ADVERTISEMENT

PITINO - Simply the best

What is happening with this team does not happen unless the best damn basketball coach in the country is coaching it!

Road wins don't just happen this year. The top five teams have a losing record on the road.

We have three "really good" big men on the bench. We have two other big men that get called for fouls every time they exhale. We have a walk on guard that weighs 160 in wet clothes. We have another guard that couldn't stop his grandmother on defense.

Our post season hopes have been crushed.

But....we have a coach that works miracles against all odds that are stacked against us this year.

Give Coach Pitino the credit he deserves. He is the best there is in college basketball!

I for one, hope like hell we can keep him as long as he stays in the game!

I want the investigation to be over with, and I support Coach Pitino. To be successful you have to be driven and have confidence in your abilities to handle success and failure. Where there is large sums of money involved there is going to be greater scrutiny and public attention -often not good, and many people who want to steal your success, or take you down. I'm for trying to build things rather than destroy. That said, I support coach Pitino -until It's proven for me to not. Stay strong coach and take some time off !! Albeit, not to long and with the idea that you have a job here. But be looking for some more graduate players.

Little known trivia fact - Lacrosse is the national sport of Canada. 95% of people will say hockey if you ask them that question.
Do they have "Lacrosse Night in Canada" on CBC sponsored by Labatts?

Gotta love Don Cherry
doncherryhnic20110615-roneyes.jpg

Last season there were 400 transfers in Div 1 basketball. Over ten years, that amounts to between 3,000-4,000 transfers. I'm being serious. Louisville lost 15 transfers in 10 years, according to Ghost, a number I'll have to take his word for.

Sounds pretty average to me.

Yes, drama follows Rick. This guy's career arc is fairly noteworthy - Final Four at Providence; youngest NBA coach rallying the hapless Knicks to a playoff; rebuild at Kentucky following their shame - to Boston where a ball on the lottery wheel shattered his chances - and finally here, surprising absolutely everyone and existing as a permanent chip for UK fans' skinny shoulders every single day he walked our hardwood. There's drama because people ask for drama and it is not always us. That constant gnawing sound is UK fans and boosters searching for ways to savage Rick and Jurich and to enlarge whatever happens into major surgery instead of a scrape and a band aid.

That's life in Louisville for a basketball fan - and especially for a coach whose history is shared between the fan bases..But it won't change with the next guy. We are designed for drama, like it or not. It accompanies being one of the elite players at the sport. If you are a Louisville fan who lusts for less drama, I suggest Lacross.
Well said Senore. We are somewhat unique in that respect. Not many others places in the country that has a rival more focused on our demise than on their success.

Reactions: JohnCard28
He's one of the best in the business. The rebuild at UK was incredibly fast and really unbelievable. Had UK not gotten him back in 1989, it's possible they still wouldn't be an elite program. Frankly, I am shocked he only has 2 titles. I'd love to see him get one more and move up there with Knight and Calhoun.
C'mon man you can't be serious. Pitino did a great job bringing UK back from probation but you went WAY overboard there. The only two coaches to not win a title at UK were drunks. If Pitino hadn't brought UK back another coach wouldve. UK would never have gone 25 years without being elite. UK fans would've run the AD, the school President, and the Governor out of town before that would ever happen

C'mon man you can't be serious. Pitino did a great job bringing UK back from probation but you went WAY overboard there. The only two coaches to not win a title at UK were drunks. If Pitino hadn't brought UK back another coach wouldve. UK would never have gone 25 years without being elite. UK fans would've run the AD, the school President, and the Governor out of town before that would ever happen
Yutfanferlife - Please conduct your pillow fight about whether someone not named Pitino (probably another drunk) would have pulled the yut program out of the abyss created by its umpteenth paying players scandal - over at Raftards.

So those two coaches don't count?

Every coach that Louisville has had over the last 40+ years has won a championship.

Hiring drunks would seem to be a small dilemma for your program. It is ironic as hell that you so blatantly point this sad fact out. Is this your best victim card, lol? Is this supposed to show the innate dominance of your program? It is, isn't it? Man, your post may have the most compressed fail in the history of Lameness.

Dismissing so cavalierly the miracle in time and effort Pitino accomplished at UK may be the largest self-humiliation I have ever read. He basically Babe Ruthed and Cal Ripkened your program. People born long before you decided correctly in placing his name in your arm-pit odoriferous rafters. And yet, here you are, savaging the man for purposes of a childish agenda.

You people need some focking help.

Hiring drunks would seem to be a small dilemma for your program. It is ironic as hell that you so blatantly point this sad fact out. Is this your best victim card, lol? Is this supposed to show the innate dominance of your program? It is, isn't it? Man, your post may have the most compressed fail in the history of Lameness.

Dismissing so cavalierly the miracle in time and effort Pitino accomplished at UK may be the largest self-humiliation I have ever read. He basically Babe Ruthed and Cal Ripkened your program. People born long before you decided correctly in placing his name in your arm-pit odoriferous rafters. And yet, here you are, savaging the man for purposes of a childish agenda.

You people need some focking help.

I'm with Senore on this one. What Pitino did to turn UK around so fast was nothing short of miraculous. The job he did with the 91-92 team should go down as one of the top few coaching jobs of all time. Mash and a bunch of role players got to within a miracle of the final four. Any UK fan who can't see the genius in the job he did that year has his or her head in the sand.

I'm sure SMU's been waiting for that same coach for the past what 40 years. Pitino left and look what happened to the program, Tubbys title was Pitinos team bottom line. Get over it the man left for Boston not U of L if you can't acknowledge what he done for UK then your either not old enough to remember, blind, or butthurt cause he's at Louisville. I may not agree with everything he's done or said since he left but it doesn't diminish at all what he accomplished at UK.

I'm sure SMU's been waiting for that same coach for the past what 40 years. Pitino left and look what happened to the program, Tubbys title was Pitinos team bottom line. Get over it the man left for Boston not U of L if you can't acknowledge what he done for UK then your either not old enough to remember, blind, or butthurt cause he's at Louisville. I may not agree with everything he's done or said since he left but it doesn't diminish at all what he accomplished at UK.
LMAO did you just compare UK to SMU? We are the greatest basketball program of all time. We will continue to be the greatest basketball program of all time. We accept nothing less than coaches that are title contenders and we fire anyone that can't. What Pitino did for UK was great and I conceeded that. UL fans and some UK fans act like he was the only coach in the country that could've brought our program back and that's patently false. Would it have happened as quickly? Probably not but we'll never know. The poster I replied to acted like UK would still be down if not for Pitino. Anyone that thinks UK basketball could possibly stay down for 25 years is out of their mind

Reactions: awf
LMAO did you just compare UK to SMU? We are the greatest basketball program of all time. We will continue to be the greatest basketball program of all time. We accept nothing less than coaches that are title contenders and we fire anyone that can't. What Pitino did for UK was great and I conceeded that. UL fans and some UK fans act like he was the only coach in the country that could've brought our program back and that's patently false. Would it have happened as quickly? Probably not but we'll never know. The poster I replied to acted like UK would still be down if not for Pitino. Anyone that thinks UK basketball could possibly stay down for 25 years is out of their mind

At least 75% of UofK success or claim of being greatest of all time is due to racking up wins in a football conference! Hell even Billy Gallispie was coach of the year in that conference and I believe that UofK team still holds the record for blocked freethrow attempts.

Pretty sure UCLA with their 3 more national titles than the yuts would beg to differ on your dubious greatest ever claim.

No, I don't think UCLA is the best program of all-time. They had the best dynasty--a dynasty that will likely never be matched.

That said, the Bruins have not enjoyed the sustained success of programs such as LPT, North Carolina and Kansas.

UCLA had a losing program in its first 27 seasons with a record of 256-293. While LPT established itself as a basketball powerhouse in the 1930s, UCLA never made the NCAA Tournament before Wooden arrived. By the time UCLA advanced to its first Final Four in 1962, LPT already had four titles.

Interestingly, Rupp and Wooden retired only three years apart. So here's a look at the achievements of each program in the post-Rupp and post-Wooden eras.

UCLA's 1980 season and LPT's 1988 season are not included in these numbers because they were both vacated.

Titles:

LPT 4
UCLA 1

Final Fours:

LPT 11
UCLA 5

Elite 8 appearances:

LPT 21
UCLA 8

NCAA Tournament Victories:

LPT 90
UCLA 51

Conference championships:

LPT 19
UCLA 14

UCLA mustered *1* Final Four between 1977 and 2005 and only won a total of *2* NCAA Tournament games throughout the 1980s (again, these numbers exclude UCLA's vacated 1980 season).

In the modern era, UCLA has not enjoyed the regular season and tournament success as other blueblood programs. Without Wooden, UCLA is nothing more than a middle-of-the-pack program. Conversely, even without Rupp's titles, LPT would still surpass Kansas in national championships.

LPT is not defined by a single coach or one stretch of dominance. Five coaches have won national championships at LPT, and LPT has consistently ranked as one of the top programs in winning percentage each decade dating back to the 1930s.

Reactions: awf and blubo
If you made the tournament in 1939-1954, you were already in the frigging elite 8, lol. One tourney win and you're in the FF.

The hilarious sucking vacuum that is catfanforlife's heart believes any number of guys could do what Rick did. Here's the catch - they didn't, lol. He did. Jesus, dude - That's the point.

Now you want to relativize it, saying so many other men could have accomplished what his 8 year commitment did for UK.

What's appalling is the attitude and the evident need to demean the man. Nothing could possibly be more obvious.

My advice is to stay away. You have no heart. We like heart here.

LMAO did you just compare UK to SMU?
Yes there is this sport called football, they were pretty freakin good until they got caught cheating.

UL fans and some UK fans act like he was the only coach in the country that could've brought our program back and that's patently false. Just because you refuse to accept it doesn't make it false!

The poster I replied to acted like UK would still be down if not for Pitino. Because it prolly would, again it's been 30 years for SMU and they still haven't recovered.

Last edited:
Yes there is this sport called football, they were pretty freakin good until they got caught cheating.

UL fans and some UK fans act like he was the only coach in the country that could've brought our program back and that's patently false. Just because you refuse to accept it doesn't make it false!

The poster I replied to acted like UK would still be down if not for Pitino. Because it prolly would, again it's been 30 years for SMU and they still haven't recovered.
SMU was only good for a short period because they cheated. They weren't a powerhouse program that was caught cheating and never recovered. Not a very good comparison

SMU was only good for a short period because they cheated. They weren't a powerhouse program that was caught cheating and never recovered. Not a very good comparison
From Wikipedia:
The SMU Mustangs have won the 1935 national championship (as determined by the Dickinson System), 10 Southwest Conference titles, and had attended 11 bowl games. They also had numerous All-Americans including a Heisman Trophy winner (Doak Walker in 1949). From 1980 to 1984, SMU enjoyed its most successful era since the late 1940s and early 1950s. They posted a record of 49-9-1 and won three Southwest Conference titles.
Maybe not a powerhouse program but definitely not what you are portraying them to be they were a decent program even before ponygate

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT