ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING: Recent commit evaluations (Montgomery, Black, & Gregory)

Chris Person

Oct 3, 2016
I have a feeling I'll be doing more of these posts soon so I wanted to go ahead and give you all at least a snippet of my thoughts on each of Louisville's most recent commits.

Monty Montgomery

My Evaluation: Montgomery is a quick twitch athlete that can cover a lot of ground in a very short amount of time. At 5'11" 218lbs Montgomery reminds me a little of current Louisville LB CJ Avery with his versatility. He isn't the prototypical linebacker size which is why I think he may have flown under the radar in his recruitment, but he oozes with playmaking ability. Montgomery repeatedly shows really good discipline and is patient while not overpursuing. Montgomery has really good burst when he attacks the ball carrier and does a really good job of not getting caught up in blocks. Overall Montgomery isn't a guy that intimidates others when he steps foot off of a bus, but once he makes contact with you once in the game, offensive players will be wary of crossing his path again.

Joshua Black

My Evaluation: Joshua Black is athletic as offensive lineman come. In fact, he reminds me a little of Adonis Boone in that it wouldn't shock me to see Black technically be able to play tight end here and there. Regardless, Black is surprisingly strong for being on the lighter side, listed at 270lbs. I know the trend has been going to lighter more athletic linemen, especially for Louisville since Satterfield took over, but Black will likely need to add a little more size/muscle before he is ready to play. With doing that and just the adjustment period going to college ball we'll just have to wait and see whether Black can impact in 2019 or not, but regardless, from a potential standpoint, I think Black will be a baller at Louisville before it's all said and done.

Jackson Gregory

My Evaluation: Gregory was recruited to Louisville as an offensive center and once again has good, but not prototypical size at 6'3" 280lbs. Gregory isn't quite as athletic as Joshua Black is but what he brings to the table is a very physical lineman that can really move guys for a somewhat light offensive lineman. Once Gregory gets his hands on a defensive lineman, game over. He appears to be fairly developed from a physical standpoint and could very well compete for playing time early if that need arises. Obviously the ideal scenario would be for him to redshirt, especially with adding McCoy from Florida, but Gregory is yet another really impressive prospect that I think will be a major contributor in a year or two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News