ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Growth

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
I have never seen as many people in my circle of friends and coworkers this interested in the NBA since the Jordan days in Chicago. The NBA certainly has it going well. The game is so much more interesting to watch than college basketball. Never thought I would type that, but it’s the reality. The freedom of movement and shooting really has made it enjoyable to watch. Also much fewer fouls and foul shots!

I have never seen as many people in my circle of friends and coworkers this interested in the NBA since the Jordan days in Chicago. The NBA certainly has it going well. The game is so much more interesting to watch than college basketball. Never thought I would type that, but it’s the reality. The freedom of movement and shooting really has made it enjoyable to watch. Also much fewer fouls and foul shots!
Glad to hear you have found a new interest. Me? I'll be watching Stanley Cup Playoffs, Women's CWS, Men's Regionals and perhaps reading a good book.

The NBA is a bastardized version of basketball. The dunks are cool, watching former Cards is fun, playoff drama is entertaining, but how the pro's play the game is an insult to the sport.

Bastardized?

You mean like actually scoring from all 5 positions, not winning with only with 50 points scored, and not having continual stops in play due to tv timeouts and constant fouling down the stretch?

Give me bastardized all day....it’s what college basketball used to be.

When players with local ties are doing well there will be increased interest around here. It’s been awhile since that has happened.

The NBA sucks. And I thought KozmasAgain’s post was on point. But that’s just me. You continue your “anti” Louisville bias with your idiotic posting. I assume you’ll be first in line to purchase your “NBA” season tickets when they come to our fair city.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: zipp and wilkie01
The NBA sucks. And I thought KozmasAgain’s post was on point. But that’s just me. You continue your “anti” Louisville bias with your idiotic posting. I assume you’ll be first in line to purchase your “NBA” season tickets when they come to our fair city.

Please explain how any part of the OP has anti-Louisville bias?

Quit trying to spread hate and discontent.

Reactions: Chapman123
An NBA franchise here is anti UofL basketball. Actually that’s pretty damn simple and I’m surprised that a Speed School graduate can’t figure that out. Would you please explain how this is NOT the case?

Reactions: wilkie01
Bastardized?

You mean like actually scoring from all 5 positions, not winning with only with 50 points scored, and not having continual stops in play due to tv timeouts and constant fouling down the stretch?

College basketball is fundamentals, about team. NBA is about individuals. It's about lack of basics.

Reactions: wilkie01
Bastardized?

College basketball is fundamentals, about team. NBA is about individuals. It's about lack of basics.

Fundamentals?

Like Deng Adel inability to dribble the ball and walking on an inbounds pass.

Like VJ King’s inability to consistently make jump shots.

Like Anas’ inability to body any player in the post and instead always looking to block shots.

An NBA franchise here is anti UofL basketball. Actually that’s pretty damn simple and I’m surprised that a Speed School graduate can’t figure that out. Would you please explain how this is NOT the case?

Please quote where I suggested an NBA team come to Louisville?

Go take your meds you seem to be a bit paranoid.

I literally have not watched one second of the NBA since I was a kid. Even then, I only assume I did because of Jordan. From highlights I've seen, It seems to me like a bunch of whiney ass grown men who are always posturing up to eachother violently but dont ever do anything. At least in hockey, those guys know if they run their sucker they have to back it up with their fist.

Even if Louisville got an NBA team, I wouldnt watch a second of it.

Reactions: zipp and wilkie01
I literally have not watched one second of the NBA since I was a kid. Even then, I only assume I did because of Jordan. From highlights I've seen, It seems to me like a bunch of whiney ass grown men who are always posturing up to eachother violently but dont ever do anything. At least in hockey, those guys know if they run their sucker they have to back it up with their fist.

Even if Louisville got an NBA team, I wouldnt watch a second of it.

Well if you’re going to offer your opinion on the NBA game you might actually try to watch a game or two. Makes for a much more stronger argument.

It’s ironic that the people with the most negative reactions to the NBA are those who say they wont watch it. Hmmmm. Maybe there is a connection?

The TV ratings and attendance numbers have been very strong for the NBA this year. I don’t have a team I root for but did watch a little bit of D Mitchell this year and a little bit of the Warriors or Cavs if they are on. The rest of the teams dont interest me. However the ratings indicate that a lot of folks must like the product.

I watched the Bos/Cle game last night. I don't get into the 7 game series stuff but will occasionally watch an elimination game. It was entertaining. If Louisville had a team I would watch loyally. And I don't believe it would hurt UofL.

I watched the Bos/Cle game last night. I don't get into the 7 game series stuff but will occasionally watch an elimination game. It was entertaining. If Louisville had a team I would watch loyally. And I don't believe it would hurt UofL.
I think it would definitely hurt UL. There are only so many entertainment $'s to go around. The NBA plays 41 home games not counting playoffs, so season tickets are very expensive. UL is highly dependent on the sale of the Suites and other premium seating. I would say it is highly unlikely people/businesses are going to buy these seats for both. Sure some people who attend the NBA games will be people that don't currently attend UL games, but there would definitely be a drain of revenue from UL. Additionally, an NBA team will not come here without control of the Arena. UL currently has that. The politicos will put tremendous pressure on UL to give that up and UL will back to where they were in Freedom Hall. Having to schedule around other events. This whole mess is why TJ never really wanted the YUM. He wanted an on campus arena because he knew NBA to Louisville Shit-Storm would eventually blow in. But the Politicos were going to Torpedo any chance to build an on Campus Arena by not approving the project in the Legislature so TJ cut the best deal he could, and was unfairly criticized for "Cheating the Arena" out its fair share of revenue.

This thread was not about the NBA coming to Louisville. It’s a discussion about the game compared to the college product.

The NBA reminds me of wrestling.
Y
The team that is likely to make the league the most money wins most of the time

Yea just like the small market San Antonio Spurs who dominated the late 2000’s. Small market Cleveland. Small market Oakland (Warriors).

Good post, OP. College basketball has become nearly unwatchable. For a basketball junkie like myself, the nba has been very pleasant to watch after the college basketball season.

College basketball needs to drop the shot clock a few more seconds, widen the lane, and move the 3 back another six inches. Basketball is supposed to be about skill and athleticism. Not hacking, grabbing, and throwing yourself in front of a defender and flopping the the ground because you’re not athletic enough to guard your man

Reactions: Sultan__of__Swine
Fundamentals?

Like Deng Adel inability to dribble the ball and walking on an inbounds pass.

Like VJ King’s inability to consistently make jump shots.

Like Anas’ inability to body any player in the post and instead always looking to block shots.

You know exactly what I'm talking about.

Good post, OP. College basketball has become nearly unwatchable. For a basketball junkie like myself, the nba has been very pleasant to watch after the college basketball season.

College basketball needs to drop the shot clock a few more seconds, widen the lane, and move the 3 back another six inches. Basketball is supposed to be about skill and athleticism. Not hacking, grabbing, and throwing yourself in front of a defender and flopping the the ground because you’re not athletic enough to guard your man
I assume since being a UK fan that you're probably not a college football fan either. Hey, maybe you guys could drop down to D2 and it would be more watchable for you ladies.

Yea just like the small market San Antonio Spurs who dominated the late 2000’s. Small market Cleveland. Small market Oakland (Warriors).

Cleveland is about to lose Lebron for the 2nd time. San antonio is a success story but i’d love to see how they do once Pop leaves. Oakland isnt a small market team. They are in the bay area which is massive and filled with tech money. Now that they are winning they are moving to san fransico btw.

I doubt the NBA ever comes to Louisville but who knows. Living in Houston I watch the Rockets a lot. Sultan is right about how incredibly talented these guys are. But regular season games can get boring at times. The playoffs are a different story.

You know what is really exciting about the NBA? The same two teams in the NBA finals for the fourth straight year! Woo hoo! Gotta watch me some of that parity and drama.

Reactions: arizan
You know what is really exciting about the NBA? The same two teams in the NBA finals for the fourth straight year! Woo hoo! Gotta watch me some of that parity and drama.
Same as when I was a kid. Back then it was Celtics vs. the 76ers in the East and then off to play the Lakers in the Finals. Russ and Hondo vs. Wilt, Hal and Billy C, then Elgin and Jerry, among others. It was BB at a high level.

This thread was not about the NBA coming to Louisville. It’s a discussion about the game compared to the college product.

Hard to discuss one without the other.

But to add to your intended topic, I will say I am in favor of:

College moving to quarters [loved the NIT format when they used it last year].

College backing up the 3pt line.

NBA dropping to 5 fouls instead of 6. [That will never happen but it would make the game more interesting in my opinion]

So, pig likes the NBA too. Why am I not surprised?...

Howie Lindsey's show "Louisville First" first sports segment today was all about the Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals, further discussion about LeBron James, and the Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals, and lastly a discussion about the NBA Finals. That was all discussed before they even talked about UofL baseball's game on Sunday versus FSU and the upcoming Regionals.....and that was on a UofL focused show!

The majority of Americans like the NBA too as it is the 2nd most popular sports league in the USA, only behind the NFL.

I have to agree that the pro game is more entertaining right now, sad really...there are a few pro's now that are just unreal, other world like abilities that is impossible not to appreciate...it's not just the Kobe ability to separate and make a shot, but guy's firing away from the hashmark on a regular basis, all the off screen options are like the triple threat read option in college FB. If you haven't checked out a game (not just highlights) it's really worth a look...I understand the hate, I've been a life long hater of the NBA until just the last couple of years, but it's a shame people are passing on watching Terry or Donovan. That was a ton of fun. As far as the hired gun mentality, College feels the same way now to me and the college game is just slow and boring by comparison...and it pains me to say that.

Sure it would be nice to see a different matchup, but the fans are getting to see arguably the best two players in the World facing off in LeBron James and Steph Curry.

Yeah, how ironic to have both series go 7 games and end up with the same two teams from last year with Lebron going up against Curry and Durant even though Celtics and Rockets had home court advantage. It’s fixed for entertainment just like pro wrestling.

Yeah, how ironic to have both series go 7 games and end up with the same two teams from last year with Lebron going up against Curry and Durant even though Celtics and Rockets had home court advantage. It’s fixed for entertainment just like pro wrestling.

Yea, it's fixed, the Rockets decided to have Chris Paul get hurt before Game 6 and have him sit out Game 7 as well. The Rockets and the NBA decided that they Rockets would shoot 7-44 (15.9%) from three in Game 7. It was a well laid out plan where the NBA got all the Rockets players to agree to throw the game and give it to the Warriors. The NBA decided that the Rockets would be the best team to keep it a secret because they are more responsible on social media than the Warriors!

I guess you think Neil Armstrong never landed on the moon as well.

Sure it would be nice to see a different matchup, but the fans are getting to see arguably the best two players in the World facing off in LeBron James and Steph Curry.

There lies the difference between those who love the NBA and those that do not. By far, the NBA is the most individual player-centric sport of all major team sports. That is why basketball players tend to be the biggest divas. It all starts with the example set as the games highest level.
When the NBA has storylines that echo what I love about sports - outstanding tactics and team play trump individuality - then I might care. But we just observed Memorial day. And as someone who knows all too well what that holiday stands for, pardon me if I have a distaste for the hypocrisy of a multi-millionare, whose stardom elicits preferencial treatment by officials, then uses their exposure as a pulpit to carry on about how racist our country is. Jackie Robinson and Ali had an argument. These overpaid prima donnas do not.

Yea, it's fixed, the Rockets decided to have Chris Paul get hurt before Game 6 and have him sit out Game 7 as well. The Rockets and the NBA decided that they Rockets would shoot 7-44 (15.9%) from three in Game 7. It was a well laid out plan where the NBA got all the Rockets players to agree to throw the game and give it to the Warriors. The NBA decided that the Rockets would be the best team to keep it a secret because they are more responsible on social media than the Warriors!

I guess you think Neil Armstrong never landed on the moon as well.
Nope but I do believe pigs can fly...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT