ADVERTISEMENT

Random thought: who is our most successful NFL RB

Cardinal Cash

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2016
I don’t think it’s any secret that our most talented RB was Michael Bush, but with Rueben Owens on campus I got to thinking, who is our most notable RB in the NFL that would be good to have show Owens around Campus? Bilal Powell? Bush? I think despite having some solid RBs at the college level we haven’t had too many NFL success stories.

Bilal's 8 year pro career was very impressive. 8 years in the league at RB is an eternity
Not only an 8 year career, but all 8 with one team. Too bad it was with the Jets. He had a solid career. Never a star RB, but solid.

108 games played, 850 rushing attempts, 3,675 yards, 15 TD's, 4.3 YPC, 211 receptions, 1,600 yards, 5 TD's. And, I believe he played special teams early in his career. He put in the work.

I don’t think it’s any secret that our most talented RB was Michael Bush, but with Rueben Owens on campus I got to thinking, who is our most notable RB in the NFL that would be good to have show Owens around Campus? Bilal Powell? Bush? I think despite having some solid RBs at the college level we haven’t had too many NFL success stories.
Yeah, UofL can be considered (insert position) U for a variety of positions, foremost being QBU. Unfortunately, RBU isn't one of them. That said, current NFL RB's from UofL include Reggie Bonnafon and Javian Hawkins, who just won a Super Bowl ring. Just going from memory, aside from the ones already mentioned in this thread, former Cards RB's who made it to the NFL, let's say the last 30 years or so, are Frank Moreau, Brock Bolin (FB), Carwell Gardner (FB), Kolby Smith, Eric Shelton, Lionel Gates, and Michael Dyer. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I think Carwell Gardner. Ron Davenport had a bunch of TDs as a rookie with Miami but didn't really build on that, I think he played in the early 80s.

carwell made it to the super bowl. and if memory is correct, he like jeff brohm made it to the super bowl. and both from trinity high and at one point there was them two, mike pfeiffer(?) and then brian brohm all played in nfl. so four dudes from local high all played and two made it to the super bowl so pretty cool in a small world.

Talk about someone who maximized their opportunity...Bilal Powell certainly did; from being recruited and signed as somewhat under-the-radar by Kragthorpe to having Charlie Strong pronounce him "the Face of the Program" . Running backs have the shortest career span of virtually any position in American professional sports.

Owens has a skill set very coveted by creative coordinators these days; he runs between the tackles very well in HS though it sounds like his O line may have graduated...but his camp highlights show somebody who looks like they transition easily to coming out of the backfield. When you think about it over-the-shoulder and back shoulder catches for RBs isn't exactly common.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morgantown Card
I don't know about all of that....but it sure was fun to watch him play and run the ball all over the place. He was an awesome player in his day....looks like his awesomeness spilled over in his personal life after CFB....speaks volume for his character and abilities outside of FB.

Reactions: scrumm21
Not only an 8 year career, but all 8 with one team. Too bad it was with the Jets. He had a solid career. Never a star RB, but solid.

108 games played, 850 rushing attempts, 3,675 yards, 15 TD's, 4.3 YPC, 211 receptions, 1,600 yards, 5 TD's. And, I believe he played special teams early in his career. He put in the work.

Bilal was part of the big U-turn for hte program in Charlie's first year. I remember that big run he had, can't remember the opponent, but it was a MAN'S run that at the time I thought yeah we're going to be alright.

Also, IIRC, Krag burned his redshirt by playing Powell in the final game of the year that last season. That is from memory though. Wasn't a great time, haha.

Bilal was part of the big U-turn for hte program in Charlie's first year. I remember that big run he had, can't remember the opponent, but it was a MAN'S run that at the time I thought yeah we're going to be alright.

Also, IIRC, Krag burned his redshirt by playing Powell in the final game of the year that last season. That is from memory though. Wasn't a great time, haha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT