ADVERTISEMENT

My Q&A with BC's EagleAction site...

Howie Lindsey

Elite Member
Silver Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, KY
www.cardinalsports.com
1) What is the general mood around the program right now? Are fans happy with this season or do they feel L'Ville is behind schedule?

Louisville fans are pretty upset about it. But I think the reasonable fans understand the program just lost 10 NFL Draft picks and another 3 or 4 undrafted free agents and their toughest part of the schedule was the first six games (No offense intended for BC, of course). Before the season, most fans predicted a 3-3 start in those first six games so 2-4 is not that far off.

I think fans expected a better defensive performance so far, and no one really expected Houston to be that good (and reasonably Louisville coughed that win up with turnovers). But there weren't a whole lot of people predicting wins over Auburn, Clemson or Florida State in the preseason.

2) Talk about Lamar Jackson. Was he expected to win the starting job this year? How would you access his performance?

Lamar Jackson has been an absolute revelation for Louisville. The debate in the preseason was which one of the three veteran QBs would take over the spot full-time - Will Gardner, Reggie Bonnafon or Kyle Bolin. Gardner hasn't returned to full health yet, but Louisville used three different quarterbacks in the first four games and Jackson has clearly won the job moving forward.

3) Who are the key players on the L'Ville offense?

Jackson is the engine that makes everything go. He's so fast out of the pocket and has such quick feet that he could reasonably run for a pair of touchdowns in this game, and that's against a great Boston College defense. He'll be the fastest QB the Eagles have faced or probably will face. He's a full two tenths of a second faster than Golson at FSU.

Beyond Jackson, tight end Micky Crum is a big key as are wideouts James Quick, Jamari Staples and Devante Peete, the latter being a great 6-foot-6 option inside the red zone.

4)What is the major strength and major weakness of the L'Ville defense?

The front seven is really good, but not nearly as good as we thought it was going to be. I like what I've seen from the defensive line so far, but the linebackers and secondary have not been as good as most expected. Louisville's corners lack some physicality and the Cardinals have given up big chunks of yards at times on big plays.

Louisville should be great at stuffing the run. With a pair of great defensive tackles, they should be better than they have been so far this season. Beyond that, playmakers Josh Harvey-Clemons and Devonte Fields have a lot to prove after having poor second half performances vs. Florida State.

5) Any key injuries heading into this one?

Linebacker Keith Brown is out for the first half after a targeting call in the FSU game. Linebacker Keith Kelsey is back after missing most of the second half with what appeared to be a concussion. Everyone else should be good, I think.

6)Who wins and why?

I think Louisville moves into the lead early on the feet of Lamar Jackson and the Louisville defense has the chance to pin its ears back and rush the passer. I don't get the sense that BC is all that comfortable in the passing game, but I could be wrong. I see Louisville winning 14-10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News