ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Leonard

BPGhost

6000+
Jun 23, 2015
I wonder with Elko set to take the aTm job, if Leonard will be hitting the portal? He’d be a nice pickup despite only having him for a year.

I wonder with Elko set to take the aTm job, if Leonard will be hitting the portal? He’d be a nice pickup despite only having him for a year.

When healthy he was the most impressive QB I saw this year. I think he will be a stud in NFL if he stays healthy.

I guess money will talk but if my choice was ND or Auburn it would definitely be ND.

Will Howard (K-State) and Tyler VanDyke (Miami) both in the portal. Getting more and more interesting.

We are getting rid of one turnover prone QB. I don't think VanDyke would be a good fit here. We already have some talet waiting in the wings at QB anyway.
What do you see as the depth chart at QB from the existing players - provided all stay - next year?

No one will talk about this guy because of his measurables.

But I had fond memories of Lefors watching the Colandrea kid at UVA in our game this year. Would be interesting watching that guy perform under Brohm.

Lefors was 6-ft even and 201 lbs as a senior...

Last edited:
Reactions: KozmasAgain
I trust Brohm when it comes to QB’s. He has seen all the current QB’s if he brings in a 1 year QB then there is a reason. He could spot play Clarkson or others. I think ideally with his play book you want to eventually stay out of the portal for 1 year guys. He wants to bring them up in the offense then replace year to year with QB’s on the roster.

The other thing to keep in mind he isn’t sacrificing a season to develop a QB. He has a win now mentality.

Reactions: rh62531
Who said Brohm is looking for another one year band aide. All reports I’ve read have said Pearce Clarkson is doing really well. The plan was for him to redshirt (His choice) to build muscle and learn the system. He’s still recruiting for us, so I don’t get all this speculation. I think Domann has another year and he’s an adequate backup.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
No one said Brohm was doing anything. It was asked who will be the starting QB? Maybe he will go for a transfer, maybe he will give Clarkson the chance?

We don't know so people are giving their opinions. Where are these reports you're referring to? I have no idea what Brohm is planning.

Reactions: BPGhost
Who said Brohm is looking for another one year band aide. All reports I’ve read have said Pearce Clarkson is doing really well. The plan was for him to redshirt (His choice) to build muscle and learn the system. He’s still recruiting for us, so I don’t get all this speculation. I think Domann has another year and he’s an adequate backup.
Domann and Conley were both recognized on Senior Day so I don't think Brock is returning.

It is tricky. Plummer worked because he knew the play book. As much as people moan about him name a better 1 year transfer in the country.

I am not sure there are many QB’s that are 1 year guys that could learn the playbook. Keep in mind they are transferring for reasons that aren’t perfect for a college system. They are chasing money or getting out of a system they didn’t like. Who in the portal that were 1 year guys that really worked? Sam Howell was
OK. Leary was OK. The transfer QB that are killing it multi year transfers Penix, Travis, Grabiel and Nix. It takes time to learn systems.

I don’t see Brohm taking a multi year transfer unless something happens in our QB room portal wise.

It is tricky. Plummer worked because he knew the play book. As much as people moan about him name a better 1 year transfer in the country.

I am not sure there are many QB’s that are 1 year guys that could learn the playbook. Keep in mind they are transferring for reasons that aren’t perfect for a college system. They are chasing money or getting out of a system they didn’t like. Who in the portal that were 1 year guys that really worked? Sam Howell was
OK. Leary was OK. The transfer QB that are killing it multi year transfers Penix, Travis, Grabiel and Nix. It takes time to learn systems.

I don’t see Brohm taking a multi year transfer unless something happens in our QB room portal wise.
Well we lose Plummer, Conley and Domann. Nobody on this roster has much playing time, except part of 1 game against Murray St. How much confidence does that give us playing a tougher ACC schedule and UK in Lessington?

Not sure I feel great about any 1 year QB in Brohm’s system due to the complexity. With that said if he goes that route he is doing it for a reason and who are we to question his choice. His track record with QB’s is pretty good.

It may not be an issue, but one of the things that stands out about PC is that he is only 6'1. Other than that I think he is the obvious choice because he is a dual threat QB with a year in CJBs system.

That's Sam Hartman, not the current starting QB for the Washington Redskins.

I'm not much sold on this complex playbook a grad transfer would have to learn at Louisville under Brohm. I didn't see too much complexity with Plummer at the helm.

None of us know what Brohm thinks about Clarkson taking over the job. We all are just assuming because we have nothing to go by. I find it curious that Brohm didn't give Clarkson some snaps in a few of those blowout wins. It wouldn't have jeopardized his redshirt.

Once these conference Championship games are over, we're going to see a lot of portal action and if Louisville is mentioned with several QB's, that may suggest Brohm is looking for someone he has more confidence in than a redshirt freshman.

On the contrary, if the Cards are not mentioned much, Brohm may be ready to give Clarkson the keys to the offense. I do believe another QB transfer may sign with Louisville as a backup regardless.

Whoops typo on Howell. Keep in mind he was with Brohm for 3-4 years. They do a bunch of things but may of cut it back some to match Plummer. To me QB is the hardest position in sports. There is a learning curve anytime a new QB comes either in learning the offense or stepping up in class. I may do some research to see if there has been any 1 year transfer that were actually great.

Whoops typo on Howell. Keep in mind he was with Brohm for 3-4 years. They do a bunch of things but may of cut it back some to match Plummer. To me QB is the hardest position in sports. There is a learning curve anytime a new QB comes either in learning the offense or stepping up in class. I may do some research to see if there has been any 1 year transfer that were actually great.
Well, Sam Hartman was pretty good at ND this year.

Who knows at this point but there are some interesting points to consider. As RealVille stated, it’s curious / odd that Clarkson didn’t get any run - but, he was hurt early and really the only game where he might have traditionally seen clock was the 34-3 game against VT.

Not including Conley, Doman or walk-ons, the remaining QBs are all listed at 6’3” or better. Bigger QBs seem to be Brohm’s preference and IMO - if Clarkson measured in at 6’1” - he did so on his tippy toes.

I also think that Brohm showed with Plummer that he’s willing to revise his offense some to fit the skill set. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest to see a portal qb be brought in.

Reactions: nccardfan
Well, Sam Hartman was pretty good at ND this year.
He wasn’t better than he was at Wake. They lost 3 games. They brought him in to go to the playoffs. That is my point. The QB has to learn all new terminology. The timing has to be perfected. Listened to Petrino on learning Jimbo’s offensive language he said it even really hard for him.

It depends on why the QB is transferring. If your school is going to be playing the 1 year transfer game you better schedule soft in the 1st 4 weeks. It will be choppy.

Don't believe it was Hartman that cost ND those losses, but I get your drift. I'm sure there's someone but most of the time, a QB needs more than one season to shine at a new school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT