ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino has a lot to answer for.

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
88 yards of total offense halfway through the 3rd qrt is unacceptable. There is simply no excuse for this performance. There hasn't been any adjustments at all. This is the same OL that played against FSU and Clemson. LSU is a great defense but they're not being forced to think about anything other than Jackson.

Reactions: beasleythecard
A little more swirl with the ice cream.Help these guys out with trying to keep the defense just a little more off balance.If you've got Dallas' offensive line,you can be vanilla if you want.

Might be going out on a limb here but I'm afraid people on here are starting to get the idea that you are not exactly a fan of our offensive line coach.
Showing my age here, but it's like buying a vinyl record with the same song cut five times on each side. I may not hate the artist, but I'm starting to hate the song...

:D

Reactions: Louisvillian
Showing my age here, but it's like buying a vinyl record with the same song cut five times on each side. I may not hate the artist, but I'm starting to hate the song...

:D
Agree. Love me some Beas but jeezzz.

Might be going out on a limb here but I'm afraid people on here are starting to get the idea that you are not exactly a fan of our offensive line coach.
I am starting to think card fans and coaches do not realize just how important the offensive line is to any football team.

maybe I should stick my head in the sand and not care either about the abysmal product we are putting on the field.

how do you not care so much, give me some pointers on how to look at this team suck so bad and not care like you do.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I am starting to think card fans and coaches do not realize just how important the offensive line is to any football team.

maybe I should stick my head in the sand and not care either about the abysmal product we are putting on the field.

how do you not care so much, give me some pointers on how to look at this team suck so bad and not care like you do.
Point 1 - This team has bigger issues presently than one position group.
Point 2 - NOT agreeing with you does not mean the rest of us don't care or are oblivious to the situation.

I think most casual fans know that the offensive line is important. And I think they realize that our offensive line was really bad the past two years. But I think most fans also realize Petrino didn't just fall off a turnip truck. He has to and will make adjustments. There was a disconnect between the type of lineman we recruited and the change in system he went all-in on at the end of last season. Plus for whatever reason recruiting o-line wasn't a Charlie Strong strength so the cupboard was pretty bare in terms of good upperclassmen.

Reactions: wilkie01
I think most casual fans know that the offensive line is important. And I think they realize that our offensive line was really bad the past two years. But I think most fans also realize Petrino didn't just fall off a turnip truck. He has to and will make adjustments. There was a disconnect between the type of lineman we recruited and the change in system he went all-in on at the end of last season. Plus for whatever reason recruiting o-line wasn't a Charlie Strong strength so the cupboard was pretty bare in terms of good upperclassmen.
The line has been a problem even since Charlie was the coach. I agree everything said above except the first statement. We have been playing better competition as of late and it has exposed the fact that we lack O-line talent. This is not the big east or AAC. When a guy who was a walk on starts at a position on the o-line for nearly 4 years you have problems. We had some good ones under Charlie but the collective group was not good. I also think that the o-line is not our only problem as well.

Plus for whatever reason recruiting o-line wasn't a Charlie Strong strength so the cupboard was pretty bare
charlie strong never had offensive linemen falling down and looking like a middle school line either.

Howard Schnellenberger never recruited offensive linemen.

so in 3 years we cant find competent linemen is your defense for the moron in charge? really?

Point 1 - This team has bigger issues presently than one position group.
if we had the same exact line western kentucky had this season, we would be playing alabama.

2. the offensive line is the heart and soul of your football team. That is why a rookie QB can lead the Dallas Cowboys to a championship. They understand the importance of the offensive line.

you can run the ball----- resting your defense- decreasing the chance of injury, and you set up the big play, not depend on it.

It's hyperbolic and foolish statements like this one that keep you from gaining any respect as a poster on this board.

That, and your Johnny One Note routine...
no, this is where stats come in and make the full argument.
just to help you out, one team finished with 47 sacks allowed, and it was not the team from western kentucky.

one team faced Alabama and scored a touchdown. one couldnt scratch its own hind parts against LSU. One team ran the ball with running backs and one had a qb run for his life.
one won its bowl game, and the other looked like it was its first game of the season.

how about you debunk stats with stats instead of your love for mediocre football.

126 out of 128 teams on the oline sir.
that dog will not hunt no matter how much you dislike me.

charlie strong never had offensive linemen falling down and looking like a middle school line either.

Howard Schnellenberger never recruited offensive linemen.

so in 3 years we cant find competent linemen is your defense for the moron in charge? really?

You really should read things more closely before posting. If out of my post all you got was that I was defending the current staff in saying Strong's o line recruiting sucked, then you have a bad case of tunnel vision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Louisvillian

Just because I don't add "Klenakis sucks" to every post I make, means I don't care about Louisville Football?

At halftime of the Citrus Bowl I would have been all in favor of going max-protect for the rest of the game. 2 Tight Ends, 1 Wideout, a Fullback and a Running back in just to make sure we got out of there with our Heisman Trophy winner in one piece. That's how much I care.

The Offensive line play at the end of the year was awful and every single UofL fan has noticed. It is just one of many problems plaguing this team right now including receivers running lazy routes, players fighting amongst themselves, dropped passes, bad tackling, bad adjustments by the coaches on both sides etc... Lots of work to do for next year.

Last edited:
no, this is where stats come in and make the full argument.
just to help you out, one team finished with 47 sacks allowed, and it was not the team from western kentucky.

one team faced Alabama and scored a touchdown. one couldnt scratch its own hind parts against LSU. One team ran the ball with running backs and one had a qb run for his life.
one won its bowl game, and the other looked like it was its first game of the season.

how about you debunk stats with stats instead of your love for mediocre football.

126 out of 128 teams on the oline sir.
that dog will not hunt no matter how much you dislike me.
UofL averaged more points, more total yards and, 75 more yards rushing per game (including the subtraction of the sack yardage) than WKU did. All while playing in the ACC - not C-USA.

I'm not knocking WKU or, praising our OL (or anyone on the offense short of LJ or Hikitini) but to suggest that WKU had a playoff championship caliber OL is simply an uninformed and goofy comment.

Btw, given that I don't know you, I don't dislike you. Perhaps if I did - I would but I will say your incessant need to belittle college kids for not achieving up to your standards - things that you couldn't accomplish in the wettest of your dreams - is annoying. I don't think I'm alone in that thought either FWIW.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
Poverty and cancer will BOTH be eliminated once Klenakis is canned...

Reactions: Kratz
If you're Petrino, I don't see how you don't fire Klenakis. This is a results only profession, and he simply doesn't produce. He's a good recruiter, but the guy can't coach the OL. It's an incredible ode to LJ's physical abilities that he won the Heisman despite horrific OL play.

If you're Petrino, I don't see how you don't fire Klenakis...
This point has been mentioned but not really discussed...You're expecting that the guy (Petrino) who just promoted Klenakis to turn around within a year and fire him. And I ask anyone to think about their own jobs and work situations. How often does that happen in a manager-subordinate relationship outside of some type of misbehavior or law/policy/rule violation? It really doesn't. Managers are firmly committed to people below them that they have fostered. (The opposite is also true.)

This may not be fair, and some may not consider it to be a good counterargument. But it's reality. The only way I see Klenakis' job being at risk is either (1) Petrino is different and some would say more ruthless than most mangers, or (2) the decision is being made above him; that is, Jurich is demanding it. For Petrino to fire Klenakis of his own choosing, he's admitting he made a big mistake last year. Petrino is rightfully saying that this situation--late season swoon--is on him, but I don't expect him to say that promoting Klenakis in 2016 was a huge mistake...

Not exactly apples to apples, but it is pretty common to see AD's give coaches a raise and extension and then turn around and fire them the next year.

Again, does he have to be fired? Re-assignment is also an option due to his recruiting and other valuable things I'm sure adds to the program. Keep him as co OC and whatever else, but take away OL coaching from him.

However, it's not unprecedented to fire someone early on. What was the name of the OC Charlie fired half way through his first season?

If CBP is the CEO of the Cardinal Football program he needs to conduct a thorough review of each department under his direction. He needs to look at position performance and results while considering such things as injuries and other player hardships. When looking at the O-line department I just don't see how he could find any real positives to build on. The guy in charge of that department has failed to achieve even moderate results (based on performance data) for two years in a row. I really don't know much about Klenakis or what other attributes he brings to the party but clearly he hasn't achieved the desired results or even anything close to the desired results. This issue has to be addressed and there has to be some accountability. Hopefully that will be done in whatever form CBP and TJ deem appropriate.

I'd like suggested something else. I understand that CBP is considered and offensive genius although I think many of us would question that statement at this point in time. I believe we should hire a true offensive coordinator with a proven track record who can bring some new ideas to our offensive and who can also act as a sounding board for CBP to bounce his ideas off of. There's always danger when the only voice you listen to is your own and it really seems as if this team could use some additional input.

I'm a big Petrino fan, but I agree 100% that this rests with him. IT MAY BE HIM.

But I wouldn't get my hopes up that you're going to see anyone taking over more of the offense from Petrino. That's a big part of why the guy is coaching at this point and at U of L. He is the de facto offensive coordinator and everything that comes with that...

If CBP is the CEO of the Cardinal Football program he needs to conduct a thorough review of each department under his direction. He needs to look at position performance and results while considering such things as injuries and other player hardships. When looking at the O-line department I just don't see how he could find any real positives to build on. The guy in charge of that department has failed to achieve even moderate results (based on performance data) for two years in a row. I really don't know much about Klenakis or what other attributes he brings to the party but clearly he hasn't achieved the desired results or even anything close to the desired results. This issue has to be addressed and there has to be some accountability. Hopefully that will be done in whatever form CBP and TJ deem appropriate.

I'd like suggested something else. I understand that CBP is considered and offensive genius although I think many of us would question that statement at this point in time. I believe we should hire a true offensive coordinator with a proven track record who can bring some new ideas to our offensive and who can also act as a sounding board for CBP to bounce his ideas off of. There's always danger when the only voice you listen to is your own and it really seems as if this team could use some additional input.
This is the best ive read on this site in a long while.

I keep checking back here, the papers, local news, everywhere, but I still cannot find where Petrino has answered for anything. The reason for that is he does not have to.

Empty seats and 7 losses will speak for him.

Sounds like a fair weather fan to me which surprises no one. Not scoring enough points, D giving up too many points, too many losses, I am just staying home. No, no, really, I swear I am not a fair weather fan. I am just effecting change by protesting to force CBP to make a change in coaches. Sound familiar? The Minnesota football team tried it and it was equally stupid then.

Support the team/school, or don't. I can guess which one you will choose.

Reactions: watchem
Sounds like a fair weather fan to me which surprises no one. Not scoring enough points, D giving up too many points, too many losses, I am just staying home. No, no, really, I swear I am not a fair weather fan. I am just effecting change by protesting to force CBP to make a change in coaches. Sound familiar? The Minnesota football team tried it and it was equally stupid then.

Support the team/school, or don't. I can guess which one you will choose.
I wish i could not care like so many here and just stick my head deep in sand. But i can not. We have some major issues on this team. Ignore them all you wish. Make fun of me i dont care, but if the problems are simply ignored, we will have a lot of loses

And to make it clear to fans like you. That is called an assesment.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
UofL averaged more points, more total yards and, 75 more yards rushing per game (including the subtraction of the sack yardage) than WKU did. All while playing in the ACC - not C-USA.

I'm not knocking WKU or, praising our OL (or anyone on the offense short of LJ or Hikitini) but to suggest that WKU had a playoff championship caliber OL is simply an uninformed and goofy comment.

Btw, given that I don't know you, I don't dislike you. Perhaps if I did - I would but I will say your incessant need to belittle college kids for not achieving up to your standards - things that you couldn't accomplish in the wettest of your dreams - is annoying. I don't think I'm alone in that thought either FWIW.
How many sacks did wku surrender to alabama? How many did we surrender to clemson, houston, and UK?
I rest my case.

I wish i could not care like so many here and just stick my head deep in sand. But i can not. We have some major issues on this team. Ignore them all you wish. Make fun of me i dont care, but if the problems are simply ignored, we will have a lot of loses

And to make it clear to fans like you. That is called an assesment.

You are a selfish little man. You only care about how the team makes YOU feel. Support them, or don't. We all assess our team, but most of us choose to support them, even after a horrible 9-4 season and the school's first Heisman. I have many questions about what happened, but this is not the dark years. Quit being so dramatic.

Reactions: Mayoman and BPGhost
How many sacks did wku surrender to alabama? How many did we surrender to clemson, houston, and UK?
I rest my case.
Q: How many sacks did wku give up to alabama?
A: 4
Q: How many sacks did we give up to FSU?
A: 1
Q: Which team led CFB in sacks?
A: FSU (51)
Q: Do these 3 questions relate to one another and can an intelligent person extrapolate anything meaningful by comparing the answers?
A: Absolutely freaking not.

Welcome, welcome ladies and gentlemen, and children of all ages - to mrs.beasley's house of false analogies!

Reactions: zipp
4 sacks to alabama and we surrendered 11 to Houston.

Sacks allowed we wete bottom 3 in the country.

So while you are trying to make a crusade against my name, i am speaking about our team.

No matter how you slice it, we are in dier straights with our offensive and defensive lines.

If it is not addressed we will have no improvement on an offensive line that only 2 other teams in football gave up less sacks.

Being in the bottom 3 of sacks allowed does not me happy.

Being in the bottom 3 of sacks allowed makes me question the coaching and personell.

Defensively, we can not pressure the qb unless we blitz. It wears our team out. We lack depth and blitzing every down our 4th quarter conditioning comes into question.

This team needs linemen if you want to acknowledge that or not.

If grantham and klenakis continue to ignore it, we will have an extremely bad season.

How you dont understand that baffles me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT