ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino Files Lawsuit Against Adidas

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino, who was ousted from his post at Louisville earlier this week, has filed a federal lawsuit against Adidas alleging the company intentionally damaged his reputation.

Pitino was fired with cause upon the FBI's discovery of evidence determined that he helped funnel $100,000 in cash from Adidas to the family of Brian Bowen, a former five-star recruit who committed and signed with the school.

"In today's lawsuit, coach Pitino swears that he had nothing to do with, and no knowledge of, the Adidas conspiracy," Steve Pence, Pitino's attorney, said in a statement via the Courier-Journal. Pence also released results of a polygraph exam earlier this week in which Pitino denied knowing anything of the alleged transaction.

Pitino is seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages in the federal lawsuit. However according to his lawyer, the lawsuit is simply a means for him to clear his name.

"This lawsuit is about more than just money; it is coach Pitino's vehicle for proving that he had nothing to do with Adidas' outrageous, wrongful and illegal conspiracy," the lawsuit says.

"Adidas knew, or recklessly avoided knowing, that coach Pitino's reputation for honesty and integrity would be seriously damaged by the perception — even if unfounded — that he was involved with the illegal and wrongful payment of money to recruits, or on their behalf," the suit alleges.

Adidas cut ties with Pitino on Monday by terminating its personal services contract with him just hours after the school announced he had been fired by the University of Louisville Athletic Association.

Reactions: American Male
When he was at Kentucky, RP never saw a microphone he didn't like.
That hasn't changed either. Even when he spoke into one of them and said he was going to lay low for a while. "I had the right, but not the ability".

Mercy to his wife and kids.
Now that he has been subpoenaed, (most certainly as a witness or it would be an arrest warrant, not a subpoena) he will get all the microphones he wishes.

We may never know in our lifetime. A year to be heard, countersuit.....and likely suits from the assistant coaches involved. This will be page 12 news when settled, if not sealed.

When he was at Kentucky, RP never saw a microphone he didn't like.
That hasn't changed either. Even when he spoke into one of them and said he was going to lay low for a while. "I had the right, but not the ability".

Mercy to his wife and kids.
Now that he has been subpoenaed, (most certainly as a witness or it would be an arrest warrant, not a subpoena) he will get all the microphones he wishes.
CRP has not been subpoenaed, only his phone records.

CRP has not been subpoenaed, only his phone records.
That's right and those records have been turned over. I watched the Bilas interview, and although I'm finding this hard to say, he actually seemed sincere with what he was saying.

I especially found his words about the BOT the most interesting. He basically said (paraphrasing here) the BOT is NOT the University of Louisville. The BOT was put together by the Governor and does not represent what he thinks is UofL.

He is suing Adidas, but you can feel a lawsuit coming towards the BOT too especially after hearing his interview. It's coming. The only variable is time.

Slapd!cks weighing in on Pitino is like the old boyfriend watching the love of his life get her comeuppance.

I'm not sure who's more deserving of pity.

(And I hope Pitino ends up a gazillion-aire when the smoke clears...)

"Elite program," my a$$

Slapd!cks weighing in on Pitino is like the old boyfriend watching the love of his life get her comeuppance.

I'm not sure who's more deserving of pity.

(And I hope Pitino ends up a gazillion-aire when the smoke clears...)

"Elite program," my a$$
I wouldn't stay up all night obsessing about slappies unless one has a slappy girlfriend who needed a noogie. The fact that Pitino got 98% of the Adidas money is gross especially when 300 level seats are $92.00 for the IU game.

At UL's expense?
Assuming U of L budgets just balance and athletic department revenues are down for the foreseeable future, my guess is that a Pitino windfall would be at TAXPAYER expense. And most Kentucky taxpayers are slapd!cks.

With any luck, maybe he can get a couple gazillion. :p

"Elite program," my a$$...

It's a brilliant legal maneuver. Pitino will get paid. Adidas will settle. Otherwise, they will further implicate themselves.

I have to chuckle at the suit alleging that Pitno's reputation for "honestly and integrity" would be damaged by this.

Rick hasn't been honest or had integrity since before he arrived at Kentucky.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
I have to chuckle at the suit alleging that Pitno's reputation for "honestly and integrity" would be damaged by this.

Rick hasn't been honest or had integrity since before he arrived at Kentucky.
I don't have problems with Pitino's personal life. Truth be told, many slapd!cks and posters on this site have no business throwing those stones at anyone.

But as far as the lawsuit, I don't know why he has to go there. All he has to do is present a preponderance of evidence that it cost him a sure $44 million...

I don't have problems with Pitino's personal life. Truth be told, many slapd!cks and posters on this site have no business throwing those stones at anyone.

But as far as the lawsuit, I don't know why he has to go there. All he has to do is present a preponderance of evidence that it cost him a sure $44 million...

I'm not one that normally does - he rescued UK from the abyss after Sutton. What he does on his own time is between him and his family.

I just found it odd to mention those 2 terms as part of a statement regarding the lawsuit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT