ADVERTISEMENT

Payne to Arkansas

I have zero respect for him. He treated this job like he was semi-retired. Can’t even say a simple thank you as he rides off with $8M. And then goes running back to Coach Cal. Joke is ultimately on us but he’s an absolute embarrassment. I’m done with the “he’s a nice guy” bullshit.

I can't really disagree with any of the comments here, but I prefer to take Kelsey's approach -- Kenny is a former Card (just like the others from his era who some people may have other concerns about), and so he is still part of the Cardinal family and welcome back anytime. We'll have a 40-year reunion for the 1986 team in a couple of years, and Kenny and everyone else should all feel welcome.

And hey, how about a 50-year reunion of the 1975 Final Four team this coming season?! And a 20-year reunion this coming season for the 2005 team, bring 'em all back.

There's been a divide for a long time and it was hoped hiring Payne was going to help bridge that at the least and maybe even fix it if he was a success.

Feels like it's even worse now. It's as if some of them hate the fans and the school, and have for a long time.

I don't expect too much warm and fuzzy from the 70s/80s era. Payne's last presser sounded like he was speaking for the angry guys and he was one of 'em too really. He just treated this job in such a weird way but ok!

And if we can't get RP back into the building to celebrate his era then there's the elephant in the room on that era too.

Payne does look pretty silly following Cal around. Then again the industry is silly so he's fitting in.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Kenny Payne's contract with the Arkansas basketball team is for $900,000 per year, which is believed to be the largest ever signed by a Razorbacks assistant coach.

Reactions: rh62531
We don’t owe Crum’s old players diddly (except Grif & Bridgeman). So many of them seem to hate the city, program, and school. We have bent over backwards for them and they still spit in our face. Rick may not come back but at least his players seem to still love it here. Time to move on.

We don’t owe Crum’s old players diddly (except Grif & Bridgeman). So many of them seem to hate the city, program, and school. We have bent over backwards for them and they still spit in our face. Rick may not come back but at least his players seem to still love it here. Time to move on.
I am going to respectfully disagree on players from Denny's era. IIRC many were shunted aside by CRP when he took over and felt marginalized by the program. It was like nothing that had come before had never happened, reminiscent of the old Soviet Union whenever there was a change in leadership.

It is time to move on. We need every hand on deck to help right the ship and restore it to its previous glory. L1C4!

Reactions: Mayoman
I am going to respectfully disagree on players from Denny's era. IIRC many were shunted aside by CRP when he took over and felt marginalized by the program. It was like nothing that had come before had never happened, reminiscent of the old Soviet Union whenever there was a change in leadership.

It is time to move on. We need every hand on deck to help right the ship and restore it to its previous glory. L1C4!
Pitino has been gone for what - 8 years? Mack et al made public pronouncements welcoming them back and yet none did until it was time to voice approval for Payne. Now it seems - there are some butthurt about him being fired.

Welcome them back? Sure. Beg them to be a part of it? No thanks.

Pitino has been gone for what - 8 years? Mack et al made public pronouncements welcoming them back and yet none did until it was time to voice approval for Payne. Now it seems - there are some butthurt about him being fired.

Welcome them back? Sure. Beg them to be a part of it? No thanks.
I am beyond begging any of them to do anything. If any of the KP apologists have a case of butt hurt, so be it. Maybin, Eaves, Beard, et al got their wish with KP and the record speaks volumes. They burned far too many bridges in the process to again be taken seriously.

OTOH I was encouraged by the number of former players from all eras present for CPK's introduction. That resonated more with me than the aforementioned malcontents.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT