ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino's Negative Legacy

Local media consists of guys like Nick Coffey. In fact, he typifies local media in this city. Weak and I’ll-informed.

• I actually agree with Zipp on the local media and fans “ dancing on Petrino’s grave.” To put it mildly, the local media sucks. Where were these harsh opinion pieces while Petrino was still in town and employed? That’s right, there weren’t any. The local media is the most mosquito-dicked bunch I’ve ever seen.
  • As for the fans trashing Petrino, I get it, but try to do so with some modicum of appreciation for what that man did here. Without bias, he’s the most successful coach in program history with 3-4 of the best seasons we’ve ever had. In equivalent terms, he wasn’t much worse this year than Denny Crum’s final basketball season. Show a little respect even if the new hire and change was well-warranted
CBP just wasn’t a likeable guy. That always makes it worse. Probably not fair, but people naturally cut someone they like a little slack.

The guy had us one yard from an ACC Atlantic Division title and beating the team that won the national championship that year. On their home field. In 2016, he took us to heights that we’d only approached once before (in 2006).

All of that is the reason why I absolutely hate the take that Petrino 2.0 sucked. This last year sucked. He did give up, as did the team, after the soul crushing loss to FSU. The other 4 years of V2 definitely did NOT suck.

But if you want Vince NQ to look bad, the best way for that to happen is for his coaching hires to fail. For them to fail, UofL must lose, or be in some other way embarrassed. Therefore, you must cheer against UofL, in order for the guy you dislike (apparently for no other reason than he’s not “Tom”) to look bad. The best message board for those that wish for UofL to lose or be embarrassed is the UK board. Should you not be there, with like-minded people?
BTW, coaches, like everybody else, care about other things besides money. But, like everyone else, with other things being equal, money is a powerful motivator. Nothing wrong with that.
Invitation to meet him at the next women’s basketball game - or other non-revenue sport - inbound in 3, 2, 1...

But if you want Vince NQ to look bad, the best way for that to happen is for his coaching hires to fail. For them to fail, UofL must lose, or be in some other way embarrassed. Therefore, you must cheer against UofL, in order for the guy you dislike (apparently for no other reason than he’s not “Tom”) to look bad. The best message board for those that wish for UofL to lose or be embarrassed is the UK board. Should you not be there, with like-minded people?
BTW, coaches, like everybody else, care about other things besides money. But, like everyone else, with other things being equal, money is a powerful motivator. Nothing wrong with that.
They care about money at the end of the day it drives all of us. I agree at some point though money stops being the driving factor. With what these coaches make unless they are stupid money is no concern.

The question becomes at what point do coaches lose the drive. You see it all the time coaches stop doing things they don't like, they become complacent, and slowly lose control. That is were money becomes negative motivation instead of a driving force. It appears this happened with both Petrino and Pitino.

Reactions: American Male
I don't care who the coach is they better have strong assistants. They better be able to develop those assistants. Ideally, they need to keep their key assistants in place for years 5 to 6 years. Pitino was terrific at identifying terrific assistants then developing them. What cost him in the end was the decision to find recruiters instead of finding great assistants coaches.

Petrino first go around he had really good assistants. The critical mistake Jurich made in bringing Petrino back was he didn't look beyond Petrino. He failed to grasp how toxic Petrino had become in the coaching world. The original staff that was brought in was terrific, but none of those key guys stayed. He had no one is his coaching tree.

Hard to feel too bad for a guy that walked away with 14 million. Give me 14 mill you can say anything you want about me true or otherwise.

Reactions: American Male
Do you want the US to fail economically or militarily if you don't like Donald Trump? Do you want misfortune to come to other people in government and society? Do others question your allegiance and patriotism?

I need to understand those differences...

Invitation to meet him at the next women’s basketball game - or other non-revenue sport - inbound in 3, 2, 1...
No question, attending games has nothing to do with being a fan. :rolleyes:

I don't recall inviting you to meet me. I recall you coming up to me and introducing yourself like I really needed to know who you are. Maybe I misled you...

Last edited:
Hard to feel too bad for a guy that walked away with 14 million. Give me 14 mill you can say anything you want about me true or otherwise.
No one's feeling sorry for him. This is about mouth breathers who can't let him go quietly...

Reactions: STLNBSE
Local media consists of guys like Nick Coffey. In fact, he typifies local media in this city. Weak and I’ll-informed.
The local media is superficial and self absorbed. They dislike people who disrespect them and love people who recognize them. It biases how they think and report "news". I actually enjoy it when people like Petrino hold them in disdain...

Last edited:
Reactions: STLNBSE
The guy had us one yard from an ACC Atlantic Division title and beating the team that won the national championship that year. On their home field. In 2016, he took us to heights that we’d only approached once before (in 2006).

All of that is the reason why I absolutely hate the take that Petrino 2.0 sucked. This last year sucked. He did give up, as did the team, after the soul crushing loss to FSU. The other 4 years of V2 definitely did NOT suck.

All you say is mostly correct but the fact that he “quit” after the soul crushing loss to FSU is on him, period. That loss was on him and spelled his doom . . . and ours. And we also know that he did, in fact, suck with the local coaches and high schools. His arrogance was beyond comprehension.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

No question, attending games has nothing to do with being a fan. :rolleyes:

I don't recall inviting you to meet me. I recall you coming up to me and introducing yourself like I really needed to know who you are. Maybe I misled you...
Could be that you attend events like that because you’re bored because you’ve nothing better to do - might also explain the 40K posts - or because they’re free, or nearly so.

You absolutely didn’t need to know who I am and news flash - you still don’t. In the same sense, no one here needs, and in many cases wants, your opinions. If only they were like me saying hello - a one time thing.

Reactions: bassman4500
Do you want the US to fail economically or militarily if you don't like Donald Trump? Do you want misfortune to come to other people in government and society? Do others question your allegiance and patriotism?

I need to understand those differences...
Flawed analogy. If you disagree with the president, you continue to agitate for policies more aligned with your own, which includes persuading the president to change his views. You also can petition congress, and you have periodic elections in which you can participate in an effort to change policy. It isn’t necessary to wish for the president to look bad and hope for his failure in order that he be eventually replaced with someone more to your liking. A better analogy might be the national debt. In this scenario, you would be the one wishing for the debt to explode, until the point where the country suffers a financial calamity, bringing down the government and society with it. Only then would the country be re-ordered to your liking, because the “clowns” can never be trusted to do it right. I guess this would be patriotism of a sort. Not the sort I would find admirable.

Flawed analogy. If you disagree with the president, you continue to agitate for policies more aligned with your own, which includes persuading the president to change his views. You also can petition congress, and you have periodic elections in which you can participate in an effort to change policy. It isn’t necessary to wish for the president to look bad and hope for his failure in order that he be eventually replaced with someone more to your liking. A better analogy might be the national debt. In this scenario, you would be the one wishing for the debt to explode, until the point where the country suffers a financial calamity, bringing down the government and society with it. Only then would the country be re-ordered to your liking, because the “clowns” can never be trusted to do it right. I guess this would be patriotism of a sort. Not the sort I would find admirable.
Your way to respond or what you think is "necessary" is your business. I was asked--again--how I can be against "Vince" and a fan of U of L, and I offered a perfectly good and familiar analogy. If you don't like it, again, that's your business.

There's also an element of tough love to this situation. How can you love a stubborn child while hoping he/she learns life's lessons? Those lessons are painful. Maybe U of L needs to experience a little more pain...

Your way to respond or what you think is "necessary" is your business. I was asked--again--how I can be against "Vince" and a fan of U of L, and I offered a perfectly good and familiar analogy. If you don't like it, again, that's your business.

There's also an element of tough love to this situation. How can you love a stubborn child while hoping he/she learns life's lessons? Those lessons are painful. Maybe U of L needs to experience a little more pain...

More pain? I don’t know if that’s possible. I’m a Jurich guy, but eventually you got to move on. Tyra is doing a good job. That’s not hard to admit.

More pain? I don’t know if that’s possible. I’m a Jurich guy, but eventually you got to move on. Tyra is doing a good job. That’s not hard to admit.
I don't think U of L athletics is experiencing any pain, maybe a little anxiety.

"Vince" overspent his revenues last year by $17 million. That's $17 million of pain he deferred by draining bank accounts. When he tells people "we're outta money", THAT will lead to pain...

Could be that you attend events like that because you’re bored because you’ve nothing better to do - might also explain the 40K posts - or because they’re free, or nearly so.

You absolutely didn’t need to know who I am and news flash - you still don’t. In the same sense, no one here needs, and in many cases wants, your opinions. If only they were like me saying hello - a one time thing.
Speaking of news flashes, you're getting them anyway. I thought you weren't clicking on my posts(?) Try the 'ignore' feature...

The problem in all of this nonsense, Zipp, is illustrated by your own analogy. If someone doesn't like a particular President, in your example, you seem to suggest that it is still only prudent to hope for a good economy, good military responses, etc under that President because the success of the country is the most important thing. Yet you openly revel in Tyra's one "failure" so far (not landing Brohm, which he rectified by landing Satterfield), and you openly blame only him for the current financial problems faced by the athletic department (when he inherited a number of those problems), and you seem to push for some sort of return of the previous AD, all of which suggests your motivation is simply to boast about the prior regime and not move forward. I guess only time will tell, but I think Tyra has done a good job under extraordinarily difficult circumstances.

Last edited:
The problem in all of this nonsense, Zipp, is illustrated by your own analogy. If someone doesn't like a particular President, in your example, you seem to suggest that it is still only prudent to hope for a good economy, good military responses, etc under that President because the success of the country is the most important thing. Yet you openly revel in Tyra's one "failure" so far (not landing Brohm, which he rectified by landing Satterfield), and you openly blame only him for the current financial problems faced by the athletic department (when he inherited a number of those problems), and you seem to push for some sort of return of the previous AD, all of which suggests your motivation is simply to boast about the prior regime and not move forward. I guess only time will tell, but I think Tyra has done a good job under extraordinarily difficult circumstances.
I appreciate your tracking of what I want and don't want to see, but your understanding in just about each instance is somewhat off...

I don't believe "Vince" has had just one misstep, nor do I think the biggest one was not landing Brohm. Jeff was certainly a setback from the standpoint of how "Vince" mismanaged his recruitment and communications. But I'm not sure that Satterfield isn't a better coach. Yes, fan support would have been greatest with Brohm, but in the end, coaching is what matters most.

I'm not going into all of my issues with the new AD another time. Just pointing out that his greatest shortcoming continues to be his inability to attract money, either thru fans or donors. That is far and away his biggest "failure" thus far. Sure, he can recover, but my belief is he doesn't even recognize that as a shortcoming. His words certainly don't show any sense of urgency. And I continue to remind people that "Vince" didn't take the job with a gun to his head. If he inherited problems as you say, that also doesn't matter in the end. They're still his problems to fix. He doesn't get a pass as AD because he inherited them which I don't fully agree with anyway.

As far as a "return of the previous AD", I'm guessing that's just a misunderstanding because I never said that. U of L could ask me to recruit Jurich back, and he still wouldn't take the job. What U of L should do is recruit Jurich for his SUPPORT, not employment. And that's not just because it's the right thing to do; it's because Jurich is linked to money in this community and will be for awhile. If there's a Jurich to consider re-hiring, it's MARK Jurich. I've outlined before my idea for how this could play out. Again, it's about money that "Vince" ain't getting otherwise.

My motivation is for U of L athletics to continue to prosper. I'd like for money to continue rolling in. I'd even like to find out that Jurich wasn't so special like most of us think/thought, that a guy like "Vince" can do the job as well. But I'm not simply giving him my money to make that happen, anymore than I give money to a financial planner who mismanages it. People earn what they get, and "Vince" has to earn his. At the moment, he's evidently not...

Reactions: swurv99
Speaking of news flashes, you're getting them anyway. I thought you weren't clicking on my posts(?) Try the 'ignore' feature...
The vast majority of your posts I skip - you chose to try and call me out in this particular one and so I responded to correct your misconception on that particular topic.

If there's a Jurich to consider re-hiring, it's MARK Jurich.
I must have missed this post. I’m not sure why Mark would come back, or if he’s really any different from Nick Petrino WRT experience and level of competence. What can he do without daddy? I would definitely like to see TJ honored publicly, and maybe leveraged as a senior advisor or consultant, perhaps through the Jurich Group (I wonder if they really have any clients). That part can be done quietly so as not to further embarrass the university or Vince NQ.

I appreciate your tracking of what I want and don't want to see, but your understanding in just about each instance is somewhat off...

I don't believe "Vince" has had just one misstep, nor do I think the biggest one was not landing Brohm. Jeff was certainly a setback from the standpoint of how "Vince" mismanaged his recruitment and communications. But I'm not sure that Satterfield isn't a better coach. Yes, fan support would have been greatest with Brohm, but in the end, coaching is what matters most.

I'm not going into all of my issues with the new AD another time. Just pointing out that his greatest shortcoming continues to be his inability to attract money, either thru fans or donors. That is far and away his biggest "failure" thus far. Sure, he can recover, but my belief is he doesn't even recognize that as a shortcoming. His words certainly don't show any sense of urgency. And I continue to remind people that "Vince" didn't take the job with a gun to his head. If he inherited problems as you say, that also doesn't matter in the end. They're still his problems to fix. He doesn't get a pass as AD because he inherited them which I don't fully agree with anyway.

As far as a "return of the previous AD", I'm guessing that's just a misunderstanding because I never said that. U of L could ask me to recruit Jurich back, and he still wouldn't take the job. What U of L should do is recruit Jurich for his SUPPORT, not employment. And that's not just because it's the right thing to do; it's because Jurich is linked to money in this community and will be for awhile. If there's a Jurich to consider re-hiring, it's MARK Jurich. I've outlined before my idea for how this could play out. Again, it's about money that "Vince" ain't getting otherwise.

My motivation is for U of L athletics to continue to prosper. I'd like for money to continue rolling in. I'd even like to find out that Jurich wasn't so special like most of us think/thought, that a guy like "Vince" can do the job as well. But I'm not simply giving him my money to make that happen, anymore than I give money to a financial planner who mismanages it. People earn what they get, and "Vince" has to earn his. At the moment, he's evidently not...
Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough… I wasn’t trying to recount whatever list you may have of Tyra’s “failures”, instead what I mentioned is simply my list. And again, I think his only real failure up to this point is not landing Brohm, which he seems to have mitigated if not erased by hiring Satterfield.

I do share your concerns about revenues, and that’s the next challenge for him. UofL fan attendance has largely been affected by scandal fatigue, as well as a disappointing football team, and also by the same factors that have decreased attendance everywhere (most games are available on high-def tv, people can be more selective in ticket purchases due to a cheap secondary market on the internet, ever-increasing entertainment options, etc.). I think many fans will appreciate the repriced tickets at Cardinal Stadium, but Tyra does need to continue to do what he can to address attendance revenue, and in another year or two we can probably have a reasonable discussion about any success or failure there. As for donor revenue, hopefully major donors will appreciate the coaching hires and begin to donate more again, and I would agree that this should now be a primary focus for Tyra.

I would like to see UofL honor Tom Jurich at the Notre Dame game next season as a first public reconciliation, bring him out on the field in between quarters and let the crowd show their appreciation. As a reminder, it did take 6 years after Crum left before we saw “Denny Crum Court”, so maybe it will take more time before those things begin to happen. As for Mark Jurich, he probably didn’t do himself any favors with his email to Vince concerning their seat locations as well as things like his email to Christine Simatacolos.

I was as shocked as anyone by the way things ended up happening this year for U Of L and especially Petrino, in retrospect I guess all the signs you guys were pointing out were there but it's still none the less shocking especially the position he's now in professionally. I think someone gives him another chance but not sure it's gonna be a conference where he could compete in the CFP. All that being said I'd simply let it go and enjoy the ride I think Sattersfield is gonna bring with him, recruiting wise its hard to say if he's gonna change much for the early signing period it's only ten days away but there's still gonna be some talent left on the board come February and I believe he can start cleaning up on in state recruiting if he gets in early. Kids simply just done want to feel like their your second option and there is definitely some elite talent coming up the next few years, most I've seen here in the last few years that I've lived here.

The vast majority of your posts I skip - you chose to try and call me out in this particular one and so I responded to correct your misconception on that particular topic.
My memory is intact on your first and only personal encounter with me...

I must have missed this post. I’m not sure why Mark would come back, or if he’s really any different from Nick Petrino WRT experience and level of competence. What can he do without daddy? I would definitely like to see TJ honored publicly, and maybe leveraged as a senior advisor or consultant, perhaps through the Jurich Group (I wonder if they really have any clients). That part can be done quietly so as not to further embarrass the university or Vince NQ.
A nobody called "The New York Nets"...

CBP just wasn’t a likeable guy. That always makes it worse. Probably not fair, but people naturally cut someone they like a little slack.

People keep saying this, and perhaps it's true (the evidence says it is) if you work for him. But publicly, I thought he came off fine, just a normal, unassuming dude you'd have a beer with somewhere. Granted, the pressers got a little short towards the end.......He's not super energetic with funny one liners, but he's not Belichick either.

All you say is mostly correct but the fact that he “quit” after the soul crushing loss to FSU is on him, period. That loss was on him and spelled his doom . . . and ours. And we also know that he did, in fact, suck with the local coaches and high schools. His arrogance was beyond comprehension.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Pretty sure the local recruiting stuff is a non-issue .... Everybody who follows local recruiting knows that Louisville and the state of Kentucky produces inferior football talent in terms of quantity to other areas of the country, especially the Deep South. And everybody also knows that in college football, quantity is essential to fielding a nationally competitive team at the P5 level.

Petrino simply did what every other successful UofL coach since Schnellenberger has done, which is focus on recruiting the Deep South, and picking and choosing the local recruits very carefully, while attempting to get as many local recruits as possible to walk on to the program.

The problem with this approach is that by using it the coach at UofL is not going to be very popular with the large majority of local recruits and by extension their coaches, who are trying to get their players scholarships. Every marginal recruit in the local area is going to feel insulted that UofL didn’t offer, and those local coaches and players who disagreed with the UofL coach’s talent evaluation end up holding a grudge because of the perceived slight.

After several years using this strategy, you are going to create a lot of grudges by slighting a lot of local players and coaches, and it’s only great success at winning football games and championships which allows the UofL coaches to overcome that negative word of mouth. And as we all know, this past year we did not have any winning at all to overcome it.

All of that to say that the only reason the local recruiting is an issue is because Petrino went 2-8 in 2018.

Last edited:
Even if that were all true, you can’t simply ignore the local recruiting. Never know when you might have a diamond in the rough. That’s simple arrogance. Even Strong reached out to the local HSs.

Plus it didn’t help when guys like Moore excel.

Reactions: BPGhost
Pretty sure the local recruiting stuff is a non-issue .... Everybody who follows local recruiting knows that Louisville and the state of Kentucky produces inferior football talent in terms of quantity to other areas of the country, especially the Deep South. And everybody also knows that in college football, quantity is essential to fielding a nationally competitive team at the P5 level.

Petrino simply did what every other successful UofL coach since Schnellenberger has done, which is focus on recruiting the Deep South, and picking and choosing the local recruits very carefully, while attempting to get as many local recruits as possible to walk on to the program.

The problem with this approach is that by using it the coach at UofL is not going to be very popular with the large majority of local recruits and by extension their coaches, who are trying to get their players scholarships. Every marginal recruit in the local area is going to feel insulted that UofL didn’t offer, and those local coaches and players who disagreed with the UofL coach’s talent evaluation end up holding a grudge because of the perceived slight.

After several years using this strategy, you are going to create a lot of grudges by slighting a lot of local players and coaches, and it’s only great success at winning football games and championships which allows the UofL coaches to overcome that negative word of mouth. And as we all know, this past year we did not have any winning at all to overcome it.

All of that to say that the only reason the local recruiting is an issue is because Petrino went 2-8 in 2018.

I'd say this is a pretty fair assessment except this year's signing class and the next two years actually has several 4 star recruits, skill positions and along the line too. My argument would simply be that most the talent is inferior because its not being developed, I've never seen so many kids who would rather just give up sports altogether and do nothing but video games if their futures weren't wrote on a basketball court. After these next few classes go through it's possible maybe even likely things could go back in the gutter, most years this state doesn't produce any 4 or 5 stars and few if any 3 star talent. It can change but it'll take both schools competing at a decent level anyway to keep interest going.

Why would you close that door? When recruiting out of state you are on a level playing field with other schools when recruiting a local kid you have a leg up on the competition. If we was a Clemson or Alabama I could see it where you are going to have your pick pretty much anywhere you go but unfortunately we’re not.

I'm not defending Petrino, but there are 23 Louisville kids from 12 different local high schools on the roster. Did they sneak on to the team, or were they recruited? Furthermore, the recruiting classes BP brought in were historically good for Louisville. The last five classes were ranked 31st, 29th, 36th, 32nd, and 40th, Bobby's first year back. To put that into perspective, Charlie's classes were ranked, from last to first, 52nd, 42nd, 29th, and 48th. So, Petrino isn't fully leaving the cupboard bare. Where he failed, however, was that he ignored certain positions and over recruited others. There are just 8 defensive linemen on the roster. Only 7 at DE. Meanwhile, we've got 5 long snappers. FIVE! How the recruiting class was shaping up this year, I honestly believe Petrino intentionally bombed. After Jurich was gone, he lost his strongest supporter. His dad then passed. He basically said "f*** it, I've got 14M dollars to fall back on." On field performance and recruiting suffered as a result.
Most long snappers are walk on, as are most of the local players on the roster.

Why would you close that door? When recruiting out of state you are on a level playing field with other schools when recruiting a local kid you have a leg up on the competition. If we was a Clemson or Alabama I could see it where you are going to have your pick pretty much anywhere you go but unfortunately we’re not.

UofL wasn’t closing it. The negative word of mouth from the players who felt they were snubbed, and coaches who felt that their players were snubbed, were the ones who closed it.

It’s important to understand how recruiting works, especially when it comes to walk-ons. A school is not allowed to recruit a marginal prospect as a scholarship player when they are a junior and then, when recruiting goes much better than expected, decide to only offer them a walk-on opportunity as a senior. As a result, the coaches have to decide early whether or not they project a prospect as a scholarship or walk-on player.

With thousands of dollars available in scholarships, recruits, their parents, and their coaches tend to get upset at the perceived slight when UofL chooses to recruit certain players as walk-ons. And then when the high school has an elite prospect, the head coach at the school often feels no loyalty to UofL to make sure the player signs with UofL.

Make no mistake about it ... UofL could completely fill its roster with local players if it chose to do so. We’d go 2-10 every year if we did, but at least the local high school coaches would be happy.

Last edited:
A gig with the New York Nets? That's too bad, since they ended in about 2012. Would be better to latch on with the Brooklyn Nets.
Not an NBA guy. Whichever NY team the Jurich Group was claiming to be "proud partners" with scrolling across the Barclays Center floor a few weeks ago. Like I said, "nobody"...

Vince backed up the Gold truck that was loaded by Jurich.
Jurich got other people to put gold on that truck. "Vince" hasn't figured out who those people are, so he puts his own. Or I should sat YOURS...

ADVERTISEMENT