ADVERTISEMENT

Ncaa slams Stephen F Austin

So what was the "difference of opinion"?

Unlike a speeding ticket, a show cause order is the most serious penalty that can be assessed against a coach...

A show cause can be serious for the coach if the punishment is serious. Hurtt got suspended for 1 season and it was basically all over. For the school it was not serious at all if Hurtt kept his nose clean here. It came down more to if Jurich trusted Hurtt to follow the rules than anything to do with willingness to fight the Ncaa.

Whose silence proves they agree with Pitino? We weren't going to hear anything publicly from his lawyers and he and the school had just settled for no money. There was probably some language that both would shut up about it and even if it wasn't it would be pointless to come out and refute Pitino. You basically got everything you wanted. Tyra etc.. would be beyond stupid to start arguing with Pitino again after he settled.

Of course Pitino's lawyers didn't want him to settle. Even if he was wrong the school would likely settle for some money at some point just to get past it. The lawyers were getting paid either way the longer the case went.
You don't understand how high profile lawyers get paid. They're not ambulance chasers, and their clients have the resources to pay them without a contingency. Pitino's lawyers thought he had a good case which is why they didn't advise him to drop his lawsuit.

Which is what happened--Pitino dropped it. To my knowledge, this wasn't a consent judgment where each side agrees to certain behavior.

We have fanboy narratives in this space where fanboys believe what they wanna believe, reality be damned.
A show cause can be serious for the coach if the punishment is serious. Hurtt got suspended for 1 season and it was basically all over. For the school it was not serious at all if Hurtt kept his nose clean here. It came down more to if Jurich trusted Hurtt to follow the rules than anything to do with willingness to fight the Ncaa.
And you don't understand the consequences of a show cause order for the coach's employer...

This in is an 8.5 with plenty of time to grow. May need Casper to get us to the 10.

thats-what-she-said.jpg

Pitino didn’t say he had a “winning case.” He said he was acting in opposition to the advice of his counsel. And from their silence, they apparently agreed with that. Those are facts and logical inferences.

Everything else is your speculation and narrative. And since you raised the issue of Pitino’s credibility, apparently you think you have more than he does. Funny stuff...

Pitino basically got the bare minimum to even call what happened a “settlement”. It was basically one step before the arbitrator throwing the whole damn lawsuit out. He got no money, still had to pay his own legal bills and got a little bone thrown at him where his personnel file says he resigned (and clearly anyone with an IP address will know that didn’t actually happen). The motive for Pitino to say he “went against the advice of counsel” is clear. It allows his ego to think he could’ve “won” had he kept pursuing it but he didn’t do that for the greater good lol. It allowed his attorneys to look like they still wanted to fight. Facts are the facts though. He was seeking $40M and got $0.

Reactions: gocds
Pitino basically got the bare minimum to even call what happened a “settlement”. It was basically one step before the arbitrator throwing the whole damn lawsuit out. He got no money, still had to pay his own legal bills and got a little bone thrown at him where his personnel file says he resigned (and clearly anyone with an IP address will know that didn’t actually happen). The motive for Pitino to say he “went against the advice of counsel” is clear. It allows his ego to think he could’ve “won” had he kept pursuing it but he didn’t do that for the greater good lol. It allowed his attorneys to look like they still wanted to fight. Facts are the facts though. He was seeking $40M and got $0.
Take off your fanboy hat, and find that in a link somewhere. And you'll start to reestablish some credibility...

You don't understand how high profile lawyers get paid. They're not ambulance chasers, and their clients have the resources to pay them without a contingency. Pitino's lawyers thought he had a good case which is why they didn't advise him to drop his lawsuit.

Which is what happened--Pitino dropped it. To my knowledge, this wasn't a consent judgment where each side agrees to certain behavior.

We have fanboy narratives in this space where fanboys believe what they wanna believe, reality be damned.

And you don't understand the consequences of a show cause order for the coach's employer...

I said the lawyers got paid the longer the case went on win or lose. I do think that Pitino would have gotten some sort of settlement eventually though. I don't doubt it was against his lawyers advice to just drop it because the longer it went on the more likely it was it would get some money.

If Tyra and the school got into a public spat over this single minor comment after they had just settled without paying him a dime they'd be the dumb clown show you love to call them. It would be stupid and petty. Their silence only proves Pitino was right those trying to further an agenda.

A show cause is as serious as the sanctions a coach is facing. Once the coach serves his punishment it loses it does nothing if the coach stay clean. It was a low risk for Jurich if he thought he could trust Hurtt to not break the rules again.

I said the lawyers got paid the longer the case went on win or lose. I do think that Pitino would have gotten some sort of settlement eventually though. I don't doubt it was against his lawyers advice to just drop it because the longer it went on the more likely it was it would get some money.

If Tyra and the school got into a public spat over this single minor comment after they had just settled without paying him a dime they'd be the dumb clown show you love to call them. It would be stupid and petty. Their silence only proves Pitino was right those trying to further an agenda. All of this narrative after the fact in this thread is fanboy and butthurt talking.

A show cause is as serious as the sanctions a coach is facing. Once the coach serves his punishment it loses it does nothing if the coach stay clean. It was a low risk for Jurich if he thought he could trust Hurtt to not break the rules again.
Pitino said what he said. The only reason he didn't do or say more about clowns is--again--because he was looking for a job. That's not my analysis, that's what the world was saying while he was suing U of L clowns. All of this narrative after the fact in this thread is fanboy and butthurt talking.

AND you don't understand the full set of consequences for everyone in a show cause ruling. Research it as I have. You're acting like it's insignificant, and that's because you don't know what it represents...

Take off your fanboy hat, and find that in a link somewhere. And you'll start to reestablish some credibility...

Surely you can find out the settlement details. Pitino got next to nothing. And everything else is understanding motives. You choose to rely on Pitino quotes when it matches your strange narratives. Pitino blamed the self imposing squarely on Jurich and you could to ignore that quote. SAD!

Surely you can find out the settlement details. Pitino got next to nothing. And everything else is understanding motives. You choose to rely on Pitino quotes when it matches your strange narratives. Pitino blamed the self imposing squarely on Jurich and you could to ignore that quote. SAD!
Pitino and Jurich agreed to bail out Ramsey, and Jurich had more cred with the fanbase than anyone to make the decisions. That's why Pitino "blamed" him...LOL.

And since you need help, I'll spell out what I need you find references for...

"It was basically one step before the arbitrator throwing the whole damn lawsuit out."

"[Pitino] got no money, still had to pay his own legal bills and got a little bone thrown at him where his personnel file says he resigned..."

"The motive for Pitino to say he “went against the advice of counsel” is clear. It allows his ego to think he could’ve “won” had he kept pursuing it but he didn’t do that for the greater good..."

"It allowed his attorneys to look like they still wanted to fight."
(That would be evidence that his attorneys did NOT want to "fight".)

Absent hard info to back you up, those are just after-the-fact clown show narratives...

Pitino and Jurich agreed to bail out Ramsey, and Jurich had more cred with the fanbase than anyone to make the decisions. That's why Pitino "blamed" him...LOL.

And since you need help, I'll spell out what I need you find references for...

"It was basically one step before the arbitrator throwing the whole damn lawsuit out."

"[Pitino] got no money, still had to pay his own legal bills and got a little bone thrown at him where his personnel file says he resigned..."

"The motive for Pitino to say he “went against the advice of counsel” is clear. It allows his ego to think he could’ve “won” had he kept pursuing it but he didn’t do that for the greater good..."

"It allowed his attorneys to look like they still wanted to fight."
(That would be evidence that his attorneys did NOT want to "fight".)

Absent hard info to back you up, those are just after-the-fact clown show narratives...

“U of L will pay no money to Pitino, but his personnel file will be amended to say he resigned his position – something he was given the offer to do after Louisville’s involvement in a college basketball corruption scandal was revealed by the FBI in 2017.

But on Wednesday morning, the U of L athletic association approved a settlement that would cost the university nothing. The parties will each pay their own legal bills.“

Pitino said what he said. The only reason he didn't do or say more about clowns is--again--because he was looking for a job. That's not my analysis, that's what the world was saying while he was suing U of L clowns. All of this narrative after the fact in this thread is fanboy and butthurt talking.

AND you don't understand the full set of consequences for everyone in a show cause ruling. Research it as I have. You're acting like it's insignificant, and that's because you don't know what it represents...

I believe that Pitino went against his lawyer's advice and he wanted to to return to coaching and needed to resolve the lawsuit to do that. I never said he didn't. Pitino would have gotten some sort of settlement. None of that makes what I said wrong. The school would be stupid to basically get everything it wanted out of the dispute and then argue with Pitino's comment which is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I will let Pitino believe he ended this and save 40 million dollars. Arent you a lawyer of some sort? Would you tell your client that got what it wanted (not paying 40 mil) out of the case to now get into a public media battle with the other party over a comment that doesn't even matter?

What is a show cause penalty according to you? You continue to claim you know so much about it but then don't explain what you think it is. The show cause is only a problem for the other school if the coach does something at that school while under probation. Depending on what the penalties are for the coach it isn't that big of a deal for the school. If Hurtt wasn't already here and killing it recruiting I doubt he'd be hired with the show cause, but he was so we took the one year susupension for him and kept moving.

I believe that Pitino went against his lawyer's advice and he wanted to to return to coaching and needed to resolve the lawsuit to do that. I never said he didn't. Pitino would have gotten some sort of settlement. None of that makes what I said wrong. The school would be stupid to basically get everything it wanted out of the dispute and then argue with Pitino's comment which is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I will let Pitino believe he ended this and save 40 million dollars. Arent you a lawyer of some sort? Would you tell your client that got what it wanted (not paying 40 mil) out of the case to now get into a public media battle with the other party over a comment that doesn't even matter?...
You're trying to create your own argument... To my knowledge and unless you can produce the evidence otherwise, no one was tying PITINO's tongue nor his lawyers. This isn't a debate about what U of L could say--I agree it made no sense for clowns to say anything.

A few people here have tried to create their own narratives about what Pitino was thinking or what was going on behind the scenes when he dropped the suit. And that's just fanboy talk...
...What is a show cause penalty according to you? You continue to claim you know so much about it but then don't explain what you think it is. The show cause is only a problem for the other school if the coach does something at that school while under probation. Depending on what the penalties are for the coach it isn't that big of a deal for the school. If Hurtt wasn't already here and killing it recruiting I doubt he'd be hired with the show cause, but he was so we took the one year susupension for him and kept moving.
Employing someone in defiance of a show cause ruling puts the school in a precarious position--EVEN IF the coach was already employed by the school. There were consequences for U of L, actual or contingent, and that's why Jurich justified his decision based on a "difference of opinion." He pretty consistently and maybe to a fault stood behind his coaches and accepted that risk. That is fact...

“U of L will pay no money to Pitino, but his personnel file will be amended to say he resigned his position – something he was given the offer to do after Louisville’s involvement in a college basketball corruption scandal was revealed by the FBI in 2017.

But on Wednesday morning, the U of L athletic association approved a settlement that would cost the university nothing. The parties will each pay their own legal bills.“
I'll be glad to sign any "settlement" saying I owe you no money. Pitino de facto DROPPED his lawsuit.

" 'Against my lawyer's advice I'm dropping my lawsuit with ULAA,' Pitino said..."
LINK

I'll be glad to sign any "settlement" saying I owe you no money. Pitino de facto DROPPED his lawsuit.

" 'Against my lawyer's advice I'm dropping my lawsuit with ULAA,' Pitino said..."
LINK

I’m not even sure what you are arguing now but Pitino did not drop the lawsuit. That’s a fact. He was party to the settlement. Now he didn’t get much of anything but he did have to sign the settlement. Dropping a suit and settling aren’t the same thing. Regardless of the facts the original discussion revolves around Pitino’s motives. I do remember you thinking and hoping Pitino would get the $40M. “Just a bit outside...“

I’m not even sure what you are arguing now but Pitino did not drop the lawsuit. That’s a fact. He was party to the settlement. Now he didn’t get much of anything but he did have to sign the settlement. Dropping a suit and settling aren’t the same thing. Regardless of the facts the original discussion revolves around Pitino’s motives. I do remember you thinking and hoping Pitino would get the $40M. “Just a bit outside...“
Pitino dropped his suit because he didn't want it hanging over his head while looking for another job. I hoped he would continue because it had merit, and he was going against U of L clowns.

For some reason in an unrelated thread, YOU brought up Pitino and his lawsuit in post #21.
Zipp why do you think Rick settled?
I just reiterated the popular view. It was widely discussed when he kept coming up short looking for another college gig. I didn't create it or research it, I'm just repeating it. And it's the only explanation that makes sense to me esp. walking away with no money...

Last edited:
He dropped the lawsuit because he became aware of the potential revelations during the “lawsuit process” that would destroy any possibilities of acquiring a college basketball coaching job. Not to mention what those revelations might do to his personal reputation as if he hadn’t already destroyed any perceived reputation. And, NO, I am not spouting about things I know nothing about. In fact, I would think that with your “connections” you would have been filled in on these things also but your continued attacks against the so called “clown show” prevent you from seeing the forest for the trees.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

He dropped the lawsuit because he became aware of the potential revelations during the “lawsuit process” that would destroy any possibilities of acquiring a college basketball coaching job. Not to mention what those revelations might do to his personal reputation as if he hadn’t already destroyed any perceived reputation. And, NO, I am not spouting about things I know nothing about. In fact, I would think that with your “connections” you would have been filled in on these things also but your continued attacks against the so called “clown show” prevent you from seeing the forest for the trees...
So the theory goes, the PROCESS of litigating against a former employer discourages others from employing you. The grounds don't matter. Your "revelations" are and always have been speculation only.

As I've mentioned on many occasions, the FBI, NCAA, and U of L have had years to investigate Pitino and circumstances around his employment. There's never been any dirt anyone has dug up that you and I don't know about. And none of those entities have any motive to keep info private; to the contrary, they will leak info before they ever use it.

You can keep telling yourself there was more to the Pitino story. Unfortunately, you've never had any facts backing up what you wanna believe...

So the theory goes, the PROCESS of litigating against a former employer discourages others from employing you. The grounds don't matter. Your "revelations" are and always have been speculation only.

As I've mentioned on many occasions, the FBI, NCAA, and U of L have had years to investigate Pitino and circumstances around his employment. There's never been any dirt anyone has dug up that you and I don't know about. And none of those entities have any motive to keep info private; to the contrary, they will leak info before they ever use it.

You can keep telling yourself there was more to the Pitino story. Unfortunately, you've never had any facts backing up what you wanna believe...

The only source for your “fact” is Pitino’s self-serving quote.

Last edited:
Reactions: gocds
I just reiterated the popular view. It was widely discussed when he kept coming up short looking for another college gig. I didn't create it or research it, I'm just repeating it. And it's the only explanation that makes sense to me esp. walking away with no money...

Are you saying Rick was clueless as to how long a 35-40 million dollar lawsuit against a former employer might take to conclude, and how such a lawsuit might look to other potential college basketball employers when considering interviewing and/or hiring him? Are you trying to tell me Rick thought this would be case closed 60-90 days? Or do you think Rick thought UCLA may go ahead and hire him while this case was pending? Surely you don't think Rick is a moron do you?

UofL filed a counter-suit 2 weeks after he filed his. So if we want to pretend Rick was just oblivious to the "side effects" (Spoiler Alert - He Wasn't) when he filed his lawsuit, he couldn't be oblivious to the "side effects" any longer. This thing was gonna drag for years, and it was obvious at that juncture. And that's exactly what happened. That is, until he threw in the towel and got pretty much nothing.

Maybe I'm overlooking something. I do believe he missed coaching for sure. I just am not sure that's his overriding reason for hugging it out, because he had to know he wasn't going to get to coach college ball until this mess got sorted out. He could have folded long before he did right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Knucklehank1
Are you saying Rick was clueless as to how long a 35-40 million dollar lawsuit against a former employer might take to conclude, and how such a lawsuit might look to other potential college basketball employers when considering interviewing and/or hiring him? Are you trying to tell me Rick thought this would be case closed 60-90 days? Or do you think Rick thought UCLA may go ahead and hire him while this case was pending? Surely you don't think Rick is a moron do you?

UofL filed a counter-suit 2 weeks after he filed his. So if we want to pretend Rick was just oblivious to the "side effects" (Spoiler Alert - He Wasn't) when he filed his lawsuit, he couldn't be oblivious to the "side effects" any longer. This thing was gonna drag for years, and it was obvious at that juncture. And that's exactly what happened. That is, until he threw in the towel and got pretty much nothing.

Maybe I'm overlooking something. I do believe he missed coaching for sure. I just am not sure that's his overriding reason for hugging it out, because he had to know he wasn't going to get to coach college ball until this mess got sorted out. He could have folded long before he did right?
I think Pitino underestimated how much trouble he was gonna have landing another college job. Two years and several slammed doors later, he believed it. Maybe he always knew that suing U of L would be a problem, but if anything surprised him, it was how much of a problem that was.

It helped U of L in the end that Pitino was older and had plenty of money. He heard a clock ticking, and a U of L lawsuit wasn't a lottery ticket to him. As much as $35+ million is, he didn't need the money...

Wrong. It's what I was told months before Pitino's decision to drop his lawsuit, what he needed to do to get a job...

Ah...that’s what you were told. Well I was told his lawsuit was a joke. And gocds was told that Pitino was afraid more damaging info would be revealed.

I think Pitino underestimated how much trouble he was gonna have landing another college job.

I thought Rick was a genius. I still do, even though I'm stunned to see you insult his intelligence here but hey you are entitled to your opinion!

You're going with the "Pitino was an idiot and just didn't think this one through when he filed a lawsuit for 35 million" line of defense here.

Why do you think Pitino sued UofL?

And which programs slammed their doors on Rick other than UofL (LOL!)

Last edited:
Ah...that’s what you were told. Well I was told his lawsuit was a joke. And gocds was told that Pitino was afraid more damaging info would be revealed.
You were told that by U of L fanboys, or you told yourselves. IOW sources without credibility.

Les Miles, who's about the same age as Pitino, is an example of an out-of-work coach looking for another job AND willing to leave millions on the table (with LSU) to make a clean break fast...

Last edited:
I thought Rick was a genius. I still do, even though I'm stunned to see you insult his intelligence here but hey you are entitled to your opinion!

You're going with the "Pitino was an idiot and just didn't think this one through when he filed a lawsuit for 35 million" line of defense here.

Why do you think Pitino sued UofL?

And which programs slammed their doors on Rick other than UofL (LOL!)
Pitino's hardly a genius unless your standard for that is low. He's closest at coaching basketball. He's not an idiot, but I don't think he anticipated the difficulty he was gonna have landing a job he wanted. I wish he would have just said "enough's enough" as far as coaching and let his attorneys do their jobs.

You probably know better than me the teams with which his name surfaced the last few years. Without researching it, I recall St. John's and Grand Canyon at the college level, the Bucks and the Cavs in the pros...

Pitino's hardly a genius unless your standard for that is low. He's closest at coaching basketball. He's not an idiot, but I don't think he anticipated the difficulty he was gonna have landing a job he wanted. I wish he would have just said "enough's enough" as far as coaching and let his attorneys do their jobs.

You probably know better than me the teams with which his name surfaced the last few years. Without researching it, I recall St. John's and Grand Canyon at the college level, the Bucks and the Cavs in the pros...

You said "I think Pitino underestimated how much trouble he was gonna have landing another college job. Two years and several slammed doors later, he believed it."

Bucks and Cavs are not college basketball jobs I don't know why they were listed as examples. A HC in the NBA is a small fraternity. anyway. College coaches that make that jump are typically "hot commodities" at that time. Unless you think Rick is a total moron, he knew he obviously wasn't a "hot commodity" post FBI scandal while pushing a 35-40 million $ lawsuit against his former employer!!! I'll grant the NBA does not care about strippers or sex on tables in public after hours! That type of lifestyle may have made him a better candidate!

Your 2 college examples are St John's and Grand Canyon.

Grand Canyon rumors in March 2020 , Pitino lawsuit dropped September 2019. So the timeline on that one just blows up the theory on that example, sorry.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...rand-canyon-university-per-report/5039580002/
GC an impossible example of the lawsuit causing that door to slam in his face. He took the Iona job in March 2020. Lawsuit was gonzo LOL! He very well could have had a choice of GC or Iona, not that it matters. Timelines matter. So GC isn't a door slamming in his face.

In regards to St. John's I see this...https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-louisville/article229016504.html and this...

Not exactly a door slamming in his face. Looked like non-starting road with immediate detour involving his own choices and goofy public stipulation.

Point is, a ton of doors didn't really slam in his face. That's a false narrative conjured up feeding his narcissism, I think. I allow wiggle room if somebody can come up with multiple links showing communication between Rick/his agent/potential job suitors.

Maybe it can be said he was in exile. That "might" be due to multiple reasons LOL!

As for that "IQ" of his...if you think he didn't realize a 35 million dollar lawsuit against his previous employer in the college bball world would greatly impact his marketability in the college basketball job force then you think he is a complete idiot. Genius may be a stretch, but he sure did know how to navigate his way around legal issues. If you recall, just a few years earlier, he came out "on top" in a highly publicized extortion case. He also seemed to have a lot of legal contracts drawn up throughout his life that served him well. He's rich bitch! Just a quote not calling you a B LOL! Rick knew exactly what he was getting himself into with that lawsuit.

Not the guy's first rodeo in a courtroom. Nope. Can't go Forrest Gump on Rick nobody thinks that. I honestly can't believe you have gone from calling the guy a maestro to Forrest Gump in the same space to hang on to a shaky hypothesis that would boost his image.

Why did Pitino sue UofL for 35-40 million, whatever it was?

Last edited:
Though this lawsuit wouldn't be considered an "injury" lawsuit I find this link to be interesting and applicable, with some obvious explanations as to why people "settle" in lawsuits.
https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/personal-injury/advantages-settle-lawsuit-out-court.html

Trials are Stressful
Both parties can be subjected to examination and cross-examination on the witness stand, and have their past (and their character) publicly scrutinized.

Liability and Damages are Unpredictable at Trial
Trials are notoriously unpredictable. Key evidence might be excluded by the judge, eyewitnesses might come across as unreliable, inconsistencies in the plaintiff’s testimony might come out, etc. The modern legal system is designed to take surprises out of the trial process, but the system is not fool proof.

The Trial and Appeals Process Can Take Years
A trial will often not commence until more than a year after the initial lawsuit is filed. Even after one of the parties wins at trial, the other party can prolong the uncertainty by appealing the outcome.

Settlements are Private, Trials are Not
All the details of a trial are public record. This means all of the witness testimony, all of the evidence, everything the two sides used to make each other look as bad as possible, will be available for anyone to read. By settling the personal injury case out of court, the parties are in complete control of what remains private and what remains public, including the terms of settlement.

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish with your research. If you're trying to say dropping his lawsuit had nothing to do with landing a job he wanted, you're gonna have to do similar research on the reason you think he did make the decision. Offering hypotheticals is not any better evidence than I'm applying.

I do think the smoking gun notion is bogus considering the degree of investigative work focused on Pitino over a period of years by multiple entities (FBI, U of L, etc.) That's just fanboy and butthurt talking...

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish with your research. If you're trying to say dropping his lawsuit had nothing to do with landing a job he wanted, you're gonna have to do similar research on the reason you think he did make the decision. Offering hypotheticals is not any better evidence than I'm applying.

I do think the smoking gun notion is bogus considering the degree of investigative work focused on Pitino over a period of years by multiple entities (FBI, U of L, etc.) That's just fanboy and butthurt talking...

No. I don't have to have an alternative explanation to shoot down another explanation. If you tell me Burger King is the best restaurant in the world I can simply tell you it is not, without telling you what the best restaurant in the world is.

I mean I'm not saying you are 100% in the wrong, we're all speculating. I don't completely dismiss the smoking gun because it is common for attorney's to hold back information until very late in the game in trials. What that piece of information might be may not be criminal, but it could be humiliating.

I also think it's possible some info could come out that could have incriminated a former assistant further, or a friend/booster, I mean I just don't know, and it may not have come down directly on Rick but it could have damaged somebody else that he cared about.

Pretty much any guess is on the table. The dude may have finally tapped out with having the energy for it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT