ADVERTISEMENT

Richard Pitino A Candidate

I normally don’t listen to Maybin anymore but I’ve tuned in to hear coaching info. Today Rummage was falling all over his boner for Richard Pitino. Passionately begging UofL to hire him. Rummage is wrong about everything. If he built a rocket ship to go to Mars, he’d crash land it on Venus.

Mike Rutherford said Richard Pitinos name is in play for the coaching job and has been contacted by UofL.
Well then Rutherford is all over the board, maybe trying to cover any possible option so that he can say he was right when all is said and done. I think I'll just ignore him for now.

Hopefully he misspoke and meant Rick Pitino. Richard will not be a head coach here or else Heird better get to looking at Help Wanted ads

Reactions: Art79
I wouldn’t eliminate anyone that has been contacted. This is really is a powder keg and whomever the coach is better be able to take a ridiculous amount of criticism. In some ways this is an impossible hire. At this point no one is going to really like the pick. It is very similar to UT hiring their football coach from UCF. Their fans didn’t like it but it worked out.

I really can’t see Richard even wanting this job, but it could work.

I think it’s a smart NIL play. I know he fizzled out at Minnesota but outside of Northwestern, that’s probably the toughest job in the Big Ten. He has also been good at New Mexico.
My only concern that him failing would be a disaster and I don’t think he is fireable as long as he is consistently mediocre.

Reactions: CrunchZone8
I really can’t see Richard even wanting this job, but it could work.

Take it FWIW, but Drew Deener says he knows Richard a bit and Richard would take the job today.

I don't know what to think. He's experienced, he just won a conference tournament. He has the legacy of the Pitino name to drive up excitement and the Yum would be full from day 1 out of the gate (especially if dad shows up). He seems to be improving as a coach. Maybe Louisville would elevate him, I don't know. The one thing I do know is TODAY he will drive more excitement than some dudes named Dusty or Shart who could walk through the Jefferson Mall and not be noticed.

Not saying he should be the guy, but it would be a bigger splash and immediate impact than the guy from Seton Hall who looks like Father Gabriel from The Walking Dead.

I still think Musselman is the safest hire in terms of success and the way he works the portal Louisville would be competitive next year. Something is off with him, it's strange we don't see him mentioned otehr than fan speculation, nothing from inside sources.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Cardinal Authority has confirmed through multiple sources that Richard Pitino has emerged as a top candidate to become the head coach at the University of Louisville. U of L athletic director Josh Heird has been in contact with Pitino several times over the past few days.

This will piss a lot of you off, particularly those who are not supporting UL financially. There is a significant group of financial supporters who left UL when TJ was terminated, and they were engaged in an unsuccessful effort to lobby Tom’s return as AD before Josh was selected.

Every one is entitled to their own opinion, but if you put aside personal feelings, most will agree that UL basketball is no where close to where it was when TJ was our AD. Losing its two top HC candidates should confirm that UL is no longer considered anywhere close to what it used to be from those outside 502.

That brings me back to those who withdrew their financial support when Tom left; as they are the same ones who want Richard Pitino as our HC. Make no mistake, Josh understands what their money, and their influence in the business community can do right now, and I am not sure that any other hire will assure UL of anything that matches that.

“The devil you know might be better than the devil you don’t know”.

Not questioning 99% of @2330859 's analysis.

But the ONLY reason that U of L would even consider hiring Richard is because clowns are out of options, staffing and financial. I'm not giving clowns any credit for now being brought to their knees...

Reactions: Rollem Cards
If a D1 head coach named Richard Smith had a record of 56-94 in the Big 10 and 23-30 in the Mountain West and in those 11 years of coaching, he had only 3 NCAA Tournament appearances, with a single win, what major college basketball programs would be calling on him to take over?

Nothing against Richard personally but this is the guy to resurrect the program here?

This will piss a lot of you off, particularly those who are not supporting UL financially. There is a significant group of financial supporters who left UL when TJ was terminated, and they were engaged in an unsuccessful effort to lobby Tom’s return as AD before Josh was selected.

Every one is entitled to their own opinion, but if you put aside personal feelings, most will agree that UL basketball is no where close to where it was when TJ was our AD. Losing its two top HC candidates should confirm that UL is no longer considered anywhere close to what it used to be from those outside 502.

That brings me back to those who withdrew their financial support when Tom left; as they are the same ones who want Richard Pitino as our HC. Make no mistake, Josh understands what their money, and their influence in the business community can do right now, and I am not sure that any other hire will assure UL of anything that matches that.

So your saying Josh should hire Dick for the moneylenders? That worked out fantastic last time. In fact it looks like those same money folk abandoned that last guy after they got what they wanted. Will be disappointed with another pitino, particularly one who's had plenty of opportunity but didn't accomplish much of anything. But if you do Josh, make sure you get the money first this time.

On the glass half full side, it is possible that Richard has become a better coach since his disappointing tenure at Minnesota. That probably not going to excite many fans, especially when compared to his father but everyone is different.

God knows he’s learned under some legendary coaches and by all accounts is a good guy and a hard worker.

I’m trying.

So your saying Josh should hire Dick for the moneylenders? That worked out fantastic last time. In fact it looks like those same money folk abandoned that last guy after they got what they wanted. Will be disappointed with another pitino, particularly one who's had plenty of opportunity but didn't accomplish much of anything. But if you do Josh, make sure you get the money first this time.
The money folks that brought Payne to UL are not the same money folks who want Richard Pitino; in fact those who want Richard pulled away their support of UL BB quite awhile ago.

BTW, my post was not an endorsement of Richard, just sharing what I know was behind this initiative. WTS, I have not seen evidence that UL is capable of finding anyone better right now.

I don’t disagree. Who’s left on the list Kelcey? What positives does he bring? He’s a big time gamble and half the fan base will be pissed. So if half the fan base will be pissed follow the money. It’s what’s limited us on this coaches search.
Walking into this mess isn’t for everyone. Our fan base isn’t toxic but it is demanding and it has scared candidates away.
I say if Richard wants it he’s less than a gamble then Kelcey and he’ll play a style we like.
Is it what I hoped for not close, but what I wanted isn’t going to happen.

What if those same donors wanted Tom Crean? Money matters most i guess. Might as well let donors run practice. Tom could get money, but he never let donors tell him who to hire.

I’ll tell you this, the only positive about Heird hiring Richard for that group will be how it proves the ineptitude of this University since TJ left. It’s going to take a coaching search this terrible for us to move on from Josh.

Tom Jurich would’ve had a decent hire at worst. He wouldn’t have even sniffed Richard, Schertz, or May. Jurich would actually hire the real Pitino at St John’s. Not the off brand mediocre son.

Richard Pitino is the hire Josh Heird and the clown show deserve. That’s who you get when you’re an embarrassment.

Tom Jurich would’ve had a decent hire at worst. He wouldn’t have even sniffed Richard, Schertz, or May. Jurich would actually hire the real Pitino at St John’s.
Wait till Richard hears that he’s not a real Pitino.

It’s gonna crush him.

Imagine what Jerry Tarkanian could do for UNLV now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT