ADVERTISEMENT

No commits for 2023 class???

Nope. One guard from Cincinnati was committed ut is now going to So Cal.

Wish I knew Anything at all about the Ga Tech transfer.

They had an in-depth conversation about this on 93.9. One of the points they made was the days of a deep bench is now in the past. And it makes sense, we lost two of our freshman because they didn’t get enough playing time, never mind they weren’t ready. The portal has created this mess. We have a good core HVL, Cochran, Harris, and Russell according to them. I agree we do have four solid players but we are way short. So I too am concerned.

Reactions: rh62531
There are 5 ACC commits playing in tonight's in the McDonald's Girls All-Star game.: Duke (1), Virginia (1) NC State (1) Notre Dame (2). UL (0)

I hope we don’t lose any of our core group as of right now the portal is very active. UNC is losing 2 starters, Iowa State is losing all of their starting 5. UNCST is losing players. They are allowed to enter the portal after selection Sunday. CJW calls it Selection Sunday and Portal Monday.
I read an article which said HVL hasn’t made a decision yet. I hope she doesn’t leave that would be catastrophic. We need to quickly rebuild and show we will be a contender.

The portal is destroying college sports specifically BB and appears to be hitting WBB especially hard. If I’m fact HVL is think about leaving then we’re in real trouble. The NCAA had better get handle on this and damn fast!

The NCAA has allowed itself to become increasingly ineffective. By virtue of its very structure, where having so many member institutions, yet allowing influential leadership to be handed over to inconsequential coming schools that have nothing in common with P5 conferences, has evolved to the situation where it finds itself.

I am surprised that P5 football schools have not already initiated their exit from the NCAA, and created their own organization, one where it could establish rules that are designed to preserve some measure of the amateur status that was once championed by most schools.

The NIL and the Transfer Portal serve some athletes very well, but it is at the expense of the vast majority of student athletes, and most of the schools themselves.

My fear is that it may be too late to stop this destructive trend, where so many schools will discover their inability to compete, and ultimately resort to something closer to intramural type competition.

Reactions: CardsFirst
If it continues I will lose interest in watching, some schools are buying whole teams like Texas in volleyball.

Tennessee pays their basketball players $100,000 per year. Duke is giving their women’s team stipends and they had 11 transfers on their team this year. Texas had 6 players transfer in to their volleyball this past year. They were all the main players and starters for their championship team. This is going to be the trend, instead of recruiting high school kids they are just going to hit the transfer portal.
I can see getting one or 2 players from the portal but when you start getting a whole team that sends out red flags. The problem is they won’t be able to control it.

Tennessee pays their basketball players $100,000 per year. Duke is giving their women’s team stipends and they had 11 transfers on their team this year. Texas had 6 players transfer in to their volleyball this past year. They were all the main players and starters for their championship team. This is going to be the trend, instead of recruiting high school kids they are just going to hit the transfer portal.
I can see getting one or 2 players from the portal but when you start getting a whole team that sends out red flags. The problem is they won’t be able to control it.
That’s insane. So we have Universities actually paying players, which was my trigger to stop watching. If UT is paying there WBB players $100,000, what are they paying their FB and MBB players? Fortunately it didn’t really payoff for them.

That’s insane. So we have Universities actually paying players, which was my trigger to stop watching. If UT is paying there WBB players $100,000, what are they paying their FB and MBB players? Fortunately it didn’t really payoff for them.
It is called NIL.

Actually with the way the transfer rules work, smart coaches like Jeff have figured out that portal players have more loyalty to your program than high schoolers. This is because the portal players have already used up their one free transfer and must either stick around until they graduate or pay the penalty of sitting out a transfer year.

This change makes you do your homework more with high schoolers … you have to either recruit only high schoolers who have the talent to play significant minutes right away or find high schoolers who have potential and are willing to wait their turn.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Alabama offered a high school kid over a million dollars to play football. This will be the norm in a few more years.

Jeff mentioned this morning on the Deener show that he has a recruit on campus today with her parents. He said they flew back from Seattle on a red eye only to meet with this recruit Tuesday morning with just a couple hours to spare. He also mentioned that he hopes to sign 4 to 5 players out of the portal and that he’s looking for players that have 2 to 3 years of eligibility. After today they are in a dead period that runs through April 3 and then he has more portal recruits scheduled to come to campus on visits.

I don’t believe we will stop recruiting High School talent but he went on to say that in todays game, some of these kids will go to a smaller program and prove their value and then enter the portal. Ole Miss coach Yolett McPhee-McCuin said that if you don’t adapt to recruiting out of the portal, your program will die. Recruiting high school kids will and is taking a back seat. They had 6 players from the portal that got them to the Sweet 16. And last but not least, if our NIL does not improve for WBB, none of this will matter. I attend all of our WBB games and know there is a lot of major money sitting in those seats. We need local companies getting involved or we’ll be dead.

Actually with the way the transfer rules work, smart coaches like Jeff have figured out that portal players have more loyalty to your program than high schoolers. This is because the portal players have already used up their one free transfer and must either stick around until they graduate or pay the penalty of sitting out a transfer year.

This change makes you do your homework more with high schoolers … you have to either recruit only high schoolers who have the talent to play significant minutes right away or find high schoolers who have potential and are willing to wait their turn.
Excellent point. To bad CC and Morgan were grad transfers

Jeff mentioned this morning on the Deener show that he has a recruit on campus today with her parents. He said they flew back from Seattle on a red eye only to meet with this recruit Tuesday morning with just a couple hours to spare. He also mentioned that he hopes to sign 4 to 5 players out of the portal and that he’s looking for players that have 2 to 3 years of eligibility. After today they are in a dead period that runs through April 3 and then he has more portal recruits scheduled to come to campus on visits.

I don’t believe we will stop recruiting High School talent but he went on to say that in todays game, some of these kids will go to a smaller program and prove their value and then enter the portal. Ole Miss coach Yolett McPhee-McCuin said that if you don’t adapt to recruiting out of the portal, your program will die. Recruiting high school kids will and is taking a back seat. They had 6 players from the portal that got them to the Sweet 16. And last but not least, if our NIL does not improve for WBB, none of this will matter. I attend all of our WBB games and know there is a lot of major money sitting in those seats. We need local companies getting involved or we’ll be dead.
That’s good news that he intends to recruit players from the portal with 2-3 years remaining. Sounds like sound plan in this environment

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT