ADVERTISEMENT

No Post Play

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
I know there is a plethora of problems but one thing that makes Paynes offense even more predictable and easy to defend is the complete lack of paint and post play, especially from our bigs.

Our bigs basically just set high screens and take up space on offense. They're not a threat to score unless it's garbage points. It would help a lot of at least one big was somewhat of a threat to score so they could occasionally dump it down low then pass back out if it's not there etc.

I know there is a plethora of problems but one thing that makes Paynes offense even more predictable and easy to defend is the complete lack of paint and post play, especially from our bigs.

Our bigs basically just set high screens and take up space on offense. They're not a threat to score unless it's garbage points. It would help a lot of at least one big was somewhat of a threat to score so they could occasionally dump it down low then pass back out if it's not there etc.
I know Huntley-Hatfield has some post moves he can utilize if he gets the ball passed to him down low. The problem is we’re running the same type of play every single time down the court. As for Dennis, dude is so tall. Why not just throw it to him and have him dunk it or get fouled putting up a shot because the defender can’t reach high enough to block the shot so they just end up fouling him.

Reactions: shadow force
I know Huntley-Hatfield has some post moves he can utilize if he gets the ball passed to him down low. The problem is we’re running the same type of play every single time down the court. As for Dennis, dude is so tall. Why not just throw it to him and have him dunk it or get fouled putting up a shot because the defender can’t reach high enough to block the shot so they just end up fouling him.
I think it was Eric Musselman who has been said to change his style year by year to fit the roster that he has. Why can’t every coach do that? Instead of doing the same shtick every year, come up with a playbook full of strategies and plays that will directly impact your players’ play instead of making them do something that doesn’t come as easy to them

Haven't you heard? That is by design. Payne wants to be like the NBA. No true post player and everyone shoots the 3...

I agree there should be lob opportunities aplenty for a guys like Evans but I don't think the players know how to set those up.

As for BHH I know he tried once to use a post move but he missed it. I don't know if he, the guards, or the offense is at fault for so few of those opportunities.

Reactions: J_Lewis0117
it would be good to use BHH in a different way. he is not effective in the post. only 2 points and 1 board. the two points were on a dunk in transition.

I agree there should be lob opportunities aplenty for a guys like Evans but I don't think the players know how to set those up.

As for BHH I know he tried once to use a post move but he missed it. I don't know if he, the guards, or the offense is at fault for so few of those opportunities.
I just think Brandon didn’t get much opportunity. Gotta run a specific play for him to score down low at least 3-5 times during the course of the game. If it doesn’t work by then, then it’s not going to

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT