ADVERTISEMENT

Miami

It is a young team playing in a good conference. They can’t trust anyone at this point. He has been addressing but every move he makes blows up. Very similar to year after Covid. Players trying to do way too much at plate. Pitchers not handling adversity. Fielding falling apart at key times. Injuries.

One of those years in a really good conference.

Reactions: 2330859
Cycle said it best ….”it’s a young team playing in a tough baseball conference”! We could beat any team in America on a given night, and yet lose to any team on a given night as well.

Reactions: Bardman
Zipp;;would you share the content of that program presentation by Dan? I would be particularly interested in whether you interpreted anything from Dan on his participation in the Portal going forward.

No problem.

On the portal, CDM said that he wasn't opposed to using it. My take is that he says that in defense of his position not to rely on it. He reiterated his emphasis on developing players internally to address needs. He also commented that he would research any player who contacts him about transferring.

That last sentence IMO sums up CDM's view of the portal, passive vs active. His coaches are apparently not scouring a list of available transfers. And this is even after laboring through another season of pitching that has been somewhat disappointing by the standards his program has set.

None of that was surprising to hear for me, but it's worth hearing again to clarify it or to see if his attitude is changing. Doesn't appear to be changing, at least not yet. It's also worth mentioning that the portal issue was addressed on the air for everyone to hear it.

His NIL comment was made off the air. And paraphrasing, it was more or less his recognizing that he needs to do more to pursue it. Again, that sounds kinda passive to me and consistent with his portal comments. CDM is old school and has a system that has mostly worked. I love the guy, but it will be interesting to see how much of his success continues along with everything else that's changing.

FWIW, my wife has remarked on a couple occasions that CDM appears to be showing a little more wear and tear this year. Of course, we're all getting older!... :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2330859
My take is McD has been slow to take advantage of the portal because he is pretty conservative and has seen his system work for years. I also think he worries, rightly so, about being able to recruit as effectively if he starts to use the portal more aggressively. Argument goes "Come to UofL and we are going to develop you and not quickly reload with players out of the portal if guys aren't phenoms as Frosh. Just look at Will Smith, Henry Davis, Drew Ellis, Brendan McKay, . . ." and so on.

With the rules on HS players not being able to be formally contacted until AUG of Junior Year, this may be an outside force that will jump start use of the portal. While there is a long line of committed players for the next several years based on the prior rules, those will presumably slow down tremendously in the next few years until that window reopens.

My hope is that he finds a happy medium with the portal. This season more than any has shown that there are talented players at every level looking for a change of environment and willing to play 4 or 5 years. If the current system works perfectly, you have only 3 yrs and the turnstiles are always turning with players coming in and out. Plugging in some proven (at the D1 level) arms, bats & gloves can make the recruiting misses easier to tolerate.

I'm shocked UK didn't want to come over for a game this week (I'm confident McD would have made it work). They are in a similar tailspin to us and you'd think a road game against a decent RPI would be a chance to improve stock. At a minimum, a loss doesn't hurt you much. Maybe they just wanted to use the short week to regroup and prepare to stop the slide.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
It has to be exhausting for coaches. They make enough to deal with it and won’t get any sympathy. Hard enough to raise money for the program now you have to do it for the kids.

Like most college sports freshman it takes time to develop. I can tell you it takes at 2-3 years for hitters to adjust to this level. Some develop quicker others take more time while others need to step down a level.

They will be fine.

Thanks Zipp; your attendance at these events over the years provides insight, as well as confirms your unrelenting loyalty to UL.

We are all indeed aging, and CDM is no exception. I love his contribution to UL and more specifically to our baseball program. He is not going to change his philosophy based on the evolution that we are witnessing.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT