up their butts. I suppose they could say secondary offenses while on probation or under investigation could be raised.....but seriously?
Strange as it may seem coming from me, this is enough. Nothing in these charges is near LSU, Arizona and a half dozen other schools. Give it a break NCAA.

Reactions: bigbuf and Deeva
Wow!!! who knew using coaches in practice was a violation or making a recruiting video was too. If that is the case then the NCAA really needs to rethink their mission regarding college athletics. I also think it is safe to say that Dino will probably never work again in a sports related job.

Reactions: Deeva
Louisville basketball is the dumb and dumber of college basketball. You can’t make the stuff up. A coach that is by all accounts a pretty good dude decides to lose his mind by trying to extort his friend and a public university. He knows the nature of the game and this was his reaction.

Wow!!! who knew using coaches in practice was a violation or making a recruiting video was too. If that is the case then the NCAA really needs to rethink their mission regarding college athletics. I also think it is safe to say that Dino will probably never work again in a sports related job.
Hopefully every coach in the NCAA should have known, but just because we are on probation, we better have known. If we didn’t then we are not taking the NCAA seriously. It was said last night, that Dino was going to retire after the upcoming year. Now, I’m not sure how much I can believe him.

This one really is out the window odd in a bunch of ways. Sounds more like the guy got a drunk mad and started spewing.
Bad p.r., but I have a tough time thinking the NCAA will dive into this.
Then again the words thinking and letters NCAA dont mix.

Calm down folks; the real story is extortion against UL .............., not by UL. We reported it to the authorities.

Reactions: billoliver40
Calm down folks; the real story is extortion against UL .............., not by UL. We reported it to the authorities.
There it is. Reading Forde's tale (and he's a good writer) this sounds more like a guy blew his stack and said things he now regrets...and an FBI extortion charge will do that....and Mack reported his threat to the AD and higher ups and they decided to shut it down quick.
Like he breezed through....this stuff is low level two or level three stuff....along the lines of a coach buying a comic book for a kid thats a player.

Unfortunately for the program, there's a lot of writers (such as co author Forde) that were Pitino supporters that now feel a massive need to distance themselves from any type of realistic reporting when they hear 'possible violations' and "Louisville.

Thats gonna hurt more than any thing else.
Public perception is a bear to get over.

There it is. Reading Forde's tale (and he's a good writer) this sounds more like a guy blew his stack and said things he now regrets...and an FBI extortion charge will do that....and Mack reported his threat to the AD and higher ups and they decided to shut it down quick.
Like he breezed through....this stuff is low level two or level three stuff....along the lines of a coach buying a comic book for a kid thats a player.

Unfortunately for the program, there's a lot of writers (such as co author Forde) that were Pitino supporters that now feel a massive need to distance themselves from any type of realistic reporting when they hear 'possible violations' and "Louisville.

Thats gonna hurt more than any thing else.
Public perception is a bear to get over.
The biggest thing? We don't know. Everyone can say what they think, good or bad, but we just really don't know.

Sometimes they hammer teams like our 2013 title and other times they let anything go like at UNC. Until more facts emerge, we just do not know.

Reactions: billoliver40
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT