ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino

Thankfully, message board posters don't get to make hire-and-fire decisions re. coaches. There's nothing wrong with Petrino's performance compared to the better P5 teams nationally. If anyone wants to reflect on a larger population of data for ALL teams, let me know...

opinions-vary.png

Now that it looks like Alabama is on its way to win its sixth National Championship in nine years...UofL playing them now looks worse. Bobby 2.0 better get out there and get some players...better coordinators and a better game plan that he has had the last two seasons. I have back and forth on the Lamar question. After watching the different bowls, teams , etc....he needs to go. The reason, I don't think the is an offensive game plan to really exploit Lamar talent.if he had a hard nose RB and some receivers that could catch that damn ball. I think players for the draft is ridiculous. Yes, Hearns had surgery...but was it season ending?
Lamar + the talent Baker Mayfield had to work with = GOAT. He may be that anyway.

A fear I have is that the lack of support for Bobby will grow, and the resulting change will bite us on the ass. We'll all be like "remember when we averaged 8-9 wins per season and had crazy explosive offenses?" Sigh. I guess what I'm saying is be careful what you wish for. Things aren't great, but they aren't awful either. Not by a long shot.

A fear I have is that the lack of support for Bobby will grow, and the resulting change will bite us on the ass. We'll all be like "remember when we averaged 8-9 wins per season and had crazy explosive offenses?" Sigh. I guess what I'm saying is be careful what you wish for. Things aren't great, but they aren't awful either. Not by a long shot.
Our most glaring problem this season was a horrible D line. We had a converted LB, two converted DE's playing in the middle and teams like BC absolutely exploited it as they should. Losing Shortridge and Chris Williams preseason was a killer. Now we have some real interior D Linemen coming with size unfortunately they will also be inexperienced. CBP did not create this problem, a lazy recruiting Staff before 2017 did. CBP did what he had to do and now serious young recruiters on Staff now.

People don't realize how hard it is to get a very good coach. Look at what's out there. There's a long way to fall from Bobby. Next year might be tough but with a great recruiting class coming in that is going to get a lot of Year 1 experience, the future is pretty exciting.

Reactions: zipp

Are we fans of good not great or we striving for great.
Getting paid 4 mill a year for 8,9 wins is not cost effective.

You see Richt leading GA to the National Championship right........oh wait.........

People don't realize how hard it is to get a very good coach...
Oh yes they do. They think you can drop a pretty good one, and the name "Louisville" is on the lips of every hot shot out there. Bingo, no problem!

Fans are just fans for a pretty good reason. That's all they're good at...

You see Richt leading GA to the National Championship right........oh wait.........

Okay there's the UGA example, and then there's the Nebraska example. Frank Solich had 6 very good years (9-4, 12-1 national runner-up, 10-2, 11-2, 7-7, 9-3) and was fired after going 9-3. That program has been straddling at 6-6 for about 20 years now as a result.

Ah, but Petrino hasn't been given the time Richt was allotted. We're on year 4 of Petrino 2.0. Richt got 14 in Athens. Are we where we would like to be? Of course not. I just know things could be worse. We've seen it. It wasn't that long ago.

Okay there's the UGA example, and then there's the Nebraska example. Frank Solich had 6 very good years (9-4, 12-1 national runner-up, 10-2, 11-2, 7-7, 9-3) and was fired after going 9-3. That program has been straddling at 6-6 for about 20 years now as a result.

Youre validating what im saying.
Whoever is after Petrino, will have the same expectations.

Cards are in a P5 Conference, you should compete for the Title.

Reactions: wilkie01

I agree totally Kerry, listening to Marcus Maybin run us down all morning as not ever being a powerhouse pissed me off and turned him off for good. If that's the case, why are we paying so much? Yet, will we get a Nick Saban? Probably not but he wasn't the next sure fire thing when he was hired at Bama, really didn't have a lot to hang his hat on, does now. Not saying we can compete with their overall resources but don't charge us like we are. But I really like this recruiting class which is only going to get better with the last 3-5 signing.

I agree totally Kerry, listening to Marcus Maybin run us down all morning as not ever being a powerhouse pissed me off and turned him off for good. If that's the case, why are we paying so much? Yet, will we get a Nick Saban? Probably not but he wasn't the next sure fire thing when he was hired at Bama, really didn't have a lot to hang his hat on, does now. Not saying we can compete with their overall resources but don't charge us like we are. But I really like this recruiting class which is only going to get better with the last 3-5 signing.

Saban was pretty sure fire, IMO. Won a BCS championship at LSU, did a great job at Michigan St. prior to that. The NFL wasn't for him, but on the collegiate level, he's a killer. Given the resources and commitment Bama has for football, it was a home run hire out of the gate.

Agree on the recruiting class. Very excited.

Agreed. If you are in a P5 conference, you should compete for the conference title. Having said that, obviously, in this day and age, winning your conference title doesn't guarantee you a shot at the title. I mean, if OSU can't get a spot, then the uphill climb for Louisville will be immense. Perhaps I'm jaded, but should UofL win the ACC, then the pundits will be like "well, the ACC was down. This team over there has more losses, but look at that schedule, who they beat." It will always be something. We can only hope the team wins every game. But, still, their destiny will be decided by other factors.

Here are the teams that have made the playoffs since the, well, playoff system began:

Oregon
FSU
Ohio State
Clemson
Oklahoma
Michigan State
Alabama
Washington
Georgia

What is that, 6 maybe 7 blue bloods, depending on your definition. Oregon and Washington, two also very good programs with much richer histories than UofL's. My point is if UofL isn't the first non historically decorated program to make the playoffs, then I'd like to see someone else of the same ilk make it before I think there's a legit chance for the Cards against the powers that be.

The other named candidates when we hired Petrino were: Pat Narduzzi, Derek Mason, Rich Rodriguez and Chad Morris. That was the pond we were fishing in.

He had won at Michigan State, won an NC at LSU, and coached the Dolphins (unsuccessfully, but still did it). That’s something to hang your hat on. The more interesting case of dumb luck is Dabo. He was out of football, hired as a position coach, and promoted to head coach with no prior head or even coordinator experience. Talk about lucky hires!
I like this class, too. I think if they can close strong and continue their recruiting AND development, UL will be much improved in 2019 and 2020. Next year’s schedule will be so difficult that it will be good if we manage 7 wins even though we may be a better team next year.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Agreed. If you are in a P5 conference, you should compete for the conference title. Having said that, obviously, in this day and age, winning your conference title doesn't guarantee you a shot at the title. I mean, if OSU can't get a spot, then the uphill climb for Louisville will be immense. Perhaps I'm jaded, but should UofL win the ACC, then the pundits will be like "well, the ACC was down. This team over there has more losses, but look at that schedule, who they beat." It will always be something. We can only hope the team wins every game. But, still, their destiny will be decided by other factors.

Here are the teams that have made the playoffs since the, well, playoff system began:

Oregon
FSU
Ohio State
Clemson
Oklahoma
Michigan State
Alabama
Washington
Georgia

What is that, 6 maybe 7 blue bloods, depending on your definition. Oregon and Washington, two also very good programs with much richer histories than UofL's. My point is if UofL isn't the first non historically decorated program to make the playoffs, then I'd like to see someone else of the same ilk make it before I think there's a legit chance for the Cards against the powers that be.

This is a great post really. If the playoffs expand and there is an opportunity to "get hot at the right time" like the other big sports, then maybe UofL can get in the hunt.

Reactions: CardX
Bobby's four years:

9-4 (5-3) Belk Bowl ; Lost to Georgia 37-14
8-5 (5-3) MUSIC CITY BOWL: Beat Texas A&M 27-21
9-4 (7-1) CITRUS BOWL: Lost to LSU 29-9

8-5 (4-4) TAXSLAYER BOWL: Lost to Mississippi State 31-27

Not coaching like a $4 million coach in my opinion!

Reactions: KerryRhodes
...Not coaching like a $4 million coach in my opinion!
Standalone data mean little, i.e., you need reference points for your data. For example...

Upper 20% won-lost record in P5 football.

He's doing fine.

Bobby's four years:

9-4 (5-3) Belk Bowl ; Lost to Georgia 37-14
8-5 (5-3) MUSIC CITY BOWL: Beat Texas A&M 27-21
9-4 (7-1) CITRUS BOWL: Lost to LSU 29-9

8-5 (4-4) TAXSLAYER BOWL: Lost to Mississippi State 31-27

Not coaching like a $4 million coach in my opinion!
34-18 overall 21-11 in Conference not shabby overall when you take into account it's only 4 years recruiting ACC caliber players and not AAC or Big East level recruits.

Reactions: Mayoman
How so? He's ahead of Harbaugh on that stat who makes $9 million annually.

It looks like we're getting a helluva deal with Petrino...

Youve the best player for 3 years and the best he could do with him was a
Citrus bowl debacle.

He's dead man coaching, unless 40-9 Bobby takes back over.

Youve the best player for 3 years and the best he could do with him was a
Citrus bowl debacle.

He's dead man coaching, unless 40-9 Bobby takes back over.
Cherry picking data. The full body of work shows Petrino's doing better than most coaches in P5. IMO he's not going anywhere except of his own choosing, nor should he...

BTW, if you're looking for his crowning accomplishment the last four years, it was tying the national champs for the divisional title last year with far less talent...

Circling back from my September discussion...we are what we are. Bobby 2.0 is continuing to perform as expected. We can ride this out and see how the development of recruits comes along but no indications yet of there being positive progress in the field. I go back to my original thought, i'll give Bobby till the 8 year mark but he's not yet shown me that we couldn't go out and grab someone else with potentially more upside. Given he is serious on wanting to coach here for life...then we can be patient.

Same with Arkansas. Petrino out after multiple seasons with 9+ wins, he's out, Buleima comes in and stinks up the place and is fired.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Petrino firing had nothing to do with football.
My take is, after four years the next guy comes in and can do nothing with what Bobby left. Which was HUGE holes in his recruiting.

Sound familiar? CBP lived on a win-and-leave-for-greener-pastures attitude for a while. If I had a crystal ball, I'd like to know how he would have done at Arky had he not gotten fired. My bet is they would have taken a big step backward because of recruiting lapses there, but we'll never know.

We're going into year five, and it seems the light just now went off that we NEED certain positions in order to be successful. I love his offense, but he needs to learn that D wins too.

We finally have a pretty balanced, and solid class.

I hope it continues.

Whoa Rollem, Rollem, Rollem...

Are you implying that K-rag failed here because Petrino left him with nothing in the cupboard? Tell me that's not what you're saying?

I have no issue with the POV that Petrino's defense always needs help. I said the same when he was rehired, and it's still true...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT