ADVERTISEMENT

No dingers the last 8 games.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
The Cards have 5 total home runs this season, 4 of which came during the UCONN series. That means there's been just one home run during the last 13 games. Maybe it's the weather. It really hasn't cooperated thus far. Those 4 HR's against UCONN were in climate friendly Florida.

The Cards have 5 total home runs this season, 4 of which came during the UCONN series. That means there's been just one home run during the last 13 games. Maybe it's the weather. It really hasn't cooperated thus far. Those 4 HR's against UCONN were in climate friendly Florida.
I agree that weather may have something to do with it. Balls carry further in humidity and winds are usually blowing out in Florida.

I saw 2 hit this weekend,but they were the opposing team. Both hit Sunday by lefties when the wind was blowing left to right towards that foul pole. Credit their pitcher for keeping the ball on the outside of the plate against our lefties.

I saw Davis crush a ball,but right into the teeth of the wind.

It's a bit of a conundrum.

This team is just not built for power but speed and timely hitting, which has been an issue for us in the past. Also I think Dan’s thinking about Omaha, where not many HRs are hit and the outfield is large. Nothing wrong with setting your sights at the top.

Reactions: Bardman and earsky
Yeah I agree. I think I said it in another thread,there are some potential big bats,but they are young. It would be nice to have one more to bat behind Wyatt.

Yeah I agree. I think I said it in another thread,there are some potential big bats,but they are young. It would be nice to have one more to bat behind Wyatt.
Yeah, I didn’t really consider Stowers to be a HR hitter last year but he came on later in the season.

Fitz got himself a dinger yesterday. Ole Miss almost took one out, too. And, Snider's triple in the 10th was pretty darn close. Hopefully, the bats heat up as the weather gets warmer. Fun game yesterday. With the logjam at catcher and Britton being the odd man out, I'm happy for Zach for hammering home the game winner. Maybe it leads to more playing time. He's now just an occasional DH and RF.

Yeah,Snider doesn't have to think pull from the leadoff spot. He really generates some bat speed.

I think if someone can emerge as a legitimate deep ball threat, that we might see a little change with the lineup. Danny O might move down one spot,give Wyatt a chance to see some better pitches. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Oriente should be a good guy behind Wyatt as he makes good contact and puts the ball in play (as a rule). Not much power though. If d rather see Oriente in the 2 hole for that reason and maybe Fitz behind Wyatt. But, who I am I?

Oriente should be a good guy behind Wyatt as he makes good contact and puts the ball in play (as a rule). Not much power though. If d rather see Oriente in the 2 hole for that reason and maybe Fitz behind Wyatt. But, who I am I?
He makes great contact,but the team is starving for one of these young kids to emerge and let Oriente move back one. He is the best option now,but if he's not feared for going yard,Wyatt will continue to see only off speed and outside laced fastballs. I believe it's something that is happening as we type.

Binelas seems like he could be the guy,but it could be Davis when he gets the start at catcher. He has legitimate HR power.

He makes great contact,but the team is starving for one of these young kids to emerge and let Oriente move back one. He is the best option now,but if he's not feared for going yard,Wyatt will continue to see only off speed and outside laced fastballs. I believe it's something that is happening as we type.

Binelas seems like he could be the guy,but it could be Davis when he gets the start at catcher. He has legitimate HR power.

Can’t disagree with that at all. Just need one of them to get consistent and confident. Plus - could someone help Lavey at the plate. I really think his bat is needed. I think is very strong defensively but can we afford a sub-200 hitter (probably not).

Idk,but the more I see these guys(and that's a lot) up close,the more I think we might be a year away. I'm impatient as hell,but the lack of power looks to be a problem until some of these freshmen get some seasoning. I just don't see enough firepower this year.
Believe me,I'd love to be wrong.

Idk,but the more I see these guys(and that's a lot) up close,the more I think we might be a year away. I'm impatient as hell,but the lack of power looks to be a problem until some of these freshmen get some seasoning. I just don't see enough firepower this year.
That’s difficult to say or think because we will lose Detmers and Bennett, maybe Wyatt and Fitzgerald.

Detmers is a true sophomore I think. Bennett,Wyatt and Fitz all juniors and I'd assume like others before,if they're drafted,they'll probably go.It just looks like if one or 2 of these Freshmen don't come along soon,there is a serious shortage of power.

Like I said,I hope I'm proven wrong. Whether those guys stay or leave,still looks to be a year away.

Like I said,I hope I'm proven wrong. Whether those guys stay or leave,still looks to be a year away.
You are correct about Detmers, only a sophomore and will just turn 20 in July. So that’s good news. I think Dan will get these guys playing at a higher level before we get to post season.

You are correct about Detmers, only a sophomore and will just turn 20 in July. So that’s good news. I think Dan will get these guys playing at a higher level before we get to post season.
I'm sure he will.

We on it as concerned with the power factor as I am about solid hitting. Singles and doubles go a long way. There is enough speed to turn those into triples and doubles. I’d love more power but it is what it is. 10+ hits a game would go a long way.

Binelas has two jacks. Henry Davis has two. Poland has one. They'd likely have more... well, at least more opportunities to hit more of them if Coach Mac didn't constantly tinker with the lineup. But, that tinkering is also how you get seasoning.

The firepower has been missing the last four games. A) Credit Tech's pitching for 3 of those games. B) That's just the ebb and flow of baseball. They were cranking them out before that.

The firepower has been missing the last four games. A) Credit Tech's pitching for 3 of those games. B) That's just the ebb and flow of baseball. They were cranking them out before
I
I can appreciate everyone's thoughts about this. Just wandering what you guys all thought.
I'm more concerned when we go up against those more talented pitchers in the league and in post season.

Heated up Sunday with Binelas and Britton getting into a couple. I think Wyatt finally saw a few pitches on the inside part of the plate. He knows what to do with those kind.Yard!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT