ADVERTISEMENT

Reggie bonnafon missing in action?

hintondc

Getting the Hang of It
Dec 27, 2011
I feel like this player was not used properly with his ability to throw the ball. Whatever happened to sneaky Bobby and his gimmick plays? Especially when you have a talent like bonaffon on your roster? What's the take amongst you guys?

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
I feel like this player was not used properly with his ability to throw the ball. Whatever happened to sneaky Bobby and his gimmick plays? Especially when you have a talent like bonaffon on your roster? What's the take amongst you guys?

When he goes into the game, the defenses are usually aware of this.
Do it from the Wildcard. Since Reggie is a former QB, he success rate should be higher.

We've been asking that question all year. We call it Bobby 1.0 vs Bobby 2.0. Bobby 1.0 had a HUGE set of cajones when it came to running trick plays, fake punts, going for it on 4th down, etc. Bobby 2.0 doesn't do any of that.

What I always wanted to see was a play where Bonnafon and Jackson were lined up side by side at the QB position. If you're an opposing defense, are you even certain which one the ball is going to be snapped to? You know both can run and both can throw. If nothing else, it would make the defense burn a time out just to draw up a strategy.

We've been asking that question all year. We call it Bobby 1.0 vs Bobby 2.0. Bobby 1.0 had a HUGE set of cajones when it came to running trick plays, fake punts, going for it on 4th down, etc. Bobby 2.0 doesn't do any of that.

What I always wanted to see was a play where Bonnafon and Jackson were lined up side by side at the QB position. If you're an opposing defense, are you even certain which one the ball is going to be snapped to? You know both can run and both can throw. If nothing else, it would make the defense burn a time out just to draw up a strategy.
It's a double edged sword. If Bobby 1.0 is still calling trick plays, then the talking heads are calling the Cards a gimmick program that can't compete on the big stage. If Bobby 2.0 plays big boy football and things don't work out, then it's because we're not legit to be considered a power 5 program. A no win situation for Bobby Petrino without running the table. Even if we ran the table, IMO they would find another excuse to knock the UofL football program. I mean we're supposed to be a basketball school for crying out loud. Remember? John L told us we need to know our place in the football food chain.

Because you'd be taking the ball out of the hands of college football's best player.

Would you? Who says it has to go to Bonnafon? Lamar has rushed for over 1500 yards this year. Swing pass from Bonnafon to Jackson with a wall of blockers? Snap it to Jackson, have him roll right, then lateral back to Bonnafon and let Bonnafon hit someone down field because you know the whole defense is rolling with Jackson.

So many potential things you could do with that formation..............

It's a double edged sword. If Bobby 1.0 is still calling trick plays, then the talking heads are calling the Cards a gimmick program that can't compete on the big stage. If Bobby 2.0 plays big boy football and things don't work out, then it's because we're not legit to be considered a power 5 program. A no win situation for Bobby Petrino without running the table. Even if we ran the table, IMO they would find another excuse to knock the UofL football program. I mean we're supposed to be a basketball school for crying out loud. Remember? John L told us we need to know our place in the football food chain.
We run the table we're in. Washington proved that. We just didn't look good the back half of the year. Had we ended like we started we're in. You have to earn respect, it's a process and it's happening just takes time.,

Reactions: Cue Card
Most defenses played deep zones against us. Fakes, mis-directions, etc were useless when defenses have 7 defenders keeping everything in front of them.

I would have actually preferred Reggie being more involved as a receiver. He caught most everything, and seemed to deliver when his # was called. He also seems to me, that he has the intangibles of playing with a lot of heart and being a team guy.

Reactions: GoldCard
He caught a lot of tds but didn't appear to do much between the 20s. Hopefully he can be a go to guy next year.

Because you'd be taking the ball out of the hands of college football's best player.
Precisely. Someone needs to check how many halfback passes were thrown at A&M when Manziel was there, or at FSU with Famous Jameis in charge. I'll bet not many...

Bonnafon was the second fastest guy we could put in the backfield. IMO, he was a true all purpose back and could/should have seen 8 - 10 touches per game (flares, screens, quick slants, jet and toss sweeps, RB pass, etc.). I think they tried 2 throwback passes with him over the course of the year. FWIW, I think a "speed" back better compliments the spread option running game than does a "power" back.

Peace

Reactions: gocds
Bonnafon was the second fastest guy we could put in the backfield. IMO, he was a true all purpose back and could/should have seen 8 - 10 touches per game (flares, screens, quick slants, jet and toss sweeps, RB pass, etc.). I think they tried 2 throwback passes with him over the course of the year. FWIW, I think a "speed" back better compliments the spread option running game than does a "power" back.

Peace

Yeah yeah, I'm just not buying this 4.2 40 S&C hullabaloo. That is NFL elite speed. Not once in Reggie's three years here have I seen a play where he looked fast on an elite level. I do wish they would have utilized him more this season, cause some games he was just a non-factor. Hopefully that will change. I too was hoping they might call that jet sweep fake pass play again and hit Lamar for a receiving TD. But, oh well.

RB is softer than a baby's ass. Doesn't like to be hit, must be something in the water @ Trinity.

Agree. I think CBP thought we good enough to win without gimmicks.

Yes, and just think about it. You try a play like that and it fails which generally ends up giving the other team good field position. Now, let's get that attitude and swagger back. 1.0 would not have accepted putting the ball on the carpet so damn many times. Don't get me started on penalties. Even our damn WR's are getting called for offsides. If that is not the dumbest penalty on earth I am not sure what is.

Yes, and just think about it. You try a play like that and it fails which generally ends up giving the other team good field position. Now, let's get that attitude and swagger back. 1.0 would not have accepted putting the ball on the carpet so damn many times. Don't get me started on penalties. Even our damn WR's are getting called for offsides. If that is not the dumbest penalty on earth I am not sure what is.

Here is one: the 'O' lineman falls over backwards at the line of scrimmage before the center can snap the ball! Duh!:mad::confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O More egregious to me.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
Today I would consider a trick play to be any that ended with someone besides LJ with the ball.

Yes. I know he is the most dynamic player in America.

Yes. I know he often makes something from nothing.

I also know that when teams sell out to contain HIM, we haven't been nearly as dangerous, or scored as much.

We will need to spread the wealth (feed the OTHER studs) against LSU. They will NOT let the Heisman winner beat them by himself.

Now, he very may be the one to beat them IF we spread the ball around and make them defend the whole field.

So yeah, I hope we have some "tricks" up our sleeve.

Yeah yeah, I'm just not buying this 4.2 40 S&C hullabaloo. That is NFL elite speed. Not once in Reggie's three years here have I seen a play where he looked fast on an elite level. I do wish they would have utilized him more this season, cause some games he was just a non-factor. Hopefully that will change. I too was hoping they might call that jet sweep fake pass play again and hit Lamar for a receiving TD. But, oh well.
Didn't mean or say he was a 4.2 guy...damn few are. I just meant he was probably the second fastest guy we could play at RB.

Peace

Didn't mean or say he was a 4.2 guy...damn few are. I just meant he was probably the second fastest guy we could play at RB.

Peace

I'm referencing the chatter about him recording that time in the off season. If Bonnafon is running a 4.2, Lamar runs a sub-4

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT