ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino Advises Onuaku To

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
test the NBA waters.

The 6-foot-10 center has been told by his Hall of Fame coach to test the NBA waters. With new rules, Onuaku can put his name into the draft, go through the combine and then decide if he will turn pro or return to school.

"With Nanu and the new rules, what I would suggest to him - and I already have - is to put your name in and go to Chicago," Pitino said, referring to the combine. "I want him to do it. I want him to play basketball, go to the teams. I want Nanu to understand that this is not the only place you work hard. . . . it's a great experience for him to learn how to work at that level."

Onuaku is having a breakout season for the Cardinals. He's averaging 9.8 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.9 blocked shots a game.

This new rule is about the only thing lately the NCAA has changed that I actually like. It allows these kids to get a much better feel for where they may or may not be drafted and gives them the chance to stay in college if they want to.

There is no reason to not allow these kids to test the NBA waters since we all know that's what they all want. Who wouldn't want to live that life?

Reactions: awf and KerryRhodes
The way they're calling fouls on him he may as well look elsewhere.

His rep for fouls is going to keep him on the bench here.

Reactions: awf and zipp
He's not going pro. This is a good example of a player who has a lot of upside but yet has a lot to work on to get to the NBA. Players need to hear from someone else besides their coach and especially friends and families. Whether the player chooses to listen or not is on them.

Reactions: UKKAZ#1
Unless he makes dramatic improvement in the 'remaining' 7 games, he'll be back next year.
He has d league written all over him. Only one draft board has him projected to get
drafted, and its the last 4 picks.

Get his evaluation, work hard all summer. Come back, kick a## and go 1st round next season.

If he can develop that face up jumper from 15,he'll move himself up.He's a man inside,no doubt.

Reactions: awf
He's not going pro. This is a good example of a player who has a lot of upside but yet has a lot to work on to get to the NBA. Players need to hear from someone else besides their coach and especially friends and families. Whether the player chooses to listen or not is on them.
For the NBA the draft is all about potential. IMO the longer you stay in school the more opportunity they have to pick your game apart

For the NBA the draft is all about potential. IMO the longer you stay in school the more opportunity they have to pick your game apart
This is so true. It is strange, but true. Skal is in this situation. He will likely go mid-first round this year based purely on potential because he can shoot (and do nothing else). Scouts will simply say that he is young and will learn how to play and will get stronger over time. If he stays and continues to play the same (which is likely, to a large extent), then his "potential" quotient will plummet along with his draft stock.

This is so true. It is strange, but true. Skal is in this situation. He will likely go mid-first round this year based purely on potential because he can shoot (and do nothing else). Scouts will simply say that he is young and will learn how to play and will get stronger over time. If he stays and continues to play the same (which is likely, to a large extent), then his "potential" quotient will plummet along with his draft stock.
Why do you UK guys talk shit about us on your board and then come here trying to conversate with us like everything is suppose to be cool???

I wish mods ban posters like this who has done his fair share of UL bashing on rupp rafters smh.

i am sorry to say i don't think nanu is nba level. and i also don't see as much potential to get that much better as perhaps some others think either.

so my point would be i guess it's ok for him to test the waters and go if he can, i don't think his stock will rise any further going forward.

The way they're calling fouls on him he may as well look elsewhere.

His rep for fouls is going to keep him on the bench here.
Agree. And a quick question or two from a guy who knows very little about NBA play...

Will Onuaku be called for moving picks in the NBA like he is here? Does the NBA deploy pick-and-roll much? The answers to those questions would guide me on a decision if I was him. A YES-YES set of answers means I would return...

Agree. And a quick question or two from a guy who knows very little about NBA play...

Will Onuaku be called for moving picks in the NBA like he is here? Does the NBA deploy pick-and-roll much? The answers to those questions would guide me on a decision if I was him. A YES-YES set of answers means I would return...
The pick and roll is the most popular play in the NBA

If any NBA team thinks they can mold him into a star in two or three years they will take a flyer on him in the late first round. Admittingly I don't know his draft projections but I like his size and length and those are things that NBA teams love. All it takes is one good workout.

The pick and roll is the most popular play in the NBA
If the way he's executing it now is a foul in the NBA, he has little chance of making a successful jump to the pros today. That play for him is a train wreck...

Unless he makes dramatic improvement in the 'remaining' 7 games, he'll be back next year.
He has d league written all over him. Only one draft board has him projected to get
drafted, and its the last 4 picks.

Get his evaluation, work hard all summer. Come back, kick a## and go 1st round next season.

From what RP said I'd gather that's what he expects.. Wants him to test the waters to show tough the NBA is then come back with a chip on his shoulders & put in work so he'll not only play better next year but maybe work his way into a 1st round pick

With the new rule I think all the players should test the waters after the season. UL could see multiple post season bands by the NCAA after this wild investigation is over with.

If the way he's executing it now is a foul in the NBA, he has little chance of making a successful jump to the pros today. That play for him is a train wreck...
True, but in his defense, sometimes the reason he gets called for the moving pick is the ball handlers fault.

Like others have mentioned, with the new rules in place there is no reason for Nanu not to test the waters. He can gain valuable feedback from NBA scouts/camps/etc. and know either what he has to work on or that some team is willing to take a chance on him like the Celtics and Rozier. Its a win-win situation for him at this point. If he hears negative news then he'll most likely be back for his junior year barring anymore severe sanctions from the NCAA.

What about Donovan Mitchell? I think he should also try out for the NBA. He reminds me a lot of Victor Oladipo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT