ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing wrong with the defense that a good offense won't improve...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
For the Sirmon haters today--after three whole games--last nite's game didn't provide the evidence you need.

The defense was gassed because it was on the field too long and too frequently. The TOP favored Clemson 36-to-24, and the "drives" by U of L were defense killers. We punted the ball eight times in the game which is probably close to a record under Petrino. Five of those eight possessions were three-and-outs, two were after four plays, and one after five. You can't keep putting your defense on the field on a muggy September nite and hope for good things.

I'm not sold on Sirmon anymore than I wanted Grantham canned. But you gotta give the guy a fighting chance. Petrino's teams rely on a potent offense. When you don't have that, it's a crapshoot. And playing a contender for the national championship under those circumstances is the recipe for what we saw last nite. The defense isn't primarily responsible for anything (yet)...

With the talent currently on defense you are correct. The Dline is pretty thin and the secondary is a problem. The less this unit is on the field the better. They are going to need the offense to protect the defense. The best way is they have to establish their running game again. Last years team was very good when they ran the ball effectively with the RB and QB. Once the running game was stopped everything changed.

This team isn't different Purdue and Clemson really defended the run pretty well. The concern is NC State, FSU and Wake are going to do the exact same thing.

UofL's offense doesn't generate long clock winding drives.

Unless the guy in charge has a grand change in philosophy in a very short period of time the defense is going to have problems.

The return of Jaire would help a great deal - but I think the problems run real deep.

For the Sirmon haters today--after three whole games--last nite's game didn't provide the evidence you need.

The defense was gassed because it was on the field too long and too frequently. The TOP favored Clemson 36-to-24, and the "drives" by U of L were defense killers. We punted the ball eight times in the game which is probably close to a record under Petrino. Five of those eight possessions were three-and-outs, two were after four plays, and one after five. You can't keep putting your defense on the field on a muggy September nite and hope for good things.

I'm not sold on Sirmon anymore than I wanted Grantham canned. But you gotta give the guy a fighting chance. Petrino's teams rely on a potent offense. When you don't have that, it's a crapshoot. And playing a contender for the national championship under those circumstances is the recipe for what we saw last nite. The defense isn't primarily responsible for anything (yet)...

I think you can argue that this is one of Petrino's biggest blind spots and probably why he and d coordinators don't have long term relationships. He is so focused on offense that he loses sight of the synergy that needs to exist between the offense and defense. Sometimes the defense needs their offense to control the clock and run the ball among other things.

If Purdue beats Michigan, I want Brohm. He will have already achieved more, with WAY less.

The line is going to continue to improve. They have some quality depth. The line will be a good run blocking line when it is all said and done. I believe Malik is a legit running back. The problem is there is nothing behind him which is pretty amazing but 3 injuries (all three were power backs) will do that. The play calling is probably impacted by the lack of depth at that position.

I don't buy this is a huge philopshy jump for Petrino he has always said the running game is vital to his offense. The way the are approaching the run is different because of Lamar. The under center handoffs were a huge part of his previous offense. That has all but disappeared.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season unfolds.

For comparison, Louisville had nine drives against UNC last weekend. Six of the nine drives included at least nine plays. And that game had some big plays by U of L.

Petrino likes to run the ball about 50-50 with the pass. It's a myth that he wants short drives (# of plays) setting up scores. He likes "chunk" plays, but that's not all his offense produces. If you successfully run the ball, you'll consume clock and keep your defense on the sidelines...

For comparison, Louisville had nine drives against UNC last weekend. Six of the nine drives included at least nine plays.

You're only telling part of the story.

The extended drives vs UNC didn't take time off the clock each time. Only two drives were over 5 min, and both were barely over 5 min. Great drives, no doubt. But, keep in mind UNC is a dumpster fire anyway.

Against Purdue UofL did not have one drive go 4 min. That ain't clock consumption, or doesn't feel like it.

UofL did not have one drive in the 1st half vs Clemson go beyond 2 min. Want to chalk that up to being against a great defense - okay.

The offense gets off the field quickly one way or the other. You may want to sell it as a myth that he wants short drives - the reality is, that's what they produce. Short drives.

They have two weeks to practice in live game situations, then get another test @ NC St.

Last edited:
Reactions: nccardfan

I will have to disagree because it's 3 games of poor tackling and confusion when lining up on D. Oh they got tired but the problems are going on continuously. We had glimmers of good play but it was just a glimmer. I will agree that it became a killer when they became tired. Our tackling has been pretty poor during all three games. Missed tackles, not wrapping players up. And the secondary is filled with holes, which I think will improve when Alexander returns. Now here's the good news we will improve on the experience but the poor tackling that's on Sirmon. Strong wouldn't have tolerated that weak stuff. Question is will Sirmon? And even more important will Petrino?

You're only telling part of the story.

The extended drives vs UNC didn't take time off the clock each time. Only two drives were over 5 min, and both were barely over 5 min. Great drives, no doubt. But, keep in mind UNC is a dumpster fire anyway.

Against Purdue UofL did not have one drive go 4 min. That ain't clock consumption, or doesn't feel like it.

UofL did not have one drive in the 1st half vs Clemson go beyond 2 min. Want to chalk that up to being against a great defense - okay.

The offense gets off the field quickly one way or the other. You may want to sell it as a myth that he wants short drives - the reality is, that's what they produce. Short drives.

They have two weeks to practice in live game situations, then get another test @ NC St.
I don't think your defense has nearly the problem going back on the field after a "chunk" play and kickoff as it does after a three-and-out. Yet, they consume about the same amount of clock.

The service academies are annually among the highest ranked by time of possession. That's why you can't look at one stat in isolation.

Teams that run hurry-up offenses will never go on long drives as defined by TOP. But they can and often are successful offenses nonetheless.

Comparatively, our offensive drives were ultra-short on Saturday nite. And the defense suffered as a result...

I will have to disagree because it's 3 games of poor tackling and confusion when lining up on D. Oh they got tired but the problems are going on continuously. We had glimmers of good play but it was just a glimmer. I will agree that it became a killer when they became tired. Our tackling has been pretty poor during all three games. Missed tackles, not wrapping players up. And the secondary is filled with holes, which I think will improve when Alexander returns. Now here's the good news we will improve on the experience but the poor tackling that's on Sirmon. Strong wouldn't have tolerated that weak stuff. Question is will Sirmon? And even more important will Petrino?
You don't have Strong. With Charlie, many of you b!tched about the offense. Now, you have an offensive oriented coach and can b!tch about the defense.

There's one constant in all of that...

You don't have Strong. With Charlie, many of you b!tched about the offense. Now, you have an offensive oriented coach and can b!tch about the defense.

I don't bitch I point out facts you might bitch. The fact is we don't tackle period you can throw out all kinds of smoke and when it clears it's still there. We have poor techniques and it falls apart especially when your tired. It was weak with Purdue and UNC and it was glaring with Clemson. You don't beat Clemson without good to great D if you don't have it you get what happened last night. I for one want a complete team. Those are the teams built to win NC.

I don't bitch I point out facts you might bitch. The fact is we don't tackle period you can throw out all kinds of smoke and when it clears it's still there. We have poor techniques and it falls apart especially when your tired. It was weak with Purdue and UNC and it was glaring with Clemson. You don't beat Clemson without good to great D if you don't have it you get what happened last night. I for one want a complete team...
Me too. But you seldom get that by playing musical chairs with your coaches. You gotta give these guys time...

I don't bitch I point out facts you might bitch. The fact is we don't tackle period you can throw out all kinds of smoke and when it clears it's still there. We have poor techniques and it falls apart especially when your tired. It was weak with Purdue and UNC and it was glaring with Clemson. You don't beat Clemson without good to great D if you don't have it you get what happened last night. I for one want a complete team...
Me too. But you seldom get that by playing musical chairs with your coaches. You gotta give these guys time...
That we don't have a choice of which is why in my original post I stated that will see what he does. I am concerned but hope he succeeds

I am not sure if the whole defensive coordinator swap was the right thing to do, but I will give the new DC time before making my mind up (not that it matters). He isn't responsible for the lack of overall talent on the defense. Recruiting is the life line of any program and the truth is Grantham wasn't getting it done. They have no cornerbacks (Jaire) or nickel backs that can cover 1 on 1. That is recruiting. They are having to play true freshman at linebacker and the star position. That is recruiting. There Dline is extremely thin and will be basically a complete overhaul next year. That is recruiting. I would argue there is no coach in the US that could take this group on defense and bet Clemson. They are too good and when motivated their guys are a mismatch.

Are there coaching issues with the defense yes but I will always give a new coach time when they are void of talent.

Reactions: zipp and Mayoman

Yep - agreed - there's always been a legit reason to bitch.

It's pretty obvious an extreme one way or the other is not preferred. It' ain't rocket science.

Reactions: zipp
I don't think your defense has nearly the problem going back on the field after a "chunk" play and kickoff as it does after a three-and-out. Yet, they consume about the same amount of clock.

If they aren't rested, they aren't rested. It doesn't matter what happens in the game if it's a short rest a defense is being put in a tough spot.

It is true an opposing offense could feel some pressure if they are forced to put up points after scores over and over again.

The bottom line is this defense runs the risk of exposure and fatigue given the style of the offense being used - and it doesn't really matter who the coordinator is for the D if that's the situation.

I remember when Louisville re-hired Petrino, I thought to myself.."Wow, the Cardinals will have a great defense again."

See how ridiculous that sounds. Petrino's teams are supposed to outscore opponents. Unless we can pull in 5 star and 4 star defenders on the reg, Louisville's greatest asset(or weakness) will always be offense.

Reactions: Mayoman
If they aren't rested, they aren't rested. It doesn't matter what happens in the game if it's a short rest a defense is being put in a tough spot.

It is true an opposing offense could feel some pressure if they are forced to put up points after scores over and over again.

The bottom line is this defense runs the risk of exposure and fatigue given the style of the offense being used - and it doesn't really matter who the coordinator is for the D if that's the situation.
Well, some of it's psychological too. ("Here we go again...") And a potent if rapidly scoring offense allows the defense to "pin their ears" and take the risks that some of you guys are saying this defense is lacking.

Not to mention, a good offense keeps the home crowd in their seats trying to inspire the defense. None of those are things you don't care about. I'm dead sure the coaches do...

Make up your mind man. Do you want a rapidly scoring offense to help the D or a time consuming O to help the D?

So it's ok for them to be on the field alot if their O is scoring but not if the O is punting? Eh, maybe to some extent but you know this is a stretch.

They did check out late in the 3rd Q Sat night and it was fatigue for sure. I'd think they need the O to hold it just a little longer but that doesn't figure to happen.

Let's just hope they do just enough to get the team to 8-9 wins. Nothing wrong with that goal.

Make up your mind man. Do you want a rapidly scoring offense to help the D or a time consuming O to help the D?

So it's ok for them to be on the field alot if their O is scoring but not if the O is punting? Eh, maybe to some extent but you know this is a stretch.

They did check out late in the 3rd Q Sat night and it was fatigue for sure. I'd think they need the O to hold it just a little longer but that doesn't figure to happen.

Let's just hope they do just enough to get the team to 8-9 wins. Nothing wrong with that goal.

That is NOT the goal though. Petrino said the goal is ACC/National championship and that is why people are so upset because Bobby will not get it done.

I thought that the zone coverage on 3rd downs lead to either an easy pass in the seam or speed getting behind the secondary. Too loose, too conservative and the Tigers took advantage. Man-up and get the stop and get off the field. You have to trust 1 on 1 coverage or play a much more aggressive zone on the key 3rd downs.

I thought that the zone coverage on 3rd downs lead to either an easy pass in the seam or speed getting behind the secondary. Too loose, too conservative and the Tigers took advantage. Man-up and get the stop and get off the field. You have to trust 1 on 1 coverage or play a much more aggressive zone on the key 3rd downs.
And I'm sure Clemson's young but talented QB making his first road game start in a hostile environment appreciated the huge open areas in the zone.

Reactions: Bluegrasscard
Expectations for this program are high, but it is clear the program has a ways to go to reach those expectations. To be honest they may never achieve it because Clemson and FSU will always recruit at a much higher level than Louisville. It is really hard at programs like Louisville to convince 4-5 star guys to wait their time and that is the only way to build quality depth. Louisville has experienced this the last two years key guys go down and the drop off is significant.

I think tempered is the perfect term to describe the fans expectations.

I think tempered is the perfect term to describe the fans expectations.
I'm in the minority here, but I expected "more" when we hired Rick Pitino to coach BB.

I expected what he did at uk.

Of course what I didn't consider was, TJ was not going to allow the $1000+ handshakes and all the "perks" CRP had at uk. (whether he knew about them ranks up there with what he knew about Katrina P, but I digress)

I expected more of CBP. Not necessarily wins (although I did probably), but I expected the disciplined football that we remembered. I expected the TE's to carve people up.

I think the MC wreak made him put the "prick disciplinarian" away because he's under a microscope.

If thats not it, then it must be that PAUL Petrino was big in running the show last time because he's the only thing missing. ;)

Yeah, I don't think Jurich has tempered expectations for any of his programs. He would say he has reasonable expectations, and yes, that sounds like semantics. "Tempered" means they were higher, and now they're lower. Nobody's long term expectations should be changing since Saturday's game.

Some of us hoping for greatness this year should have tempered expectations depending on your definition of "greatness". Clemson appears to have a legit shot at the CFP which opens up the Orange Bowl for us as a goal. If that's not a great result, it's pretty damn close.

As some have pointed out, we drubbed FSU last year in game three, and the OB is where they ended up (after losing a SECOND conference game). No reason that can't happen again...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT