ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Ratings down, College Ratings up

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Interesting that the same sport is showing different trajectories in terms of ratings in pro vs college. My thought is that there are probably a lot of different factors, rather than just one big factor. I think there definitely is some backlash to the Kaep protests. I think the homogenized NFL product is affecting the fun of the game as well. I love watching the varied offenses, traditions, characters in college football. On the other hand, the NFL has little variety and is very sanitized. Lastly, I think teams like Louisville are a big player in college ratings going up. People want to watch big games with a lot on the line. That is the appeal of the college football playoffs.

One other thing this has shown is the lunacy that conference realignment was based so much on "markets you can deliver". What we have learned is that people care about big games. So you can be near the New York market, but if your product sucks then people aren't going to watch. So in retrospect it would have made the most sense to base realignment on infrastructure in place to deliver great football (and other sports) teams, not what market you reside in.
http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/inde...on_why_do_you_think_nfl_ratings_are_down.html

The main issue is just bad matchups especially on Thursday, Sunday and the awful MNF schedule...but still the NFL is by far the leader in sports...

Seems the "systems" of certain coaching staffs have become more important than the personnel of the teams in some ways. It used to be a player's league. Of course there are still great players, but something is missing.

Moving the extra point back just did not turn up the excitement O Meter!!!

In one news story that I heard about the ratings dip in the NFL, some people cited the protesting as a reason why they have not been following it. Some people found it disrespectful to the flag. Others who did not think of it as disrespectful said they didn't want political statements in the NFL. They watch football to escape politics, and resented it being present.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
I said this in another thread this week: College football is just better than the NFL. For lots and lots of reasons.:D

IMO, it is much more fun to watch and more fun to follow your local university team; and there is that undervalued alumni thingy that the NFL just does not have, nor will it ever have.

The styles and game plans of the collegiate game just add so much to the match ups that take place; as well as the built in rivalries that exist due to tradition, geography, league and such, etc, etc, etc.;)

This is because you have a bunch of jack ass millionaires thinking they are proving something by kneeling for the anthem. They should be going out in the black, inner city communities and teaching family values, leading by example. Them kneeling does nothing and if you think it does then you are just as big of an idiot. Americans can be such sheep sometimes. How about not breaking the law and not having run ins with the law in the first place. If you do , then be respectful.

I prefer college to pro sports by a huge margin. And I'd like to think that the rest of the nation is starting to come around to my POV... :)

Also happen to believe that a lot of NFL interest is/was based on fantasy football...

Reactions: SoulSr and tluck28
This is because you have a bunch of jack ass millionaires thinking they are proving something by kneeling for the anthem. They should be going out in the black, inner city communities and teaching family values, leading by example. Them kneeling does nothing and if you think it does then you are just as big of an idiot. Americans can be such sheep sometimes. How about not breaking the law and not having run ins with the law in the first place. If you do , then be respectful.

Not breaking the law like the Georgia cop who shot herself and blamed
it on a Black man.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL drawfs College and actually all sports.

NFL players are duly compensated, while college players geneirate billions of dollars for Universities
and receive nada for their play.

Players strive to make it to the highest level.
We follow players for years, now you abandon them because they earn a paycheck?

Love college. Love the NFL.

Ponder this :

Still, the NFL is king. Last Monday's crappy Tampa/Carolina game got a 5.4 rating (while being on ESPN), while last Saturday's Bama/Arkansas game got a 3.9 rating. And the Sunday game (Giants/Packers) got a 9.3 rating despite being opposite the mudfest of a debate

U
Not breaking the law like the Georgia cop who shot herself and blamed
it on a Black man.

Stupid post..............
More whites are killed by cops on a yearly basis. Look up the stat. The NFL should be protesting black on black murders in the community. That I would understand.

NFL drawfs College and actually all sports.

NFL players are duly compensated, while college players geneirate billions of dollars for Universities
and receive nada for their play.

Players strive to make it to the highest level.
We follow players for years, now you abandon them because they earn a paycheck?

Love college. Love the NFL.

Ponder this :

Still, the NFL is king. Last Monday's crappy Tampa/Carolina game got a 5.4 rating (while being on ESPN), while last Saturday's Bama/Arkansas game got a 3.9 rating. And the Sunday game (Giants/Packers) got a 9.3 rating despite being opposite the mudfest of a debate

Yes, the NFL still delivers the highest ratings. This discussion is around the trajectory of ratings. College going up, NFL going down.

To address one other point you made, college athletes on scholarship are well compensated and are afforded huge media exposure.

Reactions: Mayoman
U

More whites are killed by cops on a yearly basis. Look up the stat. The NFL should be protesting black on black murders in the community. That I would understand.

Blacks kill Blacks 90% of the time.
Whites kill Whites 82% of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the NFL still delivers the highest ratings. This discussion is around the trajectory of ratings. College going up, NFL going down.

To address one other point you made, college athletes on scholarship are well compensated and are afforded huge media exposure.

Let me know when college ratings surpass the NFL.

College players are nowhere nearly, accurately compensated for the
money they generate.

You'll enjoy Lamar now. You'll wont follow his career when he's EARNING
a paycheck o_O

It seems like I read somewhere that the Presidential debates had hurt NFL ratings for some of their high profile night games. I can't remember the details. But if you have a debate going up against Sunday Night Football it's going to hurt.

I'm not saying this is the primary factor in the apparent change in ratings trajectory, but it may contribute somewhat, especially if you consider there's only 1 Sunday Night Football a week and we're not that far into the season.

I enjoy both College and Pro Football...but knew this thread would go somewhat political.....

Unfortunately too many people have their own agendas and feel the need to interject them. I could give a rip what anyone specifically thinks about Kaepernick's protest. Just interested in a discussion of why the NFL ratings have dropped.

I don't watch any pro sports to me it is nay as exciting. As far as college kids not being compensated I disagree. They are getting compensated greatly fee room and board, free education and multimillion dollar facilities to display their talents.
If they feel they are being cheated they can have their parents get together and chip in some money and build their own facilities. I wonder how long that would take and how good their product would be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT