ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Coach “Prime”…

BPGhost

6000+
Jun 23, 2015
I remember Petrino being able crucified by the national media for asking that kid (who ended up at weak forest) to simply gray shirt.

This is an excerpt from a story in The Athletic.

Carson Mott had a feeling this was coming.

The three-star defensive end from Simi Valley (Calif.) High School committed to Colorado in June. But as soon as he logged onto social media and saw the footage of Deion Sanders all but begging the current Colorado players to hit the transfer portal so he could bring in his own prospects, Mott deduced where this was headed.

“I mean, you saw the interview. He’s ‘bringing his luggage’ in his ‘Louis,’” Mott said, paraphrasing Sanders’ speech. “And I guess I didn’t fit the description of what he wanted. … I had a feeling that my commitment wasn’t going to be honored.”

Mott’s intuition was right. He tweeted Dec. 5 that Sanders and his new staff had elected to not honor his commitment — 16 days prior to the beginning of the early signing period.

“It was hectic,” Mott said. “It was a huge mess. I actually never got contacted by Deion or any of his new (on-field) staff. I got called. They told me that coach Deion didn’t want to honor my commitment and hung up the phone. I was in a group chat with all the other commits and they were all I guess freaking out, too, because a lot of us had our options closed for months now being committed to Colorado. So we hadn’t reached out to any school. It was a whole big deal.”

Mott said his phone call came from Colorado’s assistant director of player personnel/scouting, D.J. Bryant. About three days later, Gerald Chatman, Colorado’s defensive coordinator and defensive line coach in 2022, called to check in on him, given the relationship the two had built during the recruiting process.

Mott, the nation’s No. 974 prospect and No. 92 edge rusher in the 247Sports Composite, said he committed to Colorado because he loved the location of the school — he’s an avid outdoorsman — and developed a close relationship with the coaching staff and players.

Now that Sanders has stripped his scholarship offer, Mott is about to go through the recruiting process for the third time.

If I had to bet, I’d say sanders is a huge bust but if that’s how it plays out, there’s no question that it’ll be everyone else’s fault but his.

Prime has something Bobby never had- personality, charm, a presence. It’s a gift. But, Deion will fail at Colorado. Everyone sees it.

Louisville was/is always the Villain when it comes to the National media (even local media). We had a bunch of bad luck intertwined with strange circumstances, so it was easy for them to pile on.

Reactions: Lamar Card
Prime is going to be a casualty of the Pac12. Just like the Big 12 no one plays any defense. Even when USC was in its prime they couldn’t stop a anybody from marching down the field. He may bring in “his guys” on offense but we will see what shakes out on the defensive side of the ball.There is a reason teams from the pac 12 that make the CFP but get blown out.

The thing about Deion it is all about Deion. He is good enough with PR to always get his message out. Because of who he is the media will take it hook-line-sinker.

He is going to land a bunch of players and the PAC 12 isn’t that good. Keep in mind he doesn’t have to be great just good i.e see Mel Tucker.

i guess i'm on the opposite end of things. i think he's going to win there. and then he's going to be in the sec within 5 years. and he's going to win in the sec too. DS is a legend. he's IT when it comes to football. he's jordan. if CO puts up any NIL money he'll win the pac12 this year or next year. he's the most charismatic guy in football. and guess what, he's a black coach getting an opportunity. that means something to a lto of people. and there's have been a 100x white guys getting jobs they didn't deserve. DS didn't get a top job first, he started at an HBCU.
besides the players he's going to bring in, when he wins, he's going to elevate a lot of other coaches. and since he's been coaching, i'm pretty sure his record is outstanding so cannot understand why anyone thinks he won't win. and show me any coach who doesn't think it's all about themsleves. saban is all about saban. jb is all about jb. etc etc etc. they love the spotlight, all of them. why is it even about him if his teams are winning. andfas it concerns the original post, no coach should have to honor a scholarship for a player who signed with the previously fired coach. if he's not a fit, why you you keep a kid for a system where he wouldn't get played? DS was honest and said put your name in the portal, but he didn't say he wouldn'ty give them the opportunity to stay. but being truthful to the kids, it should be that way now. coaching changes should allow everyone to leave. and now the transfer rule had made that 100% possible, where before kids were indentured servants to where they signed.

Reactions: Williedynamite
i guess i'm on the opposite end of things. i think he's going to win there. and then he's going to be in the sec within 5 years. and he's going to win in the sec too. DS is a legend. he's IT when it comes to football. he's jordan. if CO puts up any NIL money he'll win the pac12 this year or next year. he's the most charismatic guy in football. and guess what, he's a black coach getting an opportunity. that means something to a lto of people. and there's have been a 100x white guys getting jobs they didn't deserve. DS didn't get a top job first, he started at an HBCU.
besides the players he's going to bring in, when he wins, he's going to elevate a lot of other coaches. and since he's been coaching, i'm pretty sure his record is outstanding so cannot understand why anyone thinks he won't win. and show me any coach who doesn't think it's all about themsleves. saban is all about saban. jb is all about jb. etc etc etc. they love the spotlight, all of them. why is it even about him if his teams are winning. andfas it concerns the original post, no coach should have to honor a scholarship for a player who signed with the previously fired coach. if he's not a fit, why you you keep a kid for a system where he wouldn't get played? DS was honest and said put your name in the portal, but he didn't say he wouldn'ty give them the opportunity to stay. but being truthful to the kids, it should be that way now. coaching changes should allow everyone to leave. and now the transfer rule had made that 100% possible, where before kids were indentured servants to where they signed.
The guy is a complete jackass and proves it every time he opens his mouth.

Lol - “he’s Jordan”.

Lol - “he’s Jordan”.
he's jordan in that all the kids look up to him and think he's the best. name another ex-football player with as much street cred than DS. sad you simply hate the man for no reason.

Lol - “he’s Jordan”.
and in case you forgot who he was and what he accomplished,, in some ways he eclipsed jordan, so again, why do you hate him so much, it's not because he's been one of the most successful athletes in history, not sure why you are jealous of him, but he is on the same level as jordan if not higher. jordan tried to play 2 sports, DS was good/great/oustanding at two sports. so sorry you;ve got that inward hate towards him, it's irrational of course. but hey, hate on a man you don;t know. and
Deion Luwynn Sanders Sr. (born August 9, 1967) is an American football coach and former player who is the head football coach at the University of Colorado Boulder. Nicknamed "Prime Time", he played in the National Football League (NFL) for 14 seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, San Francisco 49ers, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins, and Baltimore Ravens. Sanders was also a baseball outfielder for nine seasons in Major League Baseball (MLB) with the New York Yankees, Atlanta Braves, Cincinnati Reds, and San Francisco Giants. He won two Super Bowl titles and made one World Series appearance in 1992, making him the only athlete to play in both a Super Bowl and a World Series.

Sanders played college football at Florida State, where he won the Jim Thorpe Award as a senior. He was selected by the Falcons fifth overall in the 1989 NFL Draft and played football primarily at cornerback, while also making appearances as kick returner, punt returner, and wide receiver. During his career, he was named to eight Pro Bowls, received six first-team All-Pros, and made consecutive Super Bowl appearances in Super Bowl XXIX with the 49ers and Super Bowl XXX with the Cowboys, winning both. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame in 2011.

After retiring as a player, Sanders pursued a sports analyst and coaching career. He served as the head football coach at Jackson State University from 2020 to 2022, leading the team to two consecutive Celebration Bowl appearances and the first undefeated regular season in school history. Near the end of the 2022 season, Sanders was named the head football coach at Colorado.

and BTW, only Bo Jackson is/was a greater athlete then DS. greater than jordan for sure, both of them. When you can dominate two sports you're better than a athlete than one who can only dominate one. but DS surpassed jordan for sure

he's jordan in that all the kids look up to him and think he's the best. name another ex-football player with as much street cred than DS. sad you simply hate the man for no reason.
First of all - that's a silly statement that "all the kids look up to him and think he's the best". I mean look no further that those 13 kids who committed to CU as evidence - pretty sure that they - nor the other existing CU players that were told to hit the road to make room for his "louis" luggage - don't look up to him at all.

How does one measure "street cred"? You'll have to bring me up to speed on that formula - and how it turns into championships. As memory serves, a big selling point for Kenny Payne was all of the street cred that he brought - how has that worked out for us?

Lastly, I don't hate Deion Sanders - that's another silly statement. I don't know the guy and newsflash - neither do you. That said, I am certainly free to say that in my judgment, his words and actions are consistent with that of a self-promoting jackass. Sorry if that got you all into your feels...

Reactions: arky tigwer
and BTW, only Bo Jackson is/was a greater athlete then DS. greater than jordan for sure, both of them. When you can dominate two sports you're better than a athlete than one who can only dominate one. but DS surpassed jordan for sure
Sanders was a marginal baseball player - to suggest anything more than that would be demonstrating a lack of knowledge about the sport. He continued to get opportunities to play more because his celebrity sold tickets than anything that he did consistently on the field or, at the plate.

Conversations like "who was a better athlete" are fun because there is no objectively correct answer. That said, to suggest that either Sanders or Bo Jackson were better at the sports they played than arguably the GOAT in professional basketball is comical. Who knows where Jackson might have ended up without the injuries but there isn't a rational person on the planet that would suggest that he or Sanders were at the same level in even football as Jordan was in basketball. Sanders is correctly considered one of the best DBs to ever play in the NFL - that's a far cry from being considered as the best ever to play the sport.

and in case you forgot who he was and what he accomplished,, in some ways he eclipsed jordan, so again, why do you hate him so much, it's not because he's been one of the most successful athletes in history, not sure why you are jealous of him, but he is on the same level as jordan if not higher. jordan tried to play 2 sports, DS was good/great/oustanding at two sports. so sorry you;ve got that inward hate towards him, it's irrational of course. but hey, hate on a man you don;t know.
I watched Deion play both in college and the pros - so I'm very familiar with what he accomplished. That said, you apparently missed the point of the thread - as it doesn't have the first thing to do with what he did as a player. All the droning on about his exploits as a player doesn't have the first damn thing to do with they way that he has conducted himself as a coach - which again was the point of the thread.

And continuing to suggest that I "hate" or am 'jealous" of someone that I don't know is beyond sophmoric.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT