ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino Advises Onuaku To

Wildcat,

Is it now just wishful thinking? Maybe everyone should try out so you hope that they won't play against the kitties next year?

testing the waters doesnt mean leaving. like the big guy , I think he's good enough to see where he's at with the NBA.

On the very first offensive set at ND, Nanu clearly moved sideways while setting a pick at the top of the circle. There was very little contact, but sufficient to call a foul ........the official let it go. I could not believe my eyes as it was the very first half court play for the Cards and there Nanu was committing an obvious foul.

Great upside talent, but way too little fundamentals to play NBA right now.

Wildcat I understand the new rule but it doesn't mean everybody on your team can just go "tryout" for a NBA team. There has to be mutual interest so somebody's not wasting their time. Players need to listen to their coach and if their coach feels it would be in the best interest of the player, then a coach can make some contacts.

Reactions: shadow force
test the NBA waters.

The 6-foot-10 center has been told by his Hall of Fame coach to test the NBA waters. With new rules, Onuaku can put his name into the draft, go through the combine and then decide if he will turn pro or return to school.

"With Nanu and the new rules, what I would suggest to him - and I already have - is to put your name in and go to Chicago," Pitino said, referring to the combine. "I want him to do it. I want him to play basketball, go to the teams. I want Nanu to understand that this is not the only place you work hard. . . . it's a great experience for him to learn how to work at that level."

Onuaku is having a breakout season for the Cardinals. He's averaging 9.8 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.9 blocked shots a game.
I think that CRP is correct in his advice. With the new rules it does not hurt him in anyway.

For the NBA the draft is all about potential. IMO the longer you stay in school the more opportunity they have to pick your game apart

Sadly this is True. As of now 8 of the 14 lottery picks are Freshman, 2 international players.

Since 2000 only 2 players have been drafted #1 who weren't a Freshman or international player. And Blake Griffin could have easily went pro and been a lottery pick his first year. Going back the last 5 drafts 24 of the 50 top 10 picks have been Freshman or international players.

Onuaku is a 1st round talent, but his trouble now is staying out of foul trouble and staying on the floor. Once he can put up consistant numbers, which he will if he can stay on the floor, he will be a 1st rounder.

It's a truism that "making it in the NBA" involves staying around long enough - and playing well enough - to earn that second contract.

Nanu poses an interesting dilemma. Inasmuch as he is dominating college competition as a 19 year old, one could see a pro team taking a swipe at him for future purposes. He has a titanic long career stretching out in front of him and he could perhaps develop quicker playing a combination of D league and having all day to learn how to get better - every day.

But this is complicated by the fact that he has already won a position on the Academic All Region team, a necessary prelude to being an Academic All American. Wayne Blackshear, Peyton Siva and Steve Van Treese have all worn AAA honors @ Louisville and it would certainly bode impressively well to come out of college with a degree or a near-degree. He seems to enjoy college, as well.

Most of us believe he could be a remarkable piece in a great wonderful puzzle en route to Championship type play. I would imagine that motivate him as well. This is one of those cases where Pitino really does walk the walk. While he has praised Nanu's God given intelligence since the day he walked onto the court at Louisville, advocating as he always does that college is supposed to be :the best years of your life", he can, at the same time, hardly be called "restrictive" in offering up this possibility for his player. He is doing everything he can to advance Nanu's arc of life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT