ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Coffey

Jan 5, 2011
Just said that there will be a local show on 790 at the 3 o’clock hour starting tomorrow and Gottlieb was a temporary fill in for that slot. No other details. I’m interested to see what that entails, but really don’t understand ending the R&R show.

Why do this when they already had a successful local afternoon show? Plus, Coffey kept his job?

Just said that there will be a local show on 790 at the 3 o’clock hour starting tomorrow and Gottlieb was a temporary fill in for that slot. No other details. I’m interested to see what that entails, but really don’t understand ending the R&R show.

They are going to fill it with people they don’t have to pay near as much as they had to pay R&R. That or fill it with a show that caters at least 50% Grovers...

They are going to fill it with people they don’t have to pay near as much as they had to pay R&R. That or fill it with a show that caters at least 50% Grovers...

What kind of coin does local on air talent make? It doesn't seem like a lucrative job. Like, a lot of these guys have multiple jobs, it seems.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
What kind of coin does local on air talent make? It doesn't seem like a lucrative job. Like, a lot of these guys have multiple jobs, it seems.

I’m sure in Louisville’s medium size market it’s not too much. Ramsey has been a fixture on Louisville radio for decades, more talented than Miners IMHO, so I’m sure he and Rutherford were getting decent pay. National conglomerates like iHeartMedia look to get something for nothing.

Both R&R have multiple local market gigs. This was just 4 hours of their day.

Coffey is very knowledgeable and does his homework. Similar to Howie, so it’s always a good listen. No bias or bull, tells it how it is and doesn’t try to be a jerk.

The Best:
1) Ennis & Luke
2) Rutherford
3) Maybin & Rummage
4) Howie
5) Coffey

The Worst:
1) Sweeney (complete dipshit and blatant troll)
2) Demling filling in on radio, or doing UofL games (can't string a coherent sentence together w/out stuttering over himself)
3) Lachlan (see #1)
4) Deener (Napoloen Complex)
5) Ramsey (just way over the top)

Reactions: Hold Me Back
R&R were terrible in my opinion. I couldn't listen to them longer than 5 minutes without switching..

Innis is best 3 oclock show in town for sure.

Maybin and Rumage are an entertaining listen in the mornings..

I can take Deener because he does have some really good guests, he kinds of a dipshit but he wears it well.

Not what they used to have. Radio is slowly dying on the vine just like print media. More and more promotional dollars are being put into digital inventory, which is a cluster until they figure it out.

Last edited:
Coffey is very knowledgeable and does his homework. Similar to Howie, so it’s always a good listen. No bias or bull, tells it how it is and doesn’t try to be a jerk.
I agree. Coffey has developed into a very good local talent. Not a bunch of goofy stuff, not a screamer, he knows his stuff and works hard to stay on point without being a jerk.

Apparently the only ad sponsors they can get is ED recovery. Over and over again. :rolleyes:

Perhaps this screams the “age group” of the listeners. I am more inclined to listen to Mark Ennis on 93.9 but I still would listen to R&R for a few minutes. I cannot stand Deener and spend very little time listening to him. Coffey has “grown” as a sports announcer but still has shortcomings. My argument is with 790 and their apparent theory of leaving the UofL listeners behind. If, indeed, they are going with a “neutral” show that would feature “both” schools they they should lose a huge portion of their listening audience and rightfully so. I certainly won’t listen and will only tune in 790 when 840 is strictly uahkay game broadcast.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I agree. Coffey has developed into a very good local talent. Not a bunch of goofy stuff, not a screamer, he knows his stuff and works hard to stay on point without being a jerk.

Completely agree. He's much better than a year ago. He is a bit repetitive if you listen from start to finish (like I often do in the office), but the numbers say your audience turns over every 10 minutes so that's probably why he does that.

Nick Coffey will hang around local sports radio longer than most because of his ties. If you notice, he won't say a cross word about Ukay once. Not one time, not ever. Footall, basketball, doesn't matter. Won't hear him say/tweet it. Who do you think got him his job....?

Nick Coffey will hang around local sports radio longer than most because of his ties. If you notice, he won't say a cross word about Ukay once. Not one time, not ever. Footall, basketball, doesn't matter. Won't hear him say/tweet it. Who do you think got him his job....?
Or he’s cheap and delivers a good audience that the big company in NYC cares about to make a profit. There isn’t a local UK conspiracy when it comes to WHAS and iHeart, they were losing moneynational company and are going to do what they can to make money.

Buddy you can think whatever you want, Nick's pockets are blue and I'm not talking new 100's.
Or he’s cheap and delivers a good audience that the big company in NYC cares about to make a profit. There isn’t a local UK conspiracy when it comes to WHAS and iHeart, they were losing moneynational company and are going to do what they can to make money.

Yeah, Vanetti is pretty bad and I’ve always thought he was a uahkay homer. He is an EKU grad. We’ll find out soon enough. The other guy is simply a yes man.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I was getting my car fixed today and the radio was on at the shop. I couldn’t believe my ears. Vinnetti & Jennings(?).....This is who they got to replace R&R? Pathetic. They were talking about Tim Tebow getting married for the first 30 minutes of the show. Lord, they are terrible. Ennis & Luke’s show should quadruple in ratings in that time slot.

Buddy you can think whatever you want, Nick's pockets are blue and I'm not talking new 100's.
Again, that does not matter. iHeart Radio is a the station. They’re in New York. They don’t care about UK. They want green in their pockets. There isn’t some scheme.

And unless you got proof, I’m going to say Nick Coffey is a great UofL fan and representative for our fan base. Classy and intelligent, just like our University and City.

Again, that does not matter. iHeart Radio is a the station. They’re in New York. They don’t care about UK. They want green in their pockets. There isn’t some scheme.

And unless you got proof, I’m going to say Nick Coffey is a great UofL fan and representative for our fan base. Classy and intelligent, just like our University and City.
L
Could not agree more.

Iheart must have bought them for a buy one get one free deal.
I think it was TWO for free. As I understand, they're on from 9 am-noon in addition to 3-6 pm. That's crazy. I don't know if it's temporary, but I've never heard of the same guys on the radio all day long!

How the hell bad are things at Iheart anyway?...

You can have Nick Coffey and to compare him to Howie is just plain crazy. I tried listening to him before and he’s a nit wit. If that dude does his homework I hate to see it when he doesn’t. I’ll stick with Mark and Luke

Reactions: gocds and zipp
You can have Nick Coffey and to compare him to Howie is just plain crazy. I tried listening to him before and he’s a nit wit. If that dude does his homework I hate to see it when he doesn’t. I’ll stick with Mark and Luke
You must have turned on Afternoon Underdogs and thought they were Nick Coffey!

Clear Channel has ruined all radio in Louisville and pretty much everywhere else.
Well also radio has become a dead format. The only way radio survives is ad sales now.

The Card Chronicle Podcast is a great listen for anyone needing a good fix of the Cards

Well also radio has become a dead format. The only way radio survives is ad sales now.

The Card Chronicle Podcast is a great listen for anyone needing a good fix of the Cards
I'm sure Mark E would disagree with you.

It depends on what you define as "radio". I probably listen to more of it now than I ever have in my life. But it's not over the airwaves, and not necessarily in real time. "Radio" is simply the construct in which content is produced and distributed...

I'm sure Mark E would disagree with you.

It depends on what you define as "radio". I probably listen to more of it now than I ever have in my life. But it's not over the airwaves, and not necessarily in real time. "Radio" is simply the construct in which content is produced and distributed...
Correct, the art of the voice broadcast is doing better than ever (I’ll work on a better name)

Although I was a little too much time listening to sports gambling podcasts, I always have my speakers with a podcast or live stream all through the work day.

I find Mark Blankenbaker to be very knowledgeable and enjoy his take. Overall, I find the list of local talent I like growing shorter and shorter while the list of those I dislike is getting very, very long!!!

I find Mark Blankenbaker to be very knowledgeable and enjoy his take. Overall, I find the list of local talent I like growing shorter and shorter while the list of those I dislike is getting very, very long!!!

Blankenbaker talks over Ennis too much for my liking.

My favorite Blankenbitter schticks: Gumer, Gumer, Gumer and Ashley, Ashley, Ashley!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT