ADVERTISEMENT

Ravens gave it away

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
I hate to say it but Lamar again has given his critics reasons to say what they say about him.

He was not composed at all when the Browns were coming back. On the contrary, the much more maligned DeShawn Watson was the more composed and effective QB.

The Ravens are 7 and 3 but all three losses are total choke jobs. Lamar and the Ravens either kick your ass or blow it in the 4th quarter.

It's why he hasn't had any success in the post season and why critics don't think he can win a Super Bowl. I love Lamar and always defended him, but today he simply gave the game away.

As much as I love Lamar, I can’t disagree. Jackson just hasn’t shown to be “clutch” when it matters. He can be SO poised and efficient throughout a game, but just doesn’t seem to be able to make the needed plays in crunch time. I sure hope he can win a few playoff games in the near future to get that monkey off his back.

There is some truth there, but look at the way Cleveland’s OL bullied the Ravens defense on the late go-ahead drive. Watson threw to some wide-open receivers, but it was the dominating running game in that final series that wiped away the 1 point Ravens lead. I have seen Baltimore fold around Lamar too many times to place the blame on him. 31 points should have been enough to win that game.

Reactions: Louisvillian
There is some truth there, but look at the way Cleveland’s OL bullied the Ravens defense on the late go-ahead drive. Watson threw to some wide-open receivers, but it was the dominating running game in that final series that wiped away the 1 point Ravens lead. I have seen Baltimore fold around Lamar too many times to place the blame on him. 31 points should have been enough to win that game.
You have to ask yourself how many times at least this season has Lamar miscues allowed teams to come back? Baltimore's defense is good but they have been asked time and time again to make up for either his late interceptions or fumbles. I am a Lamar fan through and through but its time we stop making excuses for him. He wanted a receiver, they got him Odell. Its time for him to go and at least get to the SB. Chiefs, Bills, Bengals are all vulnerable for the taking.

You have to ask yourself how many times at least this season has Lamar miscues allowed teams to come back? Baltimore's defense is good but they have been asked time and time again to make up for either his late interceptions or fumbles. I am a Lamar fan through and through but its time we stop making excuses for him. He wanted a receiver, they got him Odell. Its time for him to go and at least get to the SB. Chiefs, Bills, Bengals are all vulnerable for the taking.
its a two way street though on his miscues. when they lost to the steelers he threw a perfect ball to the tight end on 4th down late in the 4th and dude dropped it and he barely gets field time anymore. he catches that ball and the ravens run out the game. i think similar thing happened with indy. but the truth is in all three of their losses they were winning late in the 4th and simply needed to make one first down to control the rest of the game and they've failed for whatever reason. but in fairness, he's also led them to long drives in the 4th to win. if anything he's tony romo until he proves otherwise. btu until this year he;s had no one to throw to and the ravens jsut ran and couldn;t keep up scoring in playoffs. this year they have way more but haven't seemed to put games away. and their receivers have had the msot drops in the nfl early on and lamar still have the highest completion % in the nfl with over 51% before yesterdays game. and he's only had i think 2 games this year will all receivers healthy and yesterday they lost their best o-lineman and marlon humhpries on D which changed the game. so let's jsut see how he does come late december, they are still in first place at least.

Reactions: 2330859
If the Ravens defense does not allow Cleveland to run over them in the last 5 minutes of the game, this OP would never get started.

Watch the Ravens defense in the first quarter and compare it to their performance in the 4th quarter ……… they look like two different teams.

Lamar is not perfect, nor can his high risk style of play avoid fumbles and interceptions. Glassman’s point is well-made; the receivers have to make those critical catches, particularly in those 3rd down situations in order to sustain their leads.

Reactions: Louisvillian
The Ravens defense was gassed in the 4th quarter no doubt, but the inability for the offense to stay on the field knowing this is and has been the problem.

Lamar and the offense seem to have little trouble until they need to hold onto the possession. I know this happens to a lot of teams but it's definitely been the case that it happens too much with Lamar.

Watching the game with the Ravens holding on to a 31 to 30 lead, I knew that the Ravens would end up punting the ball back to the Browns. I felt this way because it has been the tendency with Lamar, whether it's on him or not.

What I'm saying is this perception of Lamar Jackson at crunch time will persist as long as the Ravens keep choking games away they had won.

its a two way street though on his miscues. when they lost to the steelers he threw a perfect ball to the tight end on 4th down late in the 4th and dude dropped it and he barely gets field time anymore. he catches that ball and the ravens run out the game. i think similar thing happened with indy. but the truth is in all three of their losses they were winning late in the 4th and simply needed to make one first down to control the rest of the game and they've failed for whatever reason. but in fairness, he's also led them to long drives in the 4th to win. if anything he's tony romo until he proves otherwise. btu until this year he;s had no one to throw to and the ravens jsut ran and couldn;t keep up scoring in playoffs. this year they have way more but haven't seemed to put games away. and their receivers have had the msot drops in the nfl early on and lamar still have the highest completion % in the nfl with over 51% before yesterdays game. and he's only had i think 2 games this year will all receivers healthy and yesterday they lost their best o-lineman and marlon humhpries on D which changed the game. so let's jsut see how he does come late december, they are still in first place at least.
I don't dispute your statements but Lamar is not the only QB with players out for injuries or dropped passes. I also don't think we have to wait until December to find out. I think this Thursday will be a major test to see how Lamar responds. Go Ravens!

I don't dispute your statements but Lamar is not the only QB with players out for injuries or dropped passes. I also don't think we have to wait until December to find out. I think this Thursday will be a major test to see how Lamar responds. Go Ravens!
yes, but late in the fourth quarter and you are about to win the game and your TE, justice, drops a pass with no one around him and the game would have been over. that's not lamar's fault but he gets the blame? they lsot that game when the catch would have won it. i believe the indy game they muffed a punt deep and rb had a fumble late when they were leading. and i beleive the ravens scored over 30 again against the best running D in the league and #3 overall. but ravens gave up 33. kicker missed fg's. but lamar's fault?

Reactions: 2330859
Exactly Glassman; I saw it the exact same way. Local Baltimore fans say that Lamar’s teammates know that he has been unfairly assigned responsibility for losses where it was just as Glassman pointed out, opportunities to close the deal that were thwarted by other players failing to execute on the offensive side of the ball.

4th quarter defensive stands that could not stop the opponent, does appears to be a result of fatigue.

Exactly Glassman; I saw it the exact same way. Local Baltimore fans say that Lamar’s teammates know that he has been unfairly assigned responsibility for losses where it was just as Glassman pointed out, opportunities to close the deal that were thwarted by other players failing to execute on the offensive side of the ball.

4th quarter defensive stands that could not stop the opponent, does appears to be a result of fatigue.
I know it seems like I'm bashing Lamar but I'm not. I'm just saying his TO's and his quick 3 and outs are why the Ravens defense are put in those late game situations. Blame it on bad play calling or execution. It has to get better if the Ravens want to see the SB.

lamar has thrown some bad passes but his receivers did nothing to help him in the steelers game but article says Ravens 4th quarter D with the lead is worst in the league.
A week ago the Ravens were being talked about as maybe the most dominant team in the league. A week later, and we have a sobering reminder that like most teams, they have flaws.

Baltimore blew yet another lead in Week 10, this time to the Browns, who were down 14 points in the fourth quarter. It was Baltimore's ninth loss in the last three years with a lead of at least seven points in the fourth quarter. That's the most losses in those situations in a three-season span in NFL history.

At this point, I imagine Ravens fans reacting in similar fashion to Jerry Seinfeld in the episode with the rental car reservation.

"See, you know how to take the lead. You just don't know how to hold the lead."

Indeed. If the Ravens have Super Bowl aspirations, they should be measured against the best. They have more losses in those situations in the last three years (nine) than the Chiefs, Eagles, 49ers, Bengals, Bills and Cowboys combined (eight).

The stats coming out on the Ravens failure to close games are astonishing.

They've started 7-3 for a second straight season despite historic domination.

The 2023 Ravens are the 10th team since 2000 to lead in the final two minutes in each of their first 10 games. The other nine teams were 89-1. Again, this team is 7-3.

The 2022 Ravens were the sixth team in NFL history to lead by double-digits in each of their first 10 games. The other five teams were 49-1.

Baltimore's recent failures to maintain leads might be the biggest thing keeping them from a Super Bowl (outside of a Lamar Jackson injury). On the surface, it doesn't make much sense either. The Ravens have one of the league best run games and defenses, a formula built for protecting leads. So what's going on here?

I watched all the plays from their biggest fourth-quarter blown leads over the last several years and came to these three conclusions:

1. Lamar Jackson turnovers​

For better or worse, it starts with the quarterback, who will always take too much of the blame and likewise get more credit than deserved.

Lamar Jackson has made too many ill-advised throws or mistakes late in these games. He has 13 total touchdowns and 13 turnovers in the fourth quarter over the last three years. Not the ratio you would expect from one of the NFL's best quarterbacks. It's also not in the same league as the other greats, such as Josh Allen (29-11), Joe Burrow (25-11), Patrick Mahomes (21-10) and Jalen Hurts (20-4).

He has five touchdowns and an NFL-high eight turnovers in that span when playing with a lead in the fourth quarter. He ranks last in passer rating (60.7) in those situations, and 23rd in EPA per play, an efficiency metric that takes into account all plays (passes, scrambles, sacks etc…) and situations.

His pick-six against the Browns on Sunday definitely swung the result of the game, but was also a bit fluky on a batted pass. Still, he was fortunate to have an interception thrown into the end zone earlier in the fourth quarter nullified by penalty.

He wasn't so lucky when Baltimore blew a lead to the Steelers in Week 5. He threw this interception into the end zone with a chance to put the game on ice. Instead, Pittsburgh came back to win.

There was also this ill-advised throw against the Giants in Week 6 last year that came back to bite the Ravens.

Simply put, Jackson needs to make better decisions with the football. Turning the ball over in the fourth quarter, especially with the lead, is a killer and has come back to bite the Ravens several times.

2. Worst defense in NFL with a lead in fourth quarter​

The Ravens have one of the best (if not the best) defense in the NFL this season, so it was surprising to see them allow Deshaun Watson to go 14 of 14 passing in the second half on Sunday. Keep in mind, Watson suffered a high-ankle sprain and broken throwing shoulder earlier in the game.

Baltimore's defense has been a no-show in late, close situations. They rank dead last in EPA per play on defense with a fourth-quarter lead in the last three seasons. I repeat. The Ravens rank last. Like last among all 32 teams. Not something I thought I'd say about their defense in anything. They rank second-best in all other situations.

Maybe the Ravens take their foot off the gas and lose their edge in these spots, because they have the most missed tackles (89) and fourth-worst missed tackle rate (14%) with a fourth-quarter lead in the last three seasons. David Njoku burned Baltimore for about 20 yards after catch on this play Sunday. Roquan Smith took a bad angle and missed the tackle, then Njoku carried safety Geno Stone about 10 yards. Cleveland broke tackles, pushed the pile and manhandled Baltimore in several spots late in the game. It did not look like the Ravens defense.

There were several plays in their blown lead against the Steelers where Jaylen Warren shrugged off would-be tacklers, too. Baltimore has also given up too many deep balls at the end of the game, allowing the highest completion rate (58%) on throws 15-plus air yards with a fourth-quarter lead in the last three seasons. Kenny Pickett connected with George Pickens for the game winner in Week 5.

There's a certain amount of credit due to the offense for flat out making plays like this, and that's also been a theme throughout these blown leads. But, considering Baltimore's defense is usually stout, that's where I place most of the blame.

3. No closer on defense​

The biggest reason Baltimore is getting shredded when they should be closing games is the lack of a closer. A superstar edge rusher that can get critical pressure to lock a game down. It's been a while since the Ravens had a game changer off the edge.

Jadeveon Clowney is quietly having a productive season in Baltimore, but they probably haven't had a force off the edge since Matthew Judon or even Terrell Suggs. Suggs is the last Ravens player with double-digit sacks in a season (2017).

Time-and-time again during these comebacks the opposing QB has made great plays, but also had too much time to throw. It was Watson in the second half Sunday, Trevor Lawrence in last year's crazy finish in Jacksonville, and Tua Tagovailoa in the Dolphins' 21-point fourth-quarter comeback in Week 2 last year.

The Ravens are 22nd in pressure rate with a fourth-quarter lead in the last three seasons. It drops to 26th in those situations on third down. Baltimore allows opponents to convert on nearly half of its third downs with a fourth-quarter lead in the last three years.

Without a reliable four-man pass rush, the Ravens blitz has been carved up to the tune of 8.7 yards per attempt in these spots.

It's one reason I would be concerned about Baltimore in the postseason when they could have to win the game with a late stop against Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Josh Allen or any of the uber-talented QBs in the AFC.

We might not even have to wait until January for a preview. We could be spoiled with a clutch moment tonight when Baltimore hosts Burrow and the Bengals.

Reactions: Steelers2012
Despite an injured ankle, Lamar finished the game leading the Ravens to a win. Most will concede that Lamar is back in the conversation for MVP. If I heard correctly, his passing efficiency was at 70%???

Reactions: glassmanJ
Despite an injured ankle, Lamar finished the game leading the Ravens to a win. Most will concede that Lamar is back in the conversation for MVP. If I heard correctly, his passing efficiency was at 70%???
passing % was highest in the league before browns game. and his receivers dropped a ton of balls early in the season, seems to be getting better as of late. but now andrews out and have to see if OBJ's shoulder is gimpy. regretfully htey are going to have to rely on isiah likely more often but he's been a butterfingers. he dropped the easy pass vs steelers that would have sealed the game. lamar doens't trust him too much

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT