ADVERTISEMENT

Rodjay Burns

FlavRunit

Two-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2006
I think he would make an awesome safety. If I had a chance to talk with Coach Brown, I would love to know his thoughts on Burns at Outside Linebacker.

He has the speed, IQ and cover skills to play safety, and he would have a fighting chance at the next level playing safety opposed to outside linebacker.

Just my thoughts, passing time until tonight's basketball game.

If I’m not mistaken Rodjay came out of Trinity as a DB but didn’t get much opportunity at OSU. Maybe he’s a better tackler than cover man.

I agree. If they can find another good ILB I would not be surprised to see Burns move to Safety and CJ Avery move out to play Burn's Cardinal position.

The reason I say that is the Cards have to get bigger on defense. But Avery was very good inside so unless they have someone they think can fill his shoes, that won't happen.

And if you do make that change, those guys can still move back to those spots in certain packages based on down and distance.

I expect that Monty Montgomery will move up to a starting LB spot in 2020. Not sure if that will be inside or outside.

I think he would make an awesome safety. If I had a chance to talk with Coach Brown, I would love to know his thoughts on Burns at Outside Linebacker.

He has the speed, IQ and cover skills to play safety, and he would have a fighting chance at the next level playing safety opposed to outside linebacker.

Just my thoughts, passing time until tonight's basketball game.

I think you are right, but he is at LB out of need. You'd have to think he is fast enough because he is returning punts.

I agree. If they can find another good ILB I would not be surprised to see Burns move to Safety and CJ Avery move out to play Burn's Cardinal position.

The reason I say that is the Cards have to get bigger on defense. But Avery was very good inside so unless they have someone they think can fill his shoes, that won't happen.

And if you do make that change, those guys can still move back to those spots in certain packages based on down and distance.

Which brings me to Robert Hicks. You can’t get much bigger than Hicks at LB. why do we have Monty Montgomery inside and Robert Hicks outside. I’m asking these questions from my reclining sofa position, these coaches see these players everyday and know what they want.

It will be interesting to see if there are any position changes this off season.

Which brings me to Robert Hicks. You can’t get much bigger than Hicks at LB. why do we have Monty Montgomery inside and Robert Hicks outside. I’m asking these questions from my reclining sofa position, these coaches see these players everyday and know what they want.

It will be interesting to see if there are any position changes this off season.

sometimes in a 3-4 defense, you want the OLB to be a big physical player who can take on tight ends and offensive tackles. We used Hicks and Boosie Whitlow in that role some this year.

Reactions: FlavRunit
sometimes in a 3-4 defense, you want the OLB to be a big physical player who can take on tight ends and offensive tackles. We used Hicks and Boosie Whitlow in that role some this year.
What was the issue with Hicks? I expected big things this past year. He played in 12 games but totaled 5 tackles?

Not really sure ... just a true sophomore, so there’s plenty of time for him to improve. He’s listed on the depth chart behind Burns, but he’s 53 pounds heavier, so I don’t see them playing the same role. He might be someone who grows into a DE for us this next year.

Didn’t they move him to DE, then he got frustrated and entered the transfer portal, but to comeback and accept his role as DE? Now he’s an OLB...

His role has totally been puzzling to me. He must not be the type player they are looking for.

Didn’t they move him to DE, then he got frustrated and entered the transfer portal, but to comeback and accept his role as DE? Now he’s an OLB...

His role has totally been puzzling to me. He must not be the type player they are looking for.
You are correct. I just read an article about him saying he had found a home at OLB but he hasn’t played much since BC. They did mention his attitude improving 100,000 % so I don’t know if something has changed. He was a 4 star coming out of Miami.

What was the issue with Hicks? I expected big things this past year. He played in 12 games but totaled 5 tackles?
The issue with Hicks is lack of Speed. Brown wants LBs who are faster than Hicks. That's why in the spring last year they tried to make him into a defensive end.

The issue with Hicks is lack of Speed. Brown wants LBs who are faster than Hicks. That's why in the spring last year they tried to make him into a defensive end.
I don’t care how fast he is if he can get downhill and stop the run. It was so frustrating watching the Uk game knowing we had a guy with 3 TFLs in the UA all American game riding the pine for Pete’s sake. Sometimes you just need dudes. Disappointed we didn’t change anything on defense in that game.

I don’t care how fast he is if he can get downhill and stop the run. It was so frustrating watching the Uk game knowing we had a guy with 3 TFLs in the UA all American game riding the pine for Pete’s sake. Sometimes you just need dudes. Disappointed we didn’t change anything on defense in that game.

I have to agree with Cardinal Cash here...

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
We won't even recognize our defense next season. Lot of new faces gonna see the field . just as well as far as I'm concerned , we need dudes that are nasty. Guys that aren't afraid to sacrifice their body to get the ball carrier on the ground.

We won't even recognize our defense next season. Lot of new faces gonna see the field . just as well as far as I'm concerned , we need dudes that are nasty. Guys that aren't afraid to sacrifice their body to get the ball carrier on the ground.

I think we will early on. We have like 8 returning starters. I’m interested in seeing who develops, who developed during their redshirt year, and new recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT