ADVERTISEMENT

Richard Pitino A Candidate

If Josh doesn't hire a winner, he's done and UofL basketball will be in a place slightly lower than purgatory. Mediocrity isn't going to cut it. If the donor's are going to make the decision what the hell do we need an AD for?

I hate to tell you but Tom Jurich is not coming back, no matter how much you fantasize about it. Josh definitely deserves to be under a microscope but good lord, get over it.
I’m not advocating for TJ to come back. I know that ship has sailed. I’m not on that team.

We need Stewart from WKU. That’s a great AD in my opinion

Reactions: Rollem Cards
If Josh doesn't hire a winner, he's done and UofL basketball will be in a place slightly lower than purgatory. Mediocrity isn't going to cut it. If the donor's are going to make the decision what the hell do we need an AD for?
I agree but can we just wait to see what happens first?

Reactions: UofLouisville
We like nothing better than living in the past. Ex-players will be so happy. And maybe his dad will visit us again.
Oh you can bet Rick will be at every game possible. Remember when Little Richard was at Minnesota Rick would set behind the bench yelling out instructions to the team. He'll do that here too. Ought to be fun 🤮

I honestly believe that some of you hate Rick so bad that if Richard was named UL’s next coach and it became evident that Rick actually helped Richard return UL to relevance …… you would prefer to see both fail.

No, not really. Mediocrity is Richard Pitino. But I'm not in charge so it doesn't matter what I think. Whoever is hired I will support them...until they no longer deserve that support.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
I honestly believe that some of you hate Rick so bad that if Richard was named UL’s next coach and it became evident that Rick actually helped Richard return UL to relevance …… you would prefer to see both fail.
I see nothing in Richard’s track record that says he has earned the opportunity to be head coach at UofL. If he does get the position, I hope he does amazing because I’m a fan of the program, not specific people.

All of these analogies to previous ”father/son” performances are irrelevant to hiring Richard Pitino. Once again, I am not one of those who was promoting Richard as a candidate, but if we each take the time to survey the existing landscape, I believe most will come to the same conclusion; specifically that UL is not the attractive HC position that we were so accustomed to a decade ago.

NIL and the Transfer Portal have reconstructed college sports, and most of the metrics for HC success have changed dramatically along with this evolution. I love amateur sports, and I am the first to acknowledge that I never wanted to ever witness money having this much influence in college sports…… but that is where we are now.

UL needs the financial support in BB that Jeff received in FB. It looks like those who are promoting Richard Pitino are “putting their money where their mouth is”.

If a D1 head coach named Richard Smith had a record of 56-94 in the Big 10 and 23-30 in the Mountain West and in those 11 years of coaching, he had only 3 NCAA Tournament appearances, with a single win, what major college basketball programs would be calling on him to take over?

Nothing against Richard personally but this is the guy to resurrect the program here?
I think you nailed it only his last name is Pitino not Smith. I think between Richard and these other coaches being named Schwarz, Holloway, Wade, or Kelsey, I might actually attend his first game and I havent been in the Yum Center in 2 seasons. Just out of curiosity.

Reactions: Louisvillian
I see nothing in Richard’s track record that says he has earned the opportunity to be head coach at UofL. If he does get the position, I hope he does amazing because I’m a fan of the program, not specific people.
Why don't you listen to what Siva said about Richard and I would value a players opinion over a computer desk jockey.

There have probably only been 8-10 coaches over the past 30 years that can stand alone on their merits as great coaches no matter who was sitting on the bench next to them as assistants.
The rest have got to have great assistants that help navigate the waters so to speak.

Richard looks to be a guy who has learned from his days at Minnesota,adjusted and has changed unreluctantly with the new landscape of transfer portal and NIL. I don't know if he's the guy,but I don't know he isn't.

It's a gamble but at this point I think anybody you go after is.

Reactions: 2330859
You obviously do not follow my posts, as I have been consistent in assigning both the greed, as well as the money to its influence with college sports, and specifically at UL.

You and some of your cohorts have been so consumed with attacking Zipp personally, that you failed to understand the content of so many of his messages about the decline in UL’s financial woes.

My questions for you begins with asking how much money will you donate to the hiring of the next UL BB coach? How many times did you ever meet with Bill Olsen, Tom Jurich or Vince Tyra to discuss your contribution to UL sports? Do you know the 1970 acronym for Clemson’s IPTAY, and why that was such a significant development in college sports?

I know all about the money, and yes I was around when it was a growing factor in college sports as far back as the late 1960s.

If it ends up with a less than exciting hire, there will be tons of reasons.

The pool of candidates was weak, financial resource limitations, the reputation of the program is below water, whatever plan Josh was hoping for didn't really pan out, and the ACC might be in peril. Etc, etc, etc. And more, for sure.

There's no reason for a high-end guy to risk taking this job if they are already comfortable and making their millions.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
You obviously do not follow my posts, as I have been consistent in assigning both the greed, as well as the money to its influence with college sports, and specifically at UL.

You and some of your cohorts have been so consumed with attacking Zipp personally, that you failed to understand the content of so many of his messages about the decline in UL’s financial woes.

My questions for you begins with asking how much money will you donate to the hiring of the next UL BB coach? How many times did you ever meet with Bill Olsen, Tom Jurich or Vince Tyra to discuss your contribution to UL sports? Do you know the 1970 acronym for Clemson’s IPTAY, and why that was such a significant development in college sports?

I know all about the money, and yes I was around when it was a growing factor in college sports as far back as the late 1960s.
You said you loved amateur sports, $ has been controling it since the days players were getting steered to UCLA behind the scenes. The $ is now in everyone's face and it's too much to handle for fans when the wins dry up.

You want to defend your troll friend because you think like him and that is a you problem. We don't need a decade long of wash/rinse/repeat out of him to "get" his message. We heard him the first time my guy. We heard him the millionth time too.

We just don't need to hear it all day in every thread. That point flies over your head because he's your pal. Good for you guys. As stated a few times, smashing Zipp has brought a few of his buddies together in a very heart warming way, so the "attacks" or are they simply "responses to trolling" bwhahahaa... haven't been all bad.

Long story short he's a troll and I'm not the one that has banned him repeatedly mods decided to do that, so maybe you should take a step back and try to think harder about what you're witnessing. I know, unlikely, as you aren't the kind of guy that can be swayed off your horse and do any real self-evaluation. You've earned your right to have your thoughts and spread 'em. Have at it.

And since you feel compelled to share your thoughts about what I'm doing I'll point out to you your lectures in nearly all your posts are ridiculously condescending to all the readers. Again, a you problem. But hey nobody is perfect or anywhere close to that.

As for the rest of your lines of questioning, pass. I'm good with the culture the players deserve their cut the market decides. While you pine for the days where it was happening on a lower scale level out of sight I roll with the changes.

Bottom line you guys don't have your wins, your heroes screwed up, but yeah it's easier to focus on the clean-up crew for sure, and the "clowns".... oh boy! So throw y'alls food from the high chair yes have at that too, but it's everyone's right to push back to the echos.

Good luck with everything.

Last edited:
Why don't you listen to what Siva said about Richard and I would value a players opinion over a computer desk jockey.
I listened to a whole host of players convince us that Payne was going to be a great head coach here. How’d that work out? I love Siva but don’t you think he has some extra incentive for Richard to get the job? Using your own brain and some facts/data let me know why you think Richard would succeed here?

I listened to a whole host of players convince us that Payne was going to be a great head coach here. How’d that work out? I love Siva but don’t you think he has some extra incentive for Richard to get the job? Using your own brain and some facts/data let me know why you think Richard would succeed here?
Siva was actually on the KP train as well..

Reactions: UofLouisville
Siva was actually on the KP train as well..
Yes and that’s fine. I wouldn’t expect a former player to shit on any candidate unless they have some specific reason. But that’s also why I think their opinion isn’t worth anymore than us keyboard jockeys.

Reactions: BPGhost
Former players coming forth and blowing their horn for coaches they've never been coached by is disingenuous at the very least.

You said you loved amateur sports, $ has been controling it since the days players were getting steered to UCLA behind the scenes. The $ is now in everyone's face and it's too much to handle for fans when the wins dry up.

You want to defend your troll friend because you think like him and that is a you problem. We don't need a decade long of wash/rinse/repeat out of him to "get" his message. We heard him the first time my guy. We heard him the millionth time too.

We just don't need to hear it all day in every thread. That point flies over your head because he's your pal. Good for you guys. As stated a few times, smashing Zipp has brought a few of his buddies together in a very heart warming way, so the "attacks" or are they simply "responses to trolling" bwhahahaa... haven't been all bad.

Long story short he's a troll and I'm not the one that has banned him repeatedly mods decided to do that, so maybe you should take a step back and try to think harder about what you're witnessing. I know, unlikely, as you aren't the kind of guy that can be swayed off your horse and do any real self-evaluation. You've earned your right to have your thoughts and spread 'em. Have at it.

And since you feel compelled to share your thoughts about what I'm doing I'll point out to you your lectures in nearly all your posts are ridiculously condescending to all the readers. Again, a you problem. But hey nobody is perfect or anywhere close to that.

As for the rest of your lines of questioning, pass. I'm good with the culture the players deserve their cut the market decides. While you pine for the days where it was happening on a lower scale level out of sight I roll with the changes.

Bottom line you guys don't have your wins, your heroes screwed up, but yeah it's easier to focus on the clean-up crew for sure, and the "clowns".... oh boy! So throw y'alls food from the high chair yes have at that too, but it's everyone's right to push back to the echos.

Good luck with everything.
My questions to you were not entirely rhetorical, but I was not surprised that instead of answering any of the questions, you resorted to personal attacks. If you re-read your own response back to me, you will see why I will be "ignoring" you going forward; something that you could just as easily initiate on Zipp, myself and any others who you feel the need to personalize. There are some really good posters on this site who may have disagreement with me, but they challenge my opinions without turning into attacks.

Last observation: most will argue that Sam's financial support of UCLA players explains the success that Wooden enjoyed.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
The money folks that brought Payne to UL are not the same money folks who want Richard Pitino; in fact those who want Richard pulled away their support of UL BB quite awhile ago.
not really fans are they unless they can control things their way, and maybe it's the fffin boosters who have ran the program into the ground based on their shallow, narrow minded, i have to control all view of the world. . fu$k 'em all, it's the boosters and their infighting that has ruined the program.

take away his last name and he;d never ever be considered for this job, he shouldn;t be hired, just as bad as kp. boosters controlling the narrative but otherwise no reason he deserves to be mentioned for this job. old rich fuc$ers want the family ties but he's not his dad, never will be, and the city should simply move on from the name pitino as well as petrino.

IPTAY = I Pay Thirty A Year, for those too young to know. A modest sum by today's standards, but was an outrage along Tobacco Road and SC.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
glassmanJ; the UL boosters (neither Payne's or Pitino's) had anything to do with the assistant coach's behavior that led to the NCAA probation that started this mess, and as much hatred as there is towards Rick, it does not necessarily reflect on Richard Pitino, Keats, Cronin or any other candidates who might have worked at UL under Rick.

I am not sure at what point that UL fans will agree that UL BB is simply not very attractive to those outside of 502. The only notable name (forget performance for the time being) that seems to want the job is Richard Pitino, and I suspect he may decide to step aside as well, as this process continues to struggle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT