ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele Top 40 revealed. Cards #33 UK #35.

I like it a big step forward but if his rankings are true then we have a lot of competition in the ACC.

Screw UK.

Other UofL opponents:
#24 Wake Forest
#17 UCF
#13 NC State
#11 Pitt
#4 Clemson

Cards have work to do.

Yeah, the problem we have is that our schedule is one of the toughest in the country this year. Time to step up and win close games.

I love this schedule.

Kentucky & Clemson are our 2 toughest games from a talent perspective. And we had Clemson beat last year and Kentucky isn’t exactly the KC Chiefs.

UCF on the road, it’s not like going to LSU at night lol. James Madison and USF are easy.

Pitt at home? Without Pickett and their star wideout? NC at home on Senior Day when we had them beat last year.

BC, Wake, FSU, UVA and Cuse? Not a big worry for me as we were better than them all last year.

I just don’t see a lot of games that scare me. Now of course we’ll lose 4-6 games or so depending on luck, but last year we had a chance to win 10 of our 12 games and the 2 losses were 2 SEC teams that finished top 15.

We return so much and are healthier.

I love this schedule.

Kentucky & Clemson are our 2 toughest games from a talent perspective. And we had Clemson beat last year and Kentucky isn’t exactly the KC Chiefs.

UCF on the road, it’s not like going to LSU at night lol. James Madison and USF are easy.

Pitt at home? Without Pickett and their star wideout? NC at home on Senior Day when we had them beat last year.

BC, Wake, FSU, UVA and Cuse? Not a big worry for me as we were better than them all last year.

I just don’t see a lot of games that scare me. Now of course we’ll lose 4-6 games or so depending on luck, but last year we had a chance to win 10 of our 12 games and the 2 losses were 2 SEC teams that finished top 15.

We return so much and are healthier.
UCF and JMU are NOT easy.

Reactions: CardNation
Screw UK.

Other UofL opponents:
#24 Wake Forest
#17 UCF
#13 NC State
#11 Pitt
#4 Clemson

Cards have work to do.
While I agree, always screw UK but when your rival beats you 56-10, 45-13 and 52-21 in the last 3 meetings and return a likely 1st round NFL Quarterback from last year’s beat down, it qualifies as a surprise. Granted, it’s just a national ranking and not a prediction of who is better.

I think more than anything it’s that Phil Steele is a fan of Scott Satterfield and having a dynamic Senior QB in Malik.

It was USF not UCF that he said was easy. James Madison is a lower level division team which usually is easy but they are better than many top division teams.
Yeah JMU won’t be a pushover. They nearly upset West Virginia in Morgantown recently and have been in the FCS Championship semi final game or Championship game the last 3 years.

Yeah JMU won’t be a pushover. They nearly upset West Virginia in Morgantown recently and have been in the FCS Championship semi final game or Championship game the last 3 years.
Idc. If we’re a legit team in power 5 football, we should handle JMU. No questions asked.

Reactions: Mayoman
While I agree, always screw UK but when your rival beats you 56-10, 45-13 and 52-21 in the last 3 meetings and return a likely 1st round NFL Quarterback from last year’s beat down, it qualifies as a surprise. Granted, it’s just a national ranking and not a prediction of who is better.

I think more than anything it’s that Phil Steele is a fan of Scott Satterfield and having a dynamic Senior QB in Malik.
I meant screw UK because we have bigger fish to fry against better competition. But, yes, screw UK.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Idc. If we’re a legit team in power 5 football, we should handle JMU. No questions asked.
You said easy. I don’t think it will be but I’m hoping we are a “legit” power 5 team too even though that term has a very wide meaning.

Its also not the easiest thing to get a bunch of young guys pumped to play an FCS team when you play in a power 5 conference with a tough schedule. Yes I know that it’s the coaches job to get them ready etc etc…

While I agree, always screw UK but when your rival beats you 56-10, 45-13 and 52-21 in the last 3 meetings and return a likely 1st round NFL Quarterback from last year’s beat down
I doubt Levis will repeat his success from a season ago with all that they‘ve lost on the offensive line and skilled positions

Last edited:
I doubt Levis will repeat his success from a season ago with all that they‘ve lost on the offensive line and skilled positions
He may still.

After all, the majority of his “monster” stats came against much-less-than-monster teams.

They have their patsies again this year. Hopefully we won’t fall into that category this time. ;)

It was USF not UCF that he said was easy. James Madison is a lower level division team which usually is easy but they are better than many top division teams.
JMU is transitioning to FBS and they will be game. UCF at night in The Bounce House will be fun! Should be an entertaining game!

Last edited:
There are five (5) ACC teams that Steele has ranked well above us, and each have reasons to warrant their higher ranking. With that said, UL been competitive with each one, including Clemson. Steele may indeed like CSS, but I believe his opinion of the Cards is based more on the number and quality of transfers that are on campus.

We have an offense that should be sufficient to score enough points to win, but our success will depend on our defense getting off the field …… something we simply could not do last year.

There are five (5) ACC teams that Steele has ranked well above us, and each have reasons to warrant their higher ranking. With that said, UL been competitive with each one, including Clemson. Steele may indeed like CSS, but I believe his opinion of the Cards is based more on the number and quality of transfers that are on campus.

We have an offense that should be sufficient to score enough points to win, but our success will depend on our defense getting off the field …… something we simply could not do last year.
Agreed. I mean I'm not breaking new ground here or opening people's minds to something insane here but - our defense sucked. Louisville will be as successful as the defense allows them to be. Now - I think hiring Wesley McGriff is going to have a pretty positive impact on our defense. He's coached at Florida, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miami, Vanderbilt, NFL - he's a military man. Army Vet.....He's older - 52. I think (assume) he's going to bring a no-nonsense, no bullshit attitude to the defense that we sorely lacked under Brown. Plus I think having everyone healthy, getting Lole was massive as an anchor as well as getting everyone another year to get bigger and better.

Our offense is going to be great. We finished 21st in total offense last year and I think we'll top that this year. Malik will be better, the RBs will be better and we will have multiple ground game options to keep a fresh RB in there and they all can give us a little something different. I think we'll have 3 RBs finish the season with over 500 yards with Evans leading the way.

We finished 77th in team defense last year. 27 points per game, over 150 rushing yards per game and 245 passing yards per game. 403 total yards per game. Does anyone think these numbers won't improve? With Monty and Clark healthy? With Lole, Griffith and Sonogo there now? If our defense just cuts 3-4 points and 50 total yards off last year they'll be significantly better.

The offense will put up points. We HAVE to keep the foot on the pedal in the second halves of games and not depend on the defense....doing this combined with an improved defense will result in a much better season that last year.

Well said EKY Card:
It was painful watching the TOP favoring our opponents as our defense was on the field for one series after another. The lack of quality depth on the defensive side made the late 2nd and 4th quarters brutal. Hoping McGriff can develop some much needed depth and defensive packages that keep our opponent’s offensives off the field.

Although I agree the defense wasn't where we need it, there were at least three losses that I put on the offensive play calling with a lead. Virginia being the worst.

Satterfield has a tendency to go conservative in the 2nd half with a lead of two scores or more. It cost the Cards at least three games in my opinion. It almost cost them the FSU game.

Most pundits if they look close enough could see the Cards could have very easily been 8 and 4 or even 9 and 3. With so many key players back on both sides of the ball and with some very good newcomers, someone like Steele foresees the Cards winning those games this season.

Yeah and I have a free place to stay on the beach at St. Pete. But not sure if I'll be there physically or not. If not I'll definitely be watching on TV, God willing (i'm an old guy :) ).

Reactions: SoulSr
And by the way Gvilleknight, there are a ton of great restaurants in Louisville as well.

GO CARDS!!!
Yep, I have sampled quite a few there, but usually involving corporate functions. Not quite as enjoyable as striking out on your own or with buddies at an away game weekend. More likely than not, we just end up at a place known for great burgers and 40 varieties on tap! My burg here in Tennessee has plenty of those comfort stations as well.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
It is year 4. If the Cards don't go 8-4 this year, then it will never happen. I'll give him 7-5. 6-6 or worse he needs to go regardless of the verbal status of the 2023 recruiting class.

It is year 4. If the Cards don't go 8-4 this year, then it will never happen. I'll give him 7-5. 6-6 or worse he needs to go regardless of the verbal status of the 2023 recruiting class.
Typically that is the case. And normally I put my hopes on that kind of "re-build schedule". But, among other things, the always important but difficult job of "re-building recruiting" has been affected by this COVID thing over the past 2-3 years.

FWIW (nothing), I am cautiously optimistic about this year despite the fact the schedule has 5 Steele pre-season top 25 teams (#4 Clemson, #11 Pitt, #13 NC St, #17 UCF and #24 Wake)...ALL Away games.

EDITS: Added "C"to "F" (makes a difference!).

You're right Steelers! PITT and NC St are H, not AWAY. I don't know how I messed that up! :oops:

Peace

Last edited:
Typically that is the case. And normally I put my hopes on that kind of "re-build schedule". But, among other things, the always important but difficult job of "re-building recruiting" has been affected by this COVID thing over the past 2-3 years.

FWIW (nothing), I am cautiously optimistic about this year despite the fact the schedule has 5 Steele pre-season top 25 teams (#4 Clemson, #11 Pitt, #13 NC St, #17 UF and #24 Wake)...ALL Away games.

Peace
Actually, I believe these are all HOME games, except Clemson and UCF.

FWIW (nothing), I am cautiously optimistic about this year despite the fact the schedule has 5 Steele pre-season top 25 teams (#4 Clemson, #11 Pitt, #13 NC St, #17 UF and #24 Wake)...ALL Away games.

Peace

I hear you. Just my own opinions which aren't worth much: I'm selling on Pitt (they suck, they won a shit league last year), NCST is eternally mediocre and so is WF (whose claim to fame is losing to Louisville 16 years ago). Clemson and UCF are legit.

I hinge the season on two (2) conditions:

1. The health of Malik; if he can remain healthy, this offense has a chance to outscore every opponent on our schedule. Without Malik, we would become.a single dimensional offense, forced to run the football and that will put way too much pressure on our defense.

2. Our defense must be able to stop the opponents running game, and our DBs must eliminate the breakdowns that we witnessed all season. UVA’s last offensive series that resulted in a winning TD served as evidence as to just how porous our coverage was.

I suspect CSS and the staff will spend a lot of the preseason reviewing the UK, UVA and the Air Force losses last year, as what must be the focus on improving defensively in order to turn those losses into wins.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
I hinge the season on two (2) conditions:

1. The health of Malik; if he can remain healthy, this offense has a chance to outscore every opponent on our schedule. Without Malik, we would become.a single dimensional offense, forced to run the football and that will put way too much pressure on our defense.

2. Our defense must be able to stop the opponents running game, and our DBs must eliminate the breakdowns that we witnessed all season. UVA’s last offensive series that resulted in a winning TD served as evidence as to just how porous our coverage was.

I suspect CSS and the staff will spend a lot of the preseason reviewing the UK, UVA and the Air Force losses last year, as what must be the focus on improving defensively in order to turn those losses into wins.
And we have the talent and skill set players to be able to avenge the UK and UVA losses from last year. However, we cannot afford to suffer a plethora of injuries, but that's the case with the majority of college football teams, especially those that are on our schedule. I'm looking forward to the season and I think for good reason.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: Mayoman
GOCDS: I remain optimistic too. This season performance could have a huge impact on the future of UL football; as there is a strong possibility that it could secure our existing 2022-23 commitments, and be the springboard for attracting the level of talent that we have enjoyed in the past.

Reactions: gocds
He may still.

After all, the majority of his “monster” stats came against much-less-than-monster teams.

They have their patsies again this year. Hopefully we won’t fall into that category this time. ;)
Will Levi’s best game was against Georgia. They lost but scored more points than anyone on that defense.

Will Levi’s best game was against Georgia. They lost but scored more points than anyone on that defense.
You mean the game that uk put up a whole 13pts? When he threw for 192yrds on 32 comp =6yrds per comp, 3sacks, and 12yrds rushing ? That’s hardly a stat line that qualifies as a “best game“😂🤣😂.
You on the wrong site homie!

You mean the game that uk put up a whole 13pts? When he threw for 192yrds on 32 comp =6yrds per comp, 3sacks, and 12yrds rushing ? That’s hardly a stat line that qualifies as a “best game“😂🤣😂.
You on the wrong site homie!
“Best game” IS relative. 😜

Reactions: bigloucards
As usual at this time of the year, everybody has an opinion about their team but no real actual facts. The optimism will ebb and flow over the course of the season

Could you get someone on your board to link the comments where Malik Cunningham supposedly ”Shoots off his Uavel mouth” regarding UK? I listened to all of the ACC media day interviews and never heard these comments. I highly suspect you guys fell, once again, for Grover Sales (these days posting as CATONTINROOF) making false claims without proof to get gullible BBN posters riled up. Seriously…ask Grover in the “Cunningham Shoots off his Uavel Mouth”on The Lair to post a link. You do know who Grover Sales is, right?
https://www.newspapers.com/image/?c...9.TX51ICXfELGjLvYavQNspfGD9wM4lRO7Fku-effn80A

Last edited:
Reactions: earsky and gocds
Could you get someone on your board to link the comments where Malik Cunningham supposedly ”Shoots off his Uavel mouth” regarding UK? I listened to all of the ACC media day interviews and never heard these comments. I highly suspect you guys fell, once again, for Grover Sales (these days posting as CATONTINROOF) making false claims without proof to get gullible BBN posters riled up. Seriously…ask Grover in the “Cunningham Shoots off his Uavel Mouth”on The Lair to post a link.
It's about time for Grover to impersonate a policeman again.

Reactions: gocds
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT