ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino Hires DC

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
The new DC is Brian Van Gorder. He was run out of South Bend a few years ago.

The biggest positive I see is that he can’t be worse than Sirmon.

I heard this as well I think it’s a solid hire as of now. We’ll see how it turns out.

Well for context....also Brian Kelly Fired Him after 4 games as DC @ Notre Dame...

Expected to be a huge hire for Gene Chizik in 2012 at Auburn, VanGorder lasted only the one season with the Tigers, as he was let go along with Chizik at the end of the season. The Tigers defense struggled mightily that season, giving up 420.5 yards per game, ranking 81st in the country.

From 2001-04, VanGorder served as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for Georgia until accepting a job with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2005. He would then go onto become the head coach at Georgia Southern for one season before accepting a job with the Atlanta Falcons.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/r...oordinator-louisville/It6vD6xkL4GvKaUCs9ZkiL/

Last edited:
Goes along with everything else. Just wishin' and hopin' for SOMEBODY who gives $#!t about defense.

Sirmon was a head scratcher. Now this.

Will BVG be the next sacrificial lamb for CBP?

This hire certainly doe not move the needle for me either.....and saying 'head scratcher' is putting it mildly RC. Getting harder and harder to defend the judgement of anyone associated with UofL these days.:confused:o_O

Reactions: American Male
Are you kidding me? Bobby is writing his last song. Not a good hire. One bad hire after another.

I wonder why we can’t get a solid DC? Is it Bobby because if it is we need to really begin to question that. If he under performs we’re screwed.

Was he still coaching? Why didn’t we just promote Ward? At least he’s got a better history of late.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? Bobby is writing his last song. Not a good hire. One bad hire after another.

I wonder why we can’t get a solid DC? Is it Bobby because if it is we need to really begin to question that. If he under performs we’re screwed.

Was he still coaching? Why didn’t we just promote Ward? At least he’s got a better history if late.
Good questions and well said.

Yes he had a very successful tenure at UGA, 42-10, Broyles award. But those teams were LOADED. Every other place he’s been nothing but mediocre. Not impressed.

Reactions: American Male
You all are already assuming the guy is going to be a disaster? This year is already going to be a throw away in terms of defense because of all the starters we lose. Are we gonna be like Tennessee fans and just openly reject a hire? I mean I assume there is still time to call for someone else. The guy had success at both Georgia and the falcons.

Look, I'm not crazy about the DC hire, but considering the timing and situation, we probably couldn't have done much better. BVG doesn't stay anywhere very long, typically 1-2 seasons then he bolts. Fully expect him to do the same with us, as long as we can have a top 50-60 type defense along with a BP coached offense we should be a 7/8 win team. Leadership will have to determine if that is good enough when it comes to BPs future.

I fully expect to be looking for a new DC at the end of this season, or next. Hopefully at that point, with timing and returning starters (which does matter folks), we can land someone we can get excited about.

Although, my hope is that BVG proves everyone wrong, including me, and has a hell of a defense lining up for many years to come for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: jts_cards

Was he still coaching? Why didn’t we just promote Ward? At least he’s got a better history of late.
Give the guy a chance.

Look, I'm not crazy about the DC hire, but considering the timing and situation, we probably couldn't have done much better. BVG doesn't stay anywhere very long, typically 1-2 seasons then he bolts. Fully expect him to do the same with us, as long as we can have a top 50-60 type defense along with a BP coached offense we should be a 7/8 win team. Leadership will have to determine if that is good enough for UofL or not when it comes to BPs future.

I fully expect to be looking for a new DC during bowl season this upcoming year. Hopefully at that point, with timing and returning starters (which does matter folks), we can land someone we can get excited about.

That’s great. If he bolts/or doesn’t workout we will have had 3 different DC in 3 years. Top teams don’t have that kind of turnover. So you just pointed out my biggest concern. How can we recruit with that swinging door. This is not good. But as usual all we can do is hang on for the ride.

But if it doesn’t it might be time to consider what we do with CBP. And I don’t say that lightly because I’m a CBP fan, but I’m a Cards fan First.

Can’t wait until he shows up at some young mans HS and tells him he’s been an analyst. Boy I’m sure that will go a long way.

The analyst position has been made popular by Nick Saban. He will get an experienced former head coach or coordinator and use them in a scouting/game planning role (Sarkisian, Locksley and potentially Hugh Freeze all with Saban). It’s usually someone who trying to stay involved in the game while they wait for an opportunity that matches their experience.

Reactions: Smithereen
Can’t wait until he shows up at some young mans HS and tells him he’s been an analyst. Boy I’m sure that will go a long way.

The analyst position has been made popular by Nick Saban. He will get an experienced former head coach or coordinator and use them in a scouting/game planning role (Sarkisian, Locksley and potentially Hugh Freeze all with Saban). It’s usually someone who trying to stay involved in the game while they wait for an opportunity that matches their experience.

Ok. Hey I could be completely wrong and hope I am. But I’m concerned.

Reactions: xmlmetal
Look, I'm not crazy about the DC hire, but considering the timing and situation, we probably couldn't have done much better. BVG doesn't stay anywhere very long, typically 1-2 seasons then he bolts. Fully expect him to do the same with us, as long as we can have a top 50-60 type defense along with a BP coached offense we should be a 7/8 win team. Leadership will have to determine if that is good enough when it comes to BPs future.

I fully expect to be looking for a new DC at the end of this season, or next. Hopefully at that point, with timing and returning starters (which does matter folks), we can land someone we can get excited about.

Although, my hope is that BVG proves everyone wrong, including me, and has a hell of a defense lining up for many years to come for us.
I don’t think Bobby was looking for a stop gap hire. We want a DC that will last. I doubt Bobby wants anything different. BVG can coach until Bobby’s contract ends realistically in terms of his age. Then we can bring in Brohm and Nick Holt.

It's funny how opinions regarding DCs in particular can vary so widely. On face value, BVG has held some high profile gigs and is said to be a high intensity guy who brings a lot of pressure. He's also been a scapegoat for NDs poor defense when in reality they were lacking talent on that side of the ball. Quick read here about ND and Stanford coach David Shaw singing his praises 5 games into 2014:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...vangorders-stout-defense-continues-to-impress

The universal opinion of him is not positive. I'll reserve judgement. He's had a long career.

It all comes down to talent and if guys step up. Even Sirmon looked decent when he had Jaire on the field. If players play, CBVG will seem like a good hire. If not, he will be criticized, as will CBP.
I like that he coaches pressure. We will probably give up some big plays, but we’ll make some, too. Bring on Bama and let’s find out what we’ve got.

Since the college game has changed to a more open, spread type of offenses, BVG has put up some pretty bad numbers. His complex defense is a bit much for the college game. At ND, the players said it took them a couple years to understand it, and they were still thinking on the field, and not reacting. I hope he has completely changed his system since his stop at okie state.
Not good recruiter either.
Head scratching hire.

Yes Georgia had tons of talent when VanGorder was there but the guy’s defense was Top 10 for 3 straight years.

He also was respected enough to not only be hired as So Carolina’s DC before going to the Atlanta Falcons, his defenses while coaching in the NFL were more than respectable. In his 4 years as DC for the Falcons under Mike Smith (another talented defensive coach) his squads were ranked:
2008- 10th in Scoring Defense” at 20.3 points allowed per game.
2009- tied for 12th in Scoring Defense at 20.3 ppg
2010- 6th in Scoring Defense at 18 ppg
2011- 18th in Scoring Defense at 21.7 ppg

He’s had his struggles like any DC not named Wade Phillips or Nick Saban. Call him a retread if you want but we could do a whole lot worse.

The knock about his defenses being complicated as jmmcgr02 noted, may be true but that was also the knock on Todd Grantham and he seems to be doing quite well in the college ranks at the moment.

I like our chances with a guy who has tons of experience and was well thought of enough to be hired as DC by Georgia, Auburn, South Carolina, Notre Dame and the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons. That’s quite a resume’

Here’s more stats to chew on.

Everyone rips VanGorder as a failure in his 3 years at Notre Dame as DC. If you take the middle year (2015) at ND for reference....

Van Gorder’s Defense that year finished 34th in the Nation in points allowed at 22.4. Here’s a list of Defensive Coordinators that finished the year ranked below BVG’s. (Some, way below).

#44- Kevin Steele, LSU (the same Kevin Steele that now coaches Auburn’s dominant defense).

#69- Will Muschamp, Auburn

#38- Lance Anderson, Stanford (his defenses at Stanford are almost always top notch)

#47- Bud Foster, (the legend) Virginia Tech

#37- Manny Diaz, Mississippi St. (he is now the DC of a top 20 Defense at Miami this past year).

#56- Ted Roof, Georgia Tech ( he is now the new DC at NC State).

#80- Vic Koenning, Troy (*disclaimer, it was Koenning’s first year at Troy)

#35- Gene Chizik, North Carolina

#71- Jim Leavitt, Colorado (now the DC at Oregon).

DCs are always punching bags for fans and scapegoats for head coaches. I’m liking the hire, more and more.

Here’s more stats to chew on.

Everyone rips VanGorder as a failure in his 3 years at Notre Dame as DC. If you take the middle year (2015) at ND for reference....

Van Gorder’s Defense that year finished 34th in the Nation in points allowed at 22.4. Here’s a list of Defensive Coordinators that finished the year ranked below BVG’s. (Some, way below).

#44- Kevin Steele, LSU (the same Kevin Steele that now coaches Auburn’s dominant defense).

#69- Will Muschamp, Auburn

#38- Lance Anderson, Stanford (his defenses at Stanford are almost always top notch)

#47- Bud Foster, (the legend) Virginia Tech

#37- Manny Diaz, Mississippi St. (he is now the DC of a top 20 Defense at Miami this past year).

#56- Ted Roof, Georgia Tech ( he is now the new DC at NC State).

#80- Vic Koenning, Troy (*disclaimer, it was Koenning’s first year at Troy)

#35- Gene Chizik, North Carolina

#71- Jim Leavitt, Colorado (now the DC at Oregon).

DCs are always punching bags for fans and scapegoats for head coaches. I’m liking the hire, more and more.

BVG cost ND a shot at the playoffs that year. He is terrible. Look at the talent on that 2015 defense and you'll wonder how the hell they weren't one of the top 5 units in the country:

Jaylon Smith, LB - would have been a top 3-5 pick in the draft before injury. Criminally misused/underused by BVG. Still went in the 2nd round

Sheldon Day, DT - 4th round draft pick of the Jaguars

Keivarae Russell, CB - 3rd rd draft pick of the Chiefs

Mathias Farley - UFA of the Colts, made team, gets solid backup and ST minutes

Romeo Okwara - UFA of the Giants, a sleeper that's seen as a future starter for them

Isaac Rochell, DE (was really a DT, used out of position by BVG the entire time) - 7th round draft pick of the Chargers who made the team

James Onwualu - UFA of the Chargers, made team

Cole Luke - UFA of the Panthers, made team

Reactions: wilkie01
One season not a coach make, yoda

Yea, he has multiple historically bad defenses, all of recent vintage. His good defenses were over a decade ago and before the rise of modern spread offenses. He stresses scheme over fundamentals. So much time is spent on scheme that they don't have time for practicing basics, which is necessary in college football. He simply cannot handle hurry up offenses.

BVG cost ND a shot at the playoffs that year. He is terrible. Look at the talent on that 2015 defense and you'll wonder how the hell they weren't one of the top 5 units in the country:

Jaylon Smith, LB - would have been a top 3-5 pick in the draft before injury. Criminally misused/underused by BVG. Still went in the 2nd round

Sheldon Day, DT - 4th round draft pick of the Jaguars

Keivarae Russell, CB - 3rd rd draft pick of the Chiefs

Mathias Farley - UFA of the Colts, made team, gets solid backup and ST minutes

Romeo Okwara - UFA of the Giants, a sleeper that's seen as a future starter for them

Isaac Rochell, DE (was really a DT, used out of position by BVG the entire time) - 7th round draft pick of the Chargers who made the team

James Onwualu - UFA of the Chargers, made team

Cole Luke - UFA of the Panthers, made team
Congrats on your AllStar Undrafted Free Agent Team. VanGorder was a scapegoat for the pudgy red faced Irish gnome who keeps his job by being mediocre.

I heard this as well I think it’s a solid hire as of now. We’ll see how it turns out.

I agree. I listened to VanGorder on the radio and he sounds like he really likes working with Bobby and was very enthusiastic. He has a ton of experience (including NFL DC) and has a fiery energetic personality on the field. Good recruiter, apparently, although i have no idea if he has ties to where we traditionally recruit.

I am content with the hire given everything, and in fact I think it may even be a very good hire. We'll have to see. Hopefully fans realize this year's defense will be very inexperienced and won't be flying planes over PJCS to have him fired after the Alabama game.

Last edited:
Yea, he has multiple historically bad defenses, all of recent vintage. His good defenses were over a decade ago and before the rise of modern spread offenses. He stresses scheme over fundamentals. So much time is spent on scheme that they don't have time for practicing basics, which is necessary in college football. He simply cannot handle hurry up offenses.

Sounds like Grantham, which I've heard comparisons to. Still, let's see how it goes.

Brian-Van-Gorder-Uncle-Rico.jpg

2014 was the year of the devastating injuries. we finished the season with like 8 starters with season ending injuries on defense. Vangorder was fired after the 4th game of the third season. His defense was the worse in ND history at the time of his termination. It rebounded to finish 51st in the country after his departure.

Well for context....also Brian Kelly Fired Him after 4 games as DC @ Notre Dame...

Expected to be a huge hire for Gene Chizik in 2012 at Auburn, VanGorder lasted only the one season with the Tigers, as he was let go along with Chizik at the end of the season. The Tigers defense struggled mightily that season, giving up 420.5 yards per game, ranking 81st in the country.

From 2001-04, VanGorder served as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for Georgia until accepting a job with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2005. He would then go onto become the head coach at Georgia Southern for one season before accepting a job with the Atlanta Falcons.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/r...oordinator-louisville/It6vD6xkL4GvKaUCs9ZkiL/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT