ADVERTISEMENT

Non-biased Observer on Grantham’s Defense

Cardinal Cash

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2016
My father and I watched the Egg bowl this evening and he said that Grantham’s defense seemed to have one simple problem. “I’m a guy who likes the blitz, but Grantham calls the blitz way too much.” I think this was the 3rd and Grantham problem many people complained about. I think Todd is good at coaching defense, but I would say he has deficiencies in both his player development and his over-aggressive scheme. Overall I’d say he’s better than Sirmon, but with Sirmon possibly finding his identity as a coach in recent games, maybe this whole trade worked out ok. That is also contingent on if he is truly better at bringing in talented players.

My father and I watched the Egg bowl this evening and he said that Grantham’s defense seemed to have one simple problem. “I’m a guy who likes the blitz, but Grantham calls the blitz way too much.” I think this was the 3rd and Grantham problem many people complained about. I think Todd is good at coaching defense, but I would say he has deficiencies in both his player development and his over-aggressive scheme. Overall I’d say he’s better than Sirmon, but with Sirmon possibly finding his identity as a coach in recent games, maybe this whole trade worked out ok. That is also contingent on if he is truly better at bringing in talented players.
Fair assessment. I think that Grantham is better suited to coaching in the pros where they have unlimited practice time to implement his systems. My criticism of him would be that his system is overly complicated for college football.

I certainly hope sirmon has found his groove but, the jury is still way out on that one. Should he be able to hold his next two opponents to 14 and under - I’d say he deserves another season.

If not...

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
He has statistically great defenses. They get a lot of tackles for loss, turnovers, but they get completely burned with a big plays when they have to have a stop. His teams get eaten up by good offenses. They are good on offense because they have the talent to take advantage of matchups. They played really good against Alabama until they had to get stops. He blitzed all out on 3rd down and didn't get home. He did it again they scored. Last year against UK Louisville couldn't cover their slot guy Johnson and UK knew it. Over and over Johnson has man to man coverage with no help over top. Both Johnsons have a field day. He never alternated his game plan to adjust to their game plan. That is why he is no longer at Louisville plus he was a average recruiter.

Who knows with Sirmon, but Grantham leaving wasn't a bad thing. He wasn't going to change his system. I think Mullen is going to get weary of him as well.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT