ADVERTISEMENT

Player meeting with postel

BPGhost

6000+
Jun 23, 2015
Was told by someone with knowledge of the events, that the three captains (Q, AM & DA) told postel that if Padgett wasn’t named interim - the team was boycotting the season.

Players are typically extremely loyal to the current staff. But I don't think I've ever seen a team's preferred choice be chosen...especially when presented as a threat if not selected. I would like to see Padgett selected as interim, so I hope it wasn't presented as an ultimatum.

I can only imagine how bad those guys on that team are hurting right now.

An ultimatum like that only hurts themselves though. I would imagine they would be offered the opportunity to transfer or something.

It's really easy to lose sight of those guys in this. They are the ones most hurt and impacted by all of this.

Players are typically extremely loyal to the current staff. But I don't think I've ever seen a team's preferred choice be chosen...especially when presented as a threat if not selected. I would like to see Padgett selected as interim, so I hope it wasn't presented as an ultimatum.
Seems like I remember coach O at LSU (football) was hired at the strong urging of the players. Also, a little closer to home when Mumme was fired at UK, the team went to the AD and fought hard for Guy Morris who was O-line coach at the time. I actually do like Padgett's chances and if he is well vetted, seems the logical choice.

Don’t know how you can clean house - including Jurich - and retain anyone from the current staff.

Because theyll have something to play for if Padgett is coaching.
Padgett won be named the permanent, so in the meantime, id listen to the players.

Otherwise the KFC center will be dark and they lose even MORE MONEY.

Padgett is a third generation coach. I like him too. He can handle it and, besides, he would be cheap, lol. If he pulls off a hell of a year, he could become permanent. It's almost time anyway for him. Rick would have been letting him go after next year. I wager he has already had offers, He is also well-liked in Reno and the West.

Because theyll have something to play for if Padgett is coaching.
Padgett won be named the permanent, so in the meantime, id listen to the players.

Otherwise the KFC center will be dark and they lose even MORE MONEY.
Some will play for pride but based upon the timing of this and the depth in which it goes - any player that’s any good is going to be playing only for individual stats / draft position - and who the hell could blame them??

They certainly won’t have any tournaments to look forward to.

Some will play for pride but based upon the timing of this and the depth in which it goes - any player that’s any good is going to be playing only for individual stats / draft position - and who the hell could blame them??

They certainly won’t have any tournaments to look forward to.

They could very well make the tournament this season.

The NCAA hasnt ruled on this latest flub, and the Cards WONT FORFEIT ANOTHER Post season, because after this year theyll get a two yr tourney ban-if theyre lucky.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
They could very well make the tournament this season.

The NCAA hasnt ruled on this latest flub, and the Cards WONT FORFEIT ANOTHER Post season, because after this year theyll get a two yr tourney ban-if theyre lucky.

These guys are going to really play hard for each other. They are loaded and there's no reason why they can't have a great season. We all need to enjoy this season, it could be special and it's going to be seasons of walk-ons after that.

When Knight got fired at Indiana in 2000, the players did something similar: They demanded one of the assistants be named Head Coach: John Trealor or Mike Davis. They hired Davis and that didn't work out so well.

Reactions: westerncat
When Knight got fired at Indiana in 2000, the players did something similar: They demanded one of the assistants be named Head Coach: John Trealor or Mike Davis. They hired Davis and that didn't work out so well.

In this situation, I am fine with Padgett. But let's be realistic. He just went from a very young assistant to being a HC of a blue blood program. it is not likely that he is fully ready for this and all the heat that is coming. My hope is the fans are patient with him and the team we have plays some great exciting basketball this fall/winter. Remember, this is going to be it for a few years.

Davis did fine in the beginning and made the championship game in his second year. Seeing as how we're looking at a team of low end recruits and walk-ons after the NCAA rules on the situation, that kind of early success would be just fine.

Agree that Padgett is the best way to go right now. This is a very similar situation as Ohio State football a few years back. Tressel resigned at the end of May and they promoted Fickell to interim as they need a replacement immediately. Fickell kept the program in-tact for a year and then they brought in Urban Meyer. Fickell was retained by Meyer (good move imo) and then has had the opportunity to become a head coach again.

David Padgett is from Reno, Nevada. He comes from a solid basketball background. His father Pete played for the Nevada Wolfpack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT