ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing’s changed with McDonald

AnotherCFD

One-Star Poster
Jan 26, 2024
Sacrificing another W with terrible decision making. Can these kids not complete a full game anymore? F this!

The veteran bullpen is on the clock.
Look for some the young guys to move towards being more used and earlier.

You oughta know what you got going in. These games aren’t exhibitions and will hurt your resume. Ridiculous

You oughta know what you got going in. These games aren’t exhibitions and will hurt your resume. Ridiculous
Yeah I know but all of his guys that have been in the system will get the first crack and then if they don't produce the youngsters will get their chance to take them out of their spot

Guys, we weren't going undefeated, I hate to break it to you. I don't like losing the opener, and the BP already looks a little shaky, but it's a long season. Let's get game 2 today.

As a side note, I think Coach Mac is now 10-7 in openers.

Most seasons it does take his squads a bit of time to get going.

Sounds like Webster started game 2. Wow. Very surprised by that.

Just had a scoring chance and a hesitation at third - can I start my complaints about our 3B coach now??

Reactions: rh62531
Just had a scoring chance and a hesitation at third - can I start my complaints about our 3B coach now??
Have you ever seen a guy who just stole 2nd base not try and score on a two out base hit to the outfield? Me either, not until Louisville.

Snider at third KILLS me every year. He needs to be at first not third.

McDonald gonna set over there and watch a freshman get torched.

Everybody has power except Louisville. Punch and Judy recruits to play small ball doesn’t get it anymore. It’s time to clean house on this program and get some new blood in here.

Ok. I appreciate anyone who wants to join the conversation here. However, coming out guns ablazin’ with nothing but smack talk - this, honestly, smells of troll. Just sayin. The last three seasons haven’t been stellar. But, if I recall correctly, sandwiched between two on-tourney seasons was a trip to a super regional. The first non-tourney season they should have been in the tournament- i was 100% believe that
There is a lot of talent in the team. A weekend series in FL is not going to tell us what this team is going to be.

I've seen us lose early and compete later, lose early and not compete later.
Tbs, I'm only worried about one thing after today and I think everybody knows what that is...

Throwing strikes

Reactions: 2330859 and Bardman
Think we’re going to be in for a long year, regardless of how the games this weekend go. Not a ton pop in the lineup, and the pitching is probably as bad as I’ve seen in a long time. My BIL is a scout for the Mariners who used to go to every scrimmage/game in and around Louisville, but hasn’t been to anything Louisville related this year because he said there isn’t a whole lot to scout, especially the arms. He said there are a handful of hitters who will be drafted, but the consensus is that the arms will really struggle once ACC play rolls around. Hopefully he’s way off base, and the guys can just play well together as a team, regardless of what their pro prospects are/aren’t.

I will say that maybe when Mac said something about needing his Freshmen,maybe he was referring to every Freshman pitcher on the roster which I count right now as 11 Freshmen pitchers.

Eleven!!

Odd how none of these problems bubbled to the surface until a few years ago. Really odd...

Stealing into outs has been a complaint about McDonnell ball for more than a decade. Overly aggressive baserunning can work if you know a team has below average fielding skills, but giving away those outs ends up costing you against the better fielding teams on the schedule.

Please expand @ zipp
I don't know. All I try to do in most cases is observe and analyze.

Cause-and-effect is more difficult to discern but eventually and correctly MUST be done or you're not gonna fix a given problem. The problem will persist at least to some degree.

In a fairly short span of time, we've seen longstanding coaches here as well as coaches who came here fail. This used to be a department where coaches came to succeed, and fans expected it.

I sure as hell hope failure doesn't happen with McDonnell who has been a tremendous asset to the athletic department and this community. It's really early, but we're into the third year now where people are raising questions. It will only get louder and more serious.

And I've learned over a lifetime analyzing problems and situations NOT to rely on coincidence as an explanation. I would have lost a good job many times trying to argue that...

Cause-and-effect is more difficult to discern but eventually and correctly MUST be done or you're not gonna fix a given problem. The problem will persist at least to some degree.

In a fairly short span of time, we've seen longstanding coaches here as well as coaches who came here fail. This used to be a department where coaches came to succeed, and fans expected it.

I sure as hell hope failure doesn't happen with McDonnell who has been a tremendous asset to the athletic department and this community. It's really early, but we're into the third year now where people are raising questions. It will only get louder and more serious.

And I've learned over a lifetime analyzing problems and situations NOT to rely on coincidence as an explanation. I would have lost a good job many times trying to argue that...
So you’re saying it’s an athletic dept issue? I don’t think the bullpen falling short is a result of Josh Heird. Also, Jurich is never coming back, not sure if you knew.

Reactions: BPGhost and Bardman
So you’re saying it’s an athletic dept issue? I don’t think the bullpen falling short is a result of Josh Heird. Also, Jurich is never coming back, not sure if you knew.
One thing we know for sure that's baseball related and involving the administration was the commitment to build a $10+ million training facility and the subsequent reneging on that commitment.

For a nonrevenue sport, $10-12 million dedicated to that sport ain't chump change.

We also know about McDonnell's displeasure over that. It briefly made front page news. And I've heard behind the scenes, he's still not happy about it.

How that translates to a bullpen falling short, I can't hazard a guess. I just don't and never will believe in coincidences, esp. a confluence of them. It's illogical...

I believe Dan was late to the transfer party. He has attempted to resolve that, but maybe several steps behind the rest of the colleges.

Reactions: Jgrimes1320
One thing we know for sure that's baseball related and involving the administration was the commitment to build a $10+ million training facility and the subsequent reneging on that commitment.

For a nonrevenue sport, $10-12 million dedicated to that sport ain't chump change.

We also know about McDonnell's displeasure over that. It briefly made front page news. And I've heard behind the scenes, he's still not happy about it.

How that translates to a bullpen falling short, I can't hazard a guess. I just don't and never will believe in coincidences, esp. a confluence of them. It's illogical...
I think renege isn’t the right word. Delayed is more appropriate.

Kinda thought that's what you were alluding to.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp

Could have stopped your post after sentence #1…

I think renege isn’t the right word. Delayed is more appropriate.
I don’t know if you read about it, but U of L dialed that project WAY down. No money in the bank, of course. And it won’t surprise me if the little that remains gets delayed.

Sad state of affairs…

Think we’re going to be in for a long year, regardless of how the games this weekend go. Not a ton pop in the lineup, and the pitching is probably as bad as I’ve seen in a long time. My BIL is a scout for the Mariners who used to go to every scrimmage/game in and around Louisville, but hasn’t been to anything Louisville related this year because he said there isn’t a whole lot to scout, especially the arms. He said there are a handful of hitters who will be drafted, but the consensus is that the arms will really struggle once ACC play rolls around. Hopefully he’s way off base, and the guys can just play well together as a team, regardless of what their pro prospects are/aren’t.
As far as the arms, we better hope the 11 Freshmen pitchers that are on the roster will become Sophomores quickly,beginning Wednesday with 18 straight home games.
I was not at all shocked that we didn't get a look at any of them yesterday. It will be a baptism by water,not fire.
Mac and Miller will bring them along soon,just not in that environment in Tampa.
I still believe there is some pop in the bats. I mean it's just the first 2 games in and we probably faced the best pitchers that Ind.St and UCONN had to offer. Let's give that one more than a minute..

I said this last season and suspect I need to repeat again…… tell the entire pitching staff that walks are totally unacceptable. What disappointed me was watching Dan allow a pitcher to remain in the game when it was painfully obvious our pitchers could not find the strike zone. I would find someone who had control and make the opponent beat us with hits. That brings up defense; get the right infield in place and stick with it if it eliminates errors.

Reactions: rh62531 and Bardman
I think I know the situation you were talking about and we were all saying "send him". I disagree with the thread heading. Dan looked more conservative than in years past. Humphries lead off one inning with a double and the next 3 guys didn't even get him to 3rd much less score. The next batter was left handed and all he had to do was hit a ground ball to the right side to get Humphries at 3rd and the batter popped out. I think we only had 1 stolen base, can't remember but we may have had only 1 bunt.

Reactions: Bardman
I think we only had 1 stolen base, can't remember but we may have had only 1 bunt.
They're working on this daily in a way I've never seen them before( the bunting). Not sure why they weren't bunting more.

I have a question I plan to ask CDM at some point... We never hear about "small ball" anymore. Have we evolved from that, and has it been a strategic decision?

I sorta question whether we will ever be good as a program by trying to outhit the other team. And at the same time we started believing we could rely more on hitting, our pitching has fallen off.

(This is the guy who doesn't believe in coincidences...)

I have a question I plan to ask CDM at some point... We never hear about "small ball" anymore. Have we evolved from that, and has it been a strategic decision?

I sorta question whether we will ever be good as a program by trying to outhit the other team. And at the same time we started believing we could rely more on hitting, our pitching has fallen off.

(This is the guy who doesn't believe in coincidences...)
I believe that Mac will use a couple of guys in particular to play small (Moore and Alecia) but I'm guessing he is trying early to see just who will produce in those rbi situations. We didn't get to see everybody swing Friday but we're going to. I really think there will be some different guys emerge in the near future.

Reactions: Deeva
This isn’t an investment issue but it maybe be an NIL issue. It maybe too early to tell.

To me this is a head coach being to loyal to his assistants. Roger Williams has earned that loyalty but since Covid pitching has tanked. The aren’t landing MLB arms. They aren’t landing guys that have really live arms and can locate their pitches. Kroger has a live arm can’t locate pitches gets smoked. Phillips doesn’t have a live arm and can’t locate pitches. These are veteran guys. In the ACC you have to have elite arms they have been average since Covid.

To me Synder has been awful. I haven’t liked their approach since his arrival. Way too passive. They used to be super aggressive especially in the early innings. Knowing that is the time to get good pitchers. Seems like they are always behind in the count without taking a swing. It appears hitter are thinking way too much.

They played 2 good teams over the weekend games that they could have won. They tore it up in Houston last year didn’t matter. We will see.

This isn’t an investment issue but it maybe be an NIL issue. It maybe too early to tell.

To me this is a head coach being to loyal to his assistants. Roger Williams has earned that loyalty but since Covid pitching has tanked. The aren’t landing MLB arms. They aren’t landing guys that have really live arms and can locate their pitches. Kroger has a live arm can’t locate pitches gets smoked. Phillips doesn’t have a live arm and can’t locate pitches. These are veteran guys. In the ACC you have to have elite arms they have been average since Covid.

To me Synder has been awful. I haven’t liked their approach since his arrival. Way too passive. They used to be super aggressive especially in the early innings. Knowing that is the time to get good pitchers. Seems like they are always behind in the count without taking a swing. It appears hitter are thinking way too much.

They played 2 good teams over the weekend games that they could have won. They tore it up in Houston last year didn’t matter. We will see.
Dan is the skipper and it’s his job to bring in the type of talent it takes to compete. It’s on him not his assistant’s imo. Great players make coaches look good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT