ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Growth

There lies the difference between those who love the NBA and those that do not. By far, the NBA is the most individual player-centric sport of all major team sports. That is why basketball players tend to be the biggest divas. It all starts with the example set as the games highest level.
When the NBA has storylines that echo what I love about sports - outstanding tactics and team play trump individuality - then I might care. But we just observed Memorial day. And as someone who knows all too well what that holiday stands for, pardon me if I have a distaste for the hypocrisy of a multi-millionare, whose stardom elicits preferencial treatment by officials, then uses their exposure as a pulpit to carry on about how racist our country is. Jackie Robinson and Ali had an argument. These overpaid prima donnas do not.

The NBA markets players no doubt, but it's a team game. One player can definitely change a game drastically, but one player can't win a game alone.

LeBron James is a great player and teammate. Yes, he pissed me and many others off with his "The Decision", but since he's gone back to Cleveland the guy has been humble and a great teammate.

Watch his postgame interview from Game 7, he's very appreciative of his teammates efforts. Interview starts at 1:17.

NBA basketball gives the world's best players a place to play the sport after college. But the robbery of talent by utterly profit-driven, expansive and invasive NBA has caused a slump in the overall quality of the college game. This is not even arguable. Watching Mitchell and Rozier play and remembering the days of guys playing post-grad pro careers makes one weep.

Baseball in college has experienced a fascinating renaissance simply because of the limits placed on eligibility at the pro level. Granted, the servitude of minor leaguers at slave wages is also a hugely contributing factor, but the college game resembles nothing less, at its highest levels than AA Pro Baseball. It has become exciting, competitive and hugely talented. This year's draft may feature the most college players taken in earlier rounds than ever before. The best coaches in the sport experience long, stable careers and now, well-paying careers instead of facing ownership with the patience of a gnat.

I lost interest in the NBA during the mayhem era featured by the Bad Boy Pistons and the pleading for freedom of movement made by anyone with basketball sense. The refs had made the game unwatchable. For may people, watching the standard physical mayhem applied to Lebron or Steph brings those memories back again.

The NBA also damaged itself by taking all those young guys needing 3 years experience before becoming average or even competent at the game. It became far less interesting, frankly.

As someone who grew up watching Wilt, Havlichek, Gus Williams, Dennis Johnson, Barkley, Magi, Bird, Cowens, Dr J, even Griff, Derek Smith and Wes - today's pro game is a shallow reflection.

Reactions: Mayoman
There lies the difference between those who love the NBA and those that do not. By far, the NBA is the most individual player-centric sport of all major team sports. That is why basketball players tend to be the biggest divas. It all starts with the example set as the games highest level.
When the NBA has storylines that echo what I love about sports - outstanding tactics and team play trump individuality - then I might care. But we just observed Memorial day. And as someone who knows all too well what that holiday stands for, pardon me if I have a distaste for the hypocrisy of a multi-millionare, whose stardom elicits preferencial treatment by officials, then uses their exposure as a pulpit to carry on about how racist our country is. Jackie Robinson and Ali had an argument. These overpaid prima donnas do not.

Unless all racism died after the civil rights movement then you really have no point.

Howie Lindsey's show "Louisville First" first sports segment today was all about the Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals, further discussion about LeBron James, and the Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals, and lastly a discussion about the NBA Finals. That was all discussed before they even talked about UofL baseball's game on Sunday versus FSU and the upcoming Regionals.....and that was on a UofL focused show!

The majority of Americans like the NBA too as it is the 2nd most popular sports league in the USA, only behind the NFL.
Like the NBA, none of that ish even registers with me.

My attitude about most decisions in the real world that have the public's attention is that you can often tell where you stand simply by looking at who's for and against it. And I just find this list of people and things on the same side of this issue interesting to the point of fascinating...

LPT fans
Pitino Lite
Bailout Arena (AKA LAA)
Downtown hacks and politicians
Dan Issel and J Brucie
(Maybe) U of L, Gruesome, and Fanboy
Maddie Bangs
pig

And I'm sure to be leaving off a couple others that make the list even more compelling. Posters feel free to add them...

Howie Lindsey's show "Louisville First" first sports segment today was all about the Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals, further discussion about LeBron James, and the Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals, and lastly a discussion about the NBA Finals. That was all discussed before they even talked about UofL baseball's game on Sunday versus FSU and the upcoming Regionals.....and that was on a UofL focused show!

The majority of Americans like the NBA too as it is the 2nd most popular sports league in the USA, only behind the NFL.
Like the NBA, none of that ish even registers with me.

My attitude about most decisions in the real world that have the public's attention is that you can often tell where you stand simply by looking at who's for and against it. And I just find this list of people and things on the same side of this issue interesting to the point of fascinating...

LPT fans
Pitino Lite
Bailout Arena (AKA LAA)
Downtown hacks and politicians
Dan Issel and J Brucie
(Maybe) U of L, Gruesome, and Fanboy
Maddie Bangs
pig

And I'm sure to be leaving off a couple others that make the list even more compelling. Posters feel free to add them...

And another deflection by Weed! Can’t inject anything substantive to the discussion so try to steer the discussion to NBA to Louisville so he can sow seeds of discontent and divide everyone.

Man you are so easy to figure out! It’s really pathetic and on some level kinda funny.

And another deflection by Weed! Can’t inject anything substantive to the discussion so try to steer the discussion to NBA to Louisville so he can sow seeds of discontent and divide everyone.

Man you are so easy to figure out! It’s really pathetic and on some level kinda funny.
You get irritated easily (which I like)...

Pardon the interruption, but I think you need a new hobby.

Reactions: zipp

You get irritated easily (which I like)...

Reread my post....I’m laughing at you! You’re pathetic.

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I can watch college basketball all day long from November to March. I attempted watching the NBA finals last year and couldn't make it through more than a quarter twice. It's in the same category as the NFL for me, I'll read about it when I'm bored, but I have no interest in the actual product.

I assume since being a UK fan that you're probably not a college football fan either. Hey, maybe you guys could drop down to D2 and it would be more watchable for you ladies.
I watch college football every time it’s on

I watch college football every time it’s on
It's the only chance you have to see what college football teams look like...

GuyandLSU_zps2c9aa69f.jpg

Reactions: Chapman123
yeah the NBA is getting better but as others have stated; they've drove the talent level down by having too many teams.

i'd cut a few at this point. take the lowest ranking teams and just cut em.

and no zipp. louisville isn't getting anything close to a pro anything. small poor cities need not apply.

Reactions: zipp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT