ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino Hires DC

2014 was the year of the devastating injuries. we finished the season with like 8 starters with season ending injuries on defense. Vangorder was fired after the 4th game of the third season. His defense was the worse in ND history at the time of his termination. It rebounded to finish 51st in the country after his departure.
Hallelujah for miraculously finishing 51st in the country in defense that year after the worst defensive Coordinator in history, mercifully left the perennial, championship, Irish program.

It’s clear that the genius Kelly has it figured out now. Thanks, we’ll judge coach VanGorder on how he performs here. He has enough challenges replacing a lot of talent and experience lost. I’m betting we get an experienced and knowledgeable DC who is refreshed and ready to kick butt.

I do wish him the best until ND travels to Louisville on 9/2/19.

Hallelujah for miraculously finishing 51st in the country in defense that year after the worst defensive Coordinator in history, mercifully left the perennial, championship, Irish program.

It’s clear that the genius Kelly has it figured out now. Thanks, we’ll judge coach VanGorder on how he performs here. He has enough challenges replacing a lot of talent and experience lost. I’m betting we get an experienced and knowledgeable DC who is refreshed and ready to kick butt.

He certainly is more qualified than what Sirmon was. FWIW.

Reactions: Mayoman
Congrats on your AllStar Undrafted Free Agent Team. VanGorder was a scapegoat for the pudgy red faced Irish gnome who keeps his job by being mediocre.

Interesting. So how come the defense drastically improved as soon as he left? And do you know how hard it is to make a nfl team? If you’re making one, you’re a very good college football player. So they had a few draft picks, some of them on the higher end and undrafted pros. That SHOULD make for a great college defense

Interesting. So how come the defense drastically improved as soon as he left? And do you know how hard it is to make a nfl team? If you’re making one, you’re a very good college football player. So they had a few draft picks, some of them on the higher end and undrafted pros. That SHOULD make for a great college defense
You’re right. BVG is just awful. Sorry also that he ruined your first date that year in South Bend.

I think it's a good hire. Only question is, wasn't he available before Sirmon was hired? Would've saved a defense learning brand new terminology with Bama up next.

I think it's a good hire. Only question is, wasn't he available before Sirmon was hired? Would've saved a defense learning brand new terminology with Bama up next.

Sirmon was an all-around baffling hire. No other way around it. That guy is at least two wins below replacement of the average DC.

From what I've read, it sounds like the plan is for you guys to switch from a 3-4 multiple
To the four down set.
There are really smart people that can argue the plus/minus of both.
In you Card fans opinion, do you have the right players to switch to the 4-3 or do you believe it will take a couple of seasons to get the right recruits for success?

From what I've read, it sounds like the plan is for you guys to switch from a 3-4 multiple
To the four down set.
There are really smart people that can argue the plus/minus of both.
In you Card fans opinion, do you have the right players to switch to the 4-3 or do you believe it will take a couple of seasons to get the right recruits for success?

We do not have the stud fireplug at nose tackle to run a 3-4, so I’d say a 4-3 makes more sense. In general the defense is going to be very young so it will be a process next season.

Reactions: billoliver40
We do not have the stud fireplug at nose tackle to run a 3-4, so I’d say a 4-3 makes more sense. In general the defense is going to be very young so it will be a process next season.
Pretty good observation. I really think the basic reason Stoops switched to a '3-4 multiple' at UK was lack of bodies.
You gotta have the right players, and in P5 football you need at least two solid NTs to compete through the season. And three doesn't hurt.
So far, we ain't got it. MAY be looking up next year with a couple RS kids plus McCall,
Kid from Michigan....but it's a looooong stretch.
To me, a good four man front that can put pressure on the QB is golden.
Lol......football scheming is a job for mad scientists......long as it works, you're a genius. It fails and you're a bum

Reactions: Knucklehank1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT