ADVERTISEMENT

NCAAT Discussion Thread

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Even though Cards aren't in it, I'll watch some games in the tournament. This is just a thread for people to discuss the games and tournament.

Reactions: earsky
2 decent play-in games last night. Did not watch either game in their entirety but I did catch most of the 2nd half and the end of both games.

I will still watch most of the tournament or as many games as I can.

I'll watch our games when we get back in, but other than that I no longer have any desire to watch other teams at this point.

If I'm bettin,I'm watchin.
Also,I've got brackets to keep an eye on.
Just bought Sling to catch most of these games today. I also made a few small wagers on a couple of long shots,and of course I'm a huge Friar fan on St Patty's Day tomorrow 😀 😄

Reactions: shadow force
This tournament is so random. Purdue couldn’t hit wide open shots and FDU they seemed like every contested shot went in.

This tournament is so random. Purdue couldn’t hit wide open shots and FDU they seemed like every contested shot went in.
Agree,but that's it right there.
It's probably why Purdue stubbed their toe down the home stretch, not a consistently good shooting team.

Too dependent on ”the big guy” …… Matt wanted the ball to go inside every trip down, and I think the rest of the team lost confidence in their own game. That loss at home to IU seemed to affect the swagger.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
It is also randomness in your opponents.

How do you game plan for a guy that for the season and probably his career shoot 27 percent hitting dagger after dagger? Then since they couldn’t hit a 3 FDU could throw 3-5 players at the giant.

Virginia style is god awful for this tournament. It is great for the regular season. Every game ends up a dog fight eventually you are going to lose one. The pressure of being a high seed eventually cracks them.

Watching Arizona, Purdue and UVA losing to underdogs in this tournament prompts a lot of opinions and criticism towards the coaches and their respective styles.

Personally, I think the college game as changed so dramatically over the last few years, that so many of these “mid-major upsets” are much more about parity and the one game elimination in this tournament.

I agree we don’t appreciate how hard it is to advance and win it all.

Houston gets Auburn in a road environment. Kansas gets an athletic team like Arkansas. Both in the 1st weekend. Man that is tough.

Exactly, and those are tough matchups particularly with a huge target on your back. I expect at least one if not two upsets there, and I had Houston in the semifinals in my bracket.

Not so fast. The Kentucky/K-State game should be interesting this afternoon. K-State has put them out of the tournament before.

This has been a really good tournament. One thing you notice in many of these games (basketball and tournament in general) is that you have to be able to execute down the stretch. The attention to detail and a team’s mental toughness get tested. Often overlooked or unnoticed. The game can and does slow down so much.

Interesting stat I heard today since 1987 no team has won it all that didn’t have at least 1 NBA 1st round draft pick. We can talk coaching all day long but if you don’t have at least 1 Pro player on your team history tells us your team isn’t winning the title.

It has always been about Jimmy’s and Joe’s. Without them a team may do great in regular season and may even win a few games in NCAA but you aren’t winning it all.

No doubt you need some talent and most often pro talent. I think one of the things overlooked about coaching is not even so much X and O’s in game…. Although I do think in game coaching/adjustments can be critical…. Even if only a slight adjustment.

It’s the things we don’t necessarily see that are the most important aspects of coaching. Getting said talent to gel and in the right positions to succeed. Game prep and film review of teams and their tendencies. Practices… Philosophy… Motivation… System… Having a game plan and your team ready to play mentally even with talent is critical.

Seeing some really good players and coaching in this tournament.

Interesting stat I heard today since 1987 no team has won it all that didn’t have at least 1 NBA 1st round draft pick. We can talk coaching all day long but if you don’t have at least 1 Pro player on your team history tells us your team isn’t winning the title.

It has always been about Jimmy’s and Joe’s. Without them a team may do great in regular season and may even win a few games in NCAA but you aren’t winning it all.
Does that mean the 86 team didn't have a first round pick?

Does that mean the 86 team didn't have a first round pick?
The '86 Louisville team had Pervis Ellison, the number one pick in the whole 1989 draft.

Billy T was a first round pick in 1986. (Milt was a second round pick that year.) And, believe it or not, Kenny Payne was also a first round pick in 1989.

Reactions: ColdCard
Can't wait to see some of these games this week. Some seriously juicy match-ups. The Canes have a legitimate chance to knock off Houston. UCONN and Arkansas should be a doozy. San Diego St and Alabama. I see some nice opportunities to make some $$$

No one is immune to cold or hot shooting. That is what happens in this tournament. Miami shoots 29% against Drake and then lights up a much better defensive team in Indiana. KSU hits 3-3’s at the right time and UK has Reeves who was lights outs until yesterday.

It is the beauty of the tournament.

Reactions: Mayoman
Can't wait to see some of these games this week. Some seriously juicy match-ups. The Canes have a legitimate chance to knock off Houston. UCONN and Arkansas should be a doozy. San Diego St and Alabama. I see some nice opportunities to make some $$$
San Diego St will make it tough on Alabama. They are very good defensively.

Miami shoots 29% against Drake and then lights up a much better defensive team in Indiana.
I look at it like Miami had their bad shooting game against Drake and survived. Some of these other high seeds couldn't survive and advance. Credit the coaching move of going full court press(wow,what a concept) from Larranga. Had a feeling they weren't going to shoot it that bad against IU. The key to me is to have multiple guys, preferably guards,that can shoot the 3. They are a scary team if they all get it going.

Or...you have a fantastic point guard like K St's Nowell(KP are you watching 👀).
And then there's Creighton, a team that runs flawless half court execution (KP are you watching 👀) to get great looks.
It's not the Manhattan Project. It's a guards game.

So who does everybody like going forward?
Maybe besides Houston

I'll start
UConn- tradition rich and talented. I think either Creighton or SD St could get to the Final Four on that side.

This has been a really good tournament. Some really good 1st and 2nd round games with more good games to come at the the end of the week.

South - Alabama. I’m not sure anyone is playing better than them right now offensively and defensively.

East - Kansas St or Michigan St. Winner of that game is going to the Final Four.

Midwest - The toughest region left in my opinion. I could see anyone of those 4 teams going to the Final Four. Houston and Miami should be a great game.

West - UCLA. Hard to trust a PAC-12 team but Cronin has a good team. Again, 4 solid teams that should make for 2 really good games in the Sweet Sixteen.

Reactions: earsky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT