ADVERTISEMENT

Objective Opinions Please

Dec 28, 2015
How much do you expect LJ to have improved in the passing game---footwork, reading defenses, decision making, accuracy, technique etc---after having a spring practice, summer drills and fall camp?

Well, of course, we'll know a lot more after the FSU game on Sept. 17th. But with that being said, I believe he will have improved enough to have the national pundits discussing him as one of the top qbs in all of college football. Apparently he has become a better student of the game and has impressed the staff with his improvements in every facet of the position. But I'm just a little biased.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Objectivity might be hard to come by, lol. And I am also speaking for myself. He made a couple of winning audible calls during the bowl game which showed us all perhaps a faster learner than we had thought. With a summer of throwing to Quick and the guys he will develop the chemistry which can be an intangible component in building something special. I trust that we all know he will be better in every phase and I darn sure know we all hope he does not lose the quickness and insane speed which was the underpinning of his success.

We will know how good he will be when he encounters FSU pass defense. Once he runs up against some smart and shady operators who lurk and jink a young QB, how he reacts to that will determine most of the year to follow.

Objectivity might be hard to come by, lol. And I am also speaking for myself. He made a couple of winning audible calls during the bowl game which showed us all perhaps a faster learner than we had thought. With a summer of throwing to Quick and the guys he will develop the chemistry which can be an intangible component in building something special. I trust that we all know he will be better in every phase and I darn sure know we all hope he does not lose the quickness and insane speed which was the underpinning of his success.

We will know how good he will be when he encounters FSU pass defense. Once he runs up against some smart and shady operators who lurk and jink a young QB, how he reacts to that will determine most of the year to follow.

Petrino is expecting him to improve a lot, he said so publically the other day. You gotta love that.

Objectivity?

From a fan message board?

:p:p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;););););););)

Objectively, I'll wait and see. He may improve.. He may have a Sophomore slump. He may just be crazy exciting again. He may get killed and we can worry about how much KB has improved.

Subjectively, I think CBP will work his magic.

He has a cannon for a right arm but as we all know, he hasn't been very accurate. If he can improve on his accuracy, then he will be in the hunt for the Heisman IF the Cards manage to upset Florida State and still be undefeated when they travel to Clemson.

Lots of if's.

Last edited:
He put up 1,840 yards through the air and 960 on the ground last year in 10 games. 12 TD/8Ints. 11 rushing TDs. 2,800 yards of total offense.

I don't expect a massive leap in the total yards stats. I would simply like to see him read defenses better and cut down on the ints.

Realistically I would like to see his passing yards per game go from 184 to around 225 and see his rushing yards go down to around 50-60 but I will be most interested to see if his completion % rises. We were spoiled by Teddy and his amazing accuracy and Lamar's isn't terrible at 55% but you would like to see that get above 60%.

So 2,700 passing yards/660 rushing yards = 3,360 total yards. Which is only 560 total yards more than last year. I would like to see his passing TDs go up to at least 20. His rushing TDs might remain around 8-10 area because he's such a weapon in goal line/short yardage situations so he'll probably score half of his rushing TDs inside the 20 yard line.

I'm curious to see how well he's came as a passer and at reading and understanding defenses. With the WR/TE group he has if the OLine can give him time to throw then he could easily throw for over 3,000 yards and 25 TDs...but I'm not expecting that much advancement in one off season.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
He came to UofL with a HUGE arm but pretty raw as a polished passer/QB. Aside from his running skill he has great ball skill which seems to go unnoticed. IMO, he "improved" considerably as a QB during the bowl practices. He had an enormous spring game even considering the 1 vs 2 format. It is really about his personal motivation, dedication and ability to learn the game because talent and coaching will not be a problem. JMO

Peace

The bigger question may be "How good is the O-line expected to be this year?"

That is the real question. Last year's OL woes were a big reason why we had such a revolving door at QB. If the OL struggles again this year, look for more of a scrambling game and multiple QB's seeing starts just because of injuries. Even if LJ improves his accuracy, he still needs time to throw.

I expect him to execute the entire offensive package, including calling the blocking schemes needed to protect himself. That improvement as well as being able to do the footwork to go under center and to improve his efficiency throwing will hopefully allow us to finally look like a Petrino coached offense in the 3rd year of Petrino 3.0

I expect at least 9 wins and if we are a lot better offensively more than that. He is a talent that given some time he will lead us to greatness.

I'm expecting a HUGE leap! Main reason is his ability to operate the Entire Playbook! As great as he was defenses could key on certain plays because he never operated under center until the Bowl game!!! Now with a a full spring to perfect that part of his game it should open up a ton of opportunities for the young man as well as the offense. This tweak should help the running game which in turn should help the passing game!

Reactions: RalphDawkins
Jackson is blessed with natural speed and athletic skills. These gifts cannot be made by coaching. However, Coach Petrino is the best at developing a quarterback's footwork, pocket presence, ability to read the defense, and the ability to lead the offense. Also, Coach Petrino will teach Jackson when is time to run out of the pocket. Jackson will become a super star All American soon.

I do Not expect a Soph slump.... If the O-Line has any significant improvement then I truly expect L Jackson to be scary good....

He came to UofL with a HUGE arm but pretty raw as a polished passer/QB. Aside from his running skill he has great ball skill which seems to go unnoticed. IMO, he "improved" considerably as a QB during the bowl practices. He had an enormous spring game even considering the 1 vs 2 format. It is really about his personal motivation, dedication and ability to learn the game because talent and coaching will not be a problem. JMO

Peace

CBP will have LJ up his arm. CBP is working him with the tidbits and nuances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT