ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Luis, 6'7 SG...Update To St Johns

RJ Luis:

11.5 pts 4.6 reb 45% from the field & 34% from 3 a season ago. Plays big & strong when driving/cutting/playing down low. Size & length helps him create for himself & others. Is only a sophomore - ton of upside to like about him

Reactions: JohnnyWalker
I’m sort of liking our chances due to how his visit is being publicly announced a day before he starts on campus. Maybe that means nothing and it’s already been worked out behind the scenes, but..

Reactions: shadow force
I’m sort of liking our chances due to how his visit is being publicly announced a day before he starts on campus. Maybe that means nothing and it’s already been worked out behind the scenes, but..
Don't want to jinx things, but I agree. It seems when Payne actually gets players on an official visit that chances are pretty good they commit. We'll see what happens.

Don't want to jinx things, but I agree. It seems when Payne actually gets players on an official visit that chances are pretty good they commit. We'll see what happens.
That's kind of funny, you were just posting about how we haven't had any visits for a long time. Kenny is trolling you!

Reactions: rh62531
That's kind of funny, you were just posting about how we haven't had any visits for a long time. Kenny is trolling you!
When I posted it, it was true. And I think it was a fair question. I was simply asking why there hadn't been any visits for a month or so.

Like I also said, I want Payne to prove me wrong and assemble a full and balanced team. Let's see if Luis commits after his visit.

Gotta get one of these guys. I get what Payne is trying to do. Crum liked big guards, and nothing wrong with that as long as the players can get the damned job done. Bad play means losses, whether you have little small guards or big guards. Hamilton loves 6'4" to 6'8" guys that can play two or three spots as well. It sure has worked against us lately.

I wouldn't mind at all dishing out a little of what we've gotten over the last five years, to a lot of teams.

He St. Johns bound for sure. Can't see him not picking Rick Pitino over Kenny Payne.
The UofL visit obviously wasn't enough to seal the deal on its own and I could see Rick plucking Luis away from Payne but we'll see.

Just hope Payne has a Plan B and C for recruiting targets this time around.

It was a planned visit but I am sure he is going to be impressed. Like it or not the SG-SF are crowded at Louisville on paper. Competition for playing time will be very high which is good.

Building a really deep roster is tough in today’s world.

KP is going young in a time where it is really questionable to do so.

I really worry who is going to be a playmaker? Who can drive to the hole and make a play when the shot clock is running down. I worry about our overall quickness again. IF CKP can actually coach defense then I think our length can cover for my worry about quickness on D but I'm worried about our offensive quickness. hopefully, I'm wrong. Even as bad as last year was I watched every game that I could... Trying to find hope I guess.

The question is can they handle the ball 1 through 4? That is what he is doing. The traditional PG is slowly dying. Let’s go to the positive side of what he is trying to do. Let’s say Clark, James, Flowers, Davis, Williams and Glynn can all handle the ball. Then if the add the top 10 kid it becomes even better. Then matchup may determine who initiates the offense. Matchup wise that is pretty tough to stop.

The negative side this hasn’t been done at this level. This is a NBA philosophy on a college level. The talent-skill required to play this way is way up there. The sale to all these “wings” is they all will handle the ball and given some freedom to create.

This philosophy is like his hire high risk-high reward. This is attractive to kids because it is today’s NBA. If he is going to fail at least he is going to do it with conviction.

Reactions: cardsfan53
I share the same concerns as others in this thread. Glad Payne got Skyy but he only played a partial season last year and still may not be 100% coming back from his ACL injury.

Skyy is basically still a freshman experience wise and will be playing at least 30-35 minutes as of now. That is a lot to place on him without another more experienced PG on the team to help or back him up. What if he isn't ready or is playing terribly? Who can come in and run the offense? What if playing so many minutes leads to him playing matador defense like Ellis?

And please if Hercy Miller is being depended on in anything more than garbage minutes this time, then we're in big trouble.

It's a legitimate concern. I'm glad Payne got Skyy but until or unless he gets another PG or capable CG to pick up the slack when Skyy has foul trouble, injury, etc then I won't feel confident in this team.

I don't want all the eggs in one basket again. If Payne fails to get another guard but Davis or Flowers can help with ball handling and playmaking enough to where it's a strength and not a detriment, then I'll admit Paynes plan was right. But the fact that he is offering more guards tells me he wants more of them to fill out the roster.

Reactions: rh62531
It's a legitimate concern. I'm glad Payne got Skyy but until or unless he gets another PG or capable CG to pick up the slack when Skyy has foul trouble, injury, etc then I won't feel confident in this team.

I don't want all the eggs in one basket again. If Payne fails to get another guard but Davis or Flowers can help with ball handling and playmaking enough to where it's a strength and not a detriment, then I'll admit Paynes plan was right. But the fact that he is offering more guards tells me he wants more of them to fill out the roster.
Welcome to big boy recruiting . I don't think this fanbase is ready. Sky and Flowers(whom is a legit ball handler big guard). KP has to really try and sell certain guards to play a role that having Sky and Flowers scares some away. Kids like RJ are the kind you need not elite bt good enough. However this transfer portal and NIL is having these type players to over value their true worth they are only going to a place that values what they think their worth is. And to be honest most of these kids are not worth it. He will get a another guard calm down. And doesn't surprise me Rick would want somebody like this pretty much the caliber player he always got here. So Rick will make him feel he is a high valued kid.

• Haha
Reactions: OldhamCard335
Welcome to big boy recruiting . I don't think this fanbase is ready. Sky and Flowers(whom is a legit ball handler big guard). KP has to really try and sell certain guards to play a role that having Sky and Flowers scares some away. Kids like RJ are the kind you need not elite bt good enough. However this transfer portal and NIL is having these type players to over value their true worth they are only going to a place that values what they think their worth is. And to be honest most of these kids are not worth it. He will get a another guard calm down. And doesn't surprise me Rick would want somebody like this pretty much the caliber player he always got here. So Rick will make him feel he is a high valued kid.
This fanbase wasn't ready for 4-28 either.

Glad you have complete faith in Payne but I can understand why so many in this fanbase do not. I can't give him the benefit of the doubt after that record breaking, historically bad, and shameful travesty that occured last season.

After the all systems failure in his first year, Payne has to prove himself by winning a ton more games. He has to show that he can actually be a competent coach that can assemble a full and competitive team. Until that happens, he will justifiably continue to face doubt and skepticism every step of the way.

This fanbase wasn't ready for 4-28 either.

Glad you have complete faith in Payne but I can understand why so many in this fanbase do not. I can't give him the benefit of the doubt after that record breaking, historically bad, and shameful travesty that occured last season.

After the all systems failure in his first year, Payne has to prove himself by winning a ton more games. He has to show that he can actually be a competent coach that can assemble a full and competitive team. Until that happens, he will justifiably continue to face doubt and skepticism every step of the way.
LOL i'll go back to just reading and laughing thought i just say a little . Since this KP forum is pure comedy . Cycle seems to be the only one with sensible calm takes.

• Haha
Reactions: OldhamCard335
LOL i'll go back to just reading and laughing thought i just say a little . Since this KP forum is pure comedy . Cycle seems to be the only one with sensible calm takes.
I assure you I'm calm while posting on this forum. Feel free to keep posting here if you want. It won't bother me either way.

It's not a hive mind that has to agree on everything, and I don't mind hearing from Cards fans that have differing takes. Just because you and I don't completely agree on Payne doesn't mean we're not both UofL fans that want this program to succeed at the highest level.

I believe once we see a final roster going into the year we'll have the clarity and then maybe there will be some interesting conversation. If we're being honest we just do not know who those final 3 spots are going to be and until we do we're all guessing. Just my 2 cents.

Hoping I am wrong, but I thought I heard that he committed elsewhere?

Hoping I am wrong, but I thought I heard that he committed elsewhere?
You might be thinking of another player. Not saying Luis will commit to UofL but his decision is happening tomorrow. Not sure what time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT