ADVERTISEMENT

Onuaku Turning Into

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
an outspoken leader on the team.

As Onuaku's talent grows, so, too, does his confidence. He commands the ball from his teammates now. He shouts out instructions from the middle of the 2-3 matchup zone.

At one point Thursday, he was supposed to be walking to the scorer's table to check in as a substitution, but instead he stood next to Pitino and directed his teammates through a defensive possession.

It's a new 'Nanu. And as long as he keeps playing the way he has the past four games -- and in spurts earlier this season -- Louisville will take it, especially if he grows into the leader role left void by injured big man Mangok Mathiang.

"His voice is deep," freshman guard Donovan Mitchell said. "You hear everything he has to say. He’s kind of like that teacher you don’t want to let down. ... He’s a really good leader.”

Nice, and all very true. He and JJ are sub 20 year olds, if memory serves, both young and playing the game at a continually higher level. We have watched Nanu accept his big body and build on it, developing that ridiculous drop step down low now for the facial dunkenstein, lol. His development is reminding us all of Gorgui's sophomore season - and he is surpassing that. Turns out Rick was right yet again in calling him our most intelligent ballplayer. Nanu has a somewhat natural coaching gene. After losing Mangok, I cannot possible think of a better development for us.

It's not so hard analyzing these improvements forced upon us with the injury to Mangok. We can honestly be said to have gained from it - by virtue of necessity and nothing else. But those are the pressures a Band of Brothers work to overcome. This is also where the great team chemistry plays a role.

That game made us realize our expectations beginning the season with this all new cast has a possibility............an Nanu is leading the charge.

The sad part about all this.....now the NBA comes calling the young man. Maybe this young man needs the money. But I'm one of those that believes you leave with a degree in hand. You never know what curve life is going to throw you.

There is a good chance he will go pro but I agree with Senore, he is where Gorgui was at this stage in his career. If he is smart enough to follow the same path as Gorgui he won't leave too early. This also means he would make more money and he wouldn't get cut early or end up in Europe. The NBA is a tough place for big men not to mention the length of the season being harder on rookies.

There is a good chance he will go pro but I agree with Senore, he is where Gorgui was at this stage in his career. If he is smart enough to follow the same path as Gorgui he won't leave too early. This also means he would make more money and he wouldn't get cut early or end up in Europe. The NBA is a tough place for big men not to mention the length of the season being harder on rookies.
If Nanu can cut down on the two really bad fouls he gets a game the sky is the limit in college. I don't see him anywhere on a 2016 mock NBA draft so he will be here another year. Even with as well as he's playing right now I don't see him being anywhere near ready for the NBA.

Reactions: zgrasshopper
Shooting the underhanded free-throws shows that he can be a leader. He is doing what he believes to be right despite that it may look silly or foolish in the eyes of others. He knows that the others' opinions don't amount to a hill of beans.

If Nanu can cut down on the two really bad fouls he gets a game the sky is the limit in college. I don't see him anywhere on a 2016 mock NBA draft so he will be here another year. Even with as well as he's playing right now I don't see him being anywhere near ready for the NBA.
I don't know where he is now, but he was projected as a late first rounder preseason. I thought I heard recently that he is still being projected around there.

There's no guarantee that he will be around another year.

I hope he stays but with the way he is playing right now it's going to be a close call IMO. Not to mention the NBA drafts a lot on potential and Nanu's is through the roof.

I see a little Hakeem Olajuon in him. Dream was one of my favorite big men of all time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT