ADVERTISEMENT

Now give Petrino a grade

KerryRhodes

15000+
Dec 15, 2007
I was waiting for the bowl game results.

A 'C'

Should be playing in the Orange bowl.

Bad coaching decisions in 3 of the 4 losses, including tonite.

Whipped from end to end tonite, but some of you yokels will just blame Strong.

No reason not to compete for the ACC crown next sezson.

He'll have his QB and youll have to find something else to blame Strong for.

Pathetic

This post was edited on 12/30 11:30 PM by KerryRhodes

Re: Now give Petino a grade

He didn't coach a great game tonight but it's not like Bolin is a five-star recruit! I'm extremely disappointed with the game tonight but Petrino is a stud coach and will prove that long-term. Bolin should have played every snap tonight but we still would not have won. Petrino's track record at every stop has always shown improvement from season one to season two, it will all work out, patience my friend!

Embarrassing! Chubb ran all over the team and broke bowl records. There was nothing we could do to stop him
mad0001.r191677.gif

Kerry, where does your man crush for Strong and your disdain for Bobby come from? Did you watch the Texas/Arkansas game yesterday? What grade would you give ole' Charlie?

Strong doesnt coach here anymore, no matter how you try to deflect on Petrino's shortcomings tonite.

He gets all the accolades, but none of the blame ? !

Gotcha.

Another excellent post that responded to the original question...you're on a roll!!

Originally posted by ShortCreek:
He didn't coach a great game tonight but it's not like Bolin is a five-star recruit! I'm extremely disappointed with the game tonight but Petrino is a stud coach and will prove that long-term.
He was a 4 star.

Petrino doesn't seem to be the CBP of old.

In several ways.

I would say a B. If he had Parker the whole year, maybe one or two more wins. Injuries to QB all year...on our 3rd string QB.

Yes, tonight disappointing, but 3rd string QB, and one of our main RB out...

Was upset about couple of decisions...but overall 1st season good.

I still say A. You can second guess him all you want but I'm guessing he's a better football coach than you are and he'd have reasons for everything if he were here to defend himself.

Our team did great this year for what we had to work with. We'll be better next year.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Kerry, thanks for your shiitty ace contributions to this board. Go lick Charlies baggage

I was waiting until the Bowl game was over too. I was expecting some razzle dazzle play but that didn't happen. I guess I had too much expectations of the old Bobby. I haven't seen much to speak about. Tonight was horrendous.

There have been too many questionable things go on with this team. No Dominic Brown at all? He was listed as our No. 1 RB at the start of the season. Guys like De La Cruz disappear.

I agree we needed to see Bonnafon at some point but it was really bad timing. Bolin had led us to a TD and Georgia just scored a field goal to take a lead. We needed to answer with a score, not give a guy some playing time in a bowl game. Bonnafon was horrific and Kyle lost his mojo.

I give Bobby a C-.

I originally said an A. After tonight, I would say a B. If we would have kept the game close, it would have still been an A.

Originally posted by nccardfan:

I was waiting until the Bowl game was over too. I was expecting some razzle dazzle play but that didn't happen. I guess I had too much expectations of the old Bobby. I haven't seen much to speak about. Tonight was horrendous.

There have been too many questionable things go on with this team. No Dominic Brown at all? He was listed as our No. 1 RB at the start of the season. Guys like De La Cruz disappear.

I agree we needed to see Bonnafon at some point but it was really bad timing. Bolin had led us to a TD and Georgia just scored a field goal to take a lead. We needed to answer with a score, not give a guy some playing time in a bowl game. Bonnafon was horrific and Kyle lost his mojo.

I give Bobby a C-.

Bobby made a Bad...VERY BAD decision to put Reggie in at QB...Any momentum we had with Kyle was lost in the second quarter...And we NEVER got it back...Georgia also ran several of the EXACT same plays over and over again on back to back plays and our defense didn't adjust to it...That's coaching!!!

Too many deep pass attempts and not enough quick slants or wheel routes out of the backfield in the passing game...And the fake punt was a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD Call!!!

The players busted their @$$@$ out there but again they could not wrap up on tackles, and gave up WAY too many 3rd and long for first downs...which kept our defense on the field and they eventually got worn out!!!

Georgia had over 150 yards on just 3 (THREE) plays, and those 3 plays lead to 21 points...Those 21 points and the last TD where we had four players surround Chubb at the 10 yard line, yet he still scored totaled 28 points...We lost by 23 points...We had our chances!!!

I too give Bobby a C-

smokin.r191677.gif

I gave him a B+ and staying with it.

You judge a person based on his body of work. That changed very little in one game out of 13...

B only because of the UVA game. We werent going to beat UGA, they should have challenged Bama for the SEC crown this year, that is a pretty good team. Could have beat Clemson, should have beat UVA, my only complaints. Solid.

I give him a B. Bolin should of played the whole game and the only bad loss was Virginia. I figured we would lose to clemson, fsu, and georgia. So i will go with a B. Of course you can look at it and say if he had beaten virginia we would of been in the orange bowl so i can see the argument of giving a C or B-

Can't say the season was a bust because a good Ga team came to play last night. They are just better on both sides of the ball than us.

Originally posted by Rollem Cards:

He didn't coach a great game tonight but it's not like Bolin is a five-star recruit! I'm extremely disappointed with the game tonight but Petrino is a stud coach and will prove that long-term.
He was a 4 star.

In several ways.
have to give him a few years. i seem to remember a few years at UL the first time they didn't do too hot till he got a couple classes in.

all football coaches get 3 years and really should get 4. basketball coaches get 2.

Final Grade : A-

based on his lack of an offensive line and reliable QB to make reads and deliver the ball, which put pressure on the defense all year with poor field position.

The only true knock I have on Bobby P. is he allowed James Quick to receive punts for a few too many games, other than that, it was a lot of growing pains this year.

Bolin was a three star recruit as was Gardner. Whoever said Bolin was a four star recruit is incorrect. All you have to do is look it up on this site. Reggie was a four star ATH but the kid has only played QB for a year and a half and I don't think he will ever get where he needs to be at the QB spot.

To answer the OP I'll give BP a B. I would have liked to have seen him work some offensive magic, but in the end the holes and lack of depth at many spots offensively was too much to overcome. There is a lot of work to do to get the offensive talent level where it needs to be. RB I feel good about with Radcliff, Scott, and incoming recruits. Everywhere else we need better talent and more depth given our graduation and early departures. If Strong gets credit for the defensive talent on the roster he also needs to be dinged for the offensive mess. Lack of QB talent, lack of OL, no depth at WR with 5 of our top 6 guys leaving in the same year.

In the end Charlie Strong could be like Tom Crean. Crean looked great at Marquette with a kid named Wade and has basically been a disappointment since. Strong looked great with a kid named Bridgewater and it remains to be seen whether everybody simply rode Teddy's coattails. [/QUOTE]

Originally posted by home_skillet:
Bolin was a three star recruit as was Gardner. Whoever said Bolin was a four star recruit is incorrect. All you have to do is look it up on this site. Reggie was a four star ATH but the kid has only played QB for a year and a half and I don't think he will ever get where he needs to be at the QB spot.

To answer the OP I'll give BP a B. I would have liked to have seen him work some offensive magic, but in the end the holes and lack of depth at many spots offensively was too much to overcome. There is a lot of work to do to get the offensive talent level where it needs to be. RB I feel good about with Radcliff, Scott, and incoming recruits. Everywhere else we need better talent and more depth given our graduation and early departures. If Strong gets credit for the defensive talent on the roster he also needs to be dinged for the offensive mess. Lack of QB talent, lack of OL, no depth at WR with 5 of our top 6 guys leaving in the same year.

In the end Charlie Strong could be like Tom Crean. Crean looked great at Marquette with a kid named Wade and has basically been a disappointment since. Strong looked great with a kid named Bridgewater and it remains to be seen whether everybody simply rode Teddy's coattails.
[/QUOTE] So it was john L's fault for not leaving Petrino a strong enough defense in 03' to avoid getting blown out by
memphis and miami (oh)

it was john L's same fault when Petrino blew double digit leads against miami, WV, and rutgers.

GTFO. Bashing another Cards coach to prop up Petrino. Oh wait, none of youll bashed john L for what
he DIDNT leave ole 41-9. Parhetic..........

I'm thinking B range.

Which, would equal good, but not great.

We did win a couple road games against bowl teams, one was a traditional power, and he had to play musical chairs with QB injuries. Most programs that start 3 different QBs in a season probably don't win more games than they lose.

It was up and down.

We were not ranked pre-season. Sometimes fans have higher than should be expectations. We had to replace arguably our best QB ever. That's not easy, no matter who you are bringing in to start. Add that to playing a more difficult schedule, and maybe this season wasn't so bad. I don't take 9 wins for granted.

It could have been better. It could have been worse.

B+. Anyone realize Teddy might be offensive rookie of the year. Does anyone remember his first year. We lost to an average NC State team in the Bell Bowl. We lost to a very good Georgia team last night. Some of you should sober up before you post.

If Georgia was so great, why didn't they win the miserable SEC East? Don't build them up just because they "dawged" us. Bowl games are all about preparation. Our coaches had plenty of time to prepare for the game. We did get "outcoached". They didn't have a OC, we had their former DC and they also had a backup QB. Add in, that we still made the same mistakes on special teams that we have done all year, i.e taking a knee on the kickoff? Having a punter that only kicks 35 yards? Same return guys, except we use Ross who nearly fumbled the last kickoff.

This game reminded me of the Clemson game, only worse. Clemson kept running the bubble screen over and over and we were not able to stop it. Handoff to #27, missed tackles, one after another.

I give him an "A".

Football is a game that builds momentum over time. If you whiff on a recruit or on a coach, you have to work through the season or more to correct. You just have to work with what you have at hand.

We all saw the QB situation coming and even commented on it last season. We all were frustrated with the lack of scoring, bad O'line play, special teams, clock management, etc. We all talked about the need to get quality reps for the next QB.

And the most important, moving to a new conference.

The previous staff might had a plan on how to address all these issues it during the off season. Who knows?

We do know this happened before anything changed:

th

So in comes a new staff that has to learn the roster's strengths, weaknesses, and personalities. What's even more difficult is the players and how they respond to the new staff and their expectations.

I almost forgot, recruiting.

Given all of the problems we had last year along, the loss of a certain QB, and all of the other things mentioned, I think this staff did an outstanding job.

Originally posted by American Male:

Originally posted by nccardfan:

I give Bobby a C-.

Bobby made a Bad...VERY BAD decision to put Reggie in at QB...Any momentum we had with Kyle was lost in the second quarter...And we NEVER got it back...Georgia also ran several of the EXACT same plays over and over again on back to back plays and our defense didn't adjust to it...That's coaching!!!

Too many deep pass attempts and not enough quick slants or wheel routes out of the backfield in the passing game...And the fake punt was a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD Call!!!

The players busted their @$$@$ out there but again they could not wrap up on tackles, and gave up WAY too many 3rd and long for first downs...which kept our defense on the field and they eventually got worn out!!!

Georgia had over 150 yards on just 3 (THREE) plays, and those 3 plays lead to 21 points...Those 21 points and the last TD where we had four players surround Chubb at the 10 yard line, yet he still scored totaled 28 points...We lost by 23 points...We had our chances!!!

I too give Bobby a C-

smokin.r191677.gif
With what he was left with and injuries I gave an A-. the fake punt was bad due to a bad pass, there was no one within 10 yards of our receiver.

Originally posted by Rollem Cards:

He was a 4 star.

In several ways.
It was also only his second career start after not playing in a month.

A solid B....new league and a Upgrade in schedule with a entire new Coaching Staff...lost 3 NFL First Round Picks including a person that will at worst finish 2nd as NFL Rookie of the Year in Teddy Bridgewater-(last 8 Games of the year he finished in the Top 8 in QBR in the NFL) and without Top 15 NFL pick DeVante Parker for 7 Games,

Going forward Georgia showed how far UofL has to go to be a Real Player on the National Scene...it can be done but must improve overall depth especially in the Trenches.

B-

He had a pretty good year but will bump him down due to these items that I can think of now:

1) Having Quick return punts as long as he did during the season was mysterious.

2) Having our QB not be able to handle the game as well as I had hoped, plus after seeing the 3rd string, not sure why he wasnt giving more reps in practice and games. Seemed to be the one that threw passes that one could catch.

3) The offense never had a 'fast' pace to keep the defense at bay

4) Special teams were not that special.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT