ADVERTISEMENT

Ronald Rudd 6'7" 305lb offensive tackle

beasleythecard

Four-Star Poster
Jan 7, 2007
louisville
Hearing that we will land his services. He decommitted from UCLA and is rumored to be coming to help protect Lamar. As a juco transfer he can sign December 14 at the earliest. I am thankful for our staff looking at the current line and doing everything in their power to improve it.
Good job to the Louisville staff. lets find 2 centers and 1 more quality lineman.

Go Cards.

Reactions: wilkie01
Recruiting is half the battle.
Maybe if you actually watched football you'd know that.

Lamar was pressured on 48% of his drop backs in all 3 losses.
Thats pathetic and Klenakis deserves a demotion for that.
Let me say (for the thousandth time) I think that UofL's OL needs major improvement to take the next step and if BP thinks Klenakis needs to go, I'm perfectly fine with that.

I agree with you - recruiting is really important, as is talent evaluation and, coaching / strength training once the player makes it to campus. I don't think that there's any question that you watch a bunch of football and understand the game and on it's face, that stat is pretty bad. Like most stats though, there is a lot of factors that go into it and, can make it misleading.

What were the time frames of the pressures? Did LJ hold onto the ball longer than he should have and should he have simply broke contain and gained positive yards with his feet? Was he going through his progressions properly and, were any receivers open? Did poor play calling (i.e. no 'hot' receiver, screens, slants & too many deep routes) make the offense 1 dimensional?
For that 48% stat to really be as impactful as it seems; you'd really need to look at every play again to actually determine what happened. I'm betting that is exactly what the staff is doing.

Based upon the 48% stat, one could make the assumption that uk's defense is / was better than FSU's. Do we really think that is the case? More likely it's a case that the overall offensive scheme was simply better against FSU, allowing for better performances from the entire offense.

Here's some other stats. Against the top 5 defenses (all of them ranked in the top 30) it faced UofL did the following.

- Averaged 43 points per game (215 total points)
- Averaged 495 yards per game (2478 total yards)
- Averaged 215 rushing yards per game (1074 total yards)

On balance, those stats look as impressive as your 48% stat looks terrible but, they don't really mean much unless you are able to determine why they happened. And again, I'm betting that the staff is looking at those positive plays / games to help dictate plans for the future.

Let me say (for the thousandth time) I think that UofL's OL needs major improvement to take the next step and if BP thinks Klenakis needs to go, I'm perfectly fine with that.

I agree with you - recruiting is really important, as is talent evaluation and, coaching / strength training once the player makes it to campus. I don't think that there's any question that you watch a bunch of football and understand the game and on it's face, that stat is pretty bad. Like most stats though, there is a lot of factors that go into it and, can make it misleading.

What were the time frames of the pressures? Did LJ hold onto the ball longer than he should have and should he have simply broke contain and gained positive yards with his feet? Was he going through his progressions properly and, were any receivers open? Did poor play calling (i.e. no 'hot' receiver, screens, slants & too many deep routes) make the offense 1 dimensional?
For that 48% stat to really be as impactful as it seems; you'd really need to look at every play again to actually determine what happened. I'm betting that is exactly what the staff is doing.

Based upon the 48% stat, one could make the assumption that uk's defense is / was better than FSU's. Do we really think that is the case? More likely it's a case that the overall offensive scheme was simply better against FSU, allowing for better performances from the entire offense.

Here's some other stats. Against the top 5 defenses (all of them ranked in the top 30) it faced UofL did the following.

On balance, those stats look as impressive as your 48% stat looks terrible but, they don't really mean much unless you are able to determine why they happened. And again, I'm betting that the staff is looking at those positive plays / games to help dictate plans for the future.

giphy.gif

Why does every post turn into a spat?

I am not a big fan of coach K based on line performance this year, however, he has done a damn good job recruiting, so hopefully that will be seen on the field.

The purpose of the thread though was the recruit a bit time possible get, so let's be excited about the possibility of getting him instead of acting like children fighting over the legos.

Reactions: beasleythecard
Why does every post turn into a spat?

I am not a big fan of coach K based on line performance this year, however, he has done a damn good job recruiting, so hopefully that will be seen on the field.

The purpose of the thread though was the recruit a bit time possible get, so let's be excited about the possibility of getting him instead of acting like children fighting over the legos.
It wouldn't be a family without the spats. LOL.

We had a 9-3 season with a Heisman Winning QB who WILL BE BACK for his Junior season. The future is really looking up, but we will always have the half glass empty folks disagreeing with the half glass full folks. It's what we do. :p

This isnt YEAR one, this is year 3.
Gardner hurt. Bonnafon hurt. Bolin chased out of games.
LAMAR SACKED 11 TIMES !
After Klenakis sweet talks a recruit into signing, now what.
Lay it all at the feet of a QB who is learning to use a playbook for the 1st time.
Thats on Nick Petrino, but its his 1st year. He gets a pass.
ANYTIME the line gets beat 5 on 3, thats on the lineman REGARDLESS of the call by the QB.

You know its not what you do in the wins, but what happens in the losses.
They didnt duplicate their efforts vs FSU. They had 5 false starts in the 1st
against Clemson alone.

This line led in false starts. Not over one game but 11. Thats not he consistency you
seek as a coach.

Instead of focusing on defense, the number recruiting talk is about the O-line for a reason. Thisis big time fotball now and the chances to reach the playoffs are rare.
In year two of Nick , more is expected of him to teach Lamar on his reads and line
positioning. The poor playcalling , which was pathetic at times, lays at the feet of Bobby.
Lamar better run the plays he calls or Bonnofan takes over.

We werent hoping Nevada would take Klenakis because of a promotion, rather it was getting rid of worthless, dead weight you call coaching.

There is great opportunity here to lay an outstanding foundation on the offensive line that bears fruit for three to four years down the road. We can offer something extremely rare for a Division I, high performing offense and that's immediate playing time on the offensive line...and the selling point of immediate playing time blocking for a Heisman trophy winner and getting the spotlight dance of lifting him up in the endzone after a TD about twenty times in a year. Bentley is a great building block on the interior of the O line, Poutasi Poutasi appears to be comparable though lesser rated talented as a projected guard. We are apparently in very good shape with Toryque Bateman and judging by the fact Michigan and Miami are our competition for him...that speaks for itself. I suspect Kadeem Telfort who had a huge jump in the Rivals 250 to nearly Rivals100 sticks with Florida though; you land him and you land an immediate anchor at tackle for the next three seasons opposite Geron Christian.

This team set the season school record for rushing yards in 2016, one game to play yet.

Just as a caveat to all of these offensive stats posted: YPG, PPG, etc.

Bear in mind that they are themselves skewed because of Lamar Jackson himself. If we just had a "regular" QB, none of those numbers would be as near as high as they are. He's not perfect, but he's consistently called the most electrifying player in college football for a reason.

I love Kyle Bolin, but do you think we average those kinds of numbers with him? Bonnafon led us to a win at Notre Dame playing QB. He didn't take a single snap this year.

The production that comes completely from Jackson can't be over stated, or probably even be accurately measured.

This team set the season school record for rushing yards in 2016, one game to play yet.
That is a mis nomer simply because we lack the ability to run in the red zone with running backs. Hopefully as we continually purge our roster of linemen that wouldnt start at moore high school and acquire division 1, P5 linemen we can not only field a solid line that can run block, but also develop depth behind the juco guys coming in.

Yes, tomorrow is JUCO day.

As far as Rudd, the original topic of this thread. He's a 3 star JUCO. Best offers are us, Baylor and Arizona St. Definitely a step up within the current class, but not a program changer either. Seems like he would be a solid pick up at best. Given the current state of things, a solid pick up is good with me.

I told you guys....he just committed to us! HUGE get!
have to give a hand to this staff recognizing that we needed to purge the linemen on the roster and get better. They are doing everything possible to get better and Rudd is a giant step in the right direction. He is a great addition to our offensive line. We need 2 centers and 1 more solid lineman and we will head into camp in much better position than we have been in for 3 years.

This isnt YEAR one, this is year 3.
Gardner hurt. Bonnafon hurt. Bolin chased out of games.
LAMAR SACKED 11 TIMES !
After Klenakis sweet talks a recruit into signing, now what.
Lay it all at the feet of a QB who is learning to use a playbook for the 1st time.
Thats on Nick Petrino, but its his 1st year. He gets a pass.
ANYTIME the line gets beat 5 on 3, thats on the lineman REGARDLESS of the call by the QB.

You know its not what you do in the wins, but what happens in the losses.
They didnt duplicate their efforts vs FSU. They had 5 false starts in the 1st
against Clemson alone.

This line led in false starts. Not over one game but 11. Thats not he consistency you
seek as a coach.

Instead of focusing on defense, the number recruiting talk is about the O-line for a reason. Thisis big time fotball now and the chances to reach the playoffs are rare.
In year two of Nick , more is expected of him to teach Lamar on his reads and line
positioning. The poor playcalling , which was pathetic at times, lays at the feet of Bobby.
Lamar better run the plays he calls or Bonnofan takes over.

We werent hoping Nevada would take Klenakis because of a promotion, rather it was getting rid of worthless, dead weight you call coaching.
There is no excusing the Houston game - it was an absolute debacle start to finish from the whole team but particularly the OL and BP with the absolute lack of adjustments in the play calling. The other losses, there were some good things to take away but plenty of times that the OL screwed up and it cost the team.

Perhaps they are a microcosm of Klenakis himself - not consistent enough at his job to be the one to lead that position group to the level the team wants to go. If that is the case, I trust that he (they) will be replaced / recruited over. I guess my position is that it doesn't stand to reason that Klenakis is the abject failure that some on here would like you to believe - the results simply don't back that up in any logical way. And it gets old (irritating) reading the same old uniformed posts, by the same old uniformed posters who couldn't find their own ass with a map and a flashlight.

Reactions: watchem
He is definitely a step up, but I'm not bubbling over like some others. To each their own.

The next target seems to be Demetris Harris. He's leaning very heavily towards USF and Wake. Like I've said as soon as Charlie got hired, if we're having to fight USF for recruits, somethings wrong. We shouldn't be in a position of battling USF and Wake for recruits. Just further proof of how far down the ladder we are when it comes to signing OLs.

Flip Telfort THEN I'll be saying "hell yeah, NOW we're moving up"

He is definitely a step up, but I'm not bubbling over like some others. To each their own.

The next target seems to be Demetris Harris. He's leaning very heavily towards USF and Wake. Like I've said as soon as Charlie got hired, if we're having to fight USF for recruits, somethings wrong. We shouldn't be in a position of battling USF and Wake for recruits. Just further proof of how far down the ladder we are when it comes to signing OLs.

There is a lot more to it than fighting a school like USF and Wake than just simply we are a school at a much higher level.

The key questions are how much does USF and Wake want him compared to us? How much competition will he have playing at a school like USF and Wake compared to us with other incoming recruits? Have we fully offered or have we shown interest and given a halfish offer such as hey we like you, but we want you to wait because we have better options that we hope to get. Many, many questions. This is one example of a player with lower level offers, that we MAY pursue if other options don't pan out.

Rudd was a big time get. I agree with you on Telfort as well, he would be another huge get, so fingers crossed we hear positive news. Things are pointing in the right direction, and a close decision based on what I can tell.

In recruiting you have to have priorities, plan A, B, C etc. Our coaches know this. We are about to close in one of the highest, if not the highest classes ever here so get rid of the nonsense talk and enjoy landing monsters.

Wheels are rollin' so damn fast right now smoke is rising. #L1C4LIT

Just as a caveat to all of these offensive stats posted: YPG, PPG, etc.

Bear in mind that they are themselves skewed because of Lamar Jackson himself. If we just had a "regular" QB, none of those numbers would be as near as high as they are. He's not perfect, but he's consistently called the most electrifying player in college football for a reason.

I love Kyle Bolin, but do you think we average those kinds of numbers with him? Bonnafon led us to a win at Notre Dame playing QB. He didn't take a single snap this year.

The production that comes completely from Jackson can't be over stated, or probably even be accurately measured.

Actually he did. It was going to be a pass to Lamar but once again, the line caved in.

1 thing for sure the coaches know they can not afford another bad season by the oline because it weighs so heavy on every part of the team.
They are working overtime to turn the oline around.

We flip a certain guy and i will send a certain coach an edible arrangement.

Reactions: Kratz
I'm with you Beas. Flip Telfort and I'm buying Klenakis a nice bottle of Makers. Rudd is a good add compared to what we had, but not a program changer. Telfort would be.

lol heck yeah! Bourbon and Edible Arrangements.

Hell, I will throw in a gift card to a local gentlemen's club to round it out.

I would chemically test "gifts" from some people.

And I'm sure glad our coaches were listening to message board posters. o_O

Reactions: ULGrad09
I would chemically test "gifts" from some people.

And I'm sure glad our coaches were listening to message board posters. o_O
only a moron would suggest chemical testing an edible arrange ment. you never touch it. you just order it.

stick to your lovefest of the ukfan trolling zipp, you suck at everything else.

Nah, you've got plenty of hate inside the UofL community too. i.e. Anyone that doesn't agree with you on any given subject. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. If you've got hate, spread it around evenly.

Recruiting is half the battle.
Maybe if you actually watched football you'd know that.

Lamar was pressured on 48% of his drop backs in all 3 losses.
Thats pathetic and Klenakis deserves a demotion for that.
KR- where did you get that stat? It seemed like closer to 100%

Nah, you've got plenty of hate inside the UofL community too. i.e. Anyone that doesn't agree with you on any given subject. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. If you've got hate, spread it around evenly.
I've already acknowledged I'm not too fond of people who know far less than they think they know, if the foo $hits. Guilty as charged.

Also remember timeless zipp-ism no. 118 says: "Thin skin has no place on an internet message board."

There is no excusing the Houston game - it was an absolute debacle start to finish from the whole team but particularly the OL and BP with the absolute lack of adjustments in the play calling. The other losses, there were some good things to take away but plenty of times that the OL screwed up and it cost the team.

Perhaps they are a microcosm of Klenakis himself - not consistent enough at his job to be the one to lead that position group to the level the team wants to go. If that is the case, I trust that he (they) will be replaced / recruited over. I guess my position is that it doesn't stand to reason that Klenakis is the abject failure that some on here would like you to believe - the results simply don't back that up in any logical way. And it gets old (irritating) reading the same old uniformed posts, by the same old uniformed posters who couldn't find their own ass with a map and a flashlight.
maybe usa today is uninformed as well?
this is an excerpt from their write up about our offensive line.
maybe you can call them uninformed as well?
let me know your thoughts einstein. ...........

On a similar note, it is time to seriously evaluate Coach Klenakis. After Louisville dominated Florida State and held its own against Clemson, Louisville's frontline seemed to have finally turned a corner and Klenakis had his unit gelling. However, as the season has moved along, performances of the offensive line have regressed, penalties are increasing, and sacks allowed are sky rocketing. The same issues have plagued Louisville's front five for three years now and the Houston game was more than a reality check. Recruiting better offensive lineman is a must, but it isn't all about the stars next to a kid's name. Houston fielded just one defensive player last Thursday who garnered more than three stars out of high school. The Cougars had compiled just 25 sacks all season, but totaled 11 against the Cards which once again proves attitude is everything.

Mike Summers was Petrino's offensive line coach in his first tenure at Louisville. Summers molded unheralded and sometimes unranked recruits such as Kurt Quarterman, Travis Leffew, Jason Spitz, Breno Giacomini, Goerge Bussey, Renardo Foster, and Eric Wood into all-conference/all-American performers. Many spent time in the NFL, Eric Wood is now an all-pro center, and Breno has a Super Bowl ring. Something is missing in regards to the o-line during Bobby's second run as Louisville's leading man, but I fully trust/expect Coach Petrino to fix the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT