ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Top 5 Candidates....

If by hire you’re talking about a basketball coach, I’ve lost interest
That's the thread topic.

You seem somewhat interested since you're reading and posting although you're not posting about the topic too much.

Again, not criticizing you for not having an answer to the Q. You don't have an answer, not saying an answer was required. Was just seeing if you had any head coaches in mind that would be satisfying.

I'm not saying I do, or anyone else does or doesn't. Was just wondering if you had any names that if were hired would satisfy you. Since you supplied no names, I assume you don't.

Fire up a thread on that.
For whatever reason—maybe because it simplifies the issue—fans wanna focus on the basketball coach. After enough bites at that apple, fans oughta know what the problem is not.

A more complex problem is to lay the blame higher up the ladder. But the current basketball coach didn’t lose a third of the paying fanbase in a few years, cut the budget by a third, or start a string of losing seasons. He’s just the latest athletic department blunder.

Let a new President decide who needs to hit the bricks as well. Get people in here who know how to run a major athletics program…

Reactions: KozmasAgain
For whatever reason—maybe because it simplifies the issue—fans wanna focus on the basketball coach. After enough bites at that apple, fans oughta know what the problem is not.

A more complex problem is to lay the blame higher up the ladder. But the current basketball coach didn’t lose a third of the paying fanbase in a few years, cut the budget by a third, or start a string of losing seasons. He’s just the latest athletic department blunder.

Let a new President decide who needs to hit the bricks as well. Get people in here who know how to run a major athletics program…
This thread isn't about the current coach, lost fans over the years, or a wish for a new President.

The thread is about the potential job opening for HC here, who is going to be the next coach, some lists, preferences, likes, dislikes, financial costs of who, etc. Out of respect to the OP and the readers I'm sticking to the topic. Not because it's "simple", but because it's the topic.

Nothing wrong with your opinion there are no potential hires that would satisfy you. Clearly then, this isn't all that simple. You have no suggestions. I'm not sure I do either. I thought you could surprise me with a few names, but no big deal.

If by hire you’re talking about a basketball coach, I’ve lost interest in attacking the problem there—because that’s not a long term fix. The basketball program was spiraling down before Payne got here.

We make no good decisions in athletics that don’t involve maintaining the status quo. What we wanna call accomplishments are keeping a baseball or volleyball coach. Why would I expect the same operation to go out and find a good coach in the very sport they have mostly laid waste to? It’s not logical.

The hire I wanna focus on is a President who’s little more than a name. She can’t possibly be doing anything for athletics. And if I just get to replace one person that means anything, it would be that position. Get someone outside academics with strong Louisville ties and who’s willing to break ranks with clowns…
You talk (write) as if Grissom and Postel are still running things. They are not. There has been extensive turnover on the BoT. It’s not “the same operation”. Granted they are in a tough spot, but you are assuming university management will fail at righting the ship because they caused the mess. But they didn’t. It’s different people. They just might turn this thing around. My opinion, however, is that they have bigger problems on the academic side that are a higher priority.

You talk (write) as if Grissom and Postel are still running things. They are not. There has been extensive turnover on the BoT. It’s not “the same operation”. Granted they are in a tough spot, but you are assuming university management will fail at righting the ship because they caused the mess. But they didn’t. It’s different people. They just might turn this thing around. My opinion, however, is that they have bigger problems on the academic side that are a higher priority.
The initial perpetrators crashing and burning was just Chapter 1. And that was five years ago.

What used to be perpetrators are now perpetuators. When have “different people” stepped up and said anything to discredit clowns who first orchestrated this? When has anyone acknowledged mistakes, bad behavior, or promised change? Remind me because I missed it.

I don’t follow the University like I do athletics, but I doubt clown results are temporary or limited to an operating area like the athletic department. I understand that money and enrollment are down for U of L overall which shouldn’t surprise anyone.

If we can find Kim $hitshow, my guess is you can indict her for more than I’ve done. But what did anyone expect out of Towson State?…

Your understanding of me is superficial. It’s a lot easier identifying our problems than the solutions. And I’m not being paid to fix anything.

As far as the guy whose job it is to fix, I already said Heird didn’t create most of our problems. But it’s important to understand whether he’s up to the task. Not even sure Jurich could get this train back on the tracks.

If avoid is the best course of action, follow your own advice…
Maybe because you are superficial and play the same note over and over and still call it music.
And, you are also not paid to complain about EVERYTHING! (caps only for emphasis).

Reactions: rh62531
The initial perpetrators crashing and burning was just Chapter 1. And that was five years ago.

What used to be perpetrators are now perpetuators. When have “different people” stepped up and said anything to discredit clowns who first orchestrated this? When has anyone acknowledged mistakes, bad behavior, or promised change? Remind me because I missed it.

I don’t follow the University like I do athletics, but I doubt clown results are temporary or limited to an operating area like the athletic department. I understand that money and enrollment are down for U of L overall which shouldn’t surprise anyone.

If we can find Kim $hitshow, my guess is you can indict her for more than I’ve done. But what did anyone expect out of Towson State?…
Once again, you seem confused about the job of a university president. I don’t know if the current president is any good or not. I do know that running a major athletic program should be a peripheral concern at most.

Reactions: rh62531
So then problem.... Solution. Zipp would want a Ben McCollum hire. He only makes $275,000 right now so we could get him dirt cheap and he'd be a phenomenal hire compared to what we have. I think we would have great success with him.
Ben plus…

An AD who will stand in front of a room, acknowledge our many mistakes, and present a plan that departs significantly from the current one.

Ben plus…

An AD who will stand in front of a room, acknowledge our many mistakes, and present a plan that departs significantly from the current o

Ben plus…

An AD who will stand in front of a room, acknowledge our many mistakes, and present a plan that departs significantly from the current one.
OK. Any suggestions on who the 2nd piece of the puzzle should be?

OK. Any suggestions on who the 2nd piece of the puzzle should be?
Oh Heird can get that done. He just has to be willing to. Gonna take a big pair.

One thing Heird should publicly state is we have deemphasized men’s basketball. People increasingly believe that anyway. Better to make him look like he knows WTF is going on.

Present it as a system problem or failure. Not as simple as Payne can’t coach. He hasn’t been set up to succeed. Allow the KP mafia to save a little face…

Last edited:
Reactions: UofLouisville
Oh Heird can get that done. He just has to be willing to. Gonna take a big pair.

One thing Heird should publicly state is we have deemphasized men’s basketball.
If anyone in the administration actually said that, the torches and pitchforks would soon follow. Would be nice if that brave soul also pointed fingers as well.

If anyone in the administration actually said that, the torches and pitchforks would soon follow. Would be nice if that brave soul also pointed fingers as well.
You could be right. But the fallout would be mostly on the inside. Heird would be throwing people like Tyra and his former bosses under the bus. Why would he/we care about the legacies of those people?

And Heird just might gain back some credibility from the people like me who no longer assign any credibility to U of L management. Unless he knows where that nets out, he needs to consider the calculus...

It wouldn't be the legacy of 'those' people we would care about. It would be the legacy of this program that 'those' people are ruining that would infuriate the fans who have lost interest in a top 10 program. There wouldn't be a mountain high enough or pit deep enough that 'those' people could hide in.

Then why does the AD report through the University?

In your world…
The AD reports through the university because traditionally the athletes are students on a university-sponsored team. Do you not understand what a university is? Do you not understand what the president of a university does? Just because someone reports “through the university” doesn’t mean that function is the main focus of the president’s time. Athletics should be minor (and frankly, it’s usually an irritant). It is only important to the extent that it helps the president connect with alumni and with the community at large for fund-raising.

Reactions: rh62531 and SoulSr
Does anyone think Louisville would even consider Cronin if he hadn’t coached here previously under Pitino? Gotta think about that.

After Pitino and after Mack I was never thrilled with the thought of Cronin being the Cards coach. Granted he or almost anyone would be better than what Payne has done though.

It wouldn't be the legacy of 'those' people we would care about. It would be the legacy of this program that 'those' people are ruining that would infuriate the fans who have lost interest in a top 10 program. There wouldn't be a mountain high enough or pit deep enough that 'those' people could hide in.
Then they either need to point the finger at those same perpetrators or reform themselves. Or go somewhere else to work.

The people inside U of L think they're guarding family secrets.

We know WTF went down and is still going down. What we want is CHANGE. And we want to know who's part of that or who's still against it, living in denial.

Continuing to do business the way we have been is a guaranteed money loser...

The AD reports through the university because traditionally the athletes are students on a university-sponsored team. Do you not understand what a university is? Do you not understand what the president of a university does? Just because someone reports “through the university” doesn’t mean that function is the main focus of the president’s time. Athletics should be minor (and frankly, it’s usually an irritant). It is only important to the extent that it helps the president connect with alumni and with the community at large for fund-raising.
I understand the principled, ivory tower view. And I understand the real world view. Try telling Alabama or the slapd!cks that athletics are a "minor, irritating" part of managing the university.

Ms. Towson State is MIA, and that will continue to be a problem for Heird and his department esp. considering where it is in 2024...

Ivory tower sports? LOL!! The sh@t show that set ground work for the State of Kentucky's partisan government to take over U of L was entirely caused by Ramsey and Jurich. A weak ass BOT granting massive bonus payments from the university trust. An athletic program already on probation, getting in trouble again because of a sex scandal. Even the accreditation of U of L diplomas was on the line at the time. Yeah, the governor replaced everyone he could.

But who cares, we won those games until the NCAA said we didn't. Ramsey and Jurich were happy to self impose a post season ban at the time. Just don't look at the amount of money going out the backdoor. Concentrate on what is coming in. The essence of any ponzi scheme.

Okay … anybody want to tell me that they’d rather just give CKP another year rather than hire Jeff Capel?😂

I don’t see a way Dan Hurley leaves UConn, so I’m not gonna mention him. But I do see a way that Chris Beard leaves Ole Miss, because we all know he most likely doesn’t want that to be his end destination. The coaching search needs to begin with him and we should only look elsewhere if for some weird reason he turns us down

Reactions: BPGhost
I don’t see a way Dan Hurley leaves UConn, so I’m not gonna mention him. But I do see a way that Chris Beard leaves Ole Miss...
Wouldn't Beard have a better option than to coach here with all of the risks involved? He can get SEC money if he's not already getting it...why would he take a chance here?...

Wouldn't Beard have a better option than to coach here with all of the risks involved? He can get SEC money if he's not already getting it...why would he take a chance here?...
1. Given his recent past, I’d say his options - relative to his ability - are going to be limited for the next few years. Perfect timing for UofL.

2. He is currently making less than UofL is paying the WOAT - so you would certainly expect that he would get an increase from UofL.

3. UofL is an all time top 10 CFB program - with all of the trappings that come with that - world class facilities, fan support that is typically top 5 in the country, ACC (at least for now) membership that comes with several marquee matchups and, the ability to compete for national championships.

4. With the possible exception of the yuts - coaching at every other sec school is a huge chance for the coach that takes it. Football is king and basketball is third place at several of those places.

UofL should offer him 4M with lots of incentives / performance bonuses and a low initial buyout that increases based upon longevity.

On Feb. 15, the Travis County District Attorney’s office announced they would not further pursue the case or prosecution. Not even a month later, on March 13, Beard was hired as the Rebel’s 23rd head coach.
That move was more than a questionable look for the athletic department and all of the donors and fans who supported the decision with little to no hesitancy. As a sports fan, I understand wanting your team to win by any means necessary. Usually when fans say that, it’s a figure of speech. I fear Ole Miss took it too literally. Now, we have a winning record to open the season, but at what cost?
With this hiring, Ole Miss has unfortunately become yet another institution that does not take domestic violence allegations seriously, whether the sports administration admits to it or not.
I ask this question: What if a student acted in that manner and received those criminal charges?
Or, a hellish hypothetical for the athletics department to ponder, a student-athlete?
What if it was a professor?
It is critical to understand that a student, professor, sorority girl, fraternity boy, chess club member, Esports star, Rebel Market enthusiast, Einstein Bros. frequenter or faculty member would likely not receive this sort of mercy from the university.
Proponents of Beard’s hiring would likely argue that he is innocent in the eyes of the criminal justice system and that all of this transpired prior to any involvement with the university. True enough. Still, the ambiguity and severity of the events that may have transpired leaves a glaring hole of doubt and concern.
Time and time again we see prominent industry heads like Beard crawl out of similar situations accountability free with only their reputations taking a hit. Despite the concerns this incident raised, Beard successfully found a university desperate enough to welcome him with open arms.
Winning may solve everything, but it doesn’t fix character concerns. In the grand scheme of things, Beard lost nothing this time around considering that his freedom and liberty were at risk. Not even a year later, he’s the figurehead for another D-1, Power-5 basketball program. Ultimately, is Chris Beard, and the baggage he’s brought to Oxford, what you want leading a group of young men?
Justice Rose is the opinion editor. He is a junior journalism major from Madison, Miss.

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
Ole Miss athletics are likely in far better financial condition presently than U of L's. Their most recent financial reports using GAAP accounting showed the athletics foundation to have over $40 million in net assets. see page 22

In contrast, U of L has less than $5 million. The only question is does Ole Miss wanna keep a guy like Beard. If so, U of L is not gonna pay him more money. He will use U of L to leverage a better situation for himself where there's more money to work with.

And that has nothing to do with whether U of L has the resources anymore to win here. Anyone watching U of L coaches blow up and fans emptying out the arena should wonder...

On Feb. 15, the Travis County District Attorney’s office announced they would not further pursue the case or prosecution. Not even a month later, on March 13, Beard was hired as the Rebel’s 23rd head coach.
That move was more than a questionable look for the athletic department and all of the donors and fans who supported the decision with little to no hesitancy. As a sports fan, I understand wanting your team to win by any means necessary. Usually when fans say that, it’s a figure of speech. I fear Ole Miss took it too literally. Now, we have a winning record to open the season, but at what cost?
With this hiring, Ole Miss has unfortunately become yet another institution that does not take domestic violence allegations seriously, whether the sports administration admits to it or not.
I ask this question: What if a student acted in that manner and received those criminal charges?
Or, a hellish hypothetical for the athletics department to ponder, a student-athlete?
What if it was a professor?
It is critical to understand that a student, professor, sorority girl, fraternity boy, chess club member, Esports star, Rebel Market enthusiast, Einstein Bros. frequenter or faculty member would likely not receive this sort of mercy from the university.
Proponents of Beard’s hiring would likely argue that he is innocent in the eyes of the criminal justice system and that all of this transpired prior to any involvement with the university. True enough. Still, the ambiguity and severity of the events that may have transpired leaves a glaring hole of doubt and concern.
Time and time again we see prominent industry heads like Beard crawl out of similar situations accountability free with only their reputations taking a hit. Despite the concerns this incident raised, Beard successfully found a university desperate enough to welcome him with open arms.
Winning may solve everything, but it doesn’t fix character concerns. In the grand scheme of things, Beard lost nothing this time around considering that his freedom and liberty were at risk. Not even a year later, he’s the figurehead for another D-1, Power-5 basketball program. Ultimately, is Chris Beard, and the baggage he’s brought to Oxford, what you want leading a group of young men?
Justice Rose is the opinion editor. He is a junior journalism major from Madison, Miss.

What’s the local college paper saying about your hero KP?

Reactions: CardsDan
Ole Miss athletics are likely in far better financial condition presently than U of L's. Their most recent financial reports using GAAP accounting showed the athletics foundation to have over $40 million in net assets. see page 22

In contrast, U of L has less than $5 million. The only question is does Ole Miss wanna keep a guy like Beard. If so, U of L is not gonna pay him more money. He will use U of L to leverage a better situation for himself where there's more money to work with.

And that has nothing to do with whether U of L has the resources anymore to win here. Anyone watching U of L coaches blow up and fans emptying out the arena should wonder...
I know this might sound foreign to you but, it’s not always about the money.

Let you in on some info. The good folks in Oxford, MS could give two shits about basketball. A coach who is passionate about winning knows that he has a much higher ceiling coaching at a place that does give a shit about basketball. He will always be third fiddle behind fall football and spring football.

It’s not JUST about money, but that’s most of it. U of L is at best a B- on that metric.

Then it’s about institutional support. Anyone wanna defend this institution’s support of men’s basketball in 2023? Solid D.

It’s also about fan support. A twenty thousand seat arena that’s 25% full on a regular basis. Incomplete if I’m being gracious; maybe a C for a good opponent.

It’s about players. Who on this team would get much PT for the average SEC team? How could we be anything but an F??

That’s not a great report card to attract anyone with potential, and forget about proven winners…

It’s not JUST about money, but that’s most of it. U of L is at best a B- on that metric.

Then it’s about institutional support. Anyone wanna defend this institution’s support of men’s basketball in 2023? Solid D.

It’s also about fan support. A twenty thousand seat arena that’s 25% full on a regular basis. Incomplete if I’m being gracious; maybe a C for a good opponent.

It’s about players. Who on this team would get much PT for the average SEC team? How could we be anything but an F??

That’s not a great report card to attract anyone with potential, and forget about proven winners…
Most coaches I’ve been around would likely say - there is a historic program that has had success in the not too distant past. They are at rock bottom and the fanbase is waiting to be energized. It generates the most revenue in college basketball in one of the largest cities without a major league level team and consistently has the highest levels of engagement with college basketball. They are in a power conference with other teams that are in transition. They have leveraged the heck out of NIL with football; imagine what they could do with basketball. While there are some red flags all in all things look pretty appealing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT