ADVERTISEMENT

Positives from the Ga Tech game

Both your arguing about the QB and their not the main problem. The main problem is the Oline, which should be pretty good, but is a mess. They aren't giving any quarterback time or running lanes for the running back. When a good quarterback isn't given any time he sucks too. Put an average and inexperienced quarterback behind a bad line they look terrible. The line was terrible on Friday. The line has been all over the place performance wise. The TE blocking is terrible as well both are soft.

Until the line plays at a higher level on a consistent basis the quarterback play will continue to be bad. On top of that our running backs like fumbling.

This offense is a wildly inconsistent, has been for years. They should have beaten FSU easily but couldn't take advantage because of stupid mistakes or missed passes that average QB's make every week. They show up for 1st half against FSU then disappear and then against GT they don't show in the 1st half. This is all tied to coaching which the players aren't listening too, that is the main problem.

You're misrepresenting my position... I never said Cunningham should start over Pass.
Then what should be done with that information? I don’t understand why you make a “factual” and analytical observation, then don’t follow through with a conclusion. There seems to be no point to your posts. You may not have said Cunningham should start over Pass, but what conclusion, then, do you draw from your observations?

Reactions: HRTheCard
Yep. They are meaningless stats.

"It's hard to fathom how little fans know..."

You don't know a damn thing about what's going on in practice or the locker room, or on the field. Maybe Malik has an attitude problem. Maybe he was late for practice a few weeks ago, and late again last week. Maybe he's ran the wrong play multiple times during the games he's played and/or in the practices. Maybe he was insubordinate with a coach. Or maybe he's ran the right play multiple plays incorrectly in games and/or practices. Maybe he is struggling academically. Maybe he has an injury the staff is not reporting. Maybe he is regressing during practice, or not getting better. Maybe the playbook is simply too difficult for the FR Cunningham to grasp and Petrino has to significantly cut the playbook down in the games when Cunningham is the QB. Maybe Pass has gotten better in practice. Maybe Pass is showing leadership skills fanboys don't see behind closed doors, or even on the field. Maybe the playbook is wide open when Pass is in the game and there are more play calling options. Maybe Petrino puts a lot of value into throws like the one Pass made to Atwell for the 1st TD vs G Tech, and Petrino thinks Cunningham cannot make that pass right now (spoiler alert, because it doesn't appear he can). Maybe Petrino has turned the majority of the snaps to Pass because he thinks he can make multiple throws, and multiple reads Cunningham can't yet (spoiler alert, seems obvious). There could be a number of explanations as to why Cunningham has played one snap in the last two weeks. All we have is our fanboy speculation.

The reality is, I don't know. And you don't know either. Because, as you have stated many, many, MANY times on these boards.... fans don't know anything. Don't forget, you're just a fanboy like everybody else.

So please spare us your fanboy playing time requests. Either that, or keep telling us what players you want to see play more based on your uninformed opinions. I'd be okay with that, if you weren't being such a hypocrite and calling out other fanboys who have their own uninformed opinions on how to fix things.

Maybe Cunningham will earn his playing time moving forward. I will be rooting him on if/when he gets the chance.
Is there a stat in there?...

Both your arguing about the QB and their not the main problem. The main problem is the Oline, which should be pretty good, but is a mess. They aren't giving any quarterback time or running lanes for the running back. When a good quarterback isn't given any time he sucks too. Put an average and inexperienced quarterback behind a bad line they look terrible. The line was terrible on Friday. The line has been all over the place performance wise. The TE blocking is terrible as well both are soft.

Until the line plays at a higher level on a consistent basis the quarterback play will continue to be bad. On top of that our running backs like fumbling.

This offense is a wildly inconsistent, has been for years. They should have beaten FSU easily but couldn't take advantage because of stupid mistakes or missed passes that average QB's make every week. They show up for 1st half against FSU then disappear and then against GT they don't show in the 1st half. This is all tied to coaching which the players aren't listening too, that is the main problem.
I can multitask, thanks. And I never exempted the O-line or any other position from scrutiny. IMO this team doesn't have just one or two problems. Giving so much PT to one QB with so little results ain't helping...

My argument is more about Z calling out others for having and voicing fanboy opinions but thinking it's okay for him to have and voice his own fanboy opinions.
Well, you probably need to get over that or move over to that thread. 'Cuz it ain't the subject of this one...

Then what should be done with that information? I don’t understand why you make a “factual” and analytical observation, then don’t follow through with a conclusion. There seems to be no point to your posts. You may not have said Cunningham should start over Pass, but what conclusion, then, do you draw from your observations?
I guess you missed it... It's that Cunningham should get more PT, at least until the QB situation sorts itself out a little more. If/when one guy starts producing more, he should get more PT. That ain't Pass at this point...

Pass had a solid game against GT. Just shy of 300yds, 2 TDs and no picks. But I would like to see Malik get a series or two every game to get those reps. GT defense not as good as the teams we still have remaining.

I gave you stats in other threads you ignored them. But I maintain they aren't all that consequential, even though they point to improved play from Pass.

Vs FSU Pass threw for 300+ and led multiple scoring drives. He connected with 7 different receivers with several plays of 20 yards + down the field. The team moved the chains and had a ton of total offense. The RBs also saw a stat spike with a balanced attack.

Vs G Tech he threw for 299, had 0 turnovers, and led multiple scoring drives. He made throws we haven't seen Malik even try. The corner throw to Atwell was a strike. Another one to Dez later was also nice. The unbiased announcer heaped praise on him the entire evening.

He could easily regress, the odds are he will have problems with future tougher opponents. Nobody said never play Malik again.

I guess you missed it... It's that Cunningham should get more PT, at least until the QB situation sorts itself out a little more. If/when one guy starts producing more, he should get more PT. That ain't Pass at this point...

Look at fanboy share his uninformed OPINION! With no stats!

And you had absolutely NOTHIN for this.

You don't know a damn thing about what's going on in practice or the locker room, or on the field. Maybe Malik has an attitude problem. Maybe he was late for practice a few weeks ago, and late again last week. Maybe he's ran the wrong play multiple times during the games he's played and/or in the practices. Maybe he was insubordinate with a coach. Or maybe he's ran the right play multiple plays incorrectly in games and/or practices. Maybe he is struggling academically. Maybe he has an injury the staff is not reporting. Maybe he is regressing during practice, or not getting better. Maybe the playbook is simply too difficult for the FR Cunningham to grasp and Petrino has to significantly cut the playbook down in the games when Cunningham is the QB. Maybe Pass has gotten better in practice. Maybe Pass is showing leadership skills fanboys don't see behind closed doors, or even on the field. Maybe the playbook is wide open when Pass is in the game and there are more play calling options. Maybe Petrino puts a lot of value into throws like the one Pass made to Atwell for the 1st TD vs G Tech, and Petrino thinks Cunningham cannot make that pass right now (spoiler alert, because it doesn't appear he can). Maybe Petrino has turned the majority of the snaps to Pass because he thinks he can make multiple throws, and multiple reads Cunningham can't yet (spoiler alert, seems obvious). There could be a number of explanations as to why Cunningham has played one snap in the last two weeks. All we have is our fanboy speculation.

The reality is, I don't know. And you don't know either. Because, as you have stated many, many, MANY times on these boards.... fans don't know anything. Don't forget, you're just a fanboy like everybody else.

Here's some meaningless stats for ya...

Combined 2018 scores with Pass at QB: U of L 72, Opponents 166 (58 to 115, if I remove the Bama game)
Combined scores with other QBs: U of L 51, Opponents 30 (51 to 30, without Bama)

QBRs:
Pass 116
(I can remove the Bama game, but you may not want me to...)
Cunningham 117
Travis 113

Completion Percentages

Pass 55%
Cunningham 65%

I can't find minutes played stats if those are kept. But IIRC, Cunningham has played about six quarters this year, or about 25% of available PT. That's close to one-third the minutes of Pass. Now, reflect on the above scoring totals adjusting for minutes played.

And this doesn't account for Cunningham's rushing which is still 100 yards ahead of our top RB (Smith).

Truth be told, individual stats for Pass are behind Cunningham's, as they should be with those scores. But I'm OK simply saying they both deserve PT. Eye tests notwithstanding, at least we know from experience that Cunningham might win a game...
I'm not criticizing Cunningham at all but realistically, his stats have come against Indiana st. and WKU. The monsoon that was the Ind. st. game played away from Pass' strengths and it's fortunate that Cunningham was available for sure. I and others have already said that I think it might be a good thing to give Cunningham PT - particularly in packages / situations that would make the best use of his skill set.

As for who gives UofL the best chance to be successful in the long run - I believe that is Pass but reasonable people can disagree. As you've said before - it only matters who the HC thinks is the better option and at this point - he seems to have settled on Pass. Regardless unless the defense can get stops regularly and the RBs stop putting the ball on the ground - you know, those things that contribute to whether a QB "wins" a game or not - it won't matter which guy is back there.

I'm not criticizing Cunningham at all but realistically, his stats have come against Indiana st. and WKU.

This shouldn't have had to be explained to a stat seeker in the conversation, it was so obvious I just didn't want to be forced to say it. So thanks.

And FYI I wouldn't mind seeing Cunnigham receive a series either - but as I mentioned in a long winded 2 paragraph post - we don't know what's going on in practice/behind the scenes to truly know if there's more variables in play determining why he hasn't really played in a few games.

one of the positives from the Ga Tech game is that the offense is getting better and I think the staff has finally figured out a RB rotation.

We didn’t score an offensive TD against Bama, Indy State, and WKU. We scored TDs in the first half against FSU, but none in the 2nd half. Against Ga Tech we scored in both halves.

It’s a small ray of sunshine, but they are getting better on offense. I’m just not sure if that’ll be good enough against the rest of our schedule.
I was there, they’re were no positives...

I'm not criticizing Cunningham at all but realistically, his stats have come against Indiana st. and WKU. The monsoon that was the Ind. st. game played away from Pass' strengths and it's fortunate that Cunningham was available for sure. I and others have already said that I think it might be a good thing to give Cunningham PT - particularly in packages / situations that would make the best use of his skill set.

As for who gives UofL the best chance to be successful in the long run - I believe that is Pass but reasonable people can disagree. As you've said before - it only matters who the HC thinks is the better option and at this point - he seems to have settled on Pass. Regardless unless the defense can get stops regularly and the RBs stop putting the ball on the ground - you know, those things that contribute to whether a QB "wins" a game or not - it won't matter which guy is back there.

This shouldn't have had to be explained to a stat seeker in the conversation, it was so obvious I just didn't want to be forced to say it. So thanks.

And FYI I wouldn't mind seeing Cunnigham receive a series either - but as I mentioned in a long winded 2 paragraph post - we don't know what's going on in practice/behind the scenes to truly know if there's more variables in play determining why he hasn't really played in a few games.

He came in when needed against GT. I know he definitely came in for 1 designed QB draw and got us the first down. That is what's needed out of him. Pass has clearly gained confidence in his arm. Just the difference between FSU and GT is huge. That pass to TuTu was on the money. He played a great game against Tech. Cunningham did not look good at all against UVA and as you all said, his stats are against 2 teams that we should've beaten blindfolded.

Reactions: BPGhost
I gave you stats in other threads you ignored them. But I maintain they aren't all that consequential, even though they point to improved play from Pass.

Vs FSU Pass threw for 300+ and led multiple scoring drives. He connected with 7 different receivers with several plays of 20 yards + down the field. The team moved the chains and had a ton of total offense. The RBs also saw a stat spike with a balanced attack.

Vs G Tech he threw for 299, had 0 turnovers, and led multiple scoring drives. He made throws we haven't seen Malik even try. The corner throw to Atwell was a strike. Another one to Dez later was also nice. The unbiased announcer heaped praise on him the entire evening.

He could easily regress, the odds are he will have problems with future tougher opponents. Nobody said never play Malik again.
Those are not comparative stats. There's no way to use them to decide which QB to play or to receive PT. They also don't reflect team performance while the QB was in the game, at least on offense.

I'm not hating on Pass, and I don't think you are on Cunningham. With so many problems, so little progress, and hard-to-pinpoint solutions, an obvious approach to me is start tinkering with the most important position on the field...

Those are not comparative stats. There's no way to use them to decide which QB to play or to receive PT. They also don't reflect team performance while the QB was in the game, at least on offense.

You beg for stats, I provide them, you don't like them because they don't support your take. They clearly show substantial improvement from Pass. Cunningham took a step back with his stats when ACC play started.

I told you days ago stats were inconsequential anyway. Stats are as useful here as 3 pieces of TP left when you have diarrhea.

As Ghost tried to explain - Cunningham's stats were vs ISU and WKU, while the stats for Pass were mostly against the ACC and Alabama.

QB didn't matter in the G Tech game - that's obvious. The QB we played, played well.... and we got humiliated. This means the QB position is suddenly way down on the list of problems the team/program has right now.

That's not to say it's cemented. This team is bad, and I hope when Cunningham gets his next chance he's going to show improvement in the areas he showed he was really struggling when he had to be replaced at UVA. He is talented, but very very green.

I just disagree with your first post where you stated Malik deserved either a half or a third of the snaps right now. He doesn't. Not given the baby step progress Pass is making. This could change, it could change as soon as the very next game. But right now it's pretty clear things are moving towards a firmer hold of the job for Pass.

All that said above - the key talking points are really below. What I wrote below is exactly what you say 24/7, yet you don't want to apply that rule to you.

It's hard to fathom how little fans know..."

Last edited:
You beg for stats, I provide them, you don't like them because they don't support your take...
Has nothing to do with "take" because they're inconclusive. It's like saying Cunningham has whiter teeth...so what? Stats are only useful when you pick relevant ones and use them right.
...I told you days ago stats were inconsequential anyway. Stats are as useful here as 3 pieces of TP left when you have diarrhea...
Fine. I like the bottom line anyway when it tells the story. 2-0 in games that Cunningham finished, and 0-4 in the rest...
...As Ghost tried to explain - Cunningham's stats were vs ISU and WKU, while the stats for Pass were mostly against the ACC and Alabama...
I don't recall Ghost's point on that, but no problem... I can summarize the QB stats for just those two games if you guys want. I think you know what they're gonna show...
...QB didn't matter in the G Tech game - that's obvious. The QB we played, played well.... and we got humiliated. This means the QB position is suddenly way down on the list of problems the team/program has right now...
I can't go there. The QB we played was on the short end of a 21-0 score after one quarter. The way the defense was playing, that was an insurmountable deficit. Any chance we had to simply outscore the opponent was gone. And he basically laid another egg in the 2nd half as well...
...That's not to say it's cemented...I just disagree with your first post where you stated Malik deserved either a half or a third of the snaps right now. He doesn't. Not given the baby step progress Pass is making. This could change, it could change as soon as the very next game. But right now it's pretty clear things are moving towards a firmer hold of the job for Pass...
The problem for Pass is his coach doesn't have time for him to simply make "baby steps." I'd like to see Petrino dig himself out of this big hole, but a teaspoon at a time ain't much help. If everyone in the picture settles down, writes this season off to experience, and allows Pass to learn thru experience, I'm good with that. But it's hardly our situation when Board members are openly commenting on "buyouts" and fans are jumping overboard. Petrino and Pass need to show a lot better results soon.
...All that said above - the key talking points are really below. What I wrote below is exactly what you say 24/7, yet you don't want to apply that rule to you.

It's hard to fathom how little fans know...
We've already covered this. You need to go back to that thread and restart it. I'll be glad to respond on point...

I very much liked the wrinkle we added where Cunningham lined up as the tailback and Pass as the QB in the RPO offense. Even NFL teams like the New Orleans Saints (with 3rd string QB Taysom Hill) and Baltimore Ravens (with Lamar) are installing this offensive play series.

At this point, Pass is the best option ... but the running game is very mediocre, and that is mostly due to Pass's limited knowledge of the offense. I say that because we do have capable running backs and a veteran offensive line coached by Mike Summers, which to me means that the problem in the running game is that Pass does not yet know how to read the defense and check to the correct running play. Most likely, Petrino hasn't even given him the option to check to a different running play so as not to overload him.

This is the area where he should be much better next year, after having worked through all of these issues. And one can definitely hope that he will also be much better after the bye week.

Regarding the bigger problem (defense), I look at the Tech game as an aberration. Certainly, the defense played much better in each of the other five games we've played to date. The explanation provided by Petrino makes sense to me: the defense played tentatively as a result of concerns over being cut-blocked. That in my opinion is poor coaching by Van Gorder, as it sounds like his Georgia Tech game preparation had them being overly concerned about cut blocks, so much so that they were thinking about that instead of their assignments.

Reactions: wilkie01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT