ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino's Negative Legacy

racehorseowner

New Poster, Show Me Love
Mar 23, 2015
Not only did Petrino fail as an in-game coach but he (according to a CJ article) offended local high-profile high school players by paying little or no attention to them. As a result, most are headed elsewhere and not to UL. Try as I might, I can find no logical explanation for such behavior.

Petrino left UL with a reputation among local high school coaches and players that will take time for Scott Satterfield to repair. For this and a 2-10 season, he gets an outrageous buyout.

The wretched reputation Petrino earned with the Atlanta Falcons and Arkansas Razorbacks is fully deserved. When he quit the Falcons in midseason he did not have the decency to tell his players in person...he left a note. The Arkansas episode speaks for itself.

Petrino is gone and that's not going to change. He will stay gone this time around.

Satterfield will mend fences with the local HS coaches and he'll do it fast. He has already started that healing process. He started it during his intial press conference as the new UofL head coach. There is a new sherrif in town. His name is Scott Satterfield.

Go CARDS!!!

Top 10 from Kentucky.

1. Herron - Stanford
2. Robinson - Nebraska
3. Lacey - Notre Dame
4. Wright - Purdue
5. Hudson - VaTech
6. Bowles - Alabama
7. Casey - Kentucky
8. Weaver - Kentucky
9. Knight-Goff - Kentucky
10. Crumes - Kentucky

Hopefully the legacy won't live long. I'm hopeful Satterfield will be able to get UofL back in the good graces of the many High School coaches and players in the region. It may take a couple of years to fully turn around. But I think once the HS coaches are treated well, and the players, we'll start to see a shift in the perception.

I'm not defending Petrino, but there are 23 Louisville kids from 12 different local high schools on the roster. Did they sneak on to the team, or were they recruited? Furthermore, the recruiting classes BP brought in were historically good for Louisville. The last five classes were ranked 31st, 29th, 36th, 32nd, and 40th, Bobby's first year back. To put that into perspective, Charlie's classes were ranked, from last to first, 52nd, 42nd, 29th, and 48th. So, Petrino isn't fully leaving the cupboard bare. Where he failed, however, was that he ignored certain positions and over recruited others. There are just 8 defensive linemen on the roster. Only 7 at DE. Meanwhile, we've got 5 long snappers. FIVE! How the recruiting class was shaping up this year, I honestly believe Petrino intentionally bombed. After Jurich was gone, he lost his strongest supporter. His dad then passed. He basically said "f*** it, I've got 14M dollars to fall back on." On field performance and recruiting suffered as a result.

I'm not defending Petrino, but there are 23 Louisville kids from 12 different local high schools on the roster. Did they sneak on to the team, or were they recruited? Furthermore, the recruiting classes BP brought in were historically good for Louisville. The last five classes were ranked 31st, 29th, 36th, 32nd, and 40th, Bobby's first year back. To put that into perspective, Charlie's classes were ranked, from last to first, 52nd, 42nd, 29th, and 48th. So, Petrino isn't fully leaving the cupboard bare. Where he failed, however, was that he ignored certain positions and over recruited others. There are just 8 defensive linemen on the roster. Only 7 at DE. Meanwhile, we've got 5 long snappers. FIVE! How the recruiting class was shaping up this year, I honestly believe Petrino intentionally bombed. After Jurich was gone, he lost his strongest supporter. His dad then passed. He basically said "f*** it, I've got 14M dollars to fall back on." On field performance and recruiting suffered as a result.
We’ve been down this path before. He didn’t just say “f” it. As it has been well pointed out he had 3 family members on staff and their family futures were at risk. The boat was sinking fast and as captain, he couldn’t keep it from happening.

OK, serious response. I agree with all of this. And as another added, he was hard to work for and hired family members and that's difficult to manage when times call for tough decisions.

The team was one of the worst in FBS on the field of play, and while we didn't see it, you put together a great case as to why the cupboard shouldn't be exactly bare for HCSS. I'm not saying "YEAH 10-2 in 2019!" or anything but grab a few able bodies for the well-known holes (TWSS) and IMO 6-6 or 7-5 is very realistic. Hell, Jawon Pass looked great in mop-up time before this season. I'm not convinced that we saw the real Jawon Pass this year. If he's good enough for Saban (who I consider a good evaluator of talent), then he's good enough for a chance and a fresh start. HCSS should be able to better develop Pass' decision making & confidence, which were his issues this past year.

Top 10 from Kentucky.

1. Herron - Stanford
2. Robinson - Nebraska
3. Lacey - Notre Dame
4. Wright - Purdue
5. Hudson - VaTech
6. Bowles - Alabama
7. Casey - Kentucky
8. Weaver - Kentucky
10. Crumes - Kentucky

Sickening. Thanks a lot Bobby 2.0. The ironic thing out of all of this is that his best team at UofL was built around two local boys.

Top 10 from Kentucky.

1. Herron - Stanford
2. Robinson - Nebraska
3. Lacey - Notre Dame
4. Wright - Purdue
5. Hudson - VaTech
6. Bowles - Alabama
7. Casey - Kentucky
8. Weaver - Kentucky
10. Crumes - Kentucky

Im willing to bet 8 of these 10 including numbers 7,8 would be wearing Red and Black if the chicken shit guy in West Lafayette had come..........

Reactions: gocds
And some wanted to give this clown another year.

His name shall never be spoken again.

We shouldn’t go that far. 41-9 in his first stint when he had his shit together. He just didn’t give a F in his second stint. Bobby’s time here is the epitome of bitter-sweet, albeit he went from latter to former. He did win us an Orange Bowl and he got us a Heisman winner. I appreciate his accomplishments.

Reactions: American Male
We shouldn’t go that far. 41-9 in his first stint when he had his shit together. He just didn’t give a F in his second stint. Bobby’s time here is the epitome of bitter-sweet, albeit he went from latter to former. He did win us an Orange Bowl and he got us a Heisman winner. I appreciate his accomplishments.

By not recruiting local high schools cemented his image as crud.

You can just seperate the 41-9.
He ruined it by lying about leaving.
He further ruined it by this dredge of a season. He didnt even allow the players to hav players only meetings. Among other things.

He was ready to retire but didnt hav the guts to just step down. He wanted the 14 million he could only garner by being fired.

His multiple strikes unfortunately wipe away or push down the 41-9.

It was all of his doing. Good riddance......

I'm enjoying the hell outta butthurt fans and self righteous, attention-starved media members dancing on Petrino's grave. Someone oughta write a book, and make sure to include ISIS and polar melts along with the damage done.

Almost makes me glad he walked away with his $14 million...

We’ve been down this path before. He didn’t just say “f” it. As it has been well pointed out he had 3 family members on staff and their family futures were at risk. The boat was sinking fast and as captain, he couldn’t keep it from happening.

He lacked, intentional or otherwise, motivation. He mailed it in. $14M takes care of a lot of family members.

I'm enjoying the hell outta butthurt fans and self righteous, attention-starved media members dancing on Petrino's grave. Someone oughta write a book, and make sure to include ISIS and polar melts along with the damage done.

Almost makes me glad he walked away with his $14 million...

He earned his outcome. Tyra vanquished him for such insolence.

By the way, thanks for weighing in,
University of Petrino's number one fan and President.

His lack of interest in recruiting explains a lot as to why after he left programs 4 years in - there was usually a precipitous drop.

His lack of interest in recruiting explains a lot as to why after he left programs 4 years in - there was usually a precipitous drop.
I remember some poster (I forget who) warning us that we would be in “uncharted territory” in year five when he got the extension. Proved to be prophetic.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
He earned his outcome. Tyra vanquished him for such insolence.

By the way, thanks for weighing in,
University of Petrino's number one fan and President.
LOL... "Vince" backed up the gold truck.

And to be clear, I'm a "fan" of just about anyone who makes him look bad. I'm not picky...

And some wanted to give this clown another year.

His name shall never be spoken again.
Now Kerry, I never called him a clown. You can if you want but I don't wish to. Petrino gave us some great memories before he quit on us. Only he knows why but it cost him his job and tainted his legacy at UofL. He'll have to live with that.

Now Kerry, I never called him a clown. You can if you want but I don't wish to. Petrino gave us some great memories before he quit on us. Only he knows why but it cost him his job and tainted his legacy at UofL. He'll have to live with that.

I know you didnt.
I did change that.
His name makes me want to hurl.

He went from the greatest UofL coach to kragthorpian DESPITE having a Heisman winner and 10,11 win team.
SuCkS did us a favor defeating the Cards in 2016 ,otherwise he'd still be here.

Doesnt make sense, unless he wanted to stick it to UofL since many on the Academic side wanted he and Jurich fired.

Uh, MOST of the "23" Kentucky players on the roster are walk ons. It's the high school coaches themselves saying cbp was never around ONCE IN 5 YEARS, not we fans speculating! Coaches, not fans, there's the first clue!

Hey Kerry, I wouldn't sweat zippy boy, he's predicatably boring! And no one gives two shits what he thinks. He's only over rated in his own mind.

Reactions: bassman4500
Hindsight is 20/20 I think we can all agree now that he is a POS and glad he is gone. We did have some good times under him, but his true self reared its head again in the end.
This was actually a case where everyone knew he was a POS already when jurich brought him back. Leaving UL for the falcons in the middle of the night, leaving the falcons like a total coward without even talking to anyone, then taking the famous ride on his Harley. The POS part was already a known fact

We understand that you are anti-Mack and anti-Tyra. Will you also identify as anti-Satterfield?
Satterfield looks like a decent guy. At a personal level, I probably like him better than Mack not that it matters how likeable these guys are.

Once again, coaches are hired guns who should neither be loved nor hated ("anti"). You're getting sucked in being that emotional about guys who really only care about the money. What they say means almost nothing. And they're not here because of "Vince" anymore than they would have been because of Jurich. You're naive thinking otherwise.

I'm not at all anti-Mack either. Anti- the third guy, that's another story. Just remember as I try to that when you hate someone, they own a little piece of you (or maybe a big one)...

Hey Kerry, I wouldn't sweat zippy boy, he's predicatably boring! And no one gives two shits what he thinks. He's only over rated in his own mind.
You need to take that narrative to the many other people here who feel a little differently. If I've offended you, well, I'm not sorry because you may have deserved it...

Why do people even reply do Zipps posts. He's got his own agenda and that's the opposite opinion of most people.
That's a superficial and oversimplified way of analyzing what I say and think. If you care to, find some examples and we'll discuss them...

I don't care who the coach is they better have strong assistants. They better be able to develop those assistants. Ideally, they need to keep their key assistants in place for years 5 to 6 years. Pitino was terrific at identifying terrific assistants then developing them. What cost him in the end was the decision to find recruiters instead of finding great assistants coaches.

Petrino first go around he had really good assistants. The critical mistake Jurich made in bringing Petrino back was he didn't look beyond Petrino. He failed to grasp how toxic Petrino had become in the coaching world. The original staff that was brought in was terrific, but none of those key guys stayed. He had no one is his coaching tree.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Public Enemy
This was actually a case where everyone knew he was a POS already when jurich brought him back. Leaving UL for the falcons in the middle of the night, leaving the falcons like a total coward without even talking to anyone, then taking the famous ride on his Harley. The POS part was already a known fact
He is and he gave up in the end but we are all forgetting that we had a heisman winner, were in the top 25 most years (6 of the last 7 I think ) and were in serious playoff contention one of those seasons. UofL was headlined on ESPN most weeks that season

Hiring him wasn't a bad decision, nobody knew that he'd throw in the towel in his last season .I think he was worth every penny we paid him, minus the buyout .

Satterfield looks like a decent guy. At a personal level, I probably like him better than Mack not that it matters how likeable these guys are.

Once again, coaches are hired guns who should neither be loved nor hated ("anti"). You're getting sucked in being that emotional about guys who really only care about the money. What they say means almost nothing. And they're not here because of "Vince" anymore than they would have been because of Jurich. You're naive thinking otherwise.

I'm not at all anti-Mack either. Anti- the third guy, that's another story. Just remember as I try to that when you hate someone, they own a little piece of you (or maybe a big one)...
But if you want Vince NQ to look bad, the best way for that to happen is for his coaching hires to fail. For them to fail, UofL must lose, or be in some other way embarrassed. Therefore, you must cheer against UofL, in order for the guy you dislike (apparently for no other reason than he’s not “Tom”) to look bad. The best message board for those that wish for UofL to lose or be embarrassed is the UK board. Should you not be there, with like-minded people?
BTW, coaches, like everybody else, care about other things besides money. But, like everyone else, with other things being equal, money is a powerful motivator. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
But if you want Vince NQ to look bad, the best way for that to happen is for his coaching hires to fail. For them to fail, UofL must lose, or be in some other way embarrassed. Therefore, you must cheer against UofL, in order for the guy you dislike (apparently for no other reason than he’s not “Tom”) to look bad. The best message board for those that wish for UofL to lose or be embarrassed is the UK board. Should you not be there, with like-minded people?
BTW, coaches, like everybody else, care about other things besides money. But, like everyone else, with other things being equal, money is a powerful motivator. Nothing wrong with that.
Well said, I agree completely.

But at the moment, I am more focused on Zipp's posts a couple before this one... He apparently likes U2 and Tom Petty, and so I am amazed to find that there are two things we agree on!

• I actually agree with Zipp on the local media and fans “ dancing on Petrino’s grave.” To put it mildly, the local media sucks. Where were these harsh opinion pieces while Petrino was still in town and employed? That’s right, there weren’t any. The local media is the most mosquito-dicked bunch I’ve ever seen.
  • As for the fans trashing Petrino, I get it, but try to do so with some modicum of appreciation for what that man did here. Without bias, he’s the most successful coach in program history with 3-4 of the best seasons we’ve ever had. In equivalent terms, he wasn’t much worse this year than Denny Crum’s final basketball season. Show a little respect even if the new hire and change was well-warranted

Reactions: zipp
  • I actually agree with Zipp on the local media and fans “ dancing on Petrino’s grave.” To put it mildly, the local media sucks. Where were these harsh opinion pieces while Petrino was still in town and employed? That’s right, there weren’t any. The local media is the most mosquito-dicked bunch I’ve ever seen.
  • As for the fans trashing Petrino, I get it, but try to do so with some modicum of appreciation for what that man did here. Without bias, he’s the most successful coach in program history with 3-4 of the best seasons we’ve ever had. In equivalent terms, he wasn’t much worse this year than Denny Crum’s final basketball season. Show a little respect even if the new hire and change was well-warranted

Local media reacted the same way post Pitino. They didn’t go on and on like they’re doing with Petrino, but radio guys, specifically at 93.9, said negative things about Pitino too. I don’t have a problem with these guys voicing their opinion, but why wait until after they are gone to voice these opinions? It’s because many of our local radio guys are flat out scared.

Reactions: zipp and STLNBSE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT