ADVERTISEMENT

Ncaa slams Stephen F Austin

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
I truly cannot stand this governing body . Ncaa bascially gave them a death penalty totally destrpyed this school and for some things that easily should have been NC. they truly screw certain schools and surely the lesser money makers.

Now tell me this… Why didn’t the same thing happen to North Carolina or Kansas? Oh wait, we already know that answer: Stephen F. Austin doesn’t bring in the same kind of money that those blue blood schools typically do.

“The university was found to lack institutional control because it did not adequately monitor and control the athletics eligibility certification process, failed to properly apply academic certification rules and did not involve staff members from outside of athletics in the certification process,” the NCAA announced in a press release.

according to East Texas Matters:

• 117 men’s basketball wins (including the 2016 NCAA tournament win over West Virginia)
  • 112 baseball victories
  • 31 softball wins
  • 29 football wins
  • Three men’s basketball conference championships
  • Three years of probation;
  • Public reprimand and censure;
  • A fine of $5,000 plus one-half of one percent of the total budgets for football and men’s basketball;
  • The return of 50 percent of the University’s financial share earned from participation in the 2016 NCAA Tournament
  • Included in the vacation of wins are conference championships in men’s basketball in 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2017-18, as well as the program’s First Round win in the 2016 NCAA Tournament. The banners recognizing those achievements will be removed from William R. Johnson Coliseum.
  • A 2.5% reduction in financial aid awards (scholarships) in football for 2020-2021 and 2021-2022; a 5% reduction in baseball in either 2020-21 or 2021-2022 and the loss of one scholarship in men’s basketball in either 2020-2021 or 2021-22.
  • Prior to the conclusion of the probationary period, the institution will submit to a data review with APP staff.

A one-year postseason ban is not a death penalty...

Wasn't Stephen F. Austin on that list of schools facing post-season bans for academics? Seems like their programs are doomed one way or the other.

All they took from a school like that is like a death penalty . Schools like that already struggle for growth in sports . SMU has never been the same .
SMU actually got a death penalty. This school got a one-year postseason ban.

Too much butthurt in this space over Carolina.

Funny haven't heard or read too many takes even from national media people that felt NC didn't get off . Only ones not butthurt about it are the pro Carolina fans .

And I 'm not a fan that ever compares our situation to theirs diffrent in every way. Only issue I have is The obvious cheating committed by that institution however not a lack of institutional control . Which indeed made their athletes ineligible and they skated clean. Slap in the face to every school .

I don’t have any problem with UNC but having fake classes for athletes for 30 years and no penalties ? I think there was a battle and UNC won we should take a page from their book and fight the NCAA on anything.

Reactions: zipp and Deeva
I don’t have any problem with UNC but having fake classes for athletes for 30 years and no penalties ? I think there was a battle and UNC won we should take a page from their book and fight the NCAA on anything.

I'll be honest and say I was on board with the Smrt way of doing things (self ban, self report, comply and admit everything) back at the time. But we have enough data now that says that is not the way to do it and Louisville should passionately fight the rest of the way. Hang the banners up and dare them to take them down. Have Katina and her thicc stanky nasty trick *ss ho's do a live performance with Snoop Dogg in front of the Yum Center. Ok, no one wants that last one, but yeah fight!

I don't think the plan in 2016 was to self impose because Smrt said so. That clown was brought in to give an appearance of integrity to the investigation. Any decision making was supposed to be the sole responsibility of U of L management. We had a Prez under siege at the time who tried to make that decision himself.

Jurich wouldn't have self imposed had the decision been his. How do I know? What did he do when the NCAA put a show cause on Clint Hurtt? He thumbed his nose.

Jurich stood behind his operation and the people in it. And he would have fought that time as well had the decision been his. Since his termination, his message has been consistent in that regard. Those banners would still be hanging in Bailout Arena. The only people saying otherwise are clown show apologists...

I don't think the plan in 2016 was to self impose because Smrt said so. That clown was brought in to give an appearance of integrity to the investigation. Any decision making was supposed to be the sole responsibility of U of L management. We had a Prez under siege at the time who tried to make that decision himself.

Jurich wouldn't have self imposed had the decision been his. How do I know? What did he do when the NCAA put a show cause on Clint Hurtt? He thumbed his nose.

Jurich stood behind his operation and the people in it. And he would have fought that time as well had the decision been his. Since his termination, his message has been consistent in that regard. Those banners would still be hanging in Bailout Arena. The only people saying otherwise are clown show apologists...

A lot to unpack here but Jurich’s handling on Clint Hurtt was a good predictor of how he would handle Pitino post-Katina. He was comfortable with the risk of having a violator of NCAA rules on coaching staffs. Hurtt worked out, Pitino didn’t. To equivocate the Hurtt situation with self-imposing in basketball is poor on your part. Just to add a little of contradictions to this you’ve been adamant that Jurich wouldn’t have paid Petrino the full buyout, but he did for Kragthorpe. So using that logic clearly he would’ve paid Petrino just the same as he did Krags.

As for the rest of this, you seem to enjoy ignoring contemporaneous statements by Jurich and then latch on to his after-the-fact musings. How convenient! To accept that viewpoint would then suggest that Jurich was too chicken-$hit to stand up to Ramsey and was fine throwing Lee and Lewis under the bus because he was scared. That’s not the Tom Jurich I know.

A lot to unpack here but Jurich’s handling on Clint Hurtt was a good predictor of how he would handle Pitino post-Katina. He was comfortable with the risk of having a violator of NCAA rules on coaching staffs. Hurtt worked out, Pitino didn’t. To equivocate the Hurtt situation with self-imposing in basketball is poor on your part...
Pitino was not found to have violated NCAA rules; in fact, the NCAA exonerated him. And Jurich was comfortable taking the word of Hurtt over that of the NCAA. These issues have nothing to do with self imposing--they're about decision making and acting.
...Just to add a little of contradictions to this you’ve been adamant that Jurich wouldn’t have paid Petrino the full buyout, but he did for Kragthorpe. So using that logic clearly he would’ve paid Petrino just the same as he did Krags...
K-rag got a $2 million buyout. The issue there was litigating a lower payout. And there was no evidence I ever heard that K-rag violated performance language in his contract. That's unlike Petrino's situation: ask @gocds.
...As for the rest of this, you seem to enjoy ignoring contemporaneous statements by Jurich and then latch on to his after-the-fact musings. How convenient! To accept that viewpoint would then suggest that Jurich was too chicken-$hit to stand up to Ramsey and was fine throwing Lee and Lewis under the bus because he was scared. That’s not the Tom Jurich I know.
Jurich backed Ramsey who was his boss. That doesn't mean he would have made the same decision--in this case, he would not. That's probably one of the biggest reasons that Doc made it clear that it was "my decision", ill fated as it was...

“Pitino, cited for a failure to monitor, will be suspended for the first five Atlantic Coast Conference games in the 2017-18 season, and the school will be placed on four years of probation.”

You are wrong.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Pitino was not found to have violated NCAA rules; in fact, the NCAA exonerated him. And Jurich was comfortable taking the word of Hurtt over that of the NCAA. These issues have nothing to do with self imposing--they're about decision making and acting.

K-rag got a $2 million buyout. The issue there was litigating a lower payout. And there was no evidence I ever heard that K-rag violated performance language in his contract. That's unlike Petrino's situation: ask @gocds.

Jurich backed Ramsey who was his boss. That doesn't mean he would have made the same decision--in this case, he would not. That's probably one of the biggest reasons that Doc made it clear that it was "my decision", ill fated as it was...

The Ncaa did not exonerate Pitino. He was going to miss game for the Powell scandal and they accused him for failure to monitor the program for the Fbi scandal. Outside of a few message board posters, nobody has accused Pitino of being actively involved in the fbi scandal.

Jurich didn't take Hurtt's word over anyone. He was suspended by the ncaa and served the suspension. He was a great recruiter and underrated on the field coach imo so we decided to take the 1 year suspension to keep him around.

Comparing the Hurtt situation with the fallout from the stripper scandal is the same as comparing paying Krags small buyout to paying Petrino's. If Hurtt keeps his nose clean for a year we face 0 penalties and its a footnote. The response to it is nothing like the response to the stripper scandal. When we decided to self impose we were facing major penalties.

Deciding to back your boss is a decision in that case. Unless you have some sort of inside knowledge that Jurich was opposed to self imposing and forced to do it against his will he supported the decision. His actions in a completely different situation where we really face no penalties is not the same thing.

Reactions: gocds
In the discussion of “buyouts” with Krag vs. Petrino, Vince simply lived with the huge error made by Tom Jurich in giving Petrino such a huge and totally unnecessary $14 million buyout. My ONLY question about Vince’s tenure here is that I thought a very serious case should have been made that Petrino should have been fired for cause. It’s my understanding that there are literally millions still on the table to be “paid” out on that buyout. Perhaps there are some negotiations ongoing. AT least I hope so.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

This thread is going to go 10+ pages and people who don't show up much are going to see it and say "WTF 10 pages on SFA?"

“K-rag got a $2 million buyout. The issue there was litigating a lower payout. And there was no evidence I ever heard that K-rag violated performance language in his contract. That's unlike Petrino's situation: ask @gocds.“

What provisions of his contract were violated? Surely you aren’t relying on another poster to do your “research”.

Jurich backed Ramsey who was his boss. That doesn't mean he would have made the same decision--in this case, he would not. That's probably one of the biggest reasons that Doc made it clear that it was "my decision", ill fated as it was...[/QUOTE]

“Please, nobody blame Dr. Ramsey,” Pitino said. “Tom Jurich made this decision. Dr. Ramsey had to OK the decision. ... My faith is in Tom Jurich. He is a great AD. Did he hurt us? More than you can imagine.”

You seemed to really believe Pitino when he said he went against his lawyers advice in walking away from $40M. So I guess you believe his contemporaneous quote in this situation as well?

“Please, nobody blame Dr. Ramsey,” Pitino said. “Tom Jurich made this decision. Dr. Ramsey had to OK the decision. ... My faith is in Tom Jurich. He is a great AD. Did he hurt us? More than you can imagine.”

You seemed to really believe Pitino when he said he went against his lawyers advice in walking away from $40M. So I guess you believe his contemporaneous quote in this situation as well?[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct. The only reason “dick” walked away was because he was legally behind the 8 ball and he couldn’t win. Of course his attorneys wanted him to “fight on” because that fattens their fees. But he finally made a good decision - walk away and you can maybe hold your head up because if you don’t walk away this “other stuff” will be revealed in court and I’ll continue the shame of my years at UofL and the ego kicked in.

On Clint Hurtt...

Louisville AD supports assistant Clint Hurtt despite NCAA penalties

"...Jurich did not dispute the NCAA's allegations that Hurtt received and provided impermissible benefits to recruits while at Miami, choosing only to address the unethical conduct charge as a difference of opinion."

Unlike clowns and his former boss, Jurich never fell on an NCAA sword. He rightfully just gave the NCAA lip service.

And he has said in interviews since he "retired" that he would have fought the NCAA ruling that removed the banners. Clowns didn't care if the banners were removed which is why they're down...

On Ramsey's decision to self impose...

Commentary: Another airball from the University of Louisville

"This is why you don’t preemptively penalize yourself.

By 'this,' I mean the fallout from this week’s bombshell that there was no new information that led to University of Louisville President James Ramsey’s decision to impose a postseason ban on the men’s basketball team..."

As evidence if I could find it, I'd post a photo of the "Fire Ramsey" banner hung from a downtown bar the day after the announcement.

That was the public outpouring that prompted Pitino and Jurich to bail out Ramsey. Both guys knew that Jurich had the cred with fans and donors to make that decision. Jurich backed his boss even when the latter was screwing up...

...You seemed to really believe Pitino when he said he went against his lawyers advice in walking away from $40M. So I guess you believe his contemporaneous quote in this situation as well?
So what would have been Pitino's motivation to have lied about his attorney's counsel? And what would have been their motive to allow Pitino to lie publicly about that as well?...

On Clint Hurtt...

Louisville AD supports assistant Clint Hurtt despite NCAA penalties

"...Jurich did not dispute the NCAA's allegations that Hurtt received and provided impermissible benefits to recruits while at Miami, choosing only to address the unethical conduct charge as a difference of opinion."

Unlike clowns and his former boss, Jurich never fell on an NCAA sword. He rightfully just gave the NCAA lip service.

And he has said in interviews since he "retired" that he would have fought the NCAA ruling that removed the banners. Clowns didn't care if the banners were removed which is why they're down...

The only thing hurtt got in trouble for was receiving money from nevin shapiro. He took the 1 season penalty. Why would be the point of Jurich fighting it? It was a speeding ticket in the grand scheme of things. Its nowhere near the level of penalty we were facing when we took a post season ban.

Saying what you would have done after the fact is great after the fact but when you took the job we willing took a post season ban.

...The only reason “dick” walked away was because he was legally behind the 8 ball and he couldn’t win...he finally made a good decision - walk away and you can maybe hold your head up because if you don’t walk away this “other stuff” will be revealed in court and I’ll continue the shame of my years at UofL and the ego kicked in...
That's just speculation on your part. It was widely reported that Pitino's chances at getting a new college gig were compromised by this lawsuit. Same story with all coaches and former employers...
...Of course his attorneys wanted him to “fight on” because that fattens their fees...
I'm also not sure you recognize how successful attorneys operate...

The only thing hurtt got in trouble for was receiving money from nevin shapiro. He took the 1 season penalty. Why would be the point of Jurich fighting it? It was a speeding ticket in the grand scheme of things. Its nowhere near the level of penalty we were facing when we took a post season ban.

Saying what you would have done after the fact is great after the fact but when you took the job we willing took a post season ban.
So what was the "difference of opinion"?

Unlike a speeding ticket, a show cause order is the most serious penalty that can be assessed against a coach...

Last edited:
So what would have been Pitino's motivation to have lied about his attorney's counsel? And what would have been their motive to allow Pitino to lie publicly about that as well?...

If you can’t understand the reasons Pitino might lie or exaggerate about his position and his counsels position then you aren’t nearly as savvy as you think.

If you can’t understand the reasons Pitino might lie or exaggerate about his position and his counsels position then you aren’t nearly as savvy as you think.
Good answer when you don’t have one...

SMU actually got a death penalty. This school got a one-year postseason ban.

Too much butthurt in this space over Carolina.

hahahaha...the irony of this coming from the guy who has so much butthurt over Vince Tyra is magnificent. What a complete a$$ you are on here, and probably in all facets of life.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
hahahaha...the irony of this coming from the guy who has so much butthurt over Vince Tyra is magnificent. What a complete a$$ you are on here, and probably in all facets of life.

Hey you are standing too close to the “pissing into the wind” thingy. Fair warning, you are going to get wet. :p

Just as you struggle to admit when you have a losing argument, Rick also struggles to absorb and acknowledge anything that deflates his ego.
Deflections, not answers.
^^^ Guy who responds to a "complete a$$." ^^^​

And as a matter of fact, I've grown to love "Vince"...

giphy.gif

Deflections, not answers.

^^^ Guy who responds to a "complete a$$." ^^^​

And as a matter of fact, I've grown to love "Vince"...

giphy.gif

Let me simplify. Rick’s ego prevented him from acknowledging that he had a losing case. So he created a narrative that allowed him to preserve some personal dignity. Your ego prevents you from acknowledging that you have multiple losing arguments in this thread.

Let me simplify. Rick’s ego prevented him from acknowledging that he had a losing case. So he created a narrative that allowed him to preserve some personal dignity. Your ego prevents you from acknowledging that you have multiple losing arguments in this thread.
Pitino didn’t say he had a “winning case.” He said he was acting in opposition to the advice of his counsel. And from their silence, they apparently agreed with that. Those are facts and logical inferences.

Everything else is your speculation and narrative. And since you raised the issue of Pitino’s credibility, apparently you think you have more than he does. Funny stuff...

Pitino didn’t say he had a “winning case.” He said he was acting in opposition to the advice of his counsel. And from their silence, they apparently agreed with that. Those are facts and logical inferences.

Everything else is your speculation and narrative. And since you raised the issue of Pitino’s credibility, apparently you think you have more than he does. Funny stuff...

Whose silence proves they agree with Pitino? We weren't going to hear anything publicly from his lawyers and he and the school had just settled for no money. There was probably some language that both would shut up about it and even if it wasn't it would be pointless to come out and refute Pitino. You basically got everything you wanted. Tyra etc.. would be beyond stupid to start arguing with Pitino again after he settled.

Of course Pitino's lawyers didn't want him to settle. Even if he was wrong the school would likely settle for some money at some point just to get past it. The lawyers were getting paid either way the longer the case went.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT